A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT Week / Take A Union Break - Monday - Bettie_Bgood

Posted: May 15, 2011

Since apparently we MTs aren't ready to go on strike en masse - and some are deadset against it - how about this Monday, for MT Week, Take A Union Break, and watch an informative video, which talks about people getting fired for union organizing: Just Google: Mike Elk Video Stop Unionbusting Interestingly, it's two men talking: Would the video come across differently, if two women were talking about union busting? How about union busting as it affects telecommuters and other at-home employees, rather than Boeing workers, which I am going to guess, does not have a majority-female workforce... Wonder if the best strategy to take with unionizing MTs, is to identify if any MTSOs have federal contracts? Do university health systems receive any federal funding? Stay tuned for Tuesday's Take A Union Break installment. *I did post this on Main Board instead of politics, because it's an alternative activity for MT Week - besides the company-sponsored activities*

Reply to MT Week-Union Break - CMB

[ In Reply To ..]
In my opinion, unions of today do more harm than good, regradless of what industry they are involved in. MT unionization will only cause more offshoring.

MT week and unions - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that unionization will only cause more offshoring and/or automated programs to be invented/developed. Also, for every one of us who attempts to start a union and loses his/her job as a result, there will be at least 2 more MTs waiting in the wings to be hired.

A few years back, I used to be upset when it was MT week and my employer would say nothing. Now, it is simply the exact behavior that I expect from them. However, if it is my day off and they beg for MTs to "log in and help clear reports", I just may not be so willing and quick to comply, especially this week.

Yes, I appreciate my job, and I understand the ramifications of my current attitude and actions. But, again, we teach them how to treat us. I am not starting a union, but I am definitely going to start setting some limits.

It is illegal to fire an employee attempting - to start a union. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
company doesn't have to have a reason to let you go - justaworker
[ In Reply To ..]
shocking but true, they do NOT have to have a reason to let you go anymore. most companies have in place a certain process to get rid of you based on performance, but they can fire at will if they want to.
Reason to be let go - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Justaworker, that is true and it is not just the MTSOs. Most job applications these days have a clause explaining that it is "at will" employment and you agree to that by signing the job application. Most companies don't want troublemakers on their team, even if you do a good job. "Taking a union break" and not showing up for work or not working if you are at home and scheduled to work would be grounds for dismissal, people have been fired for a lot less than that. I'd expect to be terminated if I didn't show up for work but maybe that is what those of you taking a union break want.

Please be specific - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
HOW exactly would a union make things worse for us than they are now? HOW are they doing harm? I see a lot of statements like this being made, but no one is offering any explanation.

OR - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
please tell us how they'd help. Tell us how they would raise wages over and above what the MT would be paying TO the union out of their pocket (whether they belong to the union or not). Tell us how they are going to FORCE our employers and clients to pay us more than the market bears. Please tell us how suddenly dictators will be easier to do or less demanding.

Actually, you don't have to tell us all that stuff because the answer is short and simple- it won't.
And STILL.. - no one answers the question. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Good video! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
2-1/2 hours into my shift, and I've earned approximately a whopping $2.30 (had 2 reports to type so far today).

Happy MT week! :-)

Union - onceinunion

[ In Reply To ..]
A union is going to demand higher wages and better benefits. Period. Why else would you want one? This is going to force MTSO's who are already having a difficult time staying in business to either go out of business or do something else. I just do not see a union forming in this industry. I have thought about it extensively. To begin a union anyway, it would need to be under an already established and powerful union, otherwise, it would carry no weight and no bargaining power.

Strike en masse - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Just how would we do that? Some of us work at home, some of us work on site, we all have different employers. I have an on site job. If I went "on strike" it would mean a strike against my employer, and I have no reason to do that. If I walked off the job, I know they'd tell me to pack my stuff and not come back. Medquist MTs would have to walk out on Medquist and that goes for all the other companies out there. Come up with something tangible and more organized and perhaps you would get some backing from your fellow transcriptionists. A union for MTs guarantees nothing. Outsourcing and offshoring is still going to happen, even on site MTs who thought the union would protect their jobs have experienced this. Voice recognition is here to stay, the unions can't stop that. Please state what it is that you think you will accomplish by walking out of your job. What do federal contracts have to do with anything?

Why a union won't work - been in one

[ In Reply To ..]
I have tried to explain this before but to no avail so I will try once again.
How do you think a union is going to work for MT's? Unions represent different groups of employees. Sure everyone might belong to the IBEW (international brotherhood of electrical workers) but wages and state licensening vary from State to State ie: a licensed journeyman electrician in California cannot work in Texas without getting licensed in Texas. What that same electrician made in wages in California is different than the journeyman's wages in Texas. Are you following me?

