A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Regarding Epic system. How will the EMRs do regarding OR reports. Will that go to Epic or will the - PAMT

Posted: Dec 20, 2011

speech or straight transcription.  Just wondering about that and DS, Consults, etc.

My brief experience - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for ExecuScribe last year and their biggest account went to EPIC. The op notes were not scheduled to be one of the first to go, but apparently the hospital found it so easy, they moved those onto the system much faster than anyone expected.

I don't have a huge experience with op notes, but the ones that I have done have an awful lot of canned text from the docs, so I expect that they would do pretty well with EPIC, unfortunately for us.

I don't know how consults and discharge summaries can be done on EPIC. Some of it, like the past medical history, allergies, etc., yeah, I can totally see that, but not the HPI or Assessment narrative. I would get these 50 minute long consults from the residents. I just don't see how that translates to a drop down menu. It did, though, because my department (Oncology) was one of the first ones to go on the system.

I did have a comment from someone at another job, though, who said they had lost some accounts to EPIC and a couple of years later they came back to the same company and were going back to a dictated narrative.

OP notes did not go to Epic in my hospital sm - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
neither did cardiology. Everything else did. Epic pulls in much of the data from the electronic record and doctors use point and click for the rest. What is dictated is only partial dictations, oftentimes just a sentence or two. Greatly eliminates the need for many MTs.

Epic - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Transcription dropped to almost nil. They dictate maybe a paragraph, everything imports, including mistakes. A real mess.

EPIC procedures. - ourfuture

[ In Reply To ..]
Procedures that record what is being done via imaging or camera are plugged into a template. Caths and "oscopies" disappear from transcription. No need. EPIC provides a summary complete with imaging pics to demonstrate what was seen. Any procedure that is can be reduced to a template becomes a template. If dictation is done at all, it is just to relate history and sometimes impression and plan. All else is pulled from the database. It is genuinely ingenious and cutting dictation by around 50% to 60%. It won't completely replace us as yet, but it is well on its way.

Surgeries that cannot be reduced to a template are still dictated.

Thanks, guys, for experienced observations. From - someone with experience in liability

[ In Reply To ..]
insurance, torts, lawsuits, etc., I'm certain these uncorrected mistakes going into medical records now are live bombs ready to go off. Facilities have to know this, but saving money is presumably a more pressing priority, with the other a problem for a future that will come.

Thus, I am also quite certain that, one way or another, the review-and-correct process will have to be restored to medical records. Whether by physicians spending an hour a day at it, or someone else.

Before then, though, probably many more providers will switch to a process that attempts to minimize this problem by eliminating narrative. That will also severely negatively impact patient care, with resultant correction back to at least some narrative. At least for acute care.

If I were younger, or even lived in the city, though, I would not dream of trying to wait all this out. It's going to be a bumpy ride...

My NP told me this.. - DZ

[ In Reply To ..]
She said she was having a hard time with Epic and she asked one of her coworkers why he thought it was so great. He said he thought it was initially, but now not so and he does what is required of him in Epic and he dictates as much as he can. I think the young physicians up and coming who are brought up on technical stuff will have no problem with it; the older a physician is (and if not tech savvy) the harder it will be. My company (not MTSO owned) is transitioning to Epic. So far we don't see a lot of decrease in volume, some, but not a lot. The doctors can't even put in the correct facility code (makes us responsible for that) so how in the world will they make sure they are putting in the correct stuff by a click of a button, cutting and pasting. While the bottom line is saving $$, I wonder if this will come back to bite some in the behind at first. Unless a company makes it mandatory that a physician dictate a certain percentage of his/her dictation in Epic (or rather do it in Epic) I wonder how much will really be done. It's great in one aspect: A person can be seen at multiple facilities (clinics, hospitals) that are all one company and that physician will have access to all of the patient's records. Time will tell.

The TRUTH About Epic - Seeker

[ In Reply To ..]
From a cardiology resident's perspective.

This is rreaking hilarious! But scary at the same time.

