A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MModal layoffs - MayraMM

Posted: Aug 17, 2013

Anyone wanting to discuss the lay offs by MModal and the commonaliities of people laid off, please contact me through the "reply by email" button below or through this board. We were fired because our jobs were outsourced.  The person who called and told about this "transition" admited it when I asked.   Company loyalty means nothing to these people; they're just big business.  I feel sorry for middle management, who probably know they're next to go.

part-time - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Will all part-time MTs be let go?

I have plenty of friends who are part time - and still working. no message below.

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh well.

Are they top tier? - MayraMM

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm wondering who they're targeting for layoffs. I think they're starting with those of us topped out. If there are part timers who are not top tier still employed, I'd be very interested in hearing from them.
I'm top tier and top paid in that tier - and still here
[ In Reply To ..]
So you are wrong
Yeah, me too. Still here. - Blows that theory to smithereens.
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
I was top tiered and topped out! - ChissyT
[ In Reply To ..]
Laid off on 08/15/2013 because my supervisor explained that they are phasing out the part-time positions.
Half-truth - artlady
[ In Reply To ..]
Please be sure to peruse this site carefully to see that we were not told the truth about that. The truth is that the jobs and American dollars were moved to India with this executive decision at MModal and apparently one that has been long in the making. I would imagine that many of the people who were slashing and burning last week are cleaning their desks out this week. Very unfotunate situation.

i survived the first set of layoffs but not the last one - oh well

[ In Reply To ..]
And was told I'd be fine when I explained my worries after the first set. Well it happened to me. Wishing no one else has to go through this

Laid also from Mmodal thi sweek - ChrissyT

[ In Reply To ..]
Same here. Supervisor told me they were slowly eliminating part-time positions. Code for it is more cost effective to send the work overseas I'm guessing.

Bingo! I would be really worried if I were a - TSM.

[ In Reply To ..]
They have a lot more to lose than us lowly peons who actually do the work for pennies.

I would think - PT

[ In Reply To ..]
would get the ax first because they don't have to pay UE for them.

MM has to pay UE for part timers. I am, and - so are my friends.

[ In Reply To ..]
Also getting TAA and start school in a few weeks. Depends on your state I guess.

Yes, Part-Timers get UE - ChrissyT

[ In Reply To ..]
Signed up for it the same day I was "laid-off" and qualified.

U.S. Institutions, hospitals, clinics, etc. - artlady

[ In Reply To ..]
In the present economic climate, (and I truly am very much a world community individual), U.S. hospitals, medical facilities, and physicians should be contracting only companies with U.S. hires. This workforce of American transcriptionsts I would imagine is made up of primarily women, many of whom are trying to support or help support their families. Very unethical treatment for these employees. I believe the only satisfaction most of us can have is see this company self-destruct and implode on itself. I hope there is a class action case somewhere in all this before the end of the year. As it moves up the food chain in the company perhaps there will be some legal issues brought into play concerning the manner in which this lay-off took place. Very unethical protocol. My understanding is that some transcriptionists were in mid-work when the plug was pulled on their job. I have never heard of such strategies for reorganization.

Effective immediately - MayraMM

[ In Reply To ..]
No notice whatsoever. Not only unethical, but I wonder about legalities, as well. Aren't we required to give notice if we quit?

At will employment. So no, you don't have to give notice - nor do they. No message

[ In Reply To ..]
xx
but if it is over 50, mass layoff, - need to follow WARN ACT.
[ In Reply To ..]
At-will is for like 1 or 3 employees, not hundreds.
As I read Warn act, it triggers at 500 employees - not 50.
[ In Reply To ..]
MModal is listed on NASDQ as having over 12,000 employees, 50 or even 100 employees is not 33% of their workforce. So it appears the number is 500 lay offs to trigger Warn act.

I am not an attorney, but the language seems pretty simple in the Warn act.
Exactly and I was told a figure in the hundredS - 3-1/2 weeks ago not including
[ In Reply To ..]
this current layoff. I would estimate close to 500 and that includes IT guys let go 3-1/2 weeks ago??
The only thing that surprises me about it is that - anyone is surprised by it.
[ In Reply To ..]
There is absolutely no way to know how many, only that it is a number between 1 and 499.

I will add my blind guess to everyone else's, within the year there will be only full-time MMEs working for MModal.

The freeze on tier testing is to determine if they currently have enough to fill their needs.

No, you're not required to give notice if you quit. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Anyone know the HIPAA stance on outsourcing? - MayraMM

[ In Reply To ..]
Bad enough the mistakes I've seen from overseas ("Lasix surgery" is one I've seen many times in recent weeks), but I wonder on confidentiality.

Also, I know the hospitals are aware of (and in many cases requested) outsourcing to keep costs down, but do the doctors know?'

Unfortunately, it's going to take a horrible mistake before people wake up and realize some things should not be outsourced.

