A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The reality of the UNION talk - LMJ

Posted: Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ******

This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!

NOT A JOKE!! - There are more of us than you think

[ In Reply To ..]
UMMMM, No, this is not a joke.

Yes, it is difficult because we don't know one another. But I see more followers, more people speaking out on here.

You don't want to organize or unionize, fine. Skip those posts and move on.

This is not going to "go away" (thank goodness).

You're right - LMJ

[ In Reply To ..]
The TOPIC won't go away. Back in the SMT days, there was a guy whose name we never mentioned lest it conjure him up with more of the same drum-beating, bugle-sounding posts that people are now putting on here. And that was in 1996. So you're right, the topic will be resurrected ad nauseum.

What has NOT changed? You can't organize MTs- the apathy is greater than the ire.

So yeah, you keep those "followers" (how do you know "more" are on here and not just a few being "more" people?) and we'll see where you are in 2026 and someone posting on a site somewhere saying "remember all those people who just kept dragging up unions?" LOL!

I think a lot of what passes for "apathy" in MTs - is actually lack of workforce experience. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Well, let me ask you this.. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you know that the anti-union posts on here are not being generated by just a few people? How do you know that many of them are not coming from management? We don't.

Whether a union would help us or not, I honestly do not know at this point. Who does have a lot to lose by our organization, however, are the big wigs. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if management or the like was coming on to forums like these trying to bust up or discourage any ideas about unionization.

You might say we should be grateful just to have jobs. In a sense, you'd be right. I have a lot of things to be thankful for in my life. But does that mean when someone is pooping on my head that I should be thanking them for the hat, too?

Yes, I know when I run out of work, I can get up from my chair and do something else around my house, but that's not the point. I still have to hang around at home and wait for the work to come in. There's only so many PTO hours to dig into, and we all need a paycheck. And please don't say that it's the nature of the beast, or that's the way this industry is. When I worked on site, whether it be a hospital or outpatient center, did I run out of work on a daily basis? No. I'm not saying we didn't have days that were slow, but never was I clocking in 7 days a week just to try to get my 40 hours. This is only happening with these transcription companies that take advantage of those of us who need to be at home.

I can't blame anyone at all for being apprehensive about speaking up, but the strength comes in numbers.

As far as this "guy" you're referring to, what specifically did this person do to try to organize a union? Did he/she contact any union representatives, write any letters? No, I don't imagine simply making bugle-sounding posts on a forum would accomplish very much. 1996, was it? Well, internet was still in its infancy back then. Very powerful tool.

As far as these pages that you are mocking, they have been put in place less than a week. Nothing worthwhile is easy or happens overnight. Don't assume your apathy is shared by everyone. It isn't. I am seeing people standing up for themselves more and more, not just with ideas of unionizing, but also by contacting attorneys and opening cases with their labor boards. More and more of us are refusing to sit down and shut up, and I say it's about time.
Oh yeah - LMJ
[ In Reply To ..]
"As far as this "guy" you're referring to, what specifically did this person do to try to organize a union? Did he/she contact any union representatives, write any letters? No, I don't imagine simply making bugle-sounding posts on a forum would accomplish very much. 1996, was it? Well, internet was still in its infancy back then. Very powerful tool. "

Oh YES! He wrote, contacted, had contacts, and drove us all insane:)

And the apathy isn't lack of work experience. Many MTs have TONS of work experience. They just are more interested in what's on their own plate than what's on yours. This is how the industry rates started the downslide. If Mary can do the acct herself for 8 cpl, does she really care if they were paying you 12 cpl and she's putting you out of a job? Ummmm, NO!

I'll continue to watch with interest where this little "protest" goes. I already know the outcome but it will be fun to watch how it gets there :)

And if you think people are standing up for themselves more and more, then read these pages a little better. Just this weekend alone there are many people complaining that they are spending hours and hours "on" with no work. Why would ANYONE do that?

But yeah, a union will be the remedy, yup. NOT! (And I havent asked anyone to sit down or shut up, rather PUT UP, which I don't see either.)
All right, you nasty little thing. - tsk tsk
[ In Reply To ..]
What IS your problem anyway?