So MT's in general are IC's or employees, the IC's are free to charge what they want to charge per report either by the line, by the dictation minutes or by the report. An MTSO will pay so much per line, not by the hour or by the report and then they pay different for straight transcription vs VR. One MTSO pays better than another MTSO, has different benefits, etc.

We have so many variables in our occupation that it will be impossible for a union to negotiate wages for us or benefits. We are a breed all our own. We can't walk out en masse on one MTSO or one hospital and have it effect an IC, another MTSO or another hospital.

Telling everyone to walk out one day to show them we are not going to take the low wages anymore will never work. You will always find the people in our group that say, "I need the money, I can't afford not to get paid for the day", "I am the only wage earner in my household and I can't risk losing my job". One specific entity has the ability to put peer pressure on our co-workers and make life miserable for them if they cross a picket line, we can't do that because we have no way of knowing who is working and who isn't. So we have no power to take a vote and make a stand that says pay us so much or we walk.

I have been an MT in a union hospital and trust me when I say, it isn't going to save our jobs when VR comes in and they decide they no longer need us and it isn't going to work when we are spread out all over the country working in different for hundreds of different employers.

One more thing, unions are not only for wages, they are for representation so when you get nailed for something and they want to write you up, how is that going to happen? In a union setting you have a right to a union representative (shop steward) present during your counseling, how will that work when the MTSO you work for is 5 states away from you, who are going to be the shop stewards and how are they supposed end up with you and management in a room for a face to face verbal warning or a formal write-up?

How about - me

[ In Reply To ..]
a class action law suit ??
union - onceaunion
[ In Reply To ..]
In this economy, with gas and food prices rising by the day, damanding representation and higher wages or filing a class action law suit is the last thing from my mind. I want to simply hang onto my home and be grateful for living in a peaceful country.

Turn on the news. If you have a roof over your head, a job and your government isn't knocking on your door and taking you off in the middle of the night, you are actually doing pretty darn good.
Class action suit - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Against who and on what grounds? Can you afford to hire an attorney? If you can, your pay must not be as bad as want all of us to think it is.
Class Action Lawsuit? - been in one
[ In Reply To ..]
On what grounds would you file a class action lawsuit and who would you file it against? No one is forcing you to work for a company you are not happy with. You can leave and try another company, try to get your own accounts, work as an IC. No one is holding you hostage. An employer can pay what he wants to pay as long as it meets the minimum wage standard, if a person is not productive enough to meet that wage standard the company will more than likely fire you anyway.

Don't get me wrong, what has happened to this career stinks, it is wrong on so many levels BUT we can't sue them and make them change the way they practice business. I think our biggest hope was/is getting the information out to the general public that their medical records are going to 3rd world countries with ample opportunity for identity theft as well serious medical mistakes.

Similar Messages:

MT Week / Tuesday / Take A Union Break
May 16, 2011

Suggested Activity: Keep Track of Your Donations I've heard time and again the complaint that MTs are expected to do work for which they are NOT being compensated. Well, there's a name for that – it's called "a donation." Starting today, keep track of the donations you make as an MT to your company – you can even print up a form, so you can keep track for an entire month – is it the header you don't get paid for? What exactly are the items in the header you ...

MT Week / Wednesday / Take A Union Break
May 18, 2011

Suggested Activity: Check out this union that actually worksâ€Â¦and send greetings! All you need to do is Google: Hospital Workers, Facing Layoffs, Launch Counterattack On Executives The union involved is National Union of Healthcare Workersâ€Â¦and guess what – when they were asked to make big concessions, they said no – and pointed out how much money the hospital bigwigs were getting – why not start with cutting THEIR pay, instead of asking the average worker to embrace painf ...

We Need A Union
Jan 18, 2013

nm ...

What A Union Could've Done For MTs
Jan 07, 2014

I kinda liked the big o' tire! http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/goodyear-france/index.html ...

UNION
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone done research on clerical or MT unions? Any organizers or organizations you can suggest?  An internet search didn't yield anything, but I sent an email to a "service" union (closest I could find), haven't heard back.  All this industry has ever done is decrease pay under the guise of making compensation competitive, which is to say "If you'll work for X company for that little, we'll lower our pay too."  This job and the pride that came with it is a ...

MTs Can't Get A Union Going But Medical Pot
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Some Of You People Below Need A Union
Apr 19, 2011

Rather than turning against each other as some of you are starting to do below, it would be really great if you had a union, one  that worked to make sure you are treated fairly and rules aren't changed that make it harder for you to do your work and make a living. ...

