A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I wonder if AHDI could be closed and reopened structured as a union - sm

Posted: Sep 12, 2012

It would only work if we kept the skeleton of the organization, throughout anyone in any position of authority who has ever gone overseas or been part of sending work overseas. They would not be eligible to serve in any capacity.

We would benefit from the albeit small membership still there and could build from that point. In a union, the members are the boss. If the leaders don't act in our interests, they will be gone.

Why wouldn't that work? I think it would be too difficult to start a union from scratch, but with what's already there, why not? There are some really nice people there. I know that some of them have not been and they are still hangers-on, coming up with new things to sell to us, but they would be gone. Anyone who has stabbed us in the back would be gone. We only keep the people as long as they serve us. If they don't, they go. I vote we do it!

If they worked overseas, taught overseas, or work for an overseas company - Gone! I like that idea

[ In Reply To ..]
That's one thing that has made us all so mad all these years. We've had these former leaders who sold us out and went overseas to teach. If we got rid of them, made them ineligible to serve in any capacity, I would buy into it. If just one of them came back and opened their mouth about anything and I would be out again. I'm not falling for that India-Philippines-Barbados is okay for officers to go make money routine.

They can't take their membership away but they can throw them off the BOD - That just might work

[ In Reply To ..]
If any of them are serving in any capacity, state or national, committees, officers, BOD, they should ask them to leave. If word got around that had happened, members who left because we had untrustworthy leadership would start coming back. I know I would.

That would sure go a long way toward proving they had good intent - In my opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
That definitely would show good intent. I don't think they would ever do it. I'm pretty sure they couldn't legally do it. If they could though, it would demonstrate to us all that they are finally listening and care what the membership thinks.
Yep, you went overseas; we don't need you on our side - because you apparently never were on our side
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't have to be on our side, but if you worked against us, we don't need you pretending like you are for us.
I can think of a couple who definitely need to be thrown - overboard!
[ In Reply To ..]
Not naming any names here, but that overseas opportunity that a few of them took made them irrelevant to me. I don't want them to have any responsibility that relates to me because they have abused their positions. I will not buy anything they sell or attend any lecture they ever give.

The whole organization is crooked. I say shut them - down and forget about them.

[ In Reply To ..]

I wouldn't miss any of those people - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
These are people I'll never forget, and not in a good way. They are stuck in my mind as a reminder of lack of ethics. If there were someway AHDI could show us that they are gone and not coming back, that would be a huge step in the right direction.

I think a union would have to be completely new, - with not one iota of AHDI in it.

[ In Reply To ..]
After all, if you were going to try to get AHDI to decide to become a union, it would be going against everything they currently believe in. They have no problem with sweatshop labor and third world pay. They have no problem with those at the top of organizations becoming richer and richer, at the expense of those at the bottom who are holding them up.

When you say "they", who are you talking about? - I thought AHDI was us

[ In Reply To ..]
AHDI is supposed to be us, not "they", isn't it? It should be what we want it to be, not what those fast talkers and bloggers have made it and are trying to make it. I wouldn't throw out everyone that is still there. Those who just endlessly talk at us need to be shown the door. I don't think it's necessary to throw out the whole organization.

LOL! If there is anything AHDI is NOT, it is "us". - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure most, if not all, of the management, CEO, sales, etc. of AHDI is fully aware of how dishonest this outfit is.

And although most MTs who go for the CMT so-called "certification" just don't know any better, there are probably some who are fully aware, when they pay all that money to take the test and keep up the credits, that they are funding their own demise.

Similar Messages:

MT To Closed Captioning?
Jul 27, 2010

I have been doing some research on closed captioning and CART jobs/career. I searched the archives here, also. Does anyone know, however, if one needs to be a court reporter in order to learn the above jobs?  I'm wondering if one can learn stenography, etc., in some type of program without going through the entire curriculum of court reporting. Thanks! ...

