A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CONTACT LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ABOUT LAYOFFS! - former Webmedxer

Posted: Sep 03, 2010

If anyone is in the Atlanta, Georgia area or in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area who was laid off 2 days ago by Webmedx and is obviously still upset about it, as I am, I think it would be a good idea to notify any local newspapers in these 2 cities regarding the recent massive layoff at Webmedx, Inc.

I believe the Atlanta office is their headquarters and the Pittsburgh office is their operations office.  I know they also have an office in Brentwood, Tennessee, but I'm not sure what type of office that is, however, anyone in the Brentwood area who was laid off may want to notify that local newspaper as well.

I think these newspapers would be very interested in printing an article about this.

There is much power in the pen.

What massive? Where are you getting your info?. - less than 2%

[ In Reply To ..]
slslslsl

hmmmm...wonder how you'd know that.... - smells like a suit

[ In Reply To ..]
hmmmm....how on earth would you know that?

That is very good news if 2% is an accutate number. - Where are you getting your information, please?

[ In Reply To ..]
That number was not quoted in the audio from the meeting I listened to. Thanks!

Massive layoffs - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure how you know the number of people laid off, however, if it is 20% that is MASSIVE!
My bad... - Susan
[ In Reply To ..]
My bad...upon re-reading it states 2%. Really wonder how you know this info though. Hmmm, something smells fishy here.

Where's the documentation that The Spider laid off less than 2%? - K

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Newspapers - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
Newspapers and any and all news outlets. The more publicity the better. This is a very relevant story with all that is going on in the corporate world today. Suits, no need to comment. Your comments are going to deaf ears.

And be sure to tell them that what the Spider does to - its employees is just the tip of the iceberg.

[ In Reply To ..]
They may be interested in the entire industry's greed: Its paycuts, less-than-minimum-wage pay, shady line counts, no OT pay, etc. An investigative reporter willing to do a little digging could have a fieldday.

I want to sit back and watch you do this. Promise to let us know how it goes - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

layoffs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
with unemployment at 9.6% do you really think this is going to be a big deal to them? What do you think sets us apart from the millions of other unemployed? Unemployment is hardly news any more.

It makes a big difference - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
News outlets love these stories. This is why you see them on so much. It's not just about losing jobs, it's about the way these companies go about it. And especially after voting themselves as "employee of the year". I knew a suit would be here to defend themselves. Thing is, the more these suits come on here trying to discount what happened, the more newsworthy it becomes. But then these comments fall in line with their corporate practices. We should expect nothing less from a company like Webmedx at this point.

naive much? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
get into the real world and over yourself. few people even know what MT is. people in every industry are losing jobs and this is just a blip on the radar. the only people who will be interested in this story are the ones who got laid off, the ones who are worried they will be laid off, and the MTs who work for other companies who are secretly thanking God that it wasn't them! Outside of the MT industry itself, this means nothing to anybody. Your ego is getting a little out of control.

You're dreaming if you think any news outlet would "love" this story - but it is better than getting a job and working

[ In Reply To ..]
It's much more fun to play victim than to go do something productive, like get a job and work.
why are you so defensive... - suit or just evil?
[ In Reply To ..]
You are quite defensive. You statements say suit suit suit. I'm in media and find this fascinating to see how poorly these people were treated but then to add insult to injury, the lowest of life form seems to appear resonding and defending them. You are either a suit or just plain evil!

media? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
if you are in media, what are you doing on this board? Which are you media or MT?
media - suit or just evil
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm here because I was an MT for over 25 years. Two years ago I had an opportunity to do some free lance work for a media firm. After a few months the load was too great and I gave my resignation. They wanted me to stay and with the kids grown up and the industry falling fast, I accepted an offer to work outside the house. MT's are a tight community and word spreads quickly. Now that I've answered your question, please answer mine. Are you a suit or just evil?
suit or evil? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am neither one, just an MT with a more realistic view than most people on here!
Small appendage, perhaps? - no message
[ In Reply To ..]
"

MASSIVE? HONESTLY? - Get a grip

[ In Reply To ..]
How many MTs were laid off? FACTS please, not conjecture or hysteria.

And what is the newspaper going to do? You do realize people are losing their jobs every single day?? A handful of MTs lose their jobs and you think it's now newsworthy?

There are still MT jobs to be had. I was on careerbuilder last night and there are in house positions in various states as well as services that are hiring.

I'm actually gobsmacked that you think there should or WOULD be some major retribution against Webmedx for CONDUCTING BUSINESS. As hard as it is to take the human aspect out, it's business. Numbers. Pure and simple. Now it's numbers for you too and YOU will cut something out. SUPPLY and DEMAND.

Let's run to the papers and shed light on the hysteria that is running rampant. Now THERE's a story!

It's not simply supply and demand - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not that simple and you know it. I find it hard to believe you are that ignorant. And how do you know how massive they layoff is? Are you management? That would explain a lot.

plummeting stocks - too bad...

[ In Reply To ..]
Guess the suits are worried that stocks for Webmedx are gonna plummet once this hits the papers. Oh, too bad. It would be so awful if you couldn't make your boat payments.

But, of course, this is just business, right? That's what you've been saying all along, right? It's nothin' personal or anything like that.

Sorry, but we're not gonna go quietly into the night like you might have hoped.
I see FEAR in the suit. Could WMX turn - out like Spheris?
[ In Reply To ..]
CBAY wants to buy as many companies as possible. Spheris was just to get the ball rolling. There is an article of CBAY getting started for more acquisitions.

Gee, if WMX is next like Spheris, God forbid, then it would be HUGE NEWS then and the word would get out that there is not a shortage of MTs, but being taken over by India.
Id sooner buy stock in a company that wants to - start manufacturing 8-track cassettes again.
[ In Reply To ..]
Or in some Beanie Baby collector who thinks they're going to make a comeback.

Or even a company like Enron, if they still existed. With some luck on the part of MTs nationwide, maybe the Spider will end up just like Enron did... a national disgrace.
stocks - sailor
[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure that stocks will plummet because of a layoff done because of a lost contract. The other accounts this company has appear very stable, so it is likely the company stocks will stay stable as well.
The Stock Market. Now there is an honest, forthright - institution for ya.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

MTStats - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
We love you MTStars. It allows us a voice and a big one at that. Google Webmedx news or Webmedx layoffs and these forums appear right at the top of the page. Lets keep posting. The web crawlers are picking us up more and more. And suits, keep posting too. Your insensitivity and defensiveness makes this more and more newsworthy.

know why? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
you know why its right there at the top? Cuz this is the only place it is being talked about. You are not seeing news stories about it. you are only seeing yourselves rant about it. If there were actual news stories, they would also show up in those listings.

oh, don't worry - I know of at least 1

[ In Reply To ..]
that will be showing up shortly.
Make that at least two - Susan
[ In Reply To ..]
Yep. There is interest in the news world. It's not about MT's, it's about the corporate world that makes it so interesting. Wonder why the suits respond to this if they aren't worried about the news getting out??? I have a feeling they'll be singing a different tune when they are standing in the unemployment lines with us. Come on suits, keep replying. It documents and confirms what we are saying.
hahahahaha! - got that right!
[ In Reply To ..]
girlfriend!

The one I notified was real interested, too.

Can you say "my stocks ain't worth crap anymore!" and "oh my gosh, honey, looks like we're gonna hafta sell the yacht on Monday."

hahahahaha!
Article or letter to editor - sidelined
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you dashing off letters to the editor or have you called or contacted the papers to give an interview?
N.O.Y.B. - :P
[ In Reply To ..]
HEH HEH.
Guess I won't be watching for anything then. nm - sidelined
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

It still shows up prominently on a Google search - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
Say an, I-don't-know, prospective CLIENT is smart enough to GOOGLE the service they are going to sign with to see what information is available, then this is what they will find.

And don't think they can't eventually figure out how to add and subtract line rates to figure out where the excesses are. For quality issues, they only need to look at their reports they get back.

You know, MTs aren't asking to get rich, they aren't asking for "easy" work. They are asking for a fair rate of pay and to be treated honorably. That's all. And no, that is not too much to ask for. It should be the bare minimum industry standard. After all, weren't we all MTs once? Even MTSO owners/supervisors?
Not most of the management at Webmedx. - Webster
[ In Reply To ..]
Most have never been MTs. Definitely not my supervisor and definitely not upper management. Of course, this explains a lot.
I worked for a guy once who wasn't an MT.. he was really nicer than most - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
And he understood templates and samples for ops. And he paid us well, too, 10 cpl and that was in 2001, 2002, or 2003 or maybe earlier. I'd have to look it up.

I know they sent out Starbucks cards for Christmas - I live in a small town no Starbucks and it was just 15 dollars but it really made me happy. To think, that he would think, of me, at Christmas. It meant a lot. And I still have it. Unspent.

Most of the people who have accounts bleed them dry. I mean they change their lifestyle and become very dependent on the excess of money an account might be bringing in, so that when it might become necessary to regnotiate the line rate, they can't. Not and keep their new house or SUV or whatever.

I don't like changing accounts and could be flexible if it were necessary.

don't forget, too - to let the paper know

[ In Reply To ..]
that Webmedx was voted "AHDI Employer of the Year" for 2010, just weeks before that ax fell on a bunch of us, for that added touch of irony that newspapers all love.

Employer of the year - Letting the paper know

[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly. Vote themselves in for publicity in what I consider a most unethical way. Well, publicity works both ways.

got that right! - sister!

[ In Reply To ..]
Publicity works both ways. If they're not ashamed of what they did, why worry about whether it hits the paper or not??

Oh, and P.S. to all the suits who are so desperately trying for the damage control regarding the papers:

Newsflash: All of us writing "garbage" would now be working if we hadn't been so unceremoniously given the heave ho 2 days ago. We got lots of time now and idle computers!
Got that right... - Back at yea sister
[ In Reply To ..]
Not only do we have idle computers but we can type fast! I'm getting more lines into the papers and news stations than I did on the job LOL!
ha! me too! - oh, and lest they forget
[ In Reply To ..]
we're experts on finding out information on the computer but instead of drug names it's now names of out of state newspapers, contacts, emails, etc.

haha!

And then you could mention that AHDI is a whole - nother story in itself, only bigger.

[ In Reply To ..]
The whole MT drama could easily have more followups and spinoffs than the media can even imagine.

And what better timing, during a recession/depression, when things like this are what everyone in America is worried about?

The timing on this couldn't have been more perfect to blow the whistle on the entire industry.

Does WMX have stock? Is is under Articure? - Gee, cannot find any SEC filings, only

[ In Reply To ..]
from 2007. What the heck?

So is WMX run under a different company or does some big wig own the company.

You've got to be kidding! - There is no story there.

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you seriously think anyone would read a story about a business letting some people go? It would only be news these days if they were doing well and keeping all their people. Almost 100% of all businesses these days are losing people. There is no story there.

Business letting people to? No. Business part of - a nationwide employee ripoff? Yes.

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Might be an interesting article - sailor

[ In Reply To ..]
However, it might not be the type of article extremely angry people want to see. I'd bet any interview might turn into a factoid in a bigger article about companies from various industries trying to hold their own and keep as many employees working as possible in this crazy economy.

interedting article - suit or just evil

[ In Reply To ..]
Indeed, intetesting and you are correct. But this isn't a story about MT's specifically l. It's about corporate America. I believe most of my former colleagues are fighting for the cause, not for themselves. I give these dedicated professionals far more credit than that.

Just jaded about media - sailor

[ In Reply To ..]
Neither a suit or evil. Just very jaded about the media. Don't trust them at all to get any message or story completely straight.
We could always just leave the media out of it, and - publish this story ourselves.
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Will Be Sending Inquiries To E-newspapers About MModal.
Aug 19, 2013

...asking if they are interested in an article or essay (heck we practically do that on this board) about what's going on.  Off-shoring is an interesting topic. Will invite them to read this forum. There are many e-news places such as Huffington Post, New York Times, etc.  Awareness needs to be spread. We on this board already know what's going on...other people don't.  Laid-off Day-5. ...

To Clarify My Earlier Post, About Inquiring To Newspapers....
Aug 19, 2013

After reading the replies, seems what I meant to say was misconstrued. When I decide to inquire to e-newspapers about exposing MModal, I meant trying to get the message out about Americans' private information going overseas, as the main point.  Ragging on how horrible the company would be just a side thing.  If people don't speak out, things don't change.  American women would not be able to vote if those strong, outspoken women way back didn't fight for that ...

Where Are The Layoffs
Apr 07, 2013

Unless I missed something, no one has said if there were specific regions where many MTs were laid off. Perhaps MM is going about this region by region. I am a Tier 3 part-timer and have not received a call. Of course, my mgr said it was all a rumor -- yea, right. I agree with those who said we are being replaced by India. I'd love to know MM's timetable for this -- and their thinking behind who goes here and who stays. I have had more than enough work from my primary account ...

Maybe This Had Something To Do With The Layoffs.
Aug 20, 2013

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:E0vrOZbvAZAJ:www.klasresearch.com/print/%3Furl%3D/research/export/print/segment.aspx%3Fid%3D78+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a Data was retrieved by on Saturday, August 10, 2013.   Front-End Speech (FES) – system used for real-time voice to text conversion by clinicians enabling them to start, edit, complete, and sign off on notes or reports withoutsing transcription services.&n ...

LAYOFFS/PASSWORDS
Apr 04, 2013

I know this board is consumed right now about the layoffs but I have question. HAD to call Support yesterday and today, and was told that I cannot change my password in Ipswitch. He said only the techs could do it for me and that I am not allowed to have a personal password!! Never heard of such a thing. My head is spinning after talking to him. Are all you out there able to change your password?  So sorry to the person(s) that got laid off.  A job is a job and it's always sad t ...

Layoffs/Terminations
Apr 11, 2013

Think I will get the proverbial axe on Monday or Tuesday - Tuesday should be the first day of my new pay period according to my schedule.  After the corrective action for low LPH and many other things bugging me - definitely kept asking questions and when one did not answer, or answer fully, went higher, and also to HR.  I really did love this job and it makes me so angry and depressed all at once at how things have gotten so awful!  I did finally get them to finally acknowledge t ...

April Layoffs
Jul 24, 2013

I was laid off April 4th.  Supervisor was sorry she had to make the call as there was no problem with my work.  Had been with company 16 years and worked 7 days a week, third shift, split shift, part time.  It is all working out though, collecting unemployment and in school thanks to TAA.  Everything is paid for: books, tuition, supplies and if school is 50 miles from home, a gas allowance is available.  UE office said I could attend any college I chose and that thi ...

MModal Layoffs
Aug 17, 2013

Anyone wanting to discuss the lay offs by MModal and the commonaliities of people laid off, please contact me through the "reply by email" button below or through this board. We were fired because our jobs were outsourced.  The person who called and told about this "transition" admited it when I asked.   Company loyalty means nothing to these people; they're just big business.  I feel sorry for middle management, who probably know they're next to go. ...

Keystrokes Layoffs?
May 30, 2014

I just read that KS is laying off, can anyone confirm?  http://www.thelayoff.com/keystrokes-transcription-service ...

Layoffs -- If You Look In The MQ Address Book
Jun 02, 2010

nm ...

Latest Layoffs, Can We Figure Out
Jun 08, 2010

from what areas? SA4/South CCM is the same, but one regional director was changed from a guy to a woman I'm not familiar with. ...

Wonder How The Webmedx Layoffs Will Affect
Sep 02, 2010

I wonder if this is an "open the floodgates" kind of thing and will have a domino effect and more companies (like Medquist) will start laying off, too. Anybody have any comment on this? ...

Scan Medical Layoffs
May 21, 2011

I think I had posted this on the wrong board.  For those of you that lost their accounts at Scan Medical along with me where did you all go.  Did anyone try to go with the accounts to the new company or just start looking for jobs again. ...

Layoffs Curious If The Ones Laid Off
Apr 05, 2013

got an email from amy about all mt meeying on april 17?.  i got that email and 20 minutes later board was full of talks of layoffs.  just wondering if i got the email because im safe or if everyone got it ...

I Just Read The Posts Below About Layoffs.
Apr 05, 2013

The layoffs seem to be posts from Evelyn, Liz, Donna, Sue, Lee, Ruth, Pegge, Ginger and so on.  Another post stated she talked to her TSM and it was all rumors.  I do not mean to offend anyone, but I am part time and have overtime work tonight and for this weekend.  Maybe due to people being laid off??   The thing is, I do not work my hours like I should because I am so SICK of this job after being here way too many years to care anymore.  I have another job ...

Medical Transcription Layoffs
Sep 29, 2013

Many MTs are losing their jobs or grossly under-employed due to outsourcing.   The salary for many is insufficient to live off of in the USA. These MTs have been very loyal, flexible, highly productive employees that are committed to excellence.  How did we get to this point where hardworking, loyal medical transcriptionists are no longer valued as employees by even the "Best Companies?"  What can we do to keep MTs in the USA from being hungry and living in poverty level? These ...

M-Modal Hiring Now After Layoffs?
Oct 14, 2013

Why is M-Modal running an ad for hiring when they recently laid off so many transcriptionists? ...

Layoffs After EPIC Implementation
Jun 05, 2014

Has anyone worked where EPIC has been implemented?  Did transcription work pick up after initial drop off or were there layoffs? ...

Layoffs, Acquisitions, Economy, Companies. Sm
Sep 03, 2010

With the economy the way it is, layoffs happen.  Do you really think that companies like to lay people off?  If they lay people off, there is less being transcribed and less being invoiced and less profit lining their pockets.  While I agree that email seems a cold way to lay people off, what option did they have?  Everyone works remotely, right?  If they started to make phone calls, it would've caused a panic for those who weren't being laid off.  This wa ...

Don't Be Too Shocked By Christmas Layoffs And Firings
Dec 14, 2011

I used to work for a company that had an annual Christmas layoff. It was almost a joke with those of us who had survived the latest round. Most companies have a budget. In bad times they tend to run out of money at the end of the year. It's rotten and shows poor planning, but nobody should be shocked when it happens. ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...

Has Anyone Worked Anywhere In ANY Field Where Employees Were Told Of Impending Layoffs?
Sep 03, 2010

I've been working since I was 15 years old in various fields and have witnessed many, many layoffs.  Although I have usually been in a position where I was privvy to the details of when the layoff would take place and who was on the list to be cut, I have NEVER worked anywhere where the employees to be laid off were given a heads-up beforehand.  Sure, rumors would circulate about the impending cuts, but I've never heard of employers actually warning an employee that they were ...

Local Taxes
Feb 24, 2011

Did I miss something?  I noticed on my paystubs that Medquist/Ultipro is now taking off my local taxes.  Did we get an email about this?  I always had to estimate my local taxes before. ...

Local Anesthesia
Jan 24, 2012

Hi this is a mini op to remove mass on the left hand. He says Anesthesia: Dr. *** "s/l acinic" local with digital block. ...

Anesthesia - MAC With Local...?
Oct 05, 2012

Operative report for removal of a foreign body (wood) in the right ring finger. Anesthesia sentence is very unclear--dictator with an accent mumbling! "ANESTHESIA:  MAC with local [s/l vessel] with metacarpal block [s/l oxygen dioxygen]." Makes no sense. Block also slurrs into the following word which s/l oxygen. ...

Local Texans... Job.
Mar 27, 2013

Saw this ad on FlexJobs and am sharing with those that live in the area... Medical Transcription Clerk III  Agency: Dept of State Health Services  Part Time Regular/Temporary: Regular Job Location: 4615 ALAMEDA AVE City: EL PASO Contact: AccessHR Service Center Telephone: 888-894-4747 Salary Range: $940.88 - $1,364.25 Salary Group: A09 Shift: Days (First) Travel: 5% ...

Med Coding Local Chapters
Oct 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me where to go to find local chapters for medical coders/billers?  I want to attend a Chamber of Commerce meeting and/or ask one of the med coder chapter members what the prospects are for someone like me :  25+ years MT, completed Andrews course, got certified and need a job w/o experience.  (I am still an MT, but seriously want to get out and move forward with medical coding).  I don't want to put all my efforts and hard-earned $$ into something that wo ...

Local Hospital Offer
Dec 28, 2011

In telling my woes to my mom about all the changes at the Web, she of course told others. So I received a call from my "local" hospital's transcription supervisor. They have just created two new positions they are looking to fill. The pay offered is 15.45 an hour plus 15% shift differential for anything after 2 pm. The insurance is awesome, significantly less than what I will be paying for a single policy and available after 30 days of employment. Paid time off of 21 days per year for ...

Local Area Switching To VR
Mar 13, 2012

I have always worked for local hospitals and doctor's offices.  I have never worked through a company, but with most of our local area switching to VR I am having to look to companies for work.  In our local area our transcriptionists usually are paid about 12 cents per line,  but I am noticing most companies pay is substantially lower as i saw an ad for Sten Tel paying only 5-6 cpl.   Could anyone tell me what the norm is for pay with companies?  Thanks for all help. ...

Anyone Local To Valhalla, NY? Med Sec Job At WMC Via Monster.
Jun 09, 2013

. ...