A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical Transcription layoffs - Hopeful

Posted: Sep 29, 2013

Many MTs are losing their jobs or grossly under-employed due to outsourcing.   The salary for many is insufficient to live off of in the USA.

These MTs have been very loyal, flexible, highly productive employees that are committed to excellence. 

How did we get to this point where hardworking, loyal medical transcriptionists are no longer valued as employees by even the "Best Companies?" 

What can we do to keep MTs in the USA from being hungry and living in poverty level? These are intelligent hardworking people that want to be employed. 

Perhaps the government or employers laying off MTS should offer free retraining for these employees and sufficient monetary support until they are trained in other fields to a proficient skill level that will allow them to compete in the workforce and gain fruitful employment. 

Who protects the MTs in this country? Is there not anyone who cares about these people's life's and their future?

As someone who is not a stranger to hunger, I ask that we pray for these MTs and pray for each other.

God bless us all.

Hopeful for a resolution.

I "liked" your post because I agree with what you said...... - Mom22dogs

[ In Reply To ..]
.....but I do strongly dislike what is happening to transcriptionists.

Everyone should get out of MT now. Its over. - I did. I will NEVER work for an MTSO again.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You won't like it but here's your answer... - just saying

[ In Reply To ..]
You asked: How did we get to this point where hardworking, loyal medical transcriptionists are no longer valued as employees by even the "Best Companies?"

Welcome to capitalism. If you don't understand by now that profits matter over people you may never understand it.

Granted, new technologies have assisted and/or replaced humans for a very long time, so it's that is *all* because of capitalistic greed. But for the most part businesses are in it for $$$ and shareholders of mega corporations do not really care about the human element - they care about dividends.

Me too - Happened to me 3 years ago

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, this same thing happened to me 3 years ago at a local hospital. I was there 26 years and they outsourced to India. Sad to say, but this is what hospitals are doing and people don't realized it. Welcome to my world.

Happened to me about 3 years ago as well. - was on my job 12 yrs and

[ In Reply To ..]
then outsourced to MModal. I lasted there for about a year and a half and now I have a new job outside of MT making significantly less money than I did when I worked in the hospital setting as an MT, but a little more than what I was making with MModal.

It sucks, but eventually from the looks of things there will no longer be transcription departments in the hospital settings any longer. I think the goal is to have it outsourced to save money.

It's going to happen to us in January 2015. - I was lucky to have figured it out SM

[ In Reply To ..]
ahead of time and already started school so I could get out as soon as possible.

UW Hospital in Madison is going to get rid of us, that's been planned for a long time. They're not telling us anything except giving very small clues without saying anything directly about how things are going to change. There was a questionnaire about what did we think of cutting the hours. That was a huge red flag and alarm that anyone should see.

I wish some of the other people here would figure it out but they apparently think that nothing's going on and they will be able to retire here on big money because UW really cares about it's employees (big fake lie).

It's pretty rotten, but they'll do the same thing all the others have done - tell us a week or so ahead of time and push/force people to make a panicky, desperate or naive choice of staying under Nuance and the "very competitive wages and benefits" (slave labor terms and slashed benefits and NJA).

To my co-workers here: Wake up. This is not the "Employer of Choice" they want everyone to think they are. All of you older had better start making some plans.

I've heard that about UW as well... - AMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've also heard this about other WI hospital/clinic branches also. Columbus did this last year I believe(my neighbor was an MT there for years until they "merged" and she just got a job as an MT/receptionist for a local doc in town). Berlin clinic system is getting rid of their in-house MTs too from what I've heard, I'm not sure if they already did or are going to and what will happen to them as far as "choosing" to work for an MTSO or just getting out altogether. Mostly everyone I know who is in the medical field in WI has told me that MT is gone.

Maybe it's a good thing I've never been in-house b/c now I'd be without a job...I'll just stick with my MTSO until I hear otherwise. I need a paycheck.
The UW people aren't all in house, as far as I know. - They are all at home, but not immune SM
[ In Reply To ..]
to being sold to a service. The department manager herself said it was a nice department, too bad she'd be the one getting rid of it. So the whole department is being dumped.

