A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Where are the layoffs - Evelyn

Posted: Apr 07, 2013

Unless I missed something, no one has said if there were specific regions where many MTs were laid off. Perhaps MM is going about this region by region. I am a Tier 3 part-timer and have not received a call. Of course, my mgr said it was all a rumor -- yea, right. I agree with those who said we are being replaced by India. I'd love to know MM's timetable for this -- and their thinking behind who goes here and who stays. I have had more than enough work from my primary account for my 25-hour weeks. I was given multiple secondary accounts, did them for a few weeks and have not had them since, so that makes me curious. So again, what regions have laid people off? Perhaps those of us on the East Coast are safe for a bit.

Where - Mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I am on the east...do work for what i believe is the northern/northeast area...was told by our manager she had to let about 10 go...not sure on specifics of what they were..ft/pt/tier etc

Out of all the layoffs, only 2 mentioned their region ... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The southeast and the west.

I do know that MM likes to "roll things out in regions" so they could very well be taking this region by region.

There are dozens of TSMs in the western region so while there appears to have been layoffs by one, my TSM for the western region didn't have any layoffs at all in her BOB. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to any of it.

Rumor - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't work for M-Modal but I follow the message boards closely. I'm confused about these layoffs and have to wonder if some of this is not a rumor. I don't know if I'm supposed to say, but there is an advertisement by M-Modal on MT Jobs for part-time MTs. Also, it's hard to know how many layoffs there actually were, it could be the same people posting over and over.

Thank you, we do know all that - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's been discussed extensively non-stop for days now.

We all know that - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no need to imply that I'm ignorant because you have been discussing this issue non-stop, I have not been here non-stop and I don't have time to read every single message. I've been asking the same question over and over in regard to why they placed an ad and then laid people off but no one has answered that, there is no need to get nasty with me.
Don't you think a big part of this mystery would be solved if we knew? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
And you don't have to read "every single message" to know it's been discussed almost every second of every day. A quick glance down the list and you would've seen that exact same question pondered dozens of times.

It's real easy for people from outside our situation to come on the MModal board and tell us how to act and feel when they don't have a clue what the MTs at our company are dealing with right now.

There have been many layoffs, it's been confirmed - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The layoffs were addressed by my TSM in a mass email so it's absolutely true - it's no rumor.

What did the email say? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of us are in the dark, so please share what your TSM said.
It was very general, but ... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
She only said that she wanted to address the posts on MT Stars regarding the layoffs. She said that it was true, there were several layoffs but none in her specific BOB, although she did have ongoing concerns about covering certain shifts and encouraged us all to consider switching some hours around to nights and weekends for better account coverage.

That was all she said, nothing at all specific about who was laid off, how many, etc ... just that it was true.
your TSM addressed MTStars?? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry you got such a laughable email from your TSM. How extraordinarily stupid and laughable.

If there were layoffs at my job and all my supervisor chose to do was talk about posts on a message board, I would be furious!

I would expect her to address facts about what is going on with the company, the region, etc. The best she could do was to discuss MTStars posts? How completely useless and irresponsible.
I don't really see it that way - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm guessing she had been flooded with calls, emails, etc all day about all the posts. At that time on Friday, there was a lot of talk about it being possibly a rumor so I'm sure she wanted to clarify what actually happened.

Also, I think she was trying to reassure the employees in our region that none of the layoffs had taken place in our BOB and that our region was OK (for now).

I didn't see it as irresponsible at all, I'm seeing it as a gutsy move on her part to go out on a limb and address what obviously no other TSMs are doing.

Also - no doubt they are under tight control of what they can and can't say. There is no doubt in my mind she couldn't address the layoffs directly - what's going on with the company, the region, etc because she isn't authorized to do that.

I for one appreciated the communication - too bad other TSMs don't have that same line of open communication. Someone's TSM above, sent a mass email talking about what they were doing this weekend. Now THAT is laughable and irresponsible, IMO.

Good point - Evelyn

[ In Reply To ..]
Good point. I also heard that they were holding a recruitment fair sometime this month. I don't know what to believe at this point.

Well - Worker

[ In Reply To ..]
Well believe that there were layoffs...got our email on friday..nothing in depth just stating a lot already knew about it and would be having meetings to discuss things soon.

Recruitment fair is in India - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Post below - Have no words to say.

[ In Reply To ..]
Deleted due to lack of support from the post below.

