A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally) - Boston_MT

Posted: Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been intentionally abbreviated so as to not incriminate anyone (including myself). Nonetheless, in early-2014, once the M announced their plans for Bankruptcy filing, well for me, that is the point in time when suddenly my world seemed to start crumbling. No longer able to pay bills, or to keep a roof over my head, or to put food on the table â that is when I KNEW that I my comfortable work-at-home employment status was headed down a slippery slope of no return. Actually, I worked at the M for almost 7 years. Before 2014, I was at the âtop of their pay scaleâ and making excellent money (relatively speaking). Then suddenly in early-2014 those paychecks started to dwindle. Frankly, I began to experience the dreaded NJA - almost daily - and I was asked by several desperate management personnel to just âhang in thereâ and with their promise that things âwould get better.â Unfortunately, things never got better and I was facing several daunting, and scary financial setbacks. Then I started reading the posts here on mtstars, etc., and quickly learned that I was not the only one in this industry who was suffering with a dwindling paycheck and constant NJA, etc. Unfortunately, since I am the head of the household, everything was dependent on my paycheck â and this became a huge problem in early-2014. Nonetheless, I pressed forward after hearing of the Bankruptcy at the M. However, through the magic of Social Media (i.e., LinkedIn and other networking sites) - I learned about potential hiring opportunities at other MTSOs, and specifically recruiters were allegedly looking for MTs with multiple years of experience working at the Big M. So, eventually, after much analysis of the job market at that time, I decided to accept an offer at âthe Tâ and during the first several months while working at the T, then I began to notice that even their accounts also started to dwindle away. Again, the same pattern began with NJA almost daily at the T â another coincidence? Nonetheless, after dealing with a group of very âabrasive individualsâ (i.e., part of the QC staff at the T - just my observation) and I started becoming very suspicious of this unfortunate pattern working with the QC staff at the T where I saw a lot of desperation, as though they needed to take down anyone who came across their paths, try to prove a point, etc. In other words, better known as Crabs In A Barrel. The old saying: âMisery Loves Companyâ - very true - just my observation. However, I was not having it and I knew something had to change quickly. Well, speaking for myself, I am a team player and definitely do not appreciate being ostracized for completely ridiculous reasons, not justified by any reasonable explanation, etc. As mentioned, I am a well-seasoned MT/Editor and I have always produced top quality work â so while working at the T, my philosophy was to blatantly refuse to listen to such negative people yelling into the phone, and often because I may have (allegedly) âmisplaced a coma.â Really? Well, for me, that nonsense had to stop, so eventually after a few short months, I had to end my working relationship with the T and find a more suitable work environment. All along, however, I frequently heard mention of one particular MTSO which received many high accolades, indicating that this MTSO was a âgreat place to workâ and indicating that their reputation was outstanding, etc. So I thought figured that this could be exactly what the doctor ordered, and that as long as I continued working as a MT/Editor â then possibly this would be a great fit for me. Fortunately, I noticed this âidealâ MTSO had posted several job openings online (mtjobs.com) and I decided to submit my Resume, complete the testing process again, and after a few months of callbacks, screening and interviewing - I landed the job! However, much to my surprise after having worked there myself - I can truly testify that this work experience indeed is like a "breath of fresh air" â and indeed it is wonderful!! I share my story just to express the simple fact that not all MTSOs are terrible and not all MTSO present unbearable working environments. Yes, we all have to go through some negative work experiences at some of the MTSOs. However, I thank God to have finally found an MTSO that fits my style of Professionalism. I can only speak for myself and I know that since leaving the M, and since leaving the N, and the T â my lifestyle has improved drastically. My health has improved. My blood pressure has gone down and my sleep pattern has improved tenfold. No more migraine headaches and the stress level in my life has decreased tremendously. Coincidence? My prayer is that this information has reached someone out there and you are able to make transitions to ANY other work environment that does not cause such a tremendous amount of stress in your life. Lastly, I would encourage anyone to remain diligent and keep up the search to find YOUR Good Fit. I am grateful that I have FINALLY found my Good Fit and now I am a Happy Camper (once again)!! I plan to ride the wave for as long as I can, until the MT industry does whatever is going to happen is inevitable, and I personally can see the trend/pattern within the industry. However, in the meantime, I thank God that once again I can pay the rent and put food on the table. Peace To You All.

I find it puzzling that you wrote all that but never mentioned - the name of the company (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

A lot of people dont mention names because - what works for one may not..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
work for the other. There will always be someone who has worked there previously whose experience was not so pleasant and then they will chime in and post about it, which usually leads to a snowball effect. She also mentioned she worked for MModal for 7 years and did very well with them, making a decent living and we all know the reputation MModal gets on these boards, but yet it seemed to work really well for her.

I took her post as a happy vent, sharing her ups and downs over the last past year, encouraging others to not give up, because there may still be something out there to suit your needs. Maybe she just wanted to share to give others hope.

Keep Hope Alive - Boston_MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Simple message.

