A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

People skills for work-at-home people - sm

Posted: Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and mainly started transcription as a way to give my mother-in-law a break from babysitting.  I just wondered if it is just me or if others have the same problem.  I have also found that things I have been able to hold back in the past just seem to flow freely now, such as anger or things that you are thinking in the back of your head but would never say.

Work-at-home people - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Not so much losing "people skills," however, most definately miss real-live interaction, and it is compounded more if you work for a company who only contacts you to complain.

Just call me Hermit - Hermit

[ In Reply To ..]
I definitely can identify with how you feel. I use to be a "people person." Even received employee of the month back in the day of working inhouse. Now, I don't even want to go to the store. I've become reclusive...a hermit...especially since children are out of school. It's as though I am becoming afraid of the real world...depression definitely settling in on me...not to mention the pounds packing on...use to be 130 now a good 170...time for a change. Going to keep doing MT work, but am going to find an outlet and going to do something that gets me out of the house! Wish me luck!

I know what you mean. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Before I started doing transcription from my home 6 years ago, my previous job had been as an airline account executive doing presentations for anywhere from 250-500 corporate clients at each presentation. My job included doing these presentations sometimes 2-3 times a week and traveling all over the world to conduct the 4-hour seminars (sometime doing 2 seminars in 1 day with just a short lunch break in between the 2 sessions.

After 9/11 happened, I lost my airline job, so went back to school to learn transcription. Now that I have been out of public speaking for 9 years, I find myself absolutely unable to get up in front of a group to speak and even having trouble with normal conversations with others. As you said, too, it doesn't help that I have gained so much weight from all the sitting and eating at my desk, etc.

I have always hated talking on the phone, so I don't have any contact that way either because I make people talk to my answering machine and, if it is something urgent, I will call them back.

It is almost like my old life belonged to a totally different person. I don't know how I ever used to get up and do those presentations and can't imagine ever being able to do that again, although I seem to be okay with children's groups. I teach a weekly Sunday School class of 3rd-6th graders, which is the highlight of my week and seems to be the only thing keeping me connected to the real world any more.

I have started to work out to an aerobic tape after work each day (before I do anything else; otherwise, I'll make some excuse to not do it), so that is starting to become habit for me. I have been working out every weeknight now for 4 weeks, and that is helping me feel better about myself, though I haven't seen any weight loss yet. I am also trying to not snack at my desk and eat 3 properly proportioned meals each day, so I am hoping to see some benefit to that, too.

I have a medical condition that keeps me from being able to drive, so I can't get out much and I live alone. It used to bother me a lot, but I am now pretty happy with being alone. I am afraid, though, that I am becoming more of a recluse and that it will eventually take over my life.

Me too. - rainyday

[ In Reply To ..]
I have also gained weight since working at home. I also can't stand to hear the phone ring. I never answer it. When I do go out into public (grocery store, occasional thrift store shopping, library), I am so excited to get out of the house, but then people seem so rude to me, I can't get home fast enough.

I'm quite content with my solitude, just get a craving to get out of the house every once in a while, but like I said the rudeness of the world in general makes me want to get back to my "cave." I don't know if it's really any issue as much as just an observation for me. The weight gain is totally an issue, though.

OP, your last sentence intrigued me. Could it be - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
that you're actually feeling freedom from the "group think" that goes with belonging to a group at work, rather than actual lack of control? Freedom from the sanctions or outright rejection that unsanctioned (independent) statements would have brought in the past? For people who fitted snugly into a group through high school, then moved on from one group to another at work places, becoming a group of one would be very different.

So glad you asked this. sm - Kabocha

[ In Reply To ..]
Your statement "It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others" could have been written by me. I tend to have word-finding issues and I think it is because I am a little nervous during face-to-face conversations with outsiders. No such issues when speaking to family at home. Since getting a dog a couple years ago, I have been taking him to the dog park and walking trails for both of us to socialize. My people skills have improve a little from this interaction, but I still have a way to go. So, back to your original post, you are not alone in feeling this way.