WHO were this person's contacts? What SPECIFICALLY did this person do to try and organize? Again, you're not saying much of anything. "Drove us all insane"? Please speak only for yourself.

I don't care what you say. I know what I'm seeing here, and people are speaking out more than ever before.

We want to organize BECAUSE we are on for hours with no work, you see.

Have you heard anything back in 1996 or whatever or since then about a strike, before last week? I haven't.

Sounds like they are finally "putting" up, and again, it's about time.

Thanks for your energy, it's great! - Bettie_Bgood
[ In Reply To ..]
Rain everywhere, drabness, negativity. Thanks again for standing your ground, and supplying a jolt of energy. Like 2 cups of coffee straight to the brain.
Thank you too - :-) nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
talk about obtuse - LMJ
[ In Reply To ..]
It was 1996. I didn't take notes. I'm sure there are other SMT posters who occasionally fly by here who could tell you his name, I think it was John Garber or something like that.

Someone comes on here every few months, raises the union issue, talks about "striking" and then they go the way of all the other annoying bugs who do the same thing.

As to your comment about wanting to organize because you are on for hours with no work- A) Doesn't that make you too stupid to even look for a new job where you actually get paid? B) The people who are sitting for hours with no work are a mere drop in the MT bucket. You might be surprised if you actually do any REAL investigation (you know the kind where you talk to MTs who aren't staying with companies where they don't get paid) to find that most MTs still make an okay to good living and are happy with their jobs. They just don't generally post here because the MT-SUCKS police jump on them so quickly that it's useless to try and inject some reality.

Back to popping my popcorn waiting on the news of the big ol' MT Week strike and the impact it has on the business.
Where was this forum - in 1996?
[ In Reply To ..]
Because MT Stars was not around until 2001. Once again, we don't know what this person did or didn't do, so it's really a moot point. My guess is that people bring up the idea of unionizing occasionally on forums like this only to get attacked and called "stupid" or what not, so they just give up.

ONCE AGAIN!! I am referring to MT'S, working from home, for the MTSO's, many of which we all know are taking advantage of many hard-working MT's. As far as your comment about my being too stupid to look for another job, I would get another in-house job in a minute, but I need to be at home, for reasons that are none of your business. You can call me stupid, obtuse, a dreamer, I don't care. Do you know most MT'S personally? I don't think so. Show me YOUR "research".

You don't want to listen to any more of this? Then don't. I suggest you move on to other postings. We "annoying bugs" are not going away.
people are not speaking out more than ever before... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
not on this board. it's been discussed MORE before --- and dropped like an elevated with a broken cable.

this is just a new group of cheerleaders.

yaeay wee.
I think it's a great thing - this has sparked so much debate
[ In Reply To ..]
Even negative commentary is better than none at all. ;-)
yes, but that is why it's not going to happen, see? - ginger
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not a debate as much as people taking a stance and letting it be known.

I'm not for it. P-e-r-i-o-d.
Just out of curiosity, what part of the country - do you live in?
[ In Reply To ..]
?
lets not hold back - Chicago. Raised by a steel worker, too. - familiar with unions.
[ In Reply To ..]
I'd like to be making even 1/5 today, of what a union - steel worker made "back in the day".
[ In Reply To ..]
I think her main problem is she's not an MT. - s/msg
[ In Reply To ..]
She's the one in the dark blue "power" ensemble, with the sensible pumps, black stockings, blonde hair cut shoulder-length and turned under in proper corporate style, and a little company pin on her lapel, sitting in that corner office trying to look and act important.
LOL - thanks for a laugh - Bettie_Bgood
[ In Reply To ..]
There was an image forming in my mind, but it wasn't clear - thanks for making it clear! I needed a laugh.
It's a clear image in my mind, because I've seen far - to many of em. Go to the upper -
[ In Reply To ..]
floors of any hospital or other big corporation, and they're all over the place, all looking the same, like Stepford Wives. There's a reason the term "corporate clones" was coined, and she's one of 'em.
If you are so all-knowing, then what would YOU - do to bring about change in MT?
[ In Reply To ..]
Can you come up with any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas, or are you only good at criticism?
How do the kids phrase it? - LMJ
[ In Reply To ..]
I do me.