Would you send me an email stating your new employer? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks!

where oh where please? - needtoknow

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh come on, share the love! Can you give at least give some hints as to the great place you're now at? I'm a woman crawling for days through the desert looking for a glass of water. Please give!
Full Disclosure ... from OP - Boston_MT
[ In Reply To ..]
From OP: As indicated, I was able to find my Good Fit and the purpose of sharing my story was simply to encourage others and provide some Hope, and so that others will find a way to their Good Fit while working as an MT/Editor. Basically, I diligently searched on mtjobs.com and continued networking on LinkedIn as well as other internet resources. Persistence is key!
good fit - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Blah blah blah

2014 was not so great here either list major acct with a co I loved to work for. Hanging by a thread. Also sole breadwinner and lost my only living sibling leaving me an orphan. So while im happy for you. Don't post such if your not willing to share. Most of us would we need to stick together. I work 12 hour days. Don't sleep either.

If there are typos this was dine on my phone and does not reflect my quality of work
Happy for YOU! - jaz
[ In Reply To ..]
Your post was a welcome rainbow. I spent 12 years in a job I loved. Now, I am on the testing train. I commend you for sharing something positive. To those who feel she should share the company name... that's a totally unreasonable request. I would do so only for my best friend, if she was an exceptional MT. Diligence is the only way to get through this morass.

Good for you! - JOttS

[ In Reply To ..]
What a great ending to what could have continued on down the path to God knows what. So happy for you and your great fit. Gives me and hopefully other MTs some kind of hope. I'm in that same situation you were before you found your fit... and I do understand why you didn't give the name. You may need to protect that gem. JOS

Similar Messages:

What Other Platforms Have You Found That Are As Good Or Even
Nov 30, 2012

better to use than DQS which I really like. ...

Finally Out Of MT For Good!! I Got A Great New Job Starting
Nov 22, 2014

next week.  Pay is better than average (MUCH better than MT to be sure), there are awesome bennies, including PTO and vacation and 401k.  Take a wild guess where it is.  I will be back later and let you all in on who I am with now! ...

A Light At The End Of The Tunnel, I Found A Good Job!
May 20, 2011

I have been looking for a month and have found a wonderful job, pays well with benefits. So don't give up new MTs! Try the local hospitals...many still have their own MTs. Don't give up! ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

Patrickâs, Gaenslenâs And 'Somasâ Tests Were Negative.
Dec 16, 2013

I cannot find Somas' anywhere.  Anyone know this one? ...

At Last! I Finally Found A PA Who Can Dictate!
May 16, 2012

She actually said, " PRN constipation" instead of "PRN for constipation!"    It bugs me so much when these people don't really know what they are really saying.  It's really nice to come across someone who has actually learned the correct meanings of the abbreviations they use!  Just sayin' ...

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

IMEDX Takeover...I Don't Have A Good Feeling About This. Does Anyone Have A Good Sm
Jul 07, 2012

experience with this company.  Sounds like they suck up our accounts and then pay us less than pennies to clean up the trash.  ...

Finally Found Out How To Place A Ticket On Remedy
May 29, 2012

okay, I apologize.  Finally found out how to place a ticket on Remedy.  I'm just so mad that I could have caught up on some zzzzz's if I had known I'd be sitting here for 1-1/2 hours waiting for work.  After trying a million passwords, finally found out that it's our number from our paystubs we use when going on remedy to create a ticket. ...

Good Friday; Good Bye Spheris
Apr 02, 2010

Well Good Friday to me.  I left Spheris.  It is indeed the best Friday for me in a very long time.  I've had it with their lousy platform, Mafia QA (they try their best to kill your spirit), mandatory this, mandatory that, do this, don't do that, change this, don't change that; no, don't change this, don't change that, and on and on and on, and now their bankruptcy.  No PTO for the next 4 months to keep the clients satisfied during ...

The Sky Is Falling â College Closes Medical Transcription Program â MTSO Cut Out As
Nov 05, 2010

The sky is falling !!! Anyone else see this?  Is this an aberration or a portent of the direction Medical Transcription is heading?    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 College ends medical transcription program Recently Delhi University announced its Medical Transcription Program, for the first time, was producing better transcriptionists in India including South Asia.  In the meantime, San Juan College is closing its Medical Transcription Program stating that there is les ...

Her Arms And Legs Are Likewise Very Thin And Almost S/l âkakesicâ. Any Help Would Be
Sep 28, 2011

âexcitingâ News In The Link Today
May 15, 2014

Hasn’t anyone read their emails and seen the “exciting” news in the Link today??  “….new compensation structure to be simple to understand, transparent, competitive, to be effective around 10/1….”  Translate:Simple to understand = unable to be calculated by MT Transparent = we all make the same regardless of experience Competitive = MTSOs battle each other to pay the lowest rates Sounds like another pay cut is in the work ...