Formation Of A Union
Sep 11, 2012

Is anyone really interested?  I have started doing some research, and starting a union is not as far-fetched as we think.  We would need 30% of the employees to sign up for it.  Check out Office and Professional Employees International Union.  They might be able to help us.  http://www.opeiu.org/ ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

Does Anyone Belong To A Union?
Sep 03, 2014

I am just wondering if anyone out there belongs to a union like SEIU? I know they mainly represent nurses and home health aides, etc., but I wonder if you joined it would that be of any benefit, would they be able to help with our working conditions, would you be able to elect their benefits rather than the MTSO ones? I am not interested in AHDI because basically it seems to provide absolutely NO job security or protection, no benefits to joining, and in fact your reward for obtaining their cer ...

Need To Start A Union
Oct 23, 2014

OK transcriptionists.......We are all in the same boat that seems to be sinking.  I am throwing everyone a life preserver.  I know I can offer the doctors out there an easy way to dictate that is "clear, understandable, personable" (with transcriptionists assigned to their own personalized physicians).  This is the way I have done this for 20 years.  It worked great.  I have a connection that will integrate transcription into the EMR that they are using.  When I spo ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Do You Support Thoughts Of A Union?
Aug 23, 2010

If you do, what are your thoughts on CMT? In reading the thread going on right now, I see MTs saying it's worthless, it's a rip-off, etc.  But what do you think a union would really do? Any PROFESSIONAL organization SHOULD have standards and should have a MINIMUM certification.  Like it or not, AHDI is OUR organization and the CMT is what is being pushed as the MINIMUM standard.  Credentials do NOT guarantee higher pay.  They say you have met the minimum standards ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

Union For Medical Transcriptionists
Jul 11, 2011

I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but yet nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge - if someone knows different, please correct me). I am in agreement that we as transcriptionists need to band together so that we don't get treated unfairly and not paid what we are actually worth. I know there are many of us that have chosen medical transcription as our career and are still holding on and sticking through the changes. How do you go about creating a union for transcriptio ...

Medical Transcription Union
Oct 03, 2012

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately and I am just wondering, does anybody have any idea what we, MTs, would have to do to get a union started?  I have read the posts below about how much the big wigs in our company are making and how I have been working in this business for quite some time and instead of making more, I am making less.  I have never had a raise, but to get another job making maybe half a cent a line more than what I was making, only to lose that little incr ...

I Am On Board For The Union And Thank You For Getting The Info
Oct 05, 2012

What about India?  I have always been under the impression that we are a minority in this company, we being US MTs.  Won't Nuance just send all the work to India and be done with us?  I wonder if joining/forming a union would protect us from that... Just wanted to get discussion going about this.  Of course, they are sending the work overseas because it is cost-effective, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think we are in the very small minority and most of the work is done ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

How Often Do You Take A Break?
Jul 18, 2010

I was just curious how often you get up to stretch your muscles and move around, etc.  I am trying to every hour or so take a 5 minute break or my muscles in my upper back and neck start to ache.     ...

What Happens When You Break A Job?
Jan 10, 2011

x ...

We Desperately Need A UNION! I've Thought It For Years. SM
Mar 15, 2010

I was reading the posts below from the complainers complaining about the complainers, and I cannot believe there are so many deluded and ignorant MTs out there who believe that 3 cpl for VR and 8 cpl for transcription is a fair wage --- NO, not just a fair wage, they actually think it's something to sing about! When I started in this profession over 20 years ago, medical transcriptionists were a well respected part of the HIM team.  I earned $13 per hour back in the late 1980s!  ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

USING THE BREAK FUNCTION
Nov 10, 2009

Have you ever used the break function simply because you had a dictator that was so horrible that you got frustrated and sent it back?  I know that we are not supposed to do this and that MQ supposedly keeps track of how many breaks we use but I have to admit I have done this no occasion.  I had a report so bad a couple of weeks ago which was over 1000 seconds long and an ESL doctor, not to mention scratchy sound, etc.  About halfway through this thing I had already spent nearly 2 ...

CMT= +0.005 CPL, Or 55,000 Lines To Break Even
Mar 25, 2010

It was 275- for the exam when I took it, valid for 3 yrs. It took 2.5 hrs of my life, plus driving time to the big city. Worth it?  Maybe for job hunting. ...

Summer Break
May 28, 2010

How do other mothers deal with summer break when their kids are out of school as far as working for a company?  Do some companies let you have summers off and then return in the fall?  Do some MTs change their schedules around possibly doing work at night, etc?  Any companies better about this than others? ...

Please Give Us A Break..........
Jul 15, 2010

How many Medical Transcriptionist right now feel like they are being discriminated against because of your lack of experience?  Why are Medical Transcription companies only looking to hire experienced Medical Transcriptionist in a certain field?   Don't they realize the resources that are out there now, that can give someone the opportunity to grow in this field.  Right now there are so many people out of work and struggling to get a job and have little to no ...