I spent a lot of years thinking you could change MTs. You can't. Apathy is rampant. "I DO ME." As long as that MT is making decent money and happy, they don't care what YOUR issue is. I finally got to the age where I joined that mindset.

*I* make sure I negotiate good terms.

*I* make sure I work for a company that respects me.

*I* make sure I only have to work 5-6 hours a day and still make a minimum of $2k a pay.

*I* make sure my manager knows if there's something I need. (And she's happy to accommodate me in most cases.)

For all the people working for companies who take advantage of them, that MT is personally responsible for being there. The MTSO does not have the capability of forcing you to work for them. Every MT at a cruddy company is there directly due to a choice THEY made. Until THAT changes, all this junk about unions and whining and oh they are so mean I have no work on a weekend (a holiday weekend in fact- been around MT much?), and all the other complaints.

Know who the loudest "we need a union" people are? The people whose skills likely just don't cut it anyway. People who were able to skate on the MT pond until someone said, time to thaw the pond and see who sinks and see who swims. I swim. Quite well in fact.
well said. Oh, but they think we are 'brainwashed' because - we did it on our own. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
And its their way of thinking that gets absolutely NOTHING accomplished, either on their own or with the crutch of a union.
Okay - Miss I I I me, me, me
[ In Reply To ..]
Who is this great company you work for?

I know!

Can't tell us, right? Because they would then just be FLOODED with resumes, right?

Riiiight.

You can go back to your nice corner office, now, Miss Suit. I think your work here is done.
LOL!!! my company does not hire here nor advertise. - sorry.
[ In Reply To ..]
and no, not a suit. not even a CMT. MT for 40 years, yes. and I love it.
I didn't ask you if your company ADVERTISES, - I asked you
[ In Reply To ..]
WHO your company IS??

Understand NOW??
Miss Suit doesn't want her co. to know she's frittering - away her time as a troll here.
[ In Reply To ..]
Then why did you start this thread, then? - Unbelievable!!
[ In Reply To ..]
On top of that, you just called yourself a troll!! Anyone who would not get behind employee cost of living raises and not see anything wrong with the overhiring and everything else that is going on has management written all over them.

Please continue to fritter away your time here. Please keep it coming, because it only pushes me to work harder at organizing and working at this cause. ;-)

Unions have my vote, and my FULL SUPPORT. - At this point there is nothing left to lose, (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
so why not give it a try? We're all going to lose our MT jobs anyway, if things continue on as usual. Unions might just buy us time, and done correctly, might even save this profession.

NOT mine so I just cancel you out. - blabla-blecksheep

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Brainwashed. Or wimply. Or both. - (Or management).
[ In Reply To ..]
LOL! not. you are so wrong, why would I go along with you on - unions? you blew it right there.
[ In Reply To ..]
end of conversation.
Uh huh. Yeah. "Management is always right." - NOT! (You guys arent very smart, either).
[ In Reply To ..]

MTs are against unions because they've been - brainwashed to believe they have it good.

[ In Reply To ..]
Why they fear union dues, or the threat of strikes, when they deal with no work, illegally-low pay and long working days, no paid overtime, no health ins., harrassment, threats, frequently incorrect QA on their work and getting dinged for it, and threat of more offshoring or VR on a DAILY basis, is beyond me. I guess they're so brainwashed and morally beaten-down, that they somehow feel they're "lucky" to have these stinking sweatshop jobs.

'Tis a pity.

Not everyone - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Not every employer treats their MTs badly. I work on site and have all the benefits you mention and am also paid very well, I definitely do not think my job "stinks". If you want benefits and paid overtime you are probably going to need to find an on-site job or another occupation. I never wanted to work at home but I guess I'm in the minority now. I had a hospital job years ago where the employees voted down union membership. It looks good on the surface but there are a lot of issues to consider. Personally, I hated having union organizers greeting me at the door I came to work and there again at shift change when I left. I'm sorry that I don't support your cause more enthusiastically but I'm not willing to tempt fate at this stage of my career. I'm not brainwashed, but just realistic.