No offense? But I would NEVER post my job concerns - on Facebook

[ In Reply To ..]
Haven't any of those people learned from all the publicized cases of people being fired from their jobs for bad-mouthing their company on Facebook? So these people are lining up to post how much they hate MM with not only their FACES but their names attached to their post? Crazy. Not in a million years would I do something like that unless I was begging to be fired.
Wow! These are MTs who worked for years - and look what MM did to them.
[ In Reply To ..]
NOT ONE PERSON BAD MOUTHED MModal. Not one. Not one person was lined up to bad mouth MModal. I for one thought it was wonderful there was support for all the ones who posted they were let go AND others can help for giving encouragement and finding them jobs!

Such a heartless post of yours and I am quitting next week. I would not want to work for MModal ANYMORE, even if they begged for me to work for them.
Good luck to you ... can we divide up your work? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Because the rest of us who appreciate and actually need our job never seem to have enough.
Sure. No problem!!! I received $50.00 - on my last paycheck!
[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck to you! You may be next in line for the next round of layoffs. I will be done with college in a couple of months anyway. Rather focus on my midterms coming up.
Funny that MM has their own Facebook. - Lots of pictures of India.
[ In Reply To ..]
NO MESSAGE.

If it were me and I was running the show - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The first ones I would layoff would be the ones claiming partial U/E Not saying I blame them for putting food on the table, just from a company standpoint. And the ones making the most money..and the ones taking bennies..Get where I am going right? Profit margin..Bottom line is you can hire a newbie cheaper and a US newbie is better by far than an Indian..ASR at its best, what they don't understand or see for some reason, is all the mistakes caused by ASR. I switch things all day long that "look right" and could be right but they aren't because they are medical terms not everyday English..Which is why I would never be a good business owner..People over profit, I would take people any day.

As far as "the ones making the most money..." - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The most money as in the most cpl? I still make decent money with a high line count and make 9/5. Are there actually people still making 10/6? Tier 3, I would guess. My company was bought by MQ/MM, so all the pay rates aren't real clear to me. So these new hires, are they paying them 8/4 to do tier 3 work?

You're probably not going to make that for much longer - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
People who come to MM through a buyout almost *never* keep their original higher rate of pay. Over time, MM will gradually decrease you until you're making in line with the rest of us. Enjoy it while you have it. I've been with MM for 15 years, I'm a tier 3 MME and I don't make anything even CLOSE to 10/6 OR 9/5.
Like I said, first to go are higher line counts - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Bottom line if someone can and will do it cheaper, they will find it and utilize the free market to the best of their ability
Higher line counts first to go? That would be idiotic. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I think you mean higher pay rate? They're not going to fire anyone for producing a high line count.
Yes I did mean higher rate for line - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Oh yes they will - yes, really
[ In Reply To ..]
lay you off for procucing high line count. My TSM told me part of the reason my part time (32 hours a week) job was "eliminated" was that I had such a high line count that I took too many jobs away from full time and other employees. If you are giving them credit for not being idiotic, you are giving them too much credit.
thats a shame your a tier 3 MME and you dont make close - to 10/6 or 9/5
[ In Reply To ..]
I am just a mere MT and yes, I still make 10/6. I did not get fired or laid off. Maybe I am on borrowed time, but for the last 2 years people have said that they are getting rid of the highest paid. I would think I would be long gone by now...
MMEs only make 3 cents a line - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
... that's standard. Every MME makes the same amount. 99% of my work is MME work so no, I'm not even close to 10/6.

Hopefully, the facts that I'm earning a fraction of what you're earning AND that almost all my edits are for the Indian MTs, will help save my job in the long run.
I believe she's talking about base rate - MME too
[ In Reply To ..]
Sure QAing is 3cpl, but if you're typing or editing that's different. 10/6 is crazy though. I've been an MME for 3 years and MT for 7 years before that and only make 8/4. There was a pay cap they emailed out a couple years ago, and I can't remember what they were, but I believe that 10/6 is above that pay cap for a Tier 3.
That's what I'm saying though, 99% of my work is QAing - not typing or ASR
[ In Reply To ..]
I barely ever get any other type of work than QA. Technically, my base pay from years ago was 8/5, but that type of work is so infrequent that I don't even consider myself earning that anymore.

