A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion

Posted: Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union member.  The union calls the strike, not the workers.  Non-unionized employees have no rights to strike whatsoever and have no protection under the law.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/employee-strikes.html

No - nonunionized Walmart employees are stricking in CA - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
great news and about time, in my opinion. They are being advised by a union, but are not recognized as an official union...yet.

So sad that anyone is even wasting - their time with this.

[ In Reply To ..]
There is so much wrong now with what used to be MT that it will take far more than a "strike" to save it even if that were possible. My advice: Put your energy, time and smarts into finding a good career instead of trying to bring this zombie occupation back to life.

What time? Seems to me they are only posting, not doing - anything. How much times does that take? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Only a union can call a strike? - What rules and regulations

[ In Reply To ..]
do you live by? Are MTSOs who like and steal our paychecks falling some rules and regulations or laws?

The point is to get noticed. Who cares if we are unionized or not? The working conditions are horrendous. Our pay has been slashed. I am correcting mistakes a computer makes when I could do it myself the first time through. There are so many layers of bad management and VR/SR programmers, who are getting paid living wages, but we are not getting a living wage.

Grow up. Don't come on here and scare people with -- ohh will you have a job if you walk off or stop working? Do we have jobs now.

I am going to guess you work for management and don't want the workflow to stop because that would negative affect your bonus for the work we do for pennies a line.

There is nothing left. MT is no longer worth it financially, psychologically or spiritually. Walk off. Stop work. Now.

Similar Messages:

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

STRIKE
Nov 05, 2009

After 20 plus years in this field and now having to work 15 hour days to make a decent day's pay, I do not know about you, but I am fed up.  There is not a company out there that does in fact "value" our services.  If we can get 8/line we consider ourselves lucky.  I have seen the rates go down and believe that is due to the fact most companies outsource to other countries - whether they admit it or not - and was in fact told by a recent recruiter not to expect more than 8 ce ...

STRIKE!!!!! WE ALL NEED TO STRIKE
Nov 21, 2009

Go back to school - the economy is so rough on experienced MTs and we all need to band together and strike for three days just like people do with the gas prices.  Let them see how really important we are instead of paying us wages like a beginner transcriptionist. ...

STRIKE THREE
Jul 30, 2010

I have been on 100% QA for 3 MONTHS now.  Been working slower, taking my lumps, reading each (of my 300) client profiles, "thanking" my CCM and QA for their feedback, no no avail.  I can't live with this pay MQ gives.  I cannot make a decent check at 4cpl on 100% ASR.  I talked to my CCM, but really???  "There's nothing I can do until you're off QA, I understand how hard it is, I don't think it's right either..."   This cannot be LEG ...

What If We Went On Strike For A Day?
May 12, 2011

Really I am just being silly, but think about it!  What if we all just quit typing for one day?  What if the day we just don't type falls on an Indian Holiday?  HeHeHe then they would be screwed!  That's how I feel right now with the short changing I keep getting.  I am on a 95% ASR account with the world's worst dictators.  Oh well, just a thought.  I just thought I would share this after going over my line count and what I made today so far. *e ...

You All Need To Get Together And Strike.
Aug 16, 2013

You need to wake up the industry.  You all need to strike.  Need to pick a few days to not work at the same time.  You all need to call in sick.  You say you need your job??  I guarentee you this company is LAYING OFF MTs EVERYDAY!  There are some days which are in the hundred range.  You need to stand up and do something or you will soon GET THE CALL stating you are such a good employee, but......  we unfortunately have to let you go.  At least you ...

Going On A Strike....sm
Dec 04, 2014

We should all go on strike until they fix this pay plan or give us our old pay and leave it alone. Thousands of MLS on strike would have an impact. Even hundreds might. It's the only way to get heard or our point across. We are the "bottom feeders" but we are the ones doing all the hard work, have the schooling for it and produce in order for the higher guys to get their lovely bonuses and big checks. We make them money. We are the company basically. If so many are outraged then we need to ...

You Need To Strike Like Others Are Doing Today.
Jul 29, 2013

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29/fast-food-workers-plan-one-day-strike-for-monday/?test=latestnews   The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.  "A lot of ...

Strike In India, ILP's Asking Us To Help. I Say Let Them Sink. Nm
Dec 08, 2009

. ...

How Would You Feel About Organizing A Strike?
Apr 18, 2010

So, I know that there are a lot of issues from all sides of the MT industry and that a lot of people are unhappy.  I know that there are many happy MTs out there, but I think that those MTs may be newbies (and don't really know the difference of how it used to be to now) or are one the lucky few that work for some of the great companies out there, or possibly work in-house.  IMHO there should be NO reason to send our work out of the country, especially with delicate med ...

I Am Curious How Many Actually Did Strike Yesterday
May 02, 2012

I know it is not just the MTs, but I went to WM yesterday (yes I do hate WM, but no choice here in the middle of nowhere) and it was packed!!  Everyone was going about their normal daily routine it looked like. ...

MM India Strike, Anyone's Thoughts? :)
May 31, 2012

x ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST STRIKE! ..
Feb 19, 2015

As MTs, we have seen over the years how our jobs just keep bottoming out more or less.  Companies are taking advantage of us while they "suck up all the money" that is paid out by healthcare facilities; we just "don't count."  On top of that, companies are now trying to turn us into ICs supplying our own software programs AND equipment.  In 25 years of doing this, I have not seen line count pay increase one iota quite frankly.  The only thing I can think of is ...

Why Do MTSO Advertise, But Never Call Or If They Do Call, Nothing.
Feb 20, 2012

I am tired and frustrated from applying and sending out resumes only to be ignored.  It is like a game with them, I think.  MedGarde even has an interview which has absolutely nothing to do with your skills or qualifications.  In fact it seems like psychological testing to see if you are mentally competent or something like that.  I swear I feel like a mouse that is being tested and run through a maze to see how well you perform, but even mice will get the prize or food event ...

Reporting Time Pay Aka On Call Or Call-in Pay
May 08, 2015

I am considering requesting this pay which (depending on the state) considers us to be on-call and must be paid for part of our shift if no work. I have had it up to here with Nuance and running out of work, adding more and more accounts and STILL no work. Got a second job and STILL being screwed by Nuance in the sense that I cannot rely on my first job (income wise), because when there is enough work they manage to screw my cpl with their lovely FIESA, then as soon as I have no errors the work ...

Indian Workers On 24-hour Strike To Protest
Feb 28, 2012

Inflation (according to Reuters). Think we'll get more work? Sure hope this kind of thing catches on over there!  (take that, Kumar!). ...

Country-wide Strike In India Today
May 31, 2012

Wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in work because of this? My accounts are still pretty low. ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

Patient Has Colicky Abdominal Pain. Doc Tried To Ellcit S/l Heel Strike Sign? Help!
Apr 03, 2012

.. ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...