And in the mean time, how many single moms just lost their only means of support besides me?

not laid off - Loralee S

[ In Reply To ..]
I've complained and complained and complained, thought I would get terminated or let go, but instead they said never in a million years....guess I am valuable. Now, to take care of some of their problems is another story. Sorry to hear others being let go. Again, thought I was next after all the complaining.....

It is dangerous to believe that you are valuable to this company - kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told the same thing--dont worry,no layoffs, etc. Yet less than a month of being told this,got the axe.

OFFSHORED, OFFSHORED, OFFSHORED - NOT OUTSOURCED

[ In Reply To ..]
how many times do we have to say this on the boards??????????????

To infinity and beyond, obviously. - no message

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Similar Messages:

Where Are The Layoffs
Apr 07, 2013

Unless I missed something, no one has said if there were specific regions where many MTs were laid off. Perhaps MM is going about this region by region. I am a Tier 3 part-timer and have not received a call. Of course, my mgr said it was all a rumor -- yea, right. I agree with those who said we are being replaced by India. I'd love to know MM's timetable for this -- and their thinking behind who goes here and who stays. I have had more than enough work from my primary account ...

Maybe This Had Something To Do With The Layoffs.
Aug 20, 2013

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:E0vrOZbvAZAJ:www.klasresearch.com/print/%3Furl%3D/research/export/print/segment.aspx%3Fid%3D78+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a Data was retrieved by on Saturday, August 10, 2013.   Front-End Speech (FES) – system used for real-time voice to text conversion by clinicians enabling them to start, edit, complete, and sign off on notes or reports withoutsing transcription services.&n ...

LAYOFFS/PASSWORDS
Apr 04, 2013

I know this board is consumed right now about the layoffs but I have question. HAD to call Support yesterday and today, and was told that I cannot change my password in Ipswitch. He said only the techs could do it for me and that I am not allowed to have a personal password!! Never heard of such a thing. My head is spinning after talking to him. Are all you out there able to change your password?  So sorry to the person(s) that got laid off.  A job is a job and it's always sad t ...

Layoffs/Terminations
Apr 11, 2013

Think I will get the proverbial axe on Monday or Tuesday - Tuesday should be the first day of my new pay period according to my schedule.  After the corrective action for low LPH and many other things bugging me - definitely kept asking questions and when one did not answer, or answer fully, went higher, and also to HR.  I really did love this job and it makes me so angry and depressed all at once at how things have gotten so awful!  I did finally get them to finally acknowledge t ...

April Layoffs
Jul 24, 2013

I was laid off April 4th.  Supervisor was sorry she had to make the call as there was no problem with my work.  Had been with company 16 years and worked 7 days a week, third shift, split shift, part time.  It is all working out though, collecting unemployment and in school thanks to TAA.  Everything is paid for: books, tuition, supplies and if school is 50 miles from home, a gas allowance is available.  UE office said I could attend any college I chose and that thi ...

Keystrokes Layoffs?
May 30, 2014

I just read that KS is laying off, can anyone confirm?  http://www.thelayoff.com/keystrokes-transcription-service ...

Layoffs -- If You Look In The MQ Address Book
Jun 02, 2010

nm ...

Latest Layoffs, Can We Figure Out
Jun 08, 2010

from what areas? SA4/South CCM is the same, but one regional director was changed from a guy to a woman I'm not familiar with. ...

Wonder How The Webmedx Layoffs Will Affect
Sep 02, 2010

I wonder if this is an "open the floodgates" kind of thing and will have a domino effect and more companies (like Medquist) will start laying off, too. Anybody have any comment on this? ...

Scan Medical Layoffs
May 21, 2011

I think I had posted this on the wrong board.  For those of you that lost their accounts at Scan Medical along with me where did you all go.  Did anyone try to go with the accounts to the new company or just start looking for jobs again. ...

Layoffs Curious If The Ones Laid Off
Apr 05, 2013

got an email from amy about all mt meeying on april 17?.  i got that email and 20 minutes later board was full of talks of layoffs.  just wondering if i got the email because im safe or if everyone got it ...

I Just Read The Posts Below About Layoffs.
Apr 05, 2013

The layoffs seem to be posts from Evelyn, Liz, Donna, Sue, Lee, Ruth, Pegge, Ginger and so on.  Another post stated she talked to her TSM and it was all rumors.  I do not mean to offend anyone, but I am part time and have overtime work tonight and for this weekend.  Maybe due to people being laid off??   The thing is, I do not work my hours like I should because I am so SICK of this job after being here way too many years to care anymore.  I have another job ...

Medical Transcription Layoffs
Sep 29, 2013

Many MTs are losing their jobs or grossly under-employed due to outsourcing.   The salary for many is insufficient to live off of in the USA. These MTs have been very loyal, flexible, highly productive employees that are committed to excellence.  How did we get to this point where hardworking, loyal medical transcriptionists are no longer valued as employees by even the "Best Companies?"  What can we do to keep MTs in the USA from being hungry and living in poverty level? These ...