I will have to admit though, 10/6 is unheard of. In all the years I've been with this company this has to be the one and only instance I've heard of anyone earning that.
Older 10/6 thread... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
http://forum.mtstars.com/439914.html
The top pay for tier 3 is 10 and 6 - cant make anymore than that
[ In Reply To ..]
Even with working nights or CMT. That is the highest.
Pay rates - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Simply not true, I make more than that and I don't work nights.
You are wrong. - I should know.
[ In Reply To ..]
no message.
MModal MT Rewards Plan in MModal Intranet - SS
[ In Reply To ..]
In the MModal Intranet online in the MT Rewards Plan, it has the pay scales for all tiers. Tier 3 goes up to 10/6 unless of course they changed it and have not updated the online stuff.
Not necessarily true - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I came with Spheris, am a tier 3 and make 8.82 and 5.59, that is what they set me at with the switch over from Spheris. My base pay was slightly lower with Spheris, but since they took all the incentives away, they set my base pay slightly higher. Of course with most of the work ASR, I'm making much less overall than I did with Spheris. Still surviving, but barely.
I've been with M*Modal/MedQuist for over 11 - bought out from YOG in summer of 2001. (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
I currently earn 9 and 5, but that has also been reduced from the very few raises (2) I did receive over these many years. Yes, I do consider myself fortunate but, at the same time, cheated from a livable wage. I DID keep my original rate when bought out, but I do realize that has not been the case in past years for many MTs/MEs, and I am sorry for that.

I got hired at 8.25 for Tier 3 - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
so I was thinking more Tier 1s...Now I feel totally screwed..
I was hired tier 3 at 8.25 cpl also.....NM - SS
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
This was a couple of years ago... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
but I was offered 8.75 and 4 for Tier 3. The 4 for VR was non-negotiable, which is one of the reasons I declined (I ended up taking a job for VR at 5 plus incentives). The recruiter said that was capped for new hires. However, last year, I was hired as part of a buy-out for 9 and 5 (Tier 3). It's one of the main reasons I stayed on and so far it has worked out. I like my accounts and my supervisor, though I wish she wasn't leaving soon. I'm a little nervous since a bad supervisor can change the whole situation, and I've read about some doozies on here.
Response to I got hired at 8.25 for Tier 3 - KyraK
[ In Reply To ..]
Look at your paystub - you do not get 8.25 cents per line. That is what I was hired in at as well, about 2 years ago. I am a Tier 3 MT. We don't make that much - if we did, we'd all be doing well financially and we are not. I am part time, my paychecks are roughly $325 after taxes every 2 weeks - THAT IS NOT 8.25 CPL! It's 5 cpl for voice recognition and that is 99% of the work I get. Don't know how they can get away with that (MModal)
Well aware of my ASR rate - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I make far more than what you are saying though..ASR is a pain, but it is not overly difficult once you make shortcuts. Sure I would rather have straight typing, and I do get a lot of that, but it is what it is. I am riding the horse till it dies so to speak.

Yep paying tier 3 8/4 - SS

[ In Reply To ..]
I am tier 3, work on Futurenet, awful dictators mostly, and they said they have to start all tier 3 new employees at 8/4.

You say you can hire a newbie cheaper - however

[ In Reply To ..]
That is simply not true. I do an average of 310 lines per hour, ASR. Most newbies can barely cut the 150 line minimum.

Me at 310 lph at 6 cpl
2 newbies 150 lph each (300 total) at 4 cpl each (8 total)

Still 300 lph total, but 2 newbies = 8 cpl. I only make 6.

Therefore, where do you get that you can hire a newbie cheaper?

They will cut you off. Hire a newbie and - send the rest offshore. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They then will only have to pay a part-timer here in the US or get rid of you and hire one offshore person and pay no where near what they are paying you. Also, if you have a lot of time in with the company, you are probably getting more vacation time than a newcomer will. With the NJA situation, the new person will likely take any PTO they earn as wages during NJA time. Therefore, it is more cost effective to hire new than keep the oldies making more money and earning more time off.

See you did the math.. - I agree

[ In Reply To ..]
But they don't look at it that way..And if a newbie isn't making the line counts, at least they save on PT0..

But the amount of lines to be typed stays the same - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Whether there are 10 newbies or 20, it doesn't matter. MM pays by the line typed not by the hour. The total amount of lines available is the same for veterans as it is for newbies. If there is only 600 lines to type in 1 hour, that's what MM pays out for. Your math is saying that 2 newbies are typing 1 line, which isn't possible.

Of that 600 lines, with 2 newbies, 1 newbie types 300 lines in 2 hours and the second newbie types the other 300 lines in that same 2 hours. At 4cpl, MM paid out $24 in 2 hours (12 to each newbie). With 1 veteran, she types 600 lines in 2 hours. At 6 cpl, MM pays out $36 for those 2 hours for the same amount of lines typed.

Even if 30 newbies typed that same 600 lines at 10 lph each, MM still only would be paying out a total of $24 for those 2 hours.

Your math would make sense if it was by the hour where an infinite amount of employees can work on that same hour and get paid for that same hour; however, since there is a set amount of lines and only 1 person can type those lines, your math wouldn't work.

