A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Webmedx presents award to providers for front-end speech implementation - longtimemt

Posted: Sep 17, 2010

This article was from July, I just found it. It may have been addressed back then, and if so I missed it. Here is one part of the article:

"Currently in use at several Webmedx customer sites, the ability for physicians to capture documentation using front-end voice recognition and then self-edit their work reduces costs by 60% for every transcribed report."

This is the link to the article: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/press-release/webmedx-presents-award-providers-front-end-speech-implementation

Yes, I saw it. WMX and others are trying to offer both - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
front- and back-end solutions, and combinations of both, in the belief that no one approach, currently available at least, will prevail in the market.

help - mtme

[ In Reply To ..]
what is front-end and back-end

Front-end = doctors do it themselves, no MTs. - Back-end = MTs edit. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
Front-end = not good for MT's job stability.

Front-end also means report available for use immediately-- - Poppy

[ In Reply To ..]
-after the dictator makes corrections and finalizes. Thus a big advantage and a big disadvantage.

Back-end means serious delay in report availability while we edit, but physicians turned loose to go do doctor instead of clerical work; also, on average a higher-quality report is produced. Big disadvantage, followed by big advantage, PLUS big disadvantage of costs for editing.
Not necessarily... - Webber
[ In Reply To ..]
With WMX's insistence on overhiring, there is very little work to go around and many ISR reports are returned within minutes of being received by an MT. They could probably be transcribed just as fast and be in the client's hands just as quickly. I would bet that an MT can edit those speech reports much faster than a dictator could since we are used to editing and have many shortcuts, macros, etc., that the doctors do not. A doctor's time is much more valuable when it is utilized to see patients rather than edit or type reports. I don't know why they can't see that. In my opinion, WMX should be justifying our service to the hospitals and stressing the quality and time savings for the dictators that they get from our service. The money that they could make by seeing more patients would more than make up for money spent on transcription. I don't think they are helping anyone with this front-end speech solution.
Front-end fast & growing by utilizing scribes - Beware of the Scribes!
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually front-end will benefit the many physicians, health care companies now implementing "Scribes" to handle dictation, fast and growing field
Serious doubts about future of scribes. It's just incredibly inefficient, - Pragmatist
[ In Reply To ..]
and with costs of maintaining even low-pay employees so high...no. Also, young physicians just aren't as resistant to keyboarding as those nearing retirement.

Front-end also means that the physicans can choose to... - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
...send the report on to the MT for final editing.

I didn't realize they had that option when they see a mess! - Poppy

[ In Reply To ..]
A mixed system that allows clinicians to do what works best for them and still saves report time and processing money is probably what we're going to be seeing.

Webber, true now and then, but far from consistently. We'd all be sitting on our hands all day if a 1-minute turnaround was normal, and McDonalds would truly be a step up the economic ladder. :)

LongTimeMT, I always get a little clutch when I see this stuff too. Deep breath, positive thoughts, life's an adventure, challenge keeps you growing, uncertainty keeps you on your toes, and no matter what I'll always be working at something...oh, wait.... :)
agree with poppy - longtimemt
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes,my account that is doing this has the option of the physician kicking it back to us. And surprise, when we get these reports, the docs are not entering in any demographic data, names, etc....a huge headache and losing money for those of us who try to figure these out!

And...education is always a good thing :) I enjoy learning so I have tried to keep up with education and this is a challenge, might lead to a position I enjoy more! In the meantime, this position is allowing me to survive while still taking some classes part time :)

front-end speech - longtimemt

[ In Reply To ..]
I posted this without comment to see what others thought. From a business perspective and with the current globalization, I CAN understand that this is probably necessary for any company that wants to be competitive. However, purely from a selfish reason of protecting my job, it just caused a big "oh-oh" on my part...I am trying to find another profession and taking some classes part time now.

It may save money in the short term but... - oldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
in the long run it may actually cost more due to medical mistakes caused by widespread degradation of the quality of the records.

As any MT can tell you, many providers are not conscientious about documenting their work. Many others are only minimally proficient in English, although most ESLs are no doubt more proficient at reading and writing than they are at speaking English.

At my last doctor's appointment I saw a new family practice MD, a young guy who struck me as highly competent and conscientious. He asked what I did and a short discussion of dictation/transcription ensued. He said he personally much preferred doing dictations because it was much faster for him than pecking around on the keyboard during and after his appointments. He had, however, been using VR and EMR point-and-click systems for some time.