Similar Messages:

As Far As Epic Goes, What Will Happen To OR Reports On Epic. Will
Aug 02, 2012

that also do away with MTs doing OR reports which is about all I really do. ...

For Anyone That Works On EMRs Or Epic, Do You Still Continue
Aug 14, 2012

to work in your regular platform such as DQS or do you have to download an entirely new system to work in a hospital EMR.  My hospital is on DQS and going to EMR or Epic so I am not sure if that means all my short cuts etc are gone or we continue somehow to use both systems.  I doubt you can use short cuts in EMR but again I have no idea and I dont think you can move your short cuts out of DQS to another system and again I dont know.  Seems like I dont know much this morning at al ...

Does Anyone Who Works On Epic Find That Once A Facility Goes To Epic You Have Some Work Left To
Sep 05, 2012

continue to do.  ...

EPIC System
Mar 01, 2012

So who has been affected by Epic out of Madison, WI?  It took away a lot of our work at the clinic.   ...

Does Anyone At MQ Work On The Epic System Yet And Have
Aug 04, 2012

any feedback on how that is working on the DQS system. ...

Do Some Of The Hospitals That Use DQS Also Use Epic Or Will Epic Replace
Aug 08, 2012

DQS completely and the hospital will drop MQ.  Just curious about that.  It seems Epic is the way to go and was not sure if that can be interspersed with DQS or eliminate MQ altogether with DQS.  ...

What Is Epic
Jan 29, 2010

Please see my post below.  I was afraid it would get lost, and really would like to know what kind of threat Epic is to us.  I've lost one account to them, and now possibly another. ...

EMR, Epic, Etc.
Dec 12, 2011

With the hospitalis going to EMR, they are being forced to by the government is what was explained to me, i.e. Epic. So then my taxes are being used to put me out of business. ...

EPIC And MT
Jun 06, 2012

Nuance is certainly the reason for my cut in pay to the toon of around $700.00 a month!  However, how does everyone feel about EPIC further taking over our jobs by 2014?? ...

What Is Epic?
Feb 01, 2014

x ...

EPIC Replacing Us
Feb 04, 2010

Here is an interesting site for information on EPIC and the MT:  http://www.healthinformaticsforum.com/forum/topics/2068976:Topic:7668 ...

Epic Transcription
Sep 10, 2010

Epic - Anybody using Epic transcription?  Hospital I work for is switching to Epic.  MT's will still transcribe radiology reports.  Would like to know what the system is like for transcription.  Can you make your own macros?  Can you use a word expander.  It is complicated? ...

Epic/Editscript
Dec 04, 2011

The hospital I work for changed over the Editscript last year.  Changeover went relatively smoothly, and we still had plenty of work to keep all the transcriptionists busy (after we stopped outsourcing the overflow we used to have).  Recently, the hospital switched to Epic electronic medical record system, and within a week the transcription workload plumeted to probably 40% of our former workload --not enough to keep our transcription staff busy.  It seems the doctors/nurses/etc ...

EPIC Is The Beginning Of The End...
Dec 20, 2011

Work for a MTSO who had more than we could do, EPIC on board and now are fightly over the few scraps... in a matter of weeks, things can change FAST... Time to dust off the resume.. for what it's worth.   ...

More About Epic. Have The Surgicenters Gone To
Dec 21, 2011

using Epic yet.  Gee, doesnt sound promising for us in the near future does it.  I work for a surgicenter and so far it is all straight transcription and not VR yet even.  There are a tremendous amount of very difficult ESLs on this account. ...

Epic And Coding
Dec 21, 2011

With so much talk about Epic taking away MT jobs, do you think it will do the same with coding?  Maybe not just Epic but technology advances will affect coding down the road, yes or no?  So worried I just wasted a year of my life studying coding and it may not be a stable career. ...

Life After Epic
Oct 19, 2012

Hi all, The hospital I work for will start using Epic next year.  From everything I have read, I understand that transcription will most likely be cut in half.  For those of you have gone through this already, have you seen any other jobs created AFTER Epic?  I know there may be editing, but should we expect anything else?   ...