M-Modal Hiring Now After Layoffs?
Oct 14, 2013

Why is M-Modal running an ad for hiring when they recently laid off so many transcriptionists? ...

Layoffs After EPIC Implementation
Jun 05, 2014

Has anyone worked where EPIC has been implemented?  Did transcription work pick up after initial drop off or were there layoffs? ...

Layoffs, Acquisitions, Economy, Companies. Sm
Sep 03, 2010

With the economy the way it is, layoffs happen.  Do you really think that companies like to lay people off?  If they lay people off, there is less being transcribed and less being invoiced and less profit lining their pockets.  While I agree that email seems a cold way to lay people off, what option did they have?  Everyone works remotely, right?  If they started to make phone calls, it would've caused a panic for those who weren't being laid off.  This wa ...

CONTACT LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ABOUT LAYOFFS!
Sep 03, 2010

If anyone is in the Atlanta, Georgia area or in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area who was laid off 2 days ago by Webmedx and is obviously still upset about it, as I am, I think it would be a good idea to notify any local newspapers in these 2 cities regarding the recent massive layoff at Webmedx, Inc. I believe the Atlanta office is their headquarters and the Pittsburgh office is their operations office.  I know they also have an office in Brentwood, Tennessee, but I'm ...

Don't Be Too Shocked By Christmas Layoffs And Firings
Dec 14, 2011

I used to work for a company that had an annual Christmas layoff. It was almost a joke with those of us who had survived the latest round. Most companies have a budget. In bad times they tend to run out of money at the end of the year. It's rotten and shows poor planning, but nobody should be shocked when it happens. ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...

Has Anyone Worked Anywhere In ANY Field Where Employees Were Told Of Impending Layoffs?
Sep 03, 2010

I've been working since I was 15 years old in various fields and have witnessed many, many layoffs.  Although I have usually been in a position where I was privvy to the details of when the layoff would take place and who was on the list to be cut, I have NEVER worked anywhere where the employees to be laid off were given a heads-up beforehand.  Sure, rumors would circulate about the impending cuts, but I've never heard of employers actually warning an employee that they were ...

Anyone Using MModal
May 19, 2011

and noticing that it is really not doing a good job lately.  I've not usually had problems with it when it comes to regular English-speaking doctors, but this week it has been a mess.  It is either not putting in entire sentences or putting in off the wall stuff that sounds nothing like what is being said.  I've come to expect that with ESL, but certainly not with English as native language.  Weird.  Must be taking some time off for MT week. ...

What Is MModal?
Feb 13, 2012

What is MModal company?  General typist edit company or Medical transcription company? This question is bugging me ever since this ASR took over from us.. LOL to wrap it up..   ...

SS# And MModal
Apr 30, 2012

MModal asks for your SS# on the application process of applying for jobs there!!! Thanks to some of you, I ran ran ran from this place.  When I inquired about how uncomfortable I was with sharing my SS#...I was told to just use any number.  WHAT?!!? Then why have it there!!! Who in their right mind would give their SS# to a company that hasn't even hired them yet.  I agree with the rest of you. RUN SALLY RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ...

MModal, WHY????
May 24, 2012

Why is MModal posting job openings, when so many of use are running out of work or worse falling into the pool--what with the pay cuts, VR being paid half even though it takes nearly as long to edit most reports, and the fact that I only get my "primary" accounts about 30% of the time and the rest of the time I am typing from the pool so that nearly every report that comes up is a new facility or dictator, I have gone from making $16 an hour to minimum wage. I cannot afford this. Why can' ...

Does MModal Pay OT? Nm
Oct 02, 2012

nm ...

Does MModal Pay For
Oct 17, 2012

nm ...

MModal 6 Cpl
Oct 23, 2012

I just saw that MModal has a tier 3 level where VR is 6 cpl.  Thinking is it worth it to move over when you top out at 4 cpl for acute care here. ...

New To Mmodal
Jan 03, 2013

Would someone mind briefly explaining how the QA penalty works for MModal? ...

Does Anyone Like MModal?
Jan 22, 2013

I see so many complaints about MModal. Does anyone actually like them? I'm in the hiring process and they are calling with an offer. I would like to try it out. I work in-house now, but eventually my position will be eliminated due to VR. I do not make that great of pay, and have lots of down time, but still have to sit in the office all day. I know that all companies have their ups and downs. My hospital being Union makes doing anything impossible and makes it easier to keep the "bad ...

What Has Mmodal Done To Me?
Apr 12, 2013

Well, I suppose any transciption job would do the same.  Before this profression, I was a good little girl who would never swear or cuss and even chastised others for doing so, but since becoming an MT (especially with MModal), with all these horrendous dictators and this buggy platform, if you listen from outside my office, you'd think someone locked a surly sailor with Tourettes in with me.  I've called dictators names that would make a construction worker blush.  I al ...