Onsite MTs are an endangered species. You have - the good fortune to not have been - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
swept under the rug, so to speak, as we at-home MTs have been. Many, many of us are right now, as I type this (myself included) out there looking for those rare on-site jobs. There even seems to be a glimmer of hope lately, because some hospitals are ditching the awkward MTSOs, and going back to all in-house. Still, there aren't enough of those jobs to go around. Not yet, anyway, and maybe never.

But do you think those of us at home don't deserve someone to represent all of our voices? Separately, those voices may be tiny and barely audible. But collectively, we have the potential to roar. LOUDLY.

Obviously, you do not need a union. But don't sit there and try to tell us we at-home MTs don't, because we most definitely DO.
Good fortune - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not trying to demean your efforts, I know things are bad out there, and I know I am one of the fortunate ones. We have at-home MTs where I work too, we were given that choice. I worked at home for a few years but was happier in an office environment. Regardless, we all have the same benefits and I don't think any of us would want to jeopardize a good thing. So, there's one example of why it would be difficult to organize. I guess the union would have to be only for those employed by MTSOs. Seriously, I have asked this before whenever this topic comes up, and I'll ask it again: What is your plan and how do you intend to go about doing this, I really would like to know.
Yes, there's a huge difference between at-home - MTs who are actual hospital - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
employees, and MTs who are unfortunate enough to work for an MTSO. The MTSO is the middleman, and they take the difference between what we earn currently, and whatever we would be making if we were direct hospital employees. These middlemen used to provide a useful service to overburdened hospital MT departments, but now they're greedy, and they want the whole pie for themselves. At OUR expense, at at the expense of the integrity of a patient's medical record.
My Plan Is..Just To Use My Imagination - Bettie_Bgood
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to take a break the week of May 16th-May 22nd...and I'm going to IMAGINE what it would be like to have a job with multiple pay rates for VR editing...relative to the difficulty of the dictation (ESL, poor audio quality, poor speech recognition on the part of the computer, etc - that is, NOT a function of my supposed lack of transcription skill). I'm going to imagine what it would be like to have REAL paid downtime...to get a bonus for the number of accounts I could do, that is, a "flexibility bonus"...to have a yearly evaluation with the possibility of a yearly raise...and I may share some of my imagining with people at health systems...you know, those on the other side of the MTSO "firewall," via email. Why not give it a try yourself? You might enjoy it, find it a great stress reliever.
Bettie - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you all the best. My plate is pretty full right now, though. I'm the one with the full-time on site job and I'm also taking coding classes preparing for my certification. I'll be out of town visiting family those days and won't be thinking about MT. I don't know who those on the other side of the MTSO "firewall" are and wouldn't have a clue how to find their e-mail addresses, I lead a pretty sheltered life. Sorry, but imagining is not going to get it done.
yeah but aren't the dreamers cute? - bet she burns ID next.
[ In Reply To ..]
LOL - right
[ In Reply To ..]
you ARE a dreamer. Good luck getting the people at the Health Systems to listen to lil' old you and your woes.

lmAo. or is that lyAo!
Wow. You need to take a look in the mirror - and inside your own heart.
[ In Reply To ..]
Unless it's too black and shrivelled-up to do so anymore.

Dreamers are what built this country, put the first man on the moon, did the first open heart surgery, built the first prosthetic limb, or the first transcontinental railroad.

People without dreams, and ESPECIALLY those who try to squash the dreams of others, aren't human, they're just hollow cores, going through the motions every day but not really living.

surely you don't belive you are going to sway me into believing - in unions, right? conversation over.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Not trying to convince you to do anything, except - examine your own black, dead heart.
[ In Reply To ..]

now SEE? right there you do not have your fact straight. - you are emotionally driven. not happening.