Laid Off - sarmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Got the call last Thursday, part time, West Region, 15 yrs total, started with Transcriptions Ltd.

Face it, they probably want to get a skeleton US crew - More layoffs coming.

[ In Reply To ..]
so in the meantime, without compromising pt care, I am speeding through, not proofreading anymore or fixing run-on sentences, tenses, etc. I know they're coming for me soon, so I have lost my give-a-hoot.

Me too... Im gonna make bank while I can - my give a damn is busted

[ In Reply To ..]
I just dont care anymore.
We are probably already on - Double Secret Probation
[ In Reply To ..]
anyway. What, me worry?
I stopped caring after a big pay-cut a few years ago. - Cant wait to bail on these Scrooges. nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Nail on the head - your so right

[ In Reply To ..]
x
I agree that they probably want a - skeleton U.S. crew. (SM)
[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder if anyone knows, even roughly, how many U.S. employees M*M has now? Or "had" before these latest layoffs. In the past, I think they've had quite a few U.S. employees, but I'm just wondering how close they might be getting now to having a nearly-skeleton crew (in comparison to years past). It sure seems like the biggest increase in new employees in recent months has been in India.

I worked for another MTSO after my hospital's work was outsourced to them. I had been FT at my hospital at 32 hrs/week. Because part of the outsourcing agreement was that the MTSO had to take all of the hospital's MTs and keep them at their current status, I was allowed to keep FT status at 32 hrs/week. A little under a year later, my MTSO was bought by M*M, and I would've either had to fall to PT status or increase my hours if I wanted to keep FT benefits. I would've chosen to fall to PT if I had stayed, but I decided to decline the M*M job offer. Now, though, after this week's lay-offs, I imagine that I would've been laid off, too, had I stayed.

So, anyway--does anyone know how many U.S. employees M*M has these days? (before the lay-offs this week)

More layoffs coming - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I can see your point completely, but please do not forget the fact that IT IS THE PATIENT THAT MATTERS. Please don't make patient care suffer because of the sons of bisquit eaters that own the company.
Agree. I'm not going to "dislike" the above, but... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see how you can *avoid* compromising patient care if speeding through and not proofreading (not fixing run-on sentences or tenses, yeah, who cares ... well, I do, but those really don't impact patient care).
By not proofreading, I meant - not going back and listening
[ In Reply To ..]
to the whole report a second time which I usually do. :)
Ah, cool. Goodness, you need to give that up anyway. :) - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I just do a quick read-through sans voice, just going back to listen to those few spots that might need it. I wish I could proof well totally on the fly like some do, but even with straight typing, I have always had a tendency to miss small words, so it's my "disability" to have to proofread the whole thing at the end. I speed through more quickly than some might on the first go since I know I'll have to proofread it all anyway, though.

Where? - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in FL, worked out of North region and my primary account was a facility in D.C. I was PT and worked 4 days a week, 24 hours total, was with company 7 years with excellent job performance and they let me go....

Similar Messages:

Maybe This Had Something To Do With The Layoffs.
Aug 20, 2013

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:E0vrOZbvAZAJ:www.klasresearch.com/print/%3Furl%3D/research/export/print/segment.aspx%3Fid%3D78+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a Data was retrieved by on Saturday, August 10, 2013.   Front-End Speech (FES) – system used for real-time voice to text conversion by clinicians enabling them to start, edit, complete, and sign off on notes or reports withoutsing transcription services.&n ...

LAYOFFS/PASSWORDS
Apr 04, 2013

I know this board is consumed right now about the layoffs but I have question. HAD to call Support yesterday and today, and was told that I cannot change my password in Ipswitch. He said only the techs could do it for me and that I am not allowed to have a personal password!! Never heard of such a thing. My head is spinning after talking to him. Are all you out there able to change your password?  So sorry to the person(s) that got laid off.  A job is a job and it's always sad t ...

Layoffs/Terminations
Apr 11, 2013

Think I will get the proverbial axe on Monday or Tuesday - Tuesday should be the first day of my new pay period according to my schedule.  After the corrective action for low LPH and many other things bugging me - definitely kept asking questions and when one did not answer, or answer fully, went higher, and also to HR.  I really did love this job and it makes me so angry and depressed all at once at how things have gotten so awful!  I did finally get them to finally acknowledge t ...

April Layoffs
Jul 24, 2013

I was laid off April 4th.  Supervisor was sorry she had to make the call as there was no problem with my work.  Had been with company 16 years and worked 7 days a week, third shift, split shift, part time.  It is all working out though, collecting unemployment and in school thanks to TAA.  Everything is paid for: books, tuition, supplies and if school is 50 miles from home, a gas allowance is available.  UE office said I could attend any college I chose and that thi ...

