A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hey, I read an article somewhere about virtual organizing for union purposes. - Tired

Posted: Jun 12, 2015

I read somewhere that the employees of Gawker, an on-line news medium, had organized and voted for a union. They did this completely virtually, over computers, thereby bypassing management's chance to try to stop the effort. I am wondering if we should do the same thing. I plan on doing a little more research on it. Wouldn't that frost Nuance's little cookies if we could do something like that??

Seems they are in the early stages - Tired2

[ In Reply To ..]
according to the site Gawker.com Why We've Decided to Organize. But it seems like there is a lot of interest from the general public in this judging by the response to that article. The reasons given in that article don't hold a candle to our problems, but there is common ground here. We need to follow this closely.

I would think first off would be to have a secure third-party contact to protect the identities of those of us spearheading it, also to be able to weed out Nuance professional union busters. These are scary people that I had occasion to watch in another job many years ago. They are professional cutthroats, they themselves are organized and run national workshops and conferences for corporations on how to keep unions out of any given workplace.

Unionization is a big effort, but doable if it's done right. This place is ripe for it. Existing unions can help, but this is unionizing a virtual workforce which is very different from a bricks-and-mortar site. However can pull this off would be starting a national movement given the expanding virtual workforce.

Very interesting - the profits for MT are soaring

[ In Reply To ..]
Yet our working conditions and pay have been in a severe downward spiral, could the two be linked? Worse yet, they are predicting another "gain" in the "industry" and I am predicting more and more attempts to pick away at our already sorry pay and working conditions.

From the link:

"The global medical transcription services market was valued at USD 41.4 billion in 2012 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.6% from 2013 to 2019, to reach an estimated value of USD 60.6 billion in 2019."

Hmm, wasn't 2012 when my pay and working conditions started going down? Now they are predicting more "growth" by 2019, well either they are cutting our pay even further (well yes they will if they can get away with it) AND of course more offshoring and replacing us with technology.

I'm in. I have been frustrated before by the fact that, for example, the Attorney General of every state can only file for wage theft in that particular state so how do we do file a national wage theft claim? It would be a lot easier if there were a union, even of the virtual kind.

I cannot even get an answer from HR when I ask basic questions about working conditions which I believe are breaking the law in my state, which is the worst kind of cowardice - if we were in a real office they wouldn't be able to hide.

I will read about the Gawker effort and please share any ideas you have to make this happen. Thanks.

Union - Me2

[ In Reply To ..]
I will be becoming familiar with the Gawker situation also. I absolutely, 100% am interested in MTs becoming unionized, so count me in as one wanting to help/participate. I want to frost Nuance's little cookies so bad! :) I just want fairness in our industry but the the frosted cookies would certainly be a bonus.

Similar Messages:

Must Read Article
Apr 10, 2014

I had to share this with each and every transcriptionist out there.  It is always darkest before the dawn.          ...

A Must-read Article!
Mar 25, 2015

Just saw this article posted in Nuance board.  MTs need to stop working for companies who do not value them!!!  We all know what companies this article and I are talking about! ...

Must Read Article On EHR
May 07, 2015

. ...

Everyone Should Read The ADHI Article On The
Mar 04, 2011

Advance for HIM website regarding credntialing for all MTs.  ...

Very Interesting Article To Read.
Mar 11, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1226934/Indian-police-arrest-company-boss-accused-selling-medical-records-British-patients.html ...

Read An Article About Mmodal
May 26, 2014

When you ask, they swear they are not headed to India, but they went from 1 to 5 or 6 offices in different parts of India and they are downsizing in the US.  The article stated: The company, which provides a service that allows doctors to speak into a software system to have their medical notes transcribed in India, is probably heading toward some kind of restructuring, the source said. Read more: MModal appears headed for a restructuring - The Deal Pipeline (SAMPLE CONTENT: NEED AN ...

All I Want For MT Week Is For MQ Management To Read And Apply This Article
May 17, 2010

This job could be SO much better. :( ...

Winston-Salem Journal Article Re Transcend Lawsuit - Read All The Way To The End
May 18, 2012

of this article as it appears it has been removed from the Journal's website. Would like to read it. ...

For Entertainment Purposes, I Checked FIESA
Jun 30, 2012

Lots of messages about time stamping my blanks.  Uh, sorry no can do.  If I realize towards the end of the report I have more than allowed blanks, then I have to RELISTEN to the report in order to get the time stamps. If I go ahead and time stamp 1 or 2 blanks and that's it, then I have to go back and erase all the time stamps so they don't show up in the report. So, therefore, I am not time stamping my blanks.  Time stamp this. ...

How Would You Feel About Organizing A Strike?
Apr 18, 2010

So, I know that there are a lot of issues from all sides of the MT industry and that a lot of people are unhappy.  I know that there are many happy MTs out there, but I think that those MTs may be newbies (and don't really know the difference of how it used to be to now) or are one the lucky few that work for some of the great companies out there, or possibly work in-house.  IMHO there should be NO reason to send our work out of the country, especially with delicate med ...

Instead Of Doing Complicated Thing As Organizing A Whole
Jan 29, 2011

first do something simple, like learing how you get paid, what you are and are not paid for. Most seem not even able or willing to do that. How does any expect them to come together for the good of the profession when they cant even take the time and trouble to manage their own finances. ...

Virtual Hug
May 19, 2015

Just gave my 2-week notice.  After working for this company for 18 years, first as full-time then dropping to part-time, I just can't do it anymore.  They took a job I absolutely loved doing and turned it into the most stressful, underpaid job I have ever had. I have read this board many, many times through the years and have laughed and cried.  This company is corporate greed at its best (worst?).  So, to all my "virtual friends" out there, thank you for listening ...

Virtual Machine
Apr 26, 2012

Has anyone used a virtual machine? My PC turned out to have an incompable operating system, so they are sending a virtual machine. I understand I will only be using their virtual machine to do the transcription. I am wondering I can still use my PC to research online while working, since I will probably be using the Internet connection on the virtual machine, right? ...

Virtual Scribes
Apr 02, 2014

I ran across a company offering virtual scribes. Their scribes sound like a cross between transcriptionist, coding, assistant. It is done over the internet. The company I ran across is Physicians Angels. I could not find any career page to check out possible positions/requirements, and I don't know if it is done by ILPs, although their office is in the states. Anyone heard of virtual scribes and know of other companies that do this? Always looking for a way to break away from ...

PAY FOR VIRTUAL SCRIBES
Jun 12, 2015

My question is this...if you were working as a virtual scribe (via hipaa compliant video) from home what would you expect the pay per patient to be? Not hourly, just per patient that you documented and turned in to your supervisor at end of day...keep in mind you'd probably be on video about 4 hours a day. I'm really interested to see the responses to this question. ...

Virtual Learning Center
Jan 08, 2010

I am another victim of Virtual Learning Center.  Can anyone recommend a reputable on-line MT school? ...

HELP! XP Virtual Machine In Windows 7.
May 09, 2011

My computer crashed. I bought a new computer that has Windows 7. The hospital I work for uses a Cisco VPN client that will not work with Windows 7. I bought the Windows 7 professional upgrade and set up the XP virtual system. Now everything works except my foot pedal (Infinity IN-DVIUSB). It seems this it is not truly a USB device but is a HIB device. I am going crazy without a foot pedal. Has anyone else gone through this? Is there a pedal that works with XP virtual machine? I tried t ...

Virtual Learning Center Info Inisde.
Jan 09, 2010

I know nothing about VLC except for the posts I've seen here recently.  When I was on another site this morning about homeworkers, I saw this link about VLC closing as of 12/31 due to the death the owner from lung cancer.  Here is a link.   I have no idea how reliable any of this info is, but I thought it might help some VLC students.   http://www.homeworkers.org/about.html ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

What In The World Is A 65-character "virtual" Line With Spaces?
Oct 24, 2009

I saw an ad on a board for a company that pays this way.  I've never heard of a virtual line.  Does anyone know what this is and how is compared to a regular 65-character line? ...