âvigorous Pinprickâ To The Face?
Apr 04, 2013

Does “vigorous pinprick” to the face sound correct to you?  I’m imagining the doc stabbing needles into the patient's face. "Cranial Nerve V:  She reports no facial sensation other than in her forehead, though with vigorous (s/l pimpering), she does flinch but says she still does not feel it." ...

Toxiblay Confirmed As "âetat Cribleâ"
Mar 27, 2013

rad filled in word etat crible pronounced atociblay ...

What Happened To An Honest Dayâs Work For An Honest Dayâs Pay
Jul 29, 2010

It is amazing that more people are not committing suicide.  I guess that goes to the underlying optimism that human beings are inherently born with.   We always think there is good in all people and that we will be protected from evil.   But, what happened to an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay?  Every day there are posts about people working hard for their paltry wages, only to be paid late or not paid at all.  We cannot even apply for a job ...

Good Bye MT
Nov 02, 2009

I so look forward to these last 5 years going by fast:  Going back to college to get a  degree and walking away from MT never looking back.  If it wasnt for paying for my schooling, I'd be out of this by now.  If things get too bad I'd consider cutting lunch meat, stocking shelves at the neighborhood grocery store, whatever.  The only up side to my 10+ years of doing MT work has been able to stay home for my kids and making pocket change.&nb ...

Is This Good Pay Or Bad Pay???
Nov 11, 2009

.50 to .75 a page for legal for corporate: .40 to 1.00 per minute 0.0030 or 0.0040 per word.   I am so confused on whether this is good pay or not...help!     Thank you ...

Is This Good New Or Not?
Feb 17, 2010

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/02/15/daily9.html DO YOU THINK BELOW ARTICLE MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH SOME OF US MT'S SENDING IN EMAILS TO THAT ONE POST MENTIONED A WEEK AGO TO A REPORTER?  A Massachusetts company says proposed procedures for selling the assets of bankrupt Spheris Inc. are unfair and discourage others from bidding on the Franklin-based medical transcription company. Nuance Communications Inc., a maker of speech recognition software, fi ...

Who Is MQ ASR Good For?
Jul 01, 2010

Makes no difference that I know of to the dictator.  Doesn't save him or her any money. Probably a negative for the patient, as I sincerely believe there is a bigger chance of their medical record being less than accurate. Sure is not a plus for us MT/ME's, except those extremely few who seem to have the right account, I would venture a guess of about 5% of us.  The only positive I see is to the client.  They are getting lied to, that if they go with ASR, it is such a g ...

Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get A Good
Apr 03, 2010

I have a trial version now, and I need it in 5 days.  Is it better to download from a website or get the "hard copy" and install?  I don't have a lot of money to spend. ...

GOOD BYE ALL!!!!!
Jun 23, 2011

IM   D O N E  with all this at mtstars !!!! ...

I Can't Be THAT Good!
Oct 13, 2010

Y'all are freaking me out!  All this talk about PM and being watched when uploading or downloading a job, etc. etc. etc.  I am only a lowly second-tier MT.  I have been corrected a lot and it's all valid -- or an opinion based correction.  All my corrections have fallen in the minor minor category, but the way y'all talk you'd think I'd be let go by now.  OMG people!  Our QA person just transferred to some other department, and I suspect all ...

Does Anyone Have Anything Good To Say
Mar 19, 2011

At least they bothered to get back to me.   ...

Trying To Be A Good MME
Jun 11, 2011

I have been an MT for 8 years before moving up to the MME position recently.  I told myself that I would never nitpick as I experienced in the past.  I still hold true to that.  We are to only fill in the blanks unless we note an obvious error, then its full QA, except we get paid the fill-in-the-blank line rate rather than 100% QA line rate (3 cpl rather than 4).  However, if we fill in the blank and NOT catch an error that is caught on the MTs audit, we get clobbered ( ...

So Far So Good...
Sep 22, 2011

So I'm the new employee that posted a week or so ago. So far things are going good. Still in training so we will see. I do love the software and since I'm new, ASR is really the only thing I know, so I enjoy it. By the way the comedy stop section is histerical...it's a great way to end the week:) ...

Good-bye.
Dec 02, 2011

The obvious but the only thing that comes to mind now. ...

Something Good...
Dec 14, 2011

awhile back, i had posted about how MQ had taken over the company that i worked for and cut our pay in half...well, i am very happy to say that today, they they reinstated to almost what we were making, and are making it retroactive... ...

I'm Getting Out Of The MT Biz For Good!
Jan 20, 2012

After struggling financially and being increasingly unhappy with my job for three years (yes, only three years) I am officially DONE with MT work. I have other skills that would be more fullfilling to pursue and i'm going to do it. Honestly, i'd settle for a job at a grocery store at this point. At least i'd have a steady paycheck. I don't know if it's just me, but the monotony of this job makes me crazy. Just doing the same thing all day, every day, no socialization, QA ...

Oh Man, Not A Good Day When You Get An
Apr 13, 2012

22 letters long with more than its fair share of P's and J's who doesn't speak English dictating for 10+ minutes for your first report of the day.  ...