MTEC Closed
May 06, 2014

I graduated from there 3 years ago.  Gave up on a MT career but still get their employment opportunity emails.  The one today said they're closed.  News to me.  Anyone know why?  ...

MTEC Is Closed
May 08, 2014

Their last day was May 5.  It looks like they're closing down services to grads, too, something I thought would never go away.  In my mind, there is no doubt transcription is a sinking ship.  ...

Closed Captioning
Mar 29, 2015

Hey all, just a thought - if you're all tired of these transcription companies, it seems that closed captioning/court reporting out of your home is the way to go. I recently checked into this and it is very lucrative and you don't have to deal with outsourcing, low pay, all the "fun stuff" that medical transcription has to NOT offer. And, if you have a medical background, you get paid more as we are in high demand and would mean more pay. Again, just a thought and am definitely excited ...

Closed With 2-0 Nylon Suture Followed By
Dec 04, 2011

nm ...

Does Anyone One Know Any Companies That Do Closed Captioning?
Apr 04, 2014

I see some listed online but not sure what's legit.  Want to branch out from MT work. TIA. ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

The Tax Loopholes HAVE BEEN CLOSED Effective 2011!!
Aug 26, 2010

The bill has finally passed.  It is not illegal for companies to offshore, it is just not so profitable for them to do so.   ...

Closed Book Ortho Exam
Sep 04, 2011

I thought I had found a reference indicating a "closed-book" exam for SI joint pain.  Now I can't find it and I have been using it for a couple of weeks  and I don't know whether I found it or just thought I had found it.  Anybody familiar with it? ...

Closed-captioning With Speech-recognition
Jul 11, 2012

Hey guys, the other day I tested a software program called VoxcribeCC, it works well on videos. If you do closed captioning or subtitling, it really eases the task with its speech recognition and time stamping functions. Accuracy is pretty high. I think it is way more powerful than dragon  ...

Has Anyone Heard Anything About Typing Closed Captioning
Aug 29, 2014

Would that maybe be an option for those of us in need for work? That's not something I'd think would be going away and I remember hearing years ago that the pay was better than MT.  Though what's happened to that field in the years since, I have no clue.  I just can't imagine that every being outsourced. ...

Since The Window To Request Thanksgiving Has Closed
Oct 22, 2014

and the window to request Christmas is about to open, and the new rule our "scheduler" made up is that we can only take one of them, it would be nice if she would PROCESS THE THANKSGIVING REQUESTS SO WE KNOW IF WE CAN REQUEST CHRISTMAS OR NOT.    On a side note, since we can only take one of them, I suspect because she thinks it will make her job easier, that's going to throw way too many people working on completely dead holidays, which will lead to her having to fill out a ton ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

S/l Closed Tang Quads (some Type Of Exercise)
Mar 18, 2010

I have recommended that she start on a very vigorous exercise program including S/L closed tang quads and hip stabilizing exercises as well as walking and aerobic-type exercises.   tia.   ...

Getting References Is Hard When All The MTSOs I Worked For Are Closed
Mar 25, 2013

So I'm applying for a substitute position with my local school system and they want two professional references.  I don't want to ask the current MTSO I work for, nor the physicians in my private accounts.  I've worked for this MTSO for 5 years, a pretty significant length of time considering.  So I'm looking at my resume over the last 10 years and there are five companies closed/bought out. I have been in contact with a company I worked for from 1997 to 2003 ...

So.........corporate Offices Are Closed Today. Bet They Are Paid For It And NOT From Their PTO.
Jan 20, 2014

x ...

Codes, Coach, Closed Healing Which Is Not Going To Show Up On X-ray
Dec 09, 2014

Doing an orthopod Dr.  He says "At this point this is mostly (coach, codes, closed?) healing which is not going to show up on x-ray.  This is a 7-year-old boy with a left clavicle fracture.  Think it might be "closed".  Can't find coach or codes.  Any ideas if "closed" would be right? ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...