I am certainly glad to know it is not just me - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I sometimes think because I am typing what someone else is saying and concentrating on that, that I can't even think or get a sentence together by myself. The dog thing is a good idea. We are thinking of getting our children a dog for Christmas. I'm sure after the newness wears off I will get to do all of the dirty work, so that is definitely something to think about.

working at home - mtme

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, this job takes a toll on you mentally. I felt like a senior citizen who was dying to get out of the house and talk to someone. I finally took an in-house position. Less pay than what I was making, but much healthier and less stress. I realized I was actually depressed staying in the house that many hours alone. I even lost 15 pounds since getting out w/out even trying. I'm much more motivated now too. So, glad I'm not stuck in the house in my PJs anymore. My suggestions for those who have to stay home and work, find a few hours out everyday. Walks help somewhat. Volunteer somewhere. It can really stick working at home, but everyone always says "I would love to work from home" - they just dont know what they are asking for!

working at home - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I get up early every morning and take a shower and do my hair and makeup. After I drop my son off at school, I do my work until lunchtime, eat lunch, and then I go out, every single day. I go to the store, go to the mall with my sister, set up playdates for my son. Getting out of the house each and every day really really helps fight the feelings of isolation for me.

To MTME - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you. I tried working at home and lasted 3 years. I went back to working on site for the same employer. I also was depressed. Even though I'm at my desk doing exactly what I did when I was at home, there is some interaction with my co-workers and it's just nice being around other people. Also, my employer lets me take a lunch hour and bathroom breaks when I need them and I don't get in trouble if my hands are off the keyboard for more than 4 minutes, lol!

Working second shift might be an answer... - cindyoh

[ In Reply To ..]
...has always worked well for me, anyway. I really can't imaging working at home during the daytime anyway, especially since I live alone, no hubby or kids. I would think you would feel incredibly confined and shut in, especially in your own home. I've always loved having my days free to be outdoors in the yard or garage or running errants and could care less about being out after dark the older I've gotten. I've kind of designed my life these past 35 years finding plenty of things to keep myself busy during the day and happily settling in to work from 4 to 12 midnight. Some nights I'm exhausted before I sit down to work and needless to say, I sleep well. I get plenty of social contacts most days of the week, helping family, babysitting sometimes, just now getting more active with taking care of Mom, joing the local senior center myself (yikes). I feel very fortunate and can't wait till I can retire; wish it wasn't so far off.

Similar Messages:

Working MT From Home A "Hazard" For Single People?
Jun 01, 2010

Right now I'm working inhouse doing MT and I have a part time working from home.  I would like to eventually work from home full-time but someone mentioned to me that because I'm single, I shouldn't do it.  I am aware of the need to have balance of doing MT and interacting with people.  I live alone and I have no pets.   I have plans in mind if I work full-time at home, for ex. volunteer, take a college class, take an exercise class.  I would app ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...

So Sick Of People Saying Just Because We Work At Home, We Don't Really Work
Aug 31, 2010

I am so tired of people saying, "well, you work at home, so that's not really working."  or "you spend too much time on the computer."  or people coming over during working hours and saying, well you have time to visit, you work at home.  blah, blah, blah.  Let these people get the wrong medication because someone messed up their medical record or let them get screwed over in court because their record wasn't typed correctly, THEN will they realize that we do work?? ...

MDI-MD VR People Here?
Oct 21, 2009

I'm curious.  Any MTs willing to discuss how they like Escription and are working for MDI-MD/Transcend?  ...

DId MDI P.r.n. People Get A Pay Cut Too? Nm
Nov 24, 2009

s ...

MQ People
Sep 10, 2010

I usually come to this forum for good, solid, BRUTALLY HONEST opinon and help.  I have seen this field deteriorate over the years and got to wondering if the suits at MQ have any idea how long some of us have done this work and how poorly they are treating highly qualified, experiences MTs.  I am very curious to see how many years of experience we have.  I personally have 28 years experience and for the past 3 years have not brought in more than 20K.   When I used ...

To All Of You QA People.
Feb 08, 2011

I know this is a little thing, but after 2 years it is a little annoying.  Why do you ask MTs to look up physician names and addresses that are not in the database and to send to QA?  You NEVER enter them into the system, not once.  I have kept a list of physician names and addresses that we frequently use that are not in the database.  I send them to QA every time, requesting that they be entered.  I wonder what your response would be if we sent it blank?  Just a l ...

People Think I Have No Job....
Jul 08, 2011

Okay, four years of doing transcription and it's been four years of people calling all day to chat, wanting me to go do this and that, etc.  I've tried over and over to explain to them to not drop by because I'm WORKING! Have any of you had to get down right rude to make people understand?  Husband also doesn't seem to get it since he mentions "you're at home all day." Ugh. ...

Why Are People So Mean Lately?
Jan 08, 2012

without somebody jumping on you or making fun of you or being spelling police or telling you that's the way business operates so suck it up or go somewhere else. All that hate can't be good for you, but Flame Away!!  ...

Twice As Many People
Dec 26, 2012

typing as there are jobs to be picked up on my account, and we are told via email to work on shortest TAT.  Good grief.  The account will be clear in 5 minutes anyway.  Management is a bit irritating sometimes. ...

Do People Know What An MT Is When You Tell Them?
Jan 25, 2013

It's crazy to me that people do not even know what medical transcriptionists do most of the time.  When people ask me what I do and I tell them transcription, it never fails that they say "What is that?"  I tell them that I type what the doctor says and they say, "What does he say?"  It's crazy that nobody ever wonders how when they ask for medical records they get neatly typed pages from their doc instead of handwritten chicken scratch.  Even when I do explain it, ...

Do They Ever Just Lay People Off?
Jan 29, 2013

Has anyone ever been laid off or do they just expect their employees to quit?  No steady work here in our BOB since October, worse since Christmas.  Even today when work started picking up I still ended up 3 hours short.  I have asked for a transfer and have been denied.  I was told to make up my hours on Saturdays, but last week I was short 20 hours.  That makes for one long Saturday especially when there was no work on Saturday.  So I filed for part ...

99.6?! Obviously These People Really Know Nothing About MT.
Jun 03, 2013

x ...

Any Former DSG People
Jul 06, 2013

I'm just curious if any of the DSG victims who were bought out by MM are still with MM. I had quit MM (MQ at the time) years earlier to go with DSG, only to get slammed back into MQ/MM when they bought out DSG. I quit MM after 8 months of the buy-out. It was my goal from day one of the buy-out and I finally succeeded in getting out of MT completely. ...

Now All Those People Who Would Have
Aug 23, 2013

will be in there working, and that can mean only one thing. This whole thing is about to MPlode. ...

Any Ex DSG People Here?
Feb 23, 2014

Ooops, I accidentally posted this under a reply to something else, so here goes again. Any ex-DSG people here? After 15 years, I finally had left MQ to go to DSG, then got thrown back into MQ/MM 2 years later when they bought out DSGs medical transcription department. I left MT completely after that fiasco. I trusted no company after that mess and decided leaving MT was the smartest thing to do. Just wondering if any of you Ex-DSGers are still working for MM, and if not, what are you doing ...

Too Many People In The Pot Here
Apr 09, 2014

I have a TSM, who I never hear from. Wonder what she does? I have a QA lead that I hear from when I screw up, then there is another one that does quality updates, what the is that anyway and why do I care? And then there is the one that sends out daily backlogs that also mean NOTHING to me in the grand scheme of life. Seems maybe we could trim the fat if we held maybe 2 people accountable to do their stinking jobs instead of 4. Not to mention the ones in the even higher positions that I ha ...

TTS People...
Apr 25, 2014

If anyone who works for TTS can help me, I would appreciate it. I've been there 3 weeks and I am actually happy working there. But .... I am super paranoid about sticking to 8 hours per day because I was warned that OT is not allowed unless expressly offered and only after I am off the orientation team and on the production team.  So I am being really careful about my active platform time but I wonder if I'm being TOO careful. I mean if I end up working 8 hours 10 minutes instead ...

Were Are The QA People
May 05, 2014

Kidney disease is stage 1, 2, etc. Roman numerals are no longer used..yet every report I check on this person in docqumanage has roman numerals. ...

People Should Know
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone ever thought of contacting the national media to let the nation as a whole know where their medical records are going and who is doing them and that fact that people have died because of wrong medications, etc.?  I thing most Americans would be surprised and pissed to find out that their private medical information is ending up in India.  They might not care as much about our wages and what is happening to our jobs, but I think they would care about where their personal info ...

I Know People Say
Oct 29, 2014

that Nuance rarely gives raises but if I was to ask for a raise who do I contact HR or my TSM?  Thanks! ...

When And What To POC People Do?
Jun 02, 2015

How do we know when we can go in and make up lost time if our TSM is off duty?  Is this the function of the POC positions and if so how do we contact them?  they on Spark?  TIA ...

And Some People Wonder Why We Complain About MQ's ASR - Sm
Oct 21, 2009

ESL+ASR=THIS ---- <insert primal scream> He asked his wife which that his wife spray as cord friend and that she said that he does not have more through the does not he does not snore and he stated that he he is not having mouth breathing.     ...

MQ Advertising For More People ;(
Nov 08, 2009

which is no big deal, except that they can't seem to give me as much work as I want.  Same office going off and hiring more people and yet I've repeatedly asked for more work.  I've been trained on FOUR accounts, and then as each one peters out, they pull me off and put me on another one, and the cycle repeats.    Not only am I getting sick and tired of constantly training on a new hospital, but I'm getting sick and tired of constantly getting no jobs av ...

Is Anyone Unhappy That MDI PT People Are
Nov 22, 2009

getting the same paycut for NO benefits (other than 401K) as FT people are for the full gamut of benefits?  That doesn't seem quite fair to me.  I understand the cut for FT with benefits, just not for PT withOUT benefits.  What exactly is the PT paycut FOR? ...

Rude People
Dec 15, 2009

Why has everyone gotten so rude.  You apply for jobs and you can sense the "Tude" through the E-mails - if they are kind enough to send you one!  35+ years experience and they act like you are just off the boat to Transcription Land.    Counting the days until I can retire.  Love the websites that say you can make $60 K a year too - now that is really rude! ...

Why Are Some QA People So Snippy To Everyone?
Jan 26, 2010

Some, not all, QA people need to realize our frustrations are just as great as theirs.  That's why the report is sent to QA in the first place!!  I realize they may tell the same MTs the same things over and over again, but they should keep in mind that is not always the case, and people do have feelings and manners.  Some QA people develop such attitudes that they really should consider another line of business.  If you send me e mails that are so generalized that ...

Question For Non-MQ People
Jan 29, 2010

I have a mini survey question for non-MQ people.  Not discriminating against MQ or MQ MTs, I just already know where they sit for the most part and I worked there for years myself. Do you non-MQ people who are scheduled to work 40 hours a week have enough work to keep you going  all week?  Please specify if you are doing clinic or acute care (or both) and if you are remote or in-house.  Specify "I work from home doing [clinic/acute care]," I work in a clinic. ...

Swapboard - Come On People And Use It
May 17, 2010

I have been trying to use the swapboard to flex my schedule around and seems like nobody is using it but a couple of people.  I am a Tier III.  I am just writing this to see if more people can use this and would like to know why no one is using it to move their schedules around instead of missing or using PTO or making up time which makes you feel like you are working every day of your life.  Please your thoughts? ...

What Is Wrong With These People?
Jun 11, 2010

A 7-year-old boy was murdered by the Taliban in an apparent act of retribution this week. Afghan officials said that the child was accused of spying for U.S. and NATO forces and hanged from a tree in southern Afghanistan. Daoud Ahmadi, the spokesman for the provincial governor of Helmand, said that the killing happened days after the boy's grandfather, Abdul Woodod Alokozai, spoke out against militants in their home village. Ahmadi said: "His grandfather is a tribal elder in the village a ...