A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

One thing I wish for online coding program - currentstudent

Posted: Jun 07, 2012

I am currently attending Andrews School's coding program and I truly do love it.  There are still some things that confuse me a bit and sometimes I have wished there were "training" or lecture videos.  By taking this course, I have realized that I am a visual learner and have found that just by having to read everything, sometimes I have to go over it and over it to make sense of it, which then sets me back as far as time and then I have to rush to get all of my assignments completed.  So, for some of the more confusing things I wish there were small "example" videos that the instructors could make and post on the board so we could sort of "see" how certain things are done or sometimes just to hear it explained is good, too. I also wish there was a direct instructor email that we could use.  Don't get me wrong, I do love the course and this would be the only thing I would change. 

What is your purpose in posting that here? - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be more appropriate to address yur concerns with Linda Andrews than to air your grievances in public.

As a coder who also instructs, I am a little confused as to why you would need examples of "the more confusing things." What kind of confusing things? Your textbooks are crammed full of examples--that is what textbooks are for. I know Andrews uses high-quality textbooks, too, not homemade junk.

Again as an instructor, I want to point out something I often see. Your complaint seems to be focused on how much time and work you have to do in order to learn. If you only had something more to your liking, it wouldn't take as long. What you basically want is someone to learn you the material. You want someone else to do the work of learning for you, like Miss Kindergarten Teacher did. You just had fun while she imparted the learning to you. This is what ALL students want, including me.

When tape recorders were invented, students thought that having recorded lectures would be better because they could listen over and over. The programmed text fad followed that. When computers were invented, students thought that computer learning would be better. Now everybody thinks that videos would be better and that it is crucial to have instantaneous access to instructors by phone or email 24 hours a day. Yeah, if you had that, then you could learn.

I have had students claim that actual textbooks slowed them down. If they had e-books they could search in them and that would be the key to learning.

Oters claim that having to do math themselves interferes with learning because it takes too long.

I am sure students in Abraham Lincoln's day wished for a stack of spiral notebooks to use instead of coal and a shovel.

Two things should be noted here. If you are a visual or auditory or tactile learner, then YOU need to create the scenario for that, not the school. You are an adult, not a child. You have to do the work of learning yourself. There is no way around it.

Second, if your school does do all the work for you, how is that training you for working? Are you aware that you will need to learn on an almost constant basis? If you do not develop the skills required to read it, figure it out, and learn it, how will you keep up? There is no travelling teacher who will sit with you all day to talk you through your work, you know. CMS does not have a video library of demos. They expect that you can read.

Part of the learning IS working through the material. That is what is important. Doing it is what will help you in the long run.

It is no hindrance or inconvenience to be supplied with that opportunity. You have to make time to do the work. You have to figure out the material. There is no faster way. If you think there is, you are not seeing reality here.

It is not going to help to have recording, videos, or most anything else.

We learn by doing the work ourselves.

I might point out that with most coding programs you would have gotten far less.

You are way off lady - currentstuden

[ In Reply To ..]
For one thing, I did not post this to hurt the program or Linda. I like the school and I do enjoy the program. I have a feeling you are "redpen" because you are so rude and judgemental in your posts on people's "reasons" for posting certain things. I stated in the above post that I am a visual learner and I have attended another online class where there were some examples. There is nothing wrong with having examples. I DO NOT want someone to do the work for me. I want to LEARN to do this. How dare you accuse ME of wanting someone else to do it for me. If I didn't want to learn I would have quit the school long ago. Also, I don't have to explain anything to you. You are no longer an instructor there and hallelujah for that! I think it's great that you are here to help someone, but you like to try to belittle people in your posts. There is a way to convey a message instead of trying to be accusatory and demeaning. You are the type of person that just because you know about a certain subject you like to throw things around and it makes you feel superior to anyone else. No one likes to be lectured and you are way off in my reasoning for my post. I also wanted to know if anyone else feels the same way who is in the program, why is that wrong? I'm sure we all know you are an instructor or have been an instructor before by your knowledge of coding and that's wonderful, but don't be so assuming and judgemental.

