A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone worked anywhere in ANY field where employees were told of impending layoffs? - I sure havent

Posted: Sep 03, 2010

I've been working since I was 15 years old in various fields and have witnessed many, many layoffs.  Although I have usually been in a position where I was privvy to the details of when the layoff would take place and who was on the list to be cut, I have NEVER worked anywhere where the employees to be laid off were given a heads-up beforehand.  Sure, rumors would circulate about the impending cuts, but I've never heard of employers actually warning an employee that they were to be cut and when.

Has anyone EVER been warned they are about to be cut? 

I would think warning an employee would be completely counterproductive, in that a disgruntled employee would be afforded the opportunity to sabotage any number of workings of the company, not to mention make life a living nightmare for those who were not to be cut.

So...serious question...Has anyone TRUTHFULLY ever worked somewhere where employees were warned in advance they would be laid off?  Not just that there was an impending layoff, but employee-specific communication?

OF COURSE! DHL, MOTOROLA, INTEL, - MICROSOFT, AND MORE.

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband has been warned in the past and was told of upcoming layoffs 2-5 months in advance. It is to prepare them for upcoming doctor visits for themselves and kids, future vacations, and for their mind, benefits, money, and soul.

When finally the day came, the people who were let go were given future training and one-on-one help for getting their resumes together and how to search for future jobs. Company helped employees with their 401k, benefits, COBRA plans, etc.

The way WMX handled it and not helping the employees, but only by getting a suit to come on this board for damage control is just, well..... UGLY!

Suits - Whateva

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess they have figured out we don't read most of their BS Company Emails full of BS so they have to come on here and spread the propaganda or is it proper gander? whatever, yaddy, yaddy, yaddy. Can you see my hand puppet talking? Pull the string in the back and suit starts spouting the corporate praises.

Hey, there's a good idea. Suit doll, talks the talk, crushes the lowly worker under his/her feet.

Yes, most definitely. - For an orthopedic surgeon.

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for an orthopedic surgeon who was retiring. He not only told me 3 months in advance, but gave me a raise for the last 3 months AND 1 month's severence pay. He also sent reference letters to a lot of his colleagues in an effort to help me find a job.

I have worked for several nonmedical corporations in the past also that gave notice before lay-offs. It is not as uncommon as you think. Just because this is business doesn't mean that employers have to be jerks about things. People still have bills to pay and families to provide for, and it's just the decent thing to do to give notice.

What are companies afraid of? If they tell someone they're getting laid off, then the someone may just start with a new job before company is done using them up?

Thank you. Well said. "Using them up" is right. - Fact seeking

[ In Reply To ..]
Hopefully those laid off can find decent employers who will treat them like a person and not a commodity.

In another field we came in to work and 7 were left out of 30 - The rest were missing with no notice

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody ever said a word about why they were gone. They were just gone, and it was Christmas.

and it was Christmas. - nodding

[ In Reply To ..]
I was actually going to mention Christmas on one of my replies because to me, that is the epitome of stinks and so many places lay-off then.

Go through it repeatedly in manufacturing - sailor

[ In Reply To ..]
Plastics, textile and steel (yes, we need career changes). No way to plan whatsoever. Our family is never sure how long we'll be working before the next round of layoffs hit. It reached the point where we pray the layoff lasts long enough to get the unemployment and food stamps straight before they called us back. If it doesn't last long enough, it means long nights with empty stomachs because the dollars are stretching to keep a roof over our head.

YES... Heartland - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
Not just any company but an MTSO. In 2007, the MTs were all notified via conference call - not e-mail - 3 months in advance of the lay offs. They also provided information as to how to file for unemployment. If we chose to stay on until the end, they were actually paying us for the down time with NJA while the work was being transitioned to India, and they were very flexible if an employee had to take time off in order to complete interviews, etc. The fact that we lost our jobs was terrible, but they treated us as fairly as possible in doing so, and NO ONE sabotaged anything. Is that the info you were looking for? These people were NOT treated fairly, and everyone should just let them vent.

Thanks, no1joe, for showing decent layoffs - anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
are possible and are done. That is valuable information. Hope Webmedx management is reminded.

Venting is fine here as long as it's truthful and appropriate in degree. Using a layoff as an excuse to abandon all standards of decent behavior in favor of vicious lies and abuse and hysterical silliness is NOT acceptable.

Unless you are a moderator you do not get to decide - what is acceptable here

[ In Reply To ..]
And as far as "vicious lies and abuse" we had far more of that from suits on this board than we had from anyone laid off. Maybe if there had been less of THAT things would have been quieter. Management fanned the flames with all the "yawn, big deal, layoffs happen all day every day" posts - what did they expect - love and praise?!?!

NOTHING the suits do is "acceptable". - Suits are bottom-feeders.

[ In Reply To ..]

Yes, thank you, no1joe. - Fact seeking

[ In Reply To ..]
We that if you treat people as adults and with respect, most will respond in kind. I am sure WX knew about these impending layoffs well in advance. They would have to with the bidding process they spoke of in their company meeting recording.

Similar Messages:

Impending Termination
Jan 08, 2013

Received an email today that said, in part, "due to an impending termination, extra coverage will be needed..."  If these aren't scare tactics, what are? ...

Why Are We Told This Is Slow Time Of Year? MTSO Told Me This
Dec 09, 2010

make up all late reports, etc for the end of the year.  At my MTSO it is anything but slow, Getting lots of reports from Sept and Oct. ...

Could You Talking Of "impending" Sale Please Post Some Info/proof?
Sep 08, 2012

It's just reorganization because of Nuance buying Transcend, as far as I can see, and we all knew that was coming. As far as MM buying Nuance, you have to be kidding. MM was just bought by Chase, and they are in bad shape financially. They (MM) refused an offer from an unnamed company prior to the sale, and that offer was much higher than Chase's offer, FYI. There was speculation that Nuance was the company, however, no proof. Nuance is riding high with Nina and everything else the ...

OMG How Funny - Read Glassdoor Opinion Of Employees, US Versus Indian Employees!
Aug 05, 2013

I was just curious about what employees thought of Nuance on Glassdoor.  You read several US employee opinions and they reflect the morale listed on MTStars.  Scroll further down and read the opinions of the transcriptionists from India.  What a difference.  They are highly satisfied with their jobs and most have been working with Nuance for 6 to 7 years.  The US transcriptionists are very sad!!  What a difference..... ...

Where Are The Layoffs
Apr 07, 2013

Unless I missed something, no one has said if there were specific regions where many MTs were laid off. Perhaps MM is going about this region by region. I am a Tier 3 part-timer and have not received a call. Of course, my mgr said it was all a rumor -- yea, right. I agree with those who said we are being replaced by India. I'd love to know MM's timetable for this -- and their thinking behind who goes here and who stays. I have had more than enough work from my primary account ...

Maybe This Had Something To Do With The Layoffs.
Aug 20, 2013

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:E0vrOZbvAZAJ:www.klasresearch.com/print/%3Furl%3D/research/export/print/segment.aspx%3Fid%3D78+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a Data was retrieved by on Saturday, August 10, 2013.   Front-End Speech (FES) – system used for real-time voice to text conversion by clinicians enabling them to start, edit, complete, and sign off on notes or reports withoutsing transcription services.&n ...

LAYOFFS/PASSWORDS
Apr 04, 2013

I know this board is consumed right now about the layoffs but I have question. HAD to call Support yesterday and today, and was told that I cannot change my password in Ipswitch. He said only the techs could do it for me and that I am not allowed to have a personal password!! Never heard of such a thing. My head is spinning after talking to him. Are all you out there able to change your password?  So sorry to the person(s) that got laid off.  A job is a job and it's always sad t ...

Layoffs/Terminations
Apr 11, 2013

Think I will get the proverbial axe on Monday or Tuesday - Tuesday should be the first day of my new pay period according to my schedule.  After the corrective action for low LPH and many other things bugging me - definitely kept asking questions and when one did not answer, or answer fully, went higher, and also to HR.  I really did love this job and it makes me so angry and depressed all at once at how things have gotten so awful!  I did finally get them to finally acknowledge t ...

April Layoffs
Jul 24, 2013

I was laid off April 4th.  Supervisor was sorry she had to make the call as there was no problem with my work.  Had been with company 16 years and worked 7 days a week, third shift, split shift, part time.  It is all working out though, collecting unemployment and in school thanks to TAA.  Everything is paid for: books, tuition, supplies and if school is 50 miles from home, a gas allowance is available.  UE office said I could attend any college I chose and that thi ...

MModal Layoffs
Aug 17, 2013

Anyone wanting to discuss the lay offs by MModal and the commonaliities of people laid off, please contact me through the "reply by email" button below or through this board. We were fired because our jobs were outsourced.  The person who called and told about this "transition" admited it when I asked.   Company loyalty means nothing to these people; they're just big business.  I feel sorry for middle management, who probably know they're next to go. ...

Keystrokes Layoffs?
May 30, 2014

I just read that KS is laying off, can anyone confirm?  http://www.thelayoff.com/keystrokes-transcription-service ...

Layoffs -- If You Look In The MQ Address Book
Jun 02, 2010

nm ...

Latest Layoffs, Can We Figure Out
Jun 08, 2010

from what areas? SA4/South CCM is the same, but one regional director was changed from a guy to a woman I'm not familiar with. ...

Wonder How The Webmedx Layoffs Will Affect
Sep 02, 2010

I wonder if this is an "open the floodgates" kind of thing and will have a domino effect and more companies (like Medquist) will start laying off, too. Anybody have any comment on this? ...

Scan Medical Layoffs
May 21, 2011

I think I had posted this on the wrong board.  For those of you that lost their accounts at Scan Medical along with me where did you all go.  Did anyone try to go with the accounts to the new company or just start looking for jobs again. ...

Layoffs Curious If The Ones Laid Off
Apr 05, 2013

got an email from amy about all mt meeying on april 17?.  i got that email and 20 minutes later board was full of talks of layoffs.  just wondering if i got the email because im safe or if everyone got it ...

I Just Read The Posts Below About Layoffs.
Apr 05, 2013

The layoffs seem to be posts from Evelyn, Liz, Donna, Sue, Lee, Ruth, Pegge, Ginger and so on.  Another post stated she talked to her TSM and it was all rumors.  I do not mean to offend anyone, but I am part time and have overtime work tonight and for this weekend.  Maybe due to people being laid off??   The thing is, I do not work my hours like I should because I am so SICK of this job after being here way too many years to care anymore.  I have another job ...

Medical Transcription Layoffs
Sep 29, 2013

Many MTs are losing their jobs or grossly under-employed due to outsourcing.   The salary for many is insufficient to live off of in the USA. These MTs have been very loyal, flexible, highly productive employees that are committed to excellence.  How did we get to this point where hardworking, loyal medical transcriptionists are no longer valued as employees by even the "Best Companies?"  What can we do to keep MTs in the USA from being hungry and living in poverty level? These ...

M-Modal Hiring Now After Layoffs?
Oct 14, 2013

Why is M-Modal running an ad for hiring when they recently laid off so many transcriptionists? ...

Layoffs After EPIC Implementation
Jun 05, 2014

Has anyone worked where EPIC has been implemented?  Did transcription work pick up after initial drop off or were there layoffs? ...

Layoffs, Acquisitions, Economy, Companies. Sm
Sep 03, 2010

With the economy the way it is, layoffs happen.  Do you really think that companies like to lay people off?  If they lay people off, there is less being transcribed and less being invoiced and less profit lining their pockets.  While I agree that email seems a cold way to lay people off, what option did they have?  Everyone works remotely, right?  If they started to make phone calls, it would've caused a panic for those who weren't being laid off.  This wa ...

CONTACT LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ABOUT LAYOFFS!
Sep 03, 2010

If anyone is in the Atlanta, Georgia area or in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area who was laid off 2 days ago by Webmedx and is obviously still upset about it, as I am, I think it would be a good idea to notify any local newspapers in these 2 cities regarding the recent massive layoff at Webmedx, Inc. I believe the Atlanta office is their headquarters and the Pittsburgh office is their operations office.  I know they also have an office in Brentwood, Tennessee, but I'm ...

Don't Be Too Shocked By Christmas Layoffs And Firings
Dec 14, 2011

I used to work for a company that had an annual Christmas layoff. It was almost a joke with those of us who had survived the latest round. Most companies have a budget. In bad times they tend to run out of money at the end of the year. It's rotten and shows poor planning, but nobody should be shocked when it happens. ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...

MT Field
Oct 27, 2009

Don't you wonder why when you were in school you were told about how many jobs there were out there, how your income was endless and depended on how much work you wanted to do? I do have a job, not one that I can live off of, I earn about $200 every other week, but still, at least I have a job. I look at the job board and see how many people have viewed each job and wonder...at least it is just not me, where is the work? I wish that when I was researching school and such that they woul ...

New To Field Need HELP
Dec 26, 2009

I am in need of any help I can get.....I  was trained as a medical transcriptionist in the late 80's and transcribed for approx 2 years.  I  am now trying to get back into the field and needless to say my training from back then is not what employers today want.   SO my situation involves some major confusion.  Here goes,  1.  Schools-----OH MY GOD all of them claim to be the best, all claim that they have what you need, etc.....I am looking for some ...

This MT Field Is A Zoo.
Jan 24, 2012

Been out there a long time.  People are either cut-throat, manipulative and shmooze, or your best friend to your face, yet clickish and cruel.   (and I SO missed high school) Since when is all of that necessary?  Want something?  ASK ME DIRECT and if I cannot help you - STOP THERE.   Something I said in confidence rub you wrong?  TALK TO ME ABOUT IT.  ESPECIALLY WHEN I SENSE IT AND FLAT OUT ASK.  I'm so tired of the games p ...

F11 Key, Next Field
Feb 18, 2012

Years I ago I was able to assign {} to the F11 key and when I hit the F11 key in would jump to the next field in my document which was indicated by a {}.  I had all my docs set up this way and never had a problem until about six months ago.  Does anyone know how to do this.  It was a huge time saver especially in docs that are repetitive.  thanks for any help. ...

Has Anyone Else Gotten Out Of The Field Because
Jul 29, 2013

Field
Jun 23, 2014

i am considering a career as a medical transcriptionist and would like to contact someone in the fiield. Is this a good field.  Are jobs available.   What can I epect to earn? ...