A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How would we get started with the Service Employees International Union - I Am Ready To Unioninize Sign Me Up

Posted: Jan 21, 2013

x

Union Facts and Figures - Nearly 5 Dollars Per Hour More

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.seiu.org/a/ourunion/research/union-advantage-facts-and-figures.php

I really think that would be our only hope at this point. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have time to research this more now, but this has been mentioned before, and I don't know why it hasn't been pursued or anything hasn't come of it if it has actually been pursued. Check these out:

http://archives.mtstars.com/main2005/37686.html

http://tinyurl.com/a5espp8

Unionizing - VTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally understand your frustration as an MT. I left the field and went to a hospital to work and I'm no longer doing transcription. I loved transcription but the demoralization, frustration, unlivable wages and everything else these companies threw at us to make sure we didn't earn a good wage, no raises, I just couldn't take it anymore and left.

Unfortunately, if you were successful at unionizing, these companies would probably pack up and take it all outside the U.S.

Good luck in your pursuit!
How stuff works - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
The SEIU has a reputation as being one of the most corrupt organizations in the US, you can do your own research.

Nuance would have to become a "union shop," the chances of that happening are slim to none.

The reason for the lower line rates is because the MTSOs undercut each other and will continue to do so in order to keep clients. If they charge more so that they can pay MTs better wages, clients will go elsewhere for their services, the unions cannot stop that.

MTSOs are in business to make a profit, there is nothing abnormal about that and it has nothing to do with you.

Union organizers do not work for free.

Best of luck.
Excuse me. Reason for low line rates industrywide is Corporate Greed. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
MTSOs make plenty of money as evidenced by their SEC filings. Just like many corporations these days in the USA. Greed is sending their workers to the poor house.

I have worked in a union company before - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It was a large, global company, but the union was able to come in anyway. The company treated us with respect because they feared the union.

They can't take all the work out of the country because some hospitals don't allow it.

The naysaying and fear-provoking on this board is probably coming from management. Union dues are not that expensive.

So have I. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
About 10 years ago, the last time I worked in house. We got paid $8 an hour, union dues were $30 per pay check, and when the hospital decided to eliminate the entire department and outsource, they just shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do. Biggest waste of $720 a year I have ever experienced, and it was mandatory for employment.

Me too - Maybe we had the same union - Total waste of my money

[ In Reply To ..]
Completely useless

Similar Messages:

Just Started With Breitner...any Current Employees
Jun 24, 2014

who are using a text expander other than the one in the program?  I'm not having much luck with it.  Also, are you using any macro program?   TIA! ...

If Service Employees Can Unionize Why Not Transcriptionists
May 03, 2010

Is anyone else fed up with the way transcriptionists are paid?  Ohmigod ... they call us MLS'es as if that makes a big frigging difference.  They tell us how much they appreciate us as if empty words pay the bills.   How come they  think that our  right thumb works for free ... how many cents per page do you lose because they won't pay for spaces?  And now, because of VR, transcriptionists are getting line cuts.  Why is it, when the companie ...

International Units Or International Units? Is This A Proper Noun? -nm
Nov 25, 2011

x ...

Remedy Self Service Portal - Is That The Same As Qcare Self Service?
Apr 06, 2012

x ...

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
May 14, 2012

Call me naive, but I just saw a popup ad that seems to be advertising that the county where I live has 5 international offices.  I don't know why I'm surprised to hear this, but it seems pertinent to our concerns regarding offshoring.  Maybe we should learn how to join them if we can't beat them?  Maybe global marketing is the subject we all could profit from studying?? "In addition to the U.S.-based International Marketing Division, the *** has offices in Californ ...

International Worker's Day
Mar 06, 2013

http://forum.mtstars.com/465915.html Strike Day is coming up. Start saving your pennies and begin your strike activities on that day when you at least have a critical mass. ...

SCRYPTIONS INTERNATIONAL
Oct 08, 2013

Has anyone ever heard of or worked for this company? ...

Scoping Careers International Has Anyone Ever
Feb 20, 2010

checked into this option or actually worked with these people? ...

Scoping Careers International
Aug 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this company.  Scoping Careers International Thanks! ...

International Labor Partners, What Do They Do?
Apr 19, 2012

I've read on here previous comments about the ILPs not having the skill set to perform straight transcription/editing, and if that's true (and I tend to believe it myself), then exactly what is their purpose in the industry? Can they churn out the line count (or way above and beyond line requirements)? Can they create/edit a document that is ready for release to clients? Who QAs their grammar, punctuation, spelling (in correct English)? Can they precisely transcribe OR reports, car ...

Tech Support International???
Nov 15, 2012

This might be old news, but I don't call tech support much. I called them a couple of days ago, and the automated voice told me it may be international. I am pretty sure the woman was from India. Last year, I used to only get local boys on the phone for that sort of thing. How long has this been going on? I wonder what sort of impact it had on our tech support guys. ...

International Units Per Liter Or IU/L For Labs..sm
Feb 23, 2010

Some questions regarding this rule: for medications i know we shoud put in international units or just units but for labs, we can't put in IU/L? should it be internationa units per liter and for IU/mL, do we put in international units per mL or international units per milliliter?   Thanks. ...

OMG How Funny - Read Glassdoor Opinion Of Employees, US Versus Indian Employees!
Aug 05, 2013

I was just curious about what employees thought of Nuance on Glassdoor.  You read several US employee opinions and they reflect the morale listed on MTStars.  Scroll further down and read the opinions of the transcriptionists from India.  What a difference.  They are highly satisfied with their jobs and most have been working with Nuance for 6 to 7 years.  The US transcriptionists are very sad!!  What a difference..... ...

Your Call May Be Routed To An International Support Representative
Nov 08, 2012

That's the message you get when you call into 1-800-DICTATE now.  Oh joy.  So a very simple support call that used to take 2 minutes, now takes 20 because mohammed doesn't understand half of what I say, and vice versa.  He also doesn't know basic DQS terms that someone who is SUPPOSED to be helping us with DQS issues should know. And don't bother requesting to be transferred to the US support team.  They refuse (probably because there is no US support te ...

S/l "quant Anesthesia Was 4478 Mili International Units
Dec 20, 2009

10 mils"   This is an ESL doctor...really difficult to understand so I may be wayyy off on this! ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...