I am with "currentstudent" - notastudent

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to agree with currentstudent. I knew exactly what she meant about online videos or direct emails, etc. I could not believe the belittling LONG response given by "wondering". She IS way off base and seemed to me to be looking down her nose at anyone she deems "below" her in knowledge, etc..ugh! The response was uncalled for and demeaning...
CurrentStudent - rise above that, ignore it and move on! Good luck in your endeavor!!!
Thank you notastudent - currentstudent
[ In Reply To ..]
I do appreciate the well wishes and the encouraging words. Thank you again.

To current student - Job seeker

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't attend Andrews but I know who Redpen is as her posts are easy to identify, and I also know other Andrews students who feel the way you do, so know that you are not alone. I want to thank you for having the courage to come forward and make some suggestions. It is never good for current or former innstructors to assume they know it all or to have a closed mind in regard to others ideas; no program is perfect and sometimes change can be good. Just remember that Redpen was a student herself at one point. I know you are going to do well in the program and in your future employment, best wishes.
Curious about what kind of job you are seeking - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I'm not - Job seeker
[ In Reply To ..]
Just pulled that out of my hat for a user name.

Way off "lady" makes my point - Must be more than one red pen

[ In Reply To ..]
There are hundreds of coding instructors. I guess we are not all as warm and fuzzy as you would like. Sounds like you have heard something similar to what I said before, and that does not surprise me in the least. I have seen similar things here before and probably said some of them myself.

You might not have meant harm, but that does not mean posting your complaints here did not cause harm. Name-calling and personal attack responses just add to the inappropriateness.

You missed the point I tried to make. It is a point that many instructors wish students would understand. It is that there are no shortcuts. All students, including me, want shortcuts but there are none.

You have to work through the coding yourself. That is the only way to do this.

Videos would be great, but you would only need ONE to go along with the description in your textbook of how to liik up codes. One size fits all.

It would be unnecessary to have a video explaining all the codes in the hypertension table. Textbooks do not explain this because there is no need to. We do not need that to use those codes. If you feel it would help, you are on the wrong track. It sounds as though you may be trying to learn the codes and "understand" them. No one could remembr that much material. There is no need for it, fortunately, but my students try to do it, too.

Instead of responding with hostility, try to see if there is somethig useful in what you were told. I get the point that my answer might have been less nice than you wanted. Perhaps you can overcome your dislike of Redpen long enough to see if there is some value to what I said that might help you learn coding.

Seriously, if you think you need videos now, you need to find a way around it because there are no videos on the job. No videos accompany CMS policies, employer policies, or any other things you will need to use later.
"way" off - currentstudent
[ In Reply To ..]
I value the knowledge shared by instructors of coding or other coders who do know how to do this and can offer sound advice, I just don't like sarcasm or belittling when being answered. I wasn't "complaining" about anything I was just merely stating what would be "nice." I've made it this far in the program, but this is a scary field to go into with such repercussions if you don't know what you are doing and I wanted some feedback from other students from there to see if they shared any of my views.

As for learning the codes, I don't expect to memorize them nor would I even want to try. Some of the confusing things for me are the V codes. I know I will have to do a lot of reviewing when I finish the course. I am aware there are no videos on the job, but I don't see where some of the more confusing things like hypertension and even the neoplasm and V codes couldn't have short videos while attending school. I know they will never do that, but I didn't see the harm in "dreaming." Again, I do thank you for taking the time out to help others in speaking about coding, but frankly, you were unnecessarily rude in the first post.
V Codes? - Wondering if you can explain
[ In Reply To ..]
Why do you find V codes confusing?
Not the OP but I find every new section of coding confusing at first - Sanity is Optional
[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, every single new concept in coding has scared me to death, temporarily. I could go through the list. Every time I was introduced to a new section, I would panic. It seemed like the hardest thing yet in the course, and then it came together. So the answer for me would be, if it's new to me, it's confusing until I've done some practice. Then it starts to make sense. V codes are a good example of that.
Same for me - Agree
[ In Reply To ..]
Same here! Every time I see something new, I kind of panic. Nearly everyone does that.