I asked him if he had noticed any degradation of the records with the new systems. Without hesitation he said yes, it was noticeable. He said that some of the younger residents are even doing their documentation in something like cell phone texting language, using lots of abbreviations and such in place of words, and that in some cases the records are difficult to read/confusing.

Similar Messages:

New To Webmedx And Speech Rec For That!
Nov 01, 2011

Ok very new to WBX and speech rec and not sure what to think!   How long did it take others to get accustomed to their platform and editing VR? I could transcribe at least 200+ lph at my previous job via straight transcription, but my highest since working here has only been 100 ughhhh! I'm so unsure of this!  Guess I'm looking for encouragement that it will get better and/or easier!!  Any tips?  I just downloaded the free trial of IT7 and am h ...

Webmedx Speech Recognition Program
Jan 13, 2011

N ...

Do You Think The Providers/clients Know?
May 17, 2011

I mean, I'm an IC, or whatever I'm called now since I'm doing VR.....there has been talk around the company that perhaps the providers don't even know their documents have been moved to VR.  In reality, I think that this might ring true!  Some of us have quit for ethical reasons, and I can say for certain my VR isn't getting any better with the ahhs and ands and everything else that seems to be in the dication that shouldn't be.  After all, the VR doe ...

Who Are The Insurance Providers?
Mar 14, 2012

I am particularly interested in the dental and vision providers, as this may impact whether I utilize my current coverage this spring or wait until the other comes into play.  No answers forthcoming regarding merger yet.  Thanks. ...

Satellite Providers
Nov 06, 2014

I posted this on the main board and no one replied, so I figured maybe it should have been posted here on the Tech Help. I currently use Starband, an older satellite provider. Where I live no DSL, cable or cell phone signal. Starband just raised my monthly rate, so I am looking into switching. I have Dish TV and see that they have internet satellite, but I don't know anyone who has this. I have been doing transcription from home for 18 years and have used Starband since then. I was wonderi ...

Providers Editing Their Own Reports
Jan 03, 2015

Providers editing their own reports, yea. Go back through and look at your old reports and see if the blanks are filled in. About 85% are not filled in. Many providers are salaried employees of the institution. When they stop seeing 1-2 patients per day to edit and/or type their reports, it will take awhile 2-3 years I suspect at the least, for the bean counters to figure out why their salaried employees are seeing fewer patients, generating less income. Then somebody will come up with the no ...

Implementation Of 6.1
Sep 09, 2010

Now that they have implemented the wonderful 6.1 and its going to be so great, I smell another pay cut coming.  ...

Something That I Have Been Wondering About - Especially With The Implementation Of VR
Jul 19, 2013

Something that I have been wondering about and thinking about others in this profession.  I was born wtih cerebral palsy.  While I am able to walk, although with a prounced limp, this conditiion affects the whole side of my body.  I have always been able to "type," however, with the implementation of VR, and companies such as Nuance, MModal and other companies wanting MTs to keep their hands on the keyboard and not use the mouse as much as possible, I am really running into "probl ...

How Long After Implementation Of ICD-10 Will ICD-9 Not Be Used?
Mar 24, 2014

I know as of October 1st, facilities will be using ICD-10, and I have also noticed schools are still training in ICD-9, so my question is will both still be used in coding?  And, if so, for how long?  Isn't it supposed to be strictly ICD-10 after October 1?  How much harder is ICD-10 than ICD-9?  Thank you for your time in responding.  ...

Layoffs After EPIC Implementation
Jun 05, 2014

Has anyone worked where EPIC has been implemented?  Did transcription work pick up after initial drop off or were there layoffs? ...

EPIC Implementation And Voice Recognition
Dec 25, 2011

I desperately need info if anyone can please help. I am pretty sure I will be losing my job of 10 years in a couple of months. The hospitals I have been working for are going to what is called EPIC implementation. Also, the physicians will be transitioning to voice recognition software. I have been searching, and as far as I can understand, the EPIC is in regards to a paperless medical record. I am wondering if the voice recognition is part of that agenda. Does anyone have any further info on th ...

Should I Wait To Go To Coding School For Implementation Of ICD-10?
Dec 28, 2011

Am a current Mt looking to get into coding, specifically looking at Andrews.  I am not familiar with coding at all, so this may be a dumb question to those familiar with it - but here goes! Would it make more sense to wait until the implementation of ICD-10 to invest in the courses or is this a mute point pretty much?  In other words, would it be easier to "transition" from 9 to 10 or start fresh with 10?  Hope this makes sense and TIA for any input.   ...