MModal Layoffs
Aug 17, 2013

Anyone wanting to discuss the lay offs by MModal and the commonaliities of people laid off, please contact me through the "reply by email" button below or through this board. We were fired because our jobs were outsourced.  The person who called and told about this "transition" admited it when I asked.   Company loyalty means nothing to these people; they're just big business.  I feel sorry for middle management, who probably know they're next to go. ...

Keystrokes Layoffs?
May 30, 2014

I just read that KS is laying off, can anyone confirm?  http://www.thelayoff.com/keystrokes-transcription-service ...

Layoffs -- If You Look In The MQ Address Book
Jun 02, 2010

nm ...

Latest Layoffs, Can We Figure Out
Jun 08, 2010

from what areas? SA4/South CCM is the same, but one regional director was changed from a guy to a woman I'm not familiar with. ...

Wonder How The Webmedx Layoffs Will Affect
Sep 02, 2010

I wonder if this is an "open the floodgates" kind of thing and will have a domino effect and more companies (like Medquist) will start laying off, too. Anybody have any comment on this? ...

Scan Medical Layoffs
May 21, 2011

I think I had posted this on the wrong board.  For those of you that lost their accounts at Scan Medical along with me where did you all go.  Did anyone try to go with the accounts to the new company or just start looking for jobs again. ...

Layoffs Curious If The Ones Laid Off
Apr 05, 2013

got an email from amy about all mt meeying on april 17?.  i got that email and 20 minutes later board was full of talks of layoffs.  just wondering if i got the email because im safe or if everyone got it ...

I Just Read The Posts Below About Layoffs.
Apr 05, 2013

The layoffs seem to be posts from Evelyn, Liz, Donna, Sue, Lee, Ruth, Pegge, Ginger and so on.  Another post stated she talked to her TSM and it was all rumors.  I do not mean to offend anyone, but I am part time and have overtime work tonight and for this weekend.  Maybe due to people being laid off??   The thing is, I do not work my hours like I should because I am so SICK of this job after being here way too many years to care anymore.  I have another job ...

Medical Transcription Layoffs
Sep 29, 2013

Many MTs are losing their jobs or grossly under-employed due to outsourcing.   The salary for many is insufficient to live off of in the USA. These MTs have been very loyal, flexible, highly productive employees that are committed to excellence.  How did we get to this point where hardworking, loyal medical transcriptionists are no longer valued as employees by even the "Best Companies?"  What can we do to keep MTs in the USA from being hungry and living in poverty level? These ...

M-Modal Hiring Now After Layoffs?
Oct 14, 2013

Why is M-Modal running an ad for hiring when they recently laid off so many transcriptionists? ...

Layoffs After EPIC Implementation
Jun 05, 2014

Has anyone worked where EPIC has been implemented?  Did transcription work pick up after initial drop off or were there layoffs? ...

Layoffs, Acquisitions, Economy, Companies. Sm
Sep 03, 2010

With the economy the way it is, layoffs happen.  Do you really think that companies like to lay people off?  If they lay people off, there is less being transcribed and less being invoiced and less profit lining their pockets.  While I agree that email seems a cold way to lay people off, what option did they have?  Everyone works remotely, right?  If they started to make phone calls, it would've caused a panic for those who weren't being laid off.  This wa ...

CONTACT LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ABOUT LAYOFFS!
Sep 03, 2010

If anyone is in the Atlanta, Georgia area or in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area who was laid off 2 days ago by Webmedx and is obviously still upset about it, as I am, I think it would be a good idea to notify any local newspapers in these 2 cities regarding the recent massive layoff at Webmedx, Inc. I believe the Atlanta office is their headquarters and the Pittsburgh office is their operations office.  I know they also have an office in Brentwood, Tennessee, but I'm ...

Don't Be Too Shocked By Christmas Layoffs And Firings
Dec 14, 2011

I used to work for a company that had an annual Christmas layoff. It was almost a joke with those of us who had survived the latest round. Most companies have a budget. In bad times they tend to run out of money at the end of the year. It's rotten and shows poor planning, but nobody should be shocked when it happens. ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...

Has Anyone Worked Anywhere In ANY Field Where Employees Were Told Of Impending Layoffs?
Sep 03, 2010

I've been working since I was 15 years old in various fields and have witnessed many, many layoffs.  Although I have usually been in a position where I was privvy to the details of when the layoff would take place and who was on the list to be cut, I have NEVER worked anywhere where the employees to be laid off were given a heads-up beforehand.  Sure, rumors would circulate about the impending cuts, but I've never heard of employers actually warning an employee that they were ...