When you know you need to know it, but right away you see that you don't, you start feeling like you are in a math class that is way over your head.

Where I work, you can see how people deal with this in coders who encounter something new. Right now it is ICD-10. Some just plowed through the book and figured it out. It was scary at first, but they know that everything looks scary and that it is something they can manage. Some are refusing to even try until someone can be found to explain the material to them. Others have just decided that they never want to face learning again and plan to retire.

Rude Instructors - MT4now

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, it would seem someone had the same experience I had with "redpen". A VERY rude instructor at Andrews. When complained about - one was told - oh that is just the way she is - she is a military person and so...... So what?? You acknowledge she is rude to your students and that's okay????? Hmmmmm...that would seem a little counterproductive. There is much more to being a good instructor - just knowing the material is not enough - you have to be able to "teach" and "share" your knowledge and that is something that Redpen falls short on. There was far too much wasted time of trying to get a decent answer to a question for me to finish the program. To me - when a student asks a question - there shouldn't be riddles and games to get to the answer nor should there be rudeness and belittling. A question should not be answered with a question or accusations of one doesn't know how to follow instructions - and this was my experience with Andrews and Redpen. I work full time and when one works a full day and then works on school work at night - time for games and dealing with highly egotistical individuals becomes - well shall we say - not needed. Whereas I personally was not looking for specific answers to a test or anything of the sort - I was looking for specific instruction in a program I paid for. I have to wonder if this is not what this individual also is running into in this frustrating program, hence, the want for maybe some visual teaching as maybe the program/instructors are simply falling short of good teaching skills. I realize this may not be the experience of all individuals that have taken this program, and if it wasn't, I am glad you had a good one. I was not as lucky as you, and I am guessing neither is this individual having that great of an experience. I am currently seeking a different program, one that is a little more direct, cuts through the crap, a little more learning and less riddling/belittling - who has time for that garbage. One that answers a normal question directly when asked since time is a factor - I don't exactly have time for question/question/never any real answer games. I don't think that things like powerpoint examples are a bad idea. Whoever says one will not get visuals on the job is right - however, lets not forget - we are not on the job 'yet' when we are students. Visuals have long been used in education and it may not be beneficial to one - but works great for others. I would say - if you are not getting enough out of your program you are in to feel you are getting your money's worth - get out. There are a lot of great programs out there as far as for teaching - Andrews certainly is not the only one. I unfortunately wasted my money on this program and it is unfortunate, however, I was not going to waste anymore precious time as losing my money was enough for me. In reading the first response this person got to her post was very similar to the rude/riddle responses you get back in the program. Makes me realize I made a good decision to get out as I can see it is still going on. I completely support you in saying visuals/examples are a good idea. I totally agree. Maybe do some checking and see - there may be some boot camps or some supplemental courses out there that could help you along. I will continue my search for a good program - however, I think I am going to head for the "Approved Coding Programs" as I think they are 'approved' for a reason. Just sayin'. You can find these on the ahima.org website. :)
Suggestion - What works for one
[ In Reply To ..]
I'll bet this redpen did the happy dance when you left, too.

You might want to try a course like Career Step that has no instructors to annoy you. You would be free to do your thing as you see fit.

I liked Redpen - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I liked her. I've learned more than I could imagine from her.
Do you mean - Coding?
[ In Reply To ..]
or transcription?
Suggestion ? - MT4now
[ In Reply To ..]
I guess in "your own odd way" - you must feel you are "defending" Redpen/Andrews. However, you may want to rethink your defense strategy as just like I felt that Redpen/Andrews handled everything with riddles, rