A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Layoffs after EPIC implementation - lucygeorge

Posted: Jun 05, 2014

Has anyone worked where EPIC has been implemented?  Did transcription work pick up after initial drop off or were there layoffs?

In my experience... - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]
layoffs. And lots of them. From what we as well as three other large hospital systems in this metropolitan area are seeing, Epic reduces transcription volumes by approximately 80%. This is consistent for all four of us. There is still a need for the more difficult consultations and complex op notes to be transcribed, but that's about it.

What is truly even more alarming now is this recent pairing of Dragon 360 with Epic, used in concert, so that even the 20% will go away. We are still very early stages there. My heart dropped into my stomach and has pretty much stayed there when I read in our employee newsletter that 36 (out of 40-something) physicians volunteered for the pilot Dragon+Epic program at one of our satellite locations. We are actively, aggressively being phased out.

Where there IS opportunity is in learning how to work the back end of Epic. There's all sorts of error queue and Epic Help Desk tasks to be completed.

Learning the back end of Epic - missmarymac

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a MT with nearly 30 years' experience. I have been researching Epic over the past few days and would be open to making a career change in the Epic direction and learning the software modules. I went on MTStars specifically looking for a thread on this topic. How does one go about learning the back end of Epic? Anyone?

Google Epic medical records and see the careers tab - Informaticist

[ In Reply To ..]
There are degree programs in informatics (health information management).

In my experience - inhouse lead - lucygeorge

[ In Reply To ..]
how does one go about learning the backend EPIC stuff?

My former company had a major account go - EPIC

[ In Reply To ..]
Work literally dropped off 75% immediately. They didn't lay us off, though. They just waited for us to quit... left us looking at blank monitors as we used up our PTO...

Epic and layoffs - frantic

[ In Reply To ..]
Our work at UWMC Seattle dropped about 75% as well... we are still waiting for it to "rally." We won't be laid off, though. Our management has raised production standards by 50%... so they will counsel us out the door... So much for a "caring environment."

My Epic experience - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
Our work dropped off by about 70%. We all got laid off (department of 15) and all the work is outsourced. Everyone received job placement assistance and found other positions within our organization. What we found was that transcription went away but Epic created other opportunities, it takes a lot of manpower and womanpower to keep things running smoothly, I've yet to figure out where the cost savings come into play, even with all the meaningful use incentives. For our department, outsourcing was part of the plan, with or without Epic. Sorry for your bad news. I'm also a Washingtonian and I was afraid this was going to happen when I heard your facilities were converting to Epic. UWMC is a big organization though; hopefully you will be able to find something else; hopefully they won't kick you to the curb without severance or chances to apply for other positions.

What really troubles me about this... - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]
is that the hospitals and even the transcription service account managers know full well this is coming. Epic implementation takes years. But the services do not tell the MTs. They have no sort of forewarning that it's coming. That is so uncool to do that to people. Makes me sick.

In house lead - SM - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not every facility does that. Where I work, The MTs we were told at least a year in advance. It did not take years to implement. For us it was probably only 18 months from inception to go live and we had very few bugs in our new system. I don't know if being told is better, everyone in my department was then waiting for the ax to fall. It did give people time to look for other jobs or go back to school, if that is what they chose to do. We all kept hoping they would change their minds or that Epic would flop but sadly that never happened. I can see that we were luckier than most, however, because administration helped all of us find other jobs within our organization.

Our supervisor knew it was coming, but - - Justa Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
hired me anyway, and didn't say anything to anyone about an impending layoff. When EPIC went live, the work dropped from plenty of overtime work available, to nothing within about a week and a half. We sat around and read magazines. When the layoff came, even the supervisor got booted out, as well. We got severance, but no other job opportunities.

EPIC - need a new career

[ In Reply To ..]
Our transcription department was oursourced 18 months before EPIC was implemented. They knew it was inevitable. So they did it ahead of time. I hope your work load doesn't suffer because outsourcing is the worst.

Similar Messages:

EPIC Implementation And Voice Recognition
Dec 25, 2011

I desperately need info if anyone can please help. I am pretty sure I will be losing my job of 10 years in a couple of months. The hospitals I have been working for are going to what is called EPIC implementation. Also, the physicians will be transitioning to voice recognition software. I have been searching, and as far as I can understand, the EPIC is in regards to a paperless medical record. I am wondering if the voice recognition is part of that agenda. Does anyone have any further info on th ...

Does Anyone Who Works On Epic Find That Once A Facility Goes To Epic You Have Some Work Left To
Sep 05, 2012

continue to do.  ...

Regarding Epic System. How Will The EMRs Do Regarding OR Reports. Will That Go To Epic Or Will The
Dec 20, 2011

speech or straight transcription.  Just wondering about that and DS, Consults, etc. ...

As Far As Epic Goes, What Will Happen To OR Reports On Epic. Will
Aug 02, 2012

that also do away with MTs doing OR reports which is about all I really do. ...

Do Some Of The Hospitals That Use DQS Also Use Epic Or Will Epic Replace
Aug 08, 2012

DQS completely and the hospital will drop MQ.  Just curious about that.  It seems Epic is the way to go and was not sure if that can be interspersed with DQS or eliminate MQ altogether with DQS.  ...

Implementation Of 6.1
Sep 09, 2010

Now that they have implemented the wonderful 6.1 and its going to be so great, I smell another pay cut coming.  ...

Something That I Have Been Wondering About - Especially With The Implementation Of VR
Jul 19, 2013

Something that I have been wondering about and thinking about others in this profession.  I was born wtih cerebral palsy.  While I am able to walk, although with a prounced limp, this conditiion affects the whole side of my body.  I have always been able to "type," however, with the implementation of VR, and companies such as Nuance, MModal and other companies wanting MTs to keep their hands on the keyboard and not use the mouse as much as possible, I am really running into "probl ...

How Long After Implementation Of ICD-10 Will ICD-9 Not Be Used?
Mar 24, 2014

I know as of October 1st, facilities will be using ICD-10, and I have also noticed schools are still training in ICD-9, so my question is will both still be used in coding?  And, if so, for how long?  Isn't it supposed to be strictly ICD-10 after October 1?  How much harder is ICD-10 than ICD-9?  Thank you for your time in responding.  ...

Should I Wait To Go To Coding School For Implementation Of ICD-10?
Dec 28, 2011

Am a current Mt looking to get into coding, specifically looking at Andrews.  I am not familiar with coding at all, so this may be a dumb question to those familiar with it - but here goes! Would it make more sense to wait until the implementation of ICD-10 to invest in the courses or is this a mute point pretty much?  In other words, would it be easier to "transition" from 9 to 10 or start fresh with 10?  Hope this makes sense and TIA for any input.   ...

Webmedx Presents Award To Providers For Front-end Speech Implementation
Sep 17, 2010

This article was from July, I just found it. It may have been addressed back then, and if so I missed it. Here is one part of the article: "Currently in use at several Webmedx customer sites, the ability for physicians to capture documentation using front-end voice recognition and then self-edit their work reduces costs by 60% for every transcribed report." This is the link to the article: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/press-release/webmedx-presents-award-providers-front-end-speech-implem ...

Where Are The Layoffs
Apr 07, 2013

Unless I missed something, no one has said if there were specific regions where many MTs were laid off. Perhaps MM is going about this region by region. I am a Tier 3 part-timer and have not received a call. Of course, my mgr said it was all a rumor -- yea, right. I agree with those who said we are being replaced by India. I'd love to know MM's timetable for this -- and their thinking behind who goes here and who stays. I have had more than enough work from my primary account ...

Maybe This Had Something To Do With The Layoffs.
Aug 20, 2013

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:E0vrOZbvAZAJ:www.klasresearch.com/print/%3Furl%3D/research/export/print/segment.aspx%3Fid%3D78+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a Data was retrieved by on Saturday, August 10, 2013.   Front-End Speech (FES) – system used for real-time voice to text conversion by clinicians enabling them to start, edit, complete, and sign off on notes or reports withoutsing transcription services.&n ...

LAYOFFS/PASSWORDS
Apr 04, 2013

I know this board is consumed right now about the layoffs but I have question. HAD to call Support yesterday and today, and was told that I cannot change my password in Ipswitch. He said only the techs could do it for me and that I am not allowed to have a personal password!! Never heard of such a thing. My head is spinning after talking to him. Are all you out there able to change your password?  So sorry to the person(s) that got laid off.  A job is a job and it's always sad t ...

Layoffs/Terminations
Apr 11, 2013

Think I will get the proverbial axe on Monday or Tuesday - Tuesday should be the first day of my new pay period according to my schedule.  After the corrective action for low LPH and many other things bugging me - definitely kept asking questions and when one did not answer, or answer fully, went higher, and also to HR.  I really did love this job and it makes me so angry and depressed all at once at how things have gotten so awful!  I did finally get them to finally acknowledge t ...

April Layoffs
Jul 24, 2013

I was laid off April 4th.  Supervisor was sorry she had to make the call as there was no problem with my work.  Had been with company 16 years and worked 7 days a week, third shift, split shift, part time.  It is all working out though, collecting unemployment and in school thanks to TAA.  Everything is paid for: books, tuition, supplies and if school is 50 miles from home, a gas allowance is available.  UE office said I could attend any college I chose and that thi ...

MModal Layoffs
Aug 17, 2013

Anyone wanting to discuss the lay offs by MModal and the commonaliities of people laid off, please contact me through the "reply by email" button below or through this board. We were fired because our jobs were outsourced.  The person who called and told about this "transition" admited it when I asked.   Company loyalty means nothing to these people; they're just big business.  I feel sorry for middle management, who probably know they're next to go. ...

Keystrokes Layoffs?
May 30, 2014

I just read that KS is laying off, can anyone confirm?  http://www.thelayoff.com/keystrokes-transcription-service ...

Layoffs -- If You Look In The MQ Address Book
Jun 02, 2010

nm ...

Latest Layoffs, Can We Figure Out
Jun 08, 2010

from what areas? SA4/South CCM is the same, but one regional director was changed from a guy to a woman I'm not familiar with. ...

Wonder How The Webmedx Layoffs Will Affect
Sep 02, 2010

I wonder if this is an "open the floodgates" kind of thing and will have a domino effect and more companies (like Medquist) will start laying off, too. Anybody have any comment on this? ...

Scan Medical Layoffs
May 21, 2011

I think I had posted this on the wrong board.  For those of you that lost their accounts at Scan Medical along with me where did you all go.  Did anyone try to go with the accounts to the new company or just start looking for jobs again. ...

Layoffs Curious If The Ones Laid Off
Apr 05, 2013

got an email from amy about all mt meeying on april 17?.  i got that email and 20 minutes later board was full of talks of layoffs.  just wondering if i got the email because im safe or if everyone got it ...

I Just Read The Posts Below About Layoffs.
Apr 05, 2013

The layoffs seem to be posts from Evelyn, Liz, Donna, Sue, Lee, Ruth, Pegge, Ginger and so on.  Another post stated she talked to her TSM and it was all rumors.  I do not mean to offend anyone, but I am part time and have overtime work tonight and for this weekend.  Maybe due to people being laid off??   The thing is, I do not work my hours like I should because I am so SICK of this job after being here way too many years to care anymore.  I have another job ...

Medical Transcription Layoffs
Sep 29, 2013

Many MTs are losing their jobs or grossly under-employed due to outsourcing.   The salary for many is insufficient to live off of in the USA. These MTs have been very loyal, flexible, highly productive employees that are committed to excellence.  How did we get to this point where hardworking, loyal medical transcriptionists are no longer valued as employees by even the "Best Companies?"  What can we do to keep MTs in the USA from being hungry and living in poverty level? These ...

M-Modal Hiring Now After Layoffs?
Oct 14, 2013

Why is M-Modal running an ad for hiring when they recently laid off so many transcriptionists? ...

Layoffs, Acquisitions, Economy, Companies. Sm
Sep 03, 2010

With the economy the way it is, layoffs happen.  Do you really think that companies like to lay people off?  If they lay people off, there is less being transcribed and less being invoiced and less profit lining their pockets.  While I agree that email seems a cold way to lay people off, what option did they have?  Everyone works remotely, right?  If they started to make phone calls, it would've caused a panic for those who weren't being laid off.  This wa ...

CONTACT LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ABOUT LAYOFFS!
Sep 03, 2010

If anyone is in the Atlanta, Georgia area or in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area who was laid off 2 days ago by Webmedx and is obviously still upset about it, as I am, I think it would be a good idea to notify any local newspapers in these 2 cities regarding the recent massive layoff at Webmedx, Inc. I believe the Atlanta office is their headquarters and the Pittsburgh office is their operations office.  I know they also have an office in Brentwood, Tennessee, but I'm ...

Don't Be Too Shocked By Christmas Layoffs And Firings
Dec 14, 2011

I used to work for a company that had an annual Christmas layoff. It was almost a joke with those of us who had survived the latest round. Most companies have a budget. In bad times they tend to run out of money at the end of the year. It's rotten and shows poor planning, but nobody should be shocked when it happens. ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...

Has Anyone Worked Anywhere In ANY Field Where Employees Were Told Of Impending Layoffs?
Sep 03, 2010

I've been working since I was 15 years old in various fields and have witnessed many, many layoffs.  Although I have usually been in a position where I was privvy to the details of when the layoff would take place and who was on the list to be cut, I have NEVER worked anywhere where the employees to be laid off were given a heads-up beforehand.  Sure, rumors would circulate about the impending cuts, but I've never heard of employers actually warning an employee that they were ...