A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Which online coding school - fedupMT

Posted: Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day with no work coming in.  I need some encouragement badly.  Can someone give me a direction to the right school to attend so I can get started on moving towards something better than this MT business??

Coding school - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot advise you about which coding school to attend, but by needing to work at home you are limiting yourself to many job opportunities. As a new coder, you will be permitted to work at home right away. Many companies require experience, and many employers will not release you to work at home for 1-2 years. Also, you won't want to code with little ones running around, it takes a lot of concentration and mistakes will cost your employer money.

Correction - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
This should read: As a new coder, you will not be permitted to work at home right away.

coding school - fedupMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I meant I need to do my schooling from home right now, hence online schools. I realize the experience thing and would be completely happy to get a job outside the home. I just need a good school recommendation so I am not wasting my time, money and efforts on a useless school.

Coding school - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I will be enrolling in Andrews toward the end of this month. I did a lot of research/comparisons of both online schools and my local community colleges this past year before making a final decision.

I decided to go with Andrews because I like how a lot of their graduates pass both the CPC and CCS. Most places only teach you enough for the CPC and/or CCA.

I like how the instructors at Andrews are/have been actual coders.

I like how their tuition includes All material, and doesn't include an extra charge if I don't finish within a certain time frame.

I like how I can call and talk to Linda directly and how she doesn't sell to people.

I like how I don't have to take a bunch of filler classes (like intro to Word or typing) that I would have to take if I went the CC route.

I like how I can't really think of any cons in the Andrews program.

Thanks so much for the helpful reply - fedupMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sweating this decision more than the decision I made to become an MT. Now how to figure out paying for school with work drying up so fast!!

MT training for coding too.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to be taking a coding program through a community college in my town that offers the program entirely online. The reason I went with them and not Andrews is because I qualify for a pretty sizable Pell grant (filled out the FAFSA online) that will cover the bulk of the tuition. Since Andrews isn't an accredited school, I wouldn't be able to use a grant for tuition.

Pell Grants are for college undergraduates - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason you cannot get one for Andrews is that it isn't a college, not that it isn't accredited. That kind of accreditation does not apply to them.

Suggestion - Experienced Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews is very good. I don't think you can go wrong with it. Their students do well on certification exams.

They are not that much more costly than other schools when you do an informed, realistic comparison. They also offer an interest-free payment plan, which is a lot better than graduating owing more than you can ever pay back.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Online Or At School
Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial. ...

What Online School Is Better???
Apr 24, 2012

I am wondering if a nationally accrediting school is better then just a regular accredited schooling?? Thanks ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

How Difficult Is An Online MT School?
Dec 23, 2009

I'm seriously considering enrolling at one of the "top two" MT online schools.  I'm good at English grammar, spelling, type over 100 wpm with 98% accuracy, a perfectionist, and am also very focused.  I do have a full-time job, but can easily devote evenings and time on the weekends to complete the course.  I'm up for a challenge, but after doing quite a bit of research, this sounds really difficult.  Feedback please! ...

Anyone Here Going Back To School Online
Oct 21, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here is going back to school for something else, but taking classes online.  I need to find a good online school as we only have one vehicle and my husband is using it to commute back and forth to work in another city.  If you are going back to school, what are you going for? Thanks ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

What Is Best Medical Transcription School Online
Nov 27, 2011

Hi, I would like to know what is the best online medical transcription school. Thanks in advance for reply. dce ...

Online School & Career Change At 40
Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)??? ...

Best School To Get Online Bacherlor's In RHIA Besides WGU?
Jul 25, 2013

Which school (that offers the program online) is the best to get an RHIA besides Western Governor's University? I'm not interested in going there. ...

Career Step - Has Anyone Heard Of This Online School?
Jun 23, 2010

Has anyone heard of this online school?  They say the are one of the best and have most job placement with the big MT employers.  Can anyone tell me anything about this school.  I know they all say they are the best.  Is there something in particular that I should look for in a school as far as their teaching techniques?  I read something about SUM, is this the best teaching program out there? ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Finding An Online Medical Transcription School To Go To
Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet.. ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Online Universities For Coding?
May 07, 2010

I have found at least 5 dozen on line colleges for medical coding and I can find Pros and Cons for all.  Just wondering if there were any students here currently utilizing on line colleges or programs for medical coding, or if anyone has any experiencing completing one. Thanks! ...

Which Online Coding Program
Aug 17, 2010

How does one know which online coding program to take when they all seem pretty good, besides the price difference? I specifically want to know about AHIMA or Career Step from someone who has graduated and found a job. I know they have testimonials on their website, but how does one really know?  I was thinking about either their program or the one from AHIMA, which seems a lot longer, but apparently with either you will be able to sit for the credentialing exam, and they seem to be close in ...

Can You Take Online Classes For Coding?
Dec 20, 2010

I'm new to this board so bear with me.  Having been a MT forever it seems, I'm thinking of making a switch to coding. At one point I was even hired as an entry level coder, learning on the job, but when i position came open in transcription took that as it paid better. In hindsight wish I had stuck with the coding as then could have gone either or even both ways.  My problem would be having to actually "go" to a school in person , but i would want something reputable, not som ...

How To Pick An Online Coding Course
May 08, 2011

After 28 years of medical billing I am ready for a change.  I've been researching online coding courses but there are so many!  I would be interested in any feedback you have on which courses you took and the pros and cons of each.  Thank you for your input. ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...

Best Online Coding Classes
Mar 06, 2013

I am very interested in getting into coding/billing field. I am retired medical transcriptionist. I am looking for advise on schools, what to look for in a school and requirements. I would really like to take classes online. ...

CTC Coding Online Training
Dec 15, 2014

I am looking at various online options and have found CTC through the AAPC website.  I was hoping someone might have some experience or knowledge of this training program that they would be willing to share.  TIA! ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

One Thing I Wish For Online Coding Program
Jun 07, 2012

I am currently attending Andrews School's coding program and I truly do love it.  There are still some things that confuse me a bit and sometimes I have wished there were "training" or lecture videos.  By taking this course, I have realized that I am a visual learner and have found that just by having to read everything, sometimes I have to go over it and over it to make sense of it, which then sets me back as far as time and then I have to rush to get all of my assignments comple ...

Looking For A Good Online Coding College
Jul 17, 2012

After much research i had decided on taking coding classes through Andrew College. Unfortunately since they are not an acredited college Vocational Rehab will not help pay. Can anyone recommend a good acredited college or one that accepts FASA grants? Looking to take online courses or classes in Ft. Wayne, IN. ...

Schooling - Good Online Coding Classes? 
Jan 21, 2010

Any recommendations on good online coding classes?  ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...

Has Anyone Gone To School For Coding At
Jul 08, 2011

I know they only have campuses in Wichita KS, Tulsa OK, Joplin MO, but I was just curious if anyone had gone there. TIA! ...