Epic Radiant
May 09, 2013

Has / does anyone work on Epic Radiant platform?  Could you please give the the ups and downs of this platform.  I need to make a quick decision about a position working on that platform and would like to make an informed decision.  Quirks, glitches, issues?  speed ? Thanks. ...

EPIC Question
Dec 20, 2013

For those in-house transcriptionists and IC at-home transcriptionists who have been through an EPIC launch/dragon dictation, does it totally eliminate the transcription?  I am just curious.  Wouldn't there be some types of reports that could not be done by either?  ...

EPIC Clientele
Mar 01, 2014

List of Epic clients from April, 2013 (too many to paste).  Also see comments following for more who have started with Epic who are not on the list.  I thought some might be interested in checking to see if their accounts are using EPIC. http://epic.usergroup.healthitsocial.com/page/epic-hospitals ...

Epic Fail!
Jan 15, 2015

TSA sent out an e-mail to EVERYBODY that should have gone to the PODmistress. I would've been terminated on the spot.  ...

EPIC Organizations
Feb 05, 2015

Organizations on the Care Everywhere Network ...

EPIC-new EMR With No Transcriptionists Needed??
Jan 26, 2010

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has heard of "Epic" a new EMR. I work for a doctor's office and was told no need anymore for transcription. Checking to see if anyone is in the same boat I am or heard of this new EMR. Thanks ...

UhOh, ER Doc Said He Had To Wait For EPIC Guy To
Jan 30, 2010

to get out of his way.  Does not bode well for the largest private hospital west of the Mississippi in the City of Angels. ...

Anybody Ever Work On Epic EMR Software? If So,
Jul 29, 2010

what are the similarities and differences between their use and the major transcription platforms?  Would experience with such transcriptions platforms DocQScribe (Document Enterprise Program), ChartScript, CQuence, Vianeta, etc. be of any use when learning Epic?  ...

Epic Taking MT Jobs Away?
Dec 04, 2011

I posted this in the VR/Speech Rec forum but reposted it here since that forum doesn't seem to get much traffic lately.   The hospital I work for changed over the Editscript last year.  Changeover went relatively smoothly, and we still had plenty of work to keep all the transcriptionists busy (after we stopped outsourcing the overflow we used to have).  Recently, the hospital switched to Epic electronic medical record system, and within a week the transcription workload plummeted to ...

Found Out Hospital Has Gone To EPIC
Dec 12, 2011

I was wondering why the amount of available jobs has dwindle to almost nothing, MTSO has some excuse like they are now dictating at night more etc etc... did a Google search and low and behond the hospital has put in the EPIC system... I have heard on here that it decreases the available work tremendously... and I'm here to tell you, it does.  The end is near!!!!! ...

EPIC - Venting Session!
Dec 20, 2011

Venting session! I am a part-time work-at-home transcriptionist employed at a local hospital as "resource".  When I started a couple months ago we had over 1500 jobs in the "cue" with mandatory overtime ... then along came EPIC.  The regular employees are working in 2 hour shifts so everyone can get a few reports in ... having under 75 dictations has become the norm and there isn't enough work for them ... and I have had no work for 6 weeks.  ...

Epic Close To Home...
Jan 16, 2012

A HUGE clinic with many different specialties in this area has went to Epic and now have laid off 30 MTs.  They said with Epic they didn't need them all.  What a shame!  I actually use that clinic, and I knew something was up a couple months ago when I went to the doctor.  They had a new system and they were typing everything in the computer.  When I left they gave me this printout that looked like a medical report.  It had my diagnosis, medicati ...

Impact Of EPIC On Coding
Feb 26, 2012

I was reading a post on one of the other boards about what an EPIC or point-and-click report looks like and it made me think about what it would be like to code a report like that.  Was wondering if any coders here code EMR point-and-click reports and does it make your job harder?  I would think that lots of narrative and detail would be more helpful in coding.  I've never actually seen an EPIC report so I don't know.  Thanks.  ...