$10 Spot Award
Oct 15, 2012

Hahahahaha ...

Spot Award?
Aug 09, 2013

My last check showed that I had a taxable prize of 13.00.  I have yet to receive it in the mail.  How long does it take to get it, for those of you that have in the past?  I guess 10 bucks is 10 bucks.  ...

Really? Another Award Program
Jun 03, 2015

Got news for you, whoever is running this God forsaken company..Employess respond to decent pay, decent treatment, and fair practices...NOT a bone dangled in front of them..I, for one, find this crap VERY insulting and juvenile at best. ...

Fem-fem Bypass Patient Presents With "ABIs"
Jan 28, 2010

x ...

MQ Receives Distinguished Award From
Aug 13, 2010

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-receives-distinguished-service-award-at-ahdi-2010-convention-100572549.html ...

Interesting Award??--NEMT
Aug 09, 2012

My friend who is attending the AHDI conference in Indianapolis just texted me that the company we are ICs for (New England Medical Transcription) was awarded the Employer of the Year.  Now isn't that strange--we're all ICs and the only "employees" are management!  They use ICs illegally and get awarded for it! And here we sit on NJA all the time.    Must have been hard up for nominees is all I can say.  ...

Worst Doctor Award
Jun 28, 2013

Now I've heard it all. Patient is 53 yo female, lives alone in a mobile home. Sprained both ankles, unable to bear weight on either ankle. No family/friends to take care of her as they work or in school. Asks if she can go to an assisted living until she is able to bear weight. Doctor tells her to..... get this....  just crawl around her mobile home if she needs to get around. Fifteen years of doing this and I'm so pissed off right now that I feel like writing him a let ...

GEM Award?? Really? I Cant Think Of A Single PC TSA Or HDSM
May 18, 2015

puh-lease!!!  ...

MQ Deserves An Award For Creative Naming
Mar 18, 2010

for coming up with cutesy names like "First Time Right" for "we'd really like to get rid of QA" and things like that. ...

On Any Front
Nov 10, 2013

Here's my observation for a Sunday for what that's worth   No matter what aspect of Nuance you work in, be it MLS OR QC, you are never good enough, never fast enough, never perfect enough, you are not the mind reader they had hoped they had hired.   If you pore over a job to leave fewer blanks, you are too slow. If you try to meet production, you leave too many blanks.  Oh, and don't try to point out errors on the account specifics cuz chances are they will never g ...

What Does The R Stand For In Front Of The Job #?
Mar 16, 2011

Hi - Had 2 transcriptions from a new hospital, and both had an R encased in a box in front of the internal job number.  Anyone know what this means? TIA ...

Front Sac Capsule?
Aug 02, 2011

Contrast material was injected to distend the front sac capsule for provocation.   Is FRONT SAC right?   ...

Doctors And Front End SR
Apr 27, 2014

Hospital where I worked before being outsourced kept a friend of mine on for QA. Now they don't outsource at all. Using a program like Dragon and the doctor dictating has to edit his own report. And QA is auditing the doctors! If the report is not accurate, the doctor is written up. No more blaming the MT for their mistake. ...

Front And Center-it Seems The LM People Who Got Their Pay Cut
Aug 17, 2010

are the lucky ones.  (see below threads)  I have received emails of many being just laid off without warning and MAYBE a week's notice.  Take this as a warning people!  We work at home and don't know what is going on until it is too late-except for MT STARS.  GET IT? ...

Any News Yet On The Coding Front?
Mar 19, 2014

or maybe not so patiently :-) ...

DSS Voice File With A $ Sign In Front Of It?
Jul 29, 2011

I agreed to do some work in coverage for someone and the doctor sent files directly.  He uses an Olympus recorder that uploads on AS-4000 Pro Player platform.  Once uploaded, it sends each voice file out by encrypted email.  So I got the .dss file but it comes as .$dss In addition to the voice file, there is an .html file that contains the header information for the recording.  I downloaded the DSS Lite Player, but it doesn't recognize the file.  Before I start d ...

Synergy - Another Indian Front Company
Apr 28, 2012

When reading their website.  Little grasp of English grammar.  Misspelled words.  Typical foreign adjectives.  Bah! ...

Silent Type - Having To Pay Up Front To Train In Jersey!
Jul 08, 2011

Thanks for letting me know about having to pay up front to train in Jersey! I wouldn't even do that if we had the money when you don't know how awful of an account you may get or horrible platform. I was just getting ready to test. Thanks for the info! ...