UW is outsourcing to Nuance?? Wow, I dodged that bullet. - Madison MT too

[ In Reply To ..]
I almost applied there a couple years ago, looks like not doing that was a good thing. Did I read your post correctly? They're going with Nuance?
Dodged a bullet - if they have any open positions come up in future - anyone who applies or gets it SM
[ In Reply To ..]
wouldn't be there very long under good conditions. As soon as January 2015 starts, one of the supervisors has been telling people "things will be VERY different." They already have the whole plan in place, have started pushing things, and CW is just waiting for that 2015 date (union contract expires).

It will likely happen the same way everyone else has described on here and all the MTs will be screwed over. So it would be a waste of time and effort for anyone to even apply there if something does become available.

Nobody currently working there wants to speak up too much and rock the boat, but people are very unhappy and should be extremely worried.

I strongly suspect it will be Nuance, from what I've managed to find out.

Current employees had better be very, very worried and start making plans if they have not done so. The current union can't do a thing to help on this.

Monitors, this is a good post, but belongs more on the main board. - Could it be kept and simply moved? NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Scan Medical Layoffs
May 21, 2011

I think I had posted this on the wrong board.  For those of you that lost their accounts at Scan Medical along with me where did you all go.  Did anyone try to go with the accounts to the new company or just start looking for jobs again. ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

Where Are The Layoffs
Apr 07, 2013

Unless I missed something, no one has said if there were specific regions where many MTs were laid off. Perhaps MM is going about this region by region. I am a Tier 3 part-timer and have not received a call. Of course, my mgr said it was all a rumor -- yea, right. I agree with those who said we are being replaced by India. I'd love to know MM's timetable for this -- and their thinking behind who goes here and who stays. I have had more than enough work from my primary account ...

Maybe This Had Something To Do With The Layoffs.
Aug 20, 2013

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:E0vrOZbvAZAJ:www.klasresearch.com/print/%3Furl%3D/research/export/print/segment.aspx%3Fid%3D78+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a Data was retrieved by on Saturday, August 10, 2013.   Front-End Speech (FES) – system used for real-time voice to text conversion by clinicians enabling them to start, edit, complete, and sign off on notes or reports withoutsing transcription services.&n ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription.
Jan 21, 2011

I have a certificate through Stratford Career Institute and have had a hard time trying to get employment. I don't have any prior experience in the medical transcription field and am very interested in getting pointed in the right direction on what to do from here on how I can further a career in this field. If anyone can be of some help please let me know. ...

Non Medical Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

I am an independent contractor. Have always charged per line count. Have an opportunity to transcribe 30 minute audio interviews. Any thoughts on what or how to charge for this? Thanks! ...

Qed Medical Transcription
Apr 02, 2011

Has anyone ever tried taking the typing test for QED transcription? For some reason I am not getting into the testing site.  '( ...

U.S. Transcription Non Medical
Sep 01, 2011

I answered an ad for U.S. Transcription posted on MT Jobs, was asked to test, and within an hour of submitting my test I was offered a job.  After my heart came down from a happy dance at an actual job offer, I found I really have some things to think about before I say yes. This would be for 2nd shift, non-medical transcription at 0.06/cpl for straight transcription, 0.03/cpl if a company provided template is used.  I suppose I need to ask what my expected production would be before ...

Looking At Going Into Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2011

I am looking into the Medical Transcription field but wanted to get info about the field from those that are in it before I take the plunge.  I'm not looking at earning a huge salary or medical benefits etc, just some extra to help the HH income. I'm looking at Career Step for my certificate. Any factual info or career experience would be appreciated. ...

Same Day Medical Transcription
Mar 24, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about this transcription company or done any work for them?  What was your experience?  Thanks. ...

New To Medical Transcription
Apr 20, 2012

I'm fairly new to medical transcription. I received my certification in 2010 and was a little discouraged when applying for jobs and they were all looking for experienced agents to work from home. I've recently decided to start back looking for work and decided to offer my services free of charge just to get the experience so I can apply in a year or two for actual paying work. Has anyone else done this or know how to get started? Or even know someone who needs a transcription intern? ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc.
May 03, 2012

Watch out for this company .... They seem a bit strange. ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc ??
May 12, 2012

Has anyone heard of USA Medical Transcription, Inc?? I can't find a website for them although when I do a reverse (fax) number look-up, it says it's in Palm Beach, FL. Info is appreciated! ...

Anyone Ever Do Non-medical Transcription And Like It?
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone ever do non-medical transcription? I'm interested to know if you liked it. I tried it for a few days and just decided it wasn't for me. A lot of it was phone conversations and was very hard to understand and I ended up leaving lots of blanks. The pay was bad too and I gave it up today. It was like torture to me to sit and listen to this voice file and one was almost 2 hours long that I did not finish before I quit. Appreciate anyone's input into this. I am feeling ba ...

Non-medical Transcription?
Dec 08, 2012

I'm a 2011 MT grad who posted not long ago looking for advice.  While googling MT companies to apply to, I found some non-medical transcription services, namely one that transcribes dialogue from a video for production/entertainment companies.  This site had instructions and a download to take the test.  What the heck, I'm going to take it and see what happens.  Since MT is practically a dead-end career, I've been trying to come up with ther ways to utilize my ...

For Those Of You Who Took Medical Transcription
Apr 18, 2013

I having been checking out various things lately with regards to where I would like to go job wise in the near future. I started out going to school for nursing and completed all the pre-reqs: Anatomy and Physiology I & II, biology, psychiatry, basic nutrition, algebra and English etc. Half-way through I hit a bump in the road and had to take a break from school and instead of sitting out a full year, I decided to do something less stressful, which is how I got into medical transcription. L ...

Getting Out Of Medical Transcription
Apr 29, 2013

I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, what I do, I just want to hit a time cloc just to have something to get out.  I don't carek.  I am so tired of being stressed and the happy days, when I have tons of work, just to be hit the next day with zero work, and stress on my off days that maybe I should log in and "catch up". I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, not even caring what I do, I just want to hit a time clock and KNOW what my schedule will be and KNOW how ...

Thank You Medical Transcription
Aug 23, 2013

I quit a job a dozen years ago to jump into the "Work At Home" dream.  I had little money, was quite naive, worked from dark to dark with absolutely no help from the small MTSO, who later ripped me off $5,000.  BUT, I learned. After my first experience with "running out of work", I just found more work.  I got unusually lucky and found a job and was MTing again in a few days. That gig gave me nearly 10 years of working for another small MTSO.  I got busy and made tons of mon ...

Looking For Non-medical Transcription -
Nov 25, 2014

think I am in need of a change been doing this 40 years, so was considering non-medical transcription instead. Anyone know of any companies worth checking out. Also been looking outside of home but reaching retirement age anyway, so figure would not even have a chance in the outside world. TIA ...

LAYOFFS/PASSWORDS
Apr 04, 2013

I know this board is consumed right now about the layoffs but I have question. HAD to call Support yesterday and today, and was told that I cannot change my password in Ipswitch. He said only the techs could do it for me and that I am not allowed to have a personal password!! Never heard of such a thing. My head is spinning after talking to him. Are all you out there able to change your password?  So sorry to the person(s) that got laid off.  A job is a job and it's always sad t ...

Layoffs/Terminations
Apr 11, 2013

Think I will get the proverbial axe on Monday or Tuesday - Tuesday should be the first day of my new pay period according to my schedule.  After the corrective action for low LPH and many other things bugging me - definitely kept asking questions and when one did not answer, or answer fully, went higher, and also to HR.  I really did love this job and it makes me so angry and depressed all at once at how things have gotten so awful!  I did finally get them to finally acknowledge t ...

April Layoffs
Jul 24, 2013

I was laid off April 4th.  Supervisor was sorry she had to make the call as there was no problem with my work.  Had been with company 16 years and worked 7 days a week, third shift, split shift, part time.  It is all working out though, collecting unemployment and in school thanks to TAA.  Everything is paid for: books, tuition, supplies and if school is 50 miles from home, a gas allowance is available.  UE office said I could attend any college I chose and that thi ...

MModal Layoffs
Aug 17, 2013

Anyone wanting to discuss the lay offs by MModal and the commonaliities of people laid off, please contact me through the "reply by email" button below or through this board. We were fired because our jobs were outsourced.  The person who called and told about this "transition" admited it when I asked.   Company loyalty means nothing to these people; they're just big business.  I feel sorry for middle management, who probably know they're next to go. ...

Keystrokes Layoffs?
May 30, 2014

I just read that KS is laying off, can anyone confirm?  http://www.thelayoff.com/keystrokes-transcription-service ...