[ In Reply To ..]

No, I think this person has the facts - perfectly straight,

[ In Reply To ..]
for many of us anyway. Everything that was said is true for many MT's.
right - I built up a good situation for myself with my skills so - I simply must be brainwashed!
[ In Reply To ..]
call the union police.
You must be, if you think your "skills" are somehow - make you better than everyone else here.
[ In Reply To ..]

What's so wrong about emotions being a driving - force behind bringing about change? sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless you just popped out from under a rock somewhere, there's enough boiling-hot emotion MTs are feeling about how they're being cheated, underpaid, and ground into the dirt, to light the city of New York for decades.

We're the dogs who've been getting kicked around just a wee bit too long, and now we're ready to bite back.

If you truly have no emotions about what has happened to MTs, and for way too long, then it's highly likely you're not really an MT at all. There are probably only a handful of MTs in the US that make a fair wage anymore. And those that do, likely still have a grasp on what's happening to almost everyone else, and it's highly doubtful they don't give cr@p-one about it. No, the ones who truly don't care, and who feel that anything powered by emotion is evil, or worse yet, a sign of weakness, is sitting on the management side of the fence.

You can deny it all you want, and claim to be an MT but let's face it, you aren't. I have yet to meet an MT (and I've met hundreds) in ANY corner of the industry - inhouse, at-home, employee, IC, working for a mega-MT company, or working part-time for a tiny company, that isn't hurting financially, physically, and emotionally from MTSO greed. Because that greed has reached out and touched all corners of MT, and lowered its perceived value, and the compensation MTs receive for work that is even harder and more complex now than it was 10 or 15 years ago. For less money than we were getting 10 or 15 years ago.

So make up all the stories you want, MTSO suit-in-disguise, we're just not buying them anymore. We know who you are, we know you're lurking and trying to put a negative spin on every word of truth, hope, or change that an MT speaks on this board. You're not about building, you're about tearing down. Others with your same mindset have all but destroyed what used to be a good career, and even what used to be a good country.
use your head and intelligence or no one out there will listen. - silly girl
[ In Reply To ..]
"All Ideas Begin in the Emotions" - Bettie_Bgood
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, that's a quote from Albert Einstein - a pretty smart guy, by all accounts. When someone interviewed him, and asked how he came up with his ideas, he said, you're asking the wrong question. All ideas begin in the emotions. When you cut yourself off from your emotions, there goes all the great ideas, the breakthrough organizing strategy that builds an MT union, finally.

I gotta go with Albert on this one.
Wow! Powerful! Thanks for posting! - Bettie_Bgood
[ In Reply To ..]
Tell it like it is. The truth is the truth, regardless of what anyone says on a message board - you, me, them, whomever. There's a rock bottom truth as to what is going on with MT jobs, with American jobs, with Chinese jobs, Indian jobs, etc. - same old story for a thousand years - concentration of wealth and impoverishment of everyone else. It's the oldest story and the same old battle. "The price of freedom is constant vigilance." Thanks again, you made my day.
BRAVO! - BRAVO!
[ In Reply To ..]
BRAVO! Couldn't have said it better.

Thank you.

do you hear yourself? we have it good so it must be a conspiracy? - no, got there on my own, no need to union.

[ In Reply To ..]

thanks for sharing your perspective - Bettie_Bgood

[ In Reply To ..]
I like to know what people are thinking, even when they disagree with me. It's funny, but every time someone says "union never," it strenghtens those of us who want one - so keep posting, and giving us our motivation to push forward. I mean, if there wasn't some part of you that realizes a union IS a possibility, deep inside where you would never admit it - you wouldn't be leaving comments. Each comment you leave betrays an inner conviction on your part, that a union IS possible for MTs. At least it seems that way to me. People laugh at what they fear. Seems that way to me.
Except what I fear - is
[ In Reply To ..]
you will continue to multiply in user names. OY VEY!
Or could be...multiply in union membership - Bettie_Bgood
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad I'm able to supply you with some enjoyment in your day, which you obviously get from my posts.
I think that's absolutely right - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
There were accomplishments much more monumental than unionizing that were scoffed at by many and claimed by many that were "never gonna happen". Civil rights and an African American president to name a few. I'm sure the Wright brothers were laughed at as well.

Anything that brings debate and makes people think is a good thing.

I agree, let the naysayers keep it coming. It inspires me too.

No, you DON'T have it good. - (You just THINK you do).

[ In Reply To ..]
(Insert "Twilight Zone" intro theme here)
lol - like you know. cannot take you seriourly, but thanks for the - GIGGLES! moving on now.
[ In Reply To ..]
xox
Well, praise be! - Buh-byeeeee !
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

Christmas Time - My Reality Check -- Love What I Do Then MT Reality Sinks In
Dec 22, 2013

REALITY CHECK ... makes me wanna testify this Holiday Season, let me share. I am now working as an MT/ME at a major MTSO corporation - and then reality slaps me in the face, on a daily basis as I merrily type my little fingers away, almost to the point of feeling aches and pain penetrating into my metacarpal phalanges. Now do not get me wrong, I love what I do and enjoy my work... and I am very good at what I do (top Tier ME/MT and QA, at the top of the pay scale, and always maintain 98% p ...

Perception Vs. Reality
Mar 03, 2010

I have read the emails and spoken with several of my friends as well as my Quality Coach. I have not always agreed with MedQuist over the years, however, I am not so ignorant or blind to miss the fact that the Q ... perceived to be evil or not, IS INVESTING in several programs that undeniably help the MTs who do the right thing, the so-call "higher performers".     ...

Need To Know The Reality About An MT Career
Oct 26, 2011

I am considering going through training to become an MT and have been reading the posts on this forum for several weeks now. Before I make a decision I would like some opinions from you all who know this industry. Specifically, I would be looking to do MT on a part time basis. I am a stay- at- home mom with two kids in elementary school. My questions: 1) How realistic is it to find a part time job in MT (after training) where I can work my own hours from home? It seems like a lot of ...

Internet And Reality
May 01, 2012

You all do know that because this is a public forum, that ANYONE can say WHATEVER they want and pump up their company, MQ, M*Modal, Nuance, ad. naseum?  Right?  You do know that, okay.  Back in the "day", we kinda knew who was who, and what was what; it is not that way anymore.  It is a whole new world.  You can open a new company with a couple bucks, post a lot of "WOW" comments on Google reviews and what-not, hey, looking good, good ratings/reviews.  Really, you&n ...

Reality Check
Jun 18, 2012

Transcenders are nothing special? Oh yes we are. Worked for a hospital system for over 20 years, was sold into slave labor to Transcend and now Nuance, the Wal Mart of transcription, is taking over. Sit here daily wait, wait, wait for work on an account that I KNOW GOOD AND WELL there is work on. Nuance, the Wal Mart of health care does not care about YOU, ME or the next person. All they want is $$$$$. ...

Economic Reality And MQ Policies
Mar 02, 2010

Years ago, hospitals were charged 15 cents a line.  Now you see ads for 9 cents.  You all know all the factors that make this possible.  The executives are not going to lower their salaries; they are going to continue to try to lower their cost per line of transcription.  If you are doing this to make some extra money, that is one thing, but for most MTs there is going to be no way you will be able to earn a decent full-time salary unless you can work 100 hours a week.  ...

When Will The Stats Show The Reality In Transcription?
Nov 15, 2009

In searching the web for a new job I keep running into federal and state stats that say the low end salary of a newbie transcriptionist is $14 and high end is $24.  They must be talking American dollars because Indians make $0.78 an hour.  They also say it is a growing field (so much so it's spilling into the sea and floating to India) and there is a high demand for experienced medical transcriptionists (!?)  Where the heck do they get their outdated information???  I f ...

Future Of MT -- Love What I Do, But Reality Sinks In
Feb 04, 2012

REALITY CHECK ... makes me wanna holler!! Now working as an ME/MT at two major MTSO corporations – and then reality slaps me in the face, on a daily basis, as I merrily type my little fingers away, almost to the point of feeling a bit of pain and arthritis coming on.  Please someone hand me the Mineral Ice or  Aspercreme before I  can no longer stand the pain !!!  ... and I am very good at what I do (top Tier ME/MT and QA, at the top of the pay scale, and always maint ...

Expectations, Reality Check ..and Plan Of Action
Dec 23, 2012

I just cant believe MMOdal have set their bar so low... What has MModal done to make our accuracy grow DEP programers, heres a piece of advice...get an option of grading the dictator in ur next version of DEP within the file....like, excellent, decent, good, bad, worst...whoever ever get 2 weeks of worst % should be warned if still no improvement, penailze with heafty fine and still no improvement, should be dumped from dictating forever.. 1.  MMODAL face it..ur DEP program is grabage..e ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

QA Talk
May 03, 2011

Over my many years in this industry, I have worked with tons of QA folks.  I was also one of them.  Most of them were great.  Also always wondered why everything does not go thru QA.  They QA all kinds of products in other industries like food products, toys, cars, etcetera.  ...

For Anyone To Come On Here And Talk About
Mar 20, 2014

yet unrealized position is just plain unprofessional. What reaction did you really expect? What was the purpose? Right now you have a piece of paper and a promise. Why not wait out the 6 months and then 2 long Mmodal years and then come back and share your journey of a lifetime. Don't forget, they once sold VR as the ticket to tripling your wages. Now that that train has run off the tracks, they need a new "dream" to suck you in. The promise of #30/hour is probably nothing more t ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

All This Monitoring Talk
Jun 24, 2010

I realize we work on production and that we're not making money when our fingers aren't moving, but I don't think there are too many jobs where you're actually actively working for the entire 8-hour shift.  There's always downtime.  I understand it being a problem if people aren't producing a reasonable amount of work during their shift, but come on!  Being chastised for stepping away from the keyboard for a bathroom break or to grab a cup of coffee i ...

Please Talk Me Down From Self-destruction
Apr 28, 2011

To make a long story short, I don't agree with QA scores I was given at my job.  I received an e-mail about it and need to reply nicely and suck it up, not unleash and possibly get fired. lol. I have to keep this job and need the money. Please talk me down. It's sad how medical transcription companies expect you to be 100% perfect. It seems like the MT is always wrong. Not QA, not the supervisors, not the presidents of the company. Whenever things go wrong, the MT alway ...

Let's Talk About The Pay We Deserve, Shall We?
Dec 01, 2011

Just for the sake of simplification, let's say there are 3 kinds of MTs: 1.  The MT who does absolutely any work type; operative notes, radiology, hematology, cardiology, neurology, and all the hard stuff, including difficult ESLs.  Good audits and production.  Good at VR. This MT is also certified. 2.  The MT who is not certified but has at least 10 years experience, many specialties, ESLs, good audits, VR, and excellent production. 3.  The newbie who ...

I Have To Thank All Of You Who Talk About Law Suits
May 14, 2012

You've made this board so completely boring that I no longer feel the need to come here every day.    ...

Applying To Talk To Amy?
Jul 27, 2012

Out of 4 slots how many of those do you think will be given to MTs?  I wish whoever is applying good luck. ...

What Is All This Talk About Using F11 All Of A Sudden?
Sep 19, 2012

I used it ONCE and got an e mail from my CCM to PROVE in Remedy and cc her where it needed to be straight typed.  I was told even if I could, to NEVER EVER use it again.  She meant it. So why do I see several threads and suggestions here about people using F11 a lot or suggesting we use it all the time?  I used it ONCE and got called down.  The ONLY reason I was excused was I put in Remedy the job number and a good reason.  However, I was WARNED STRONGLY to NE ...

Let's Talk About Spark!
Oct 28, 2013

Okay seriously..  Spark, the new instant messenger for Nuance times out for inactivity every 4 minutes, obviously set that way by Nuance since the Spark instruction page on their own website says it times out every 20 minutes.  Here's to the Nuance Police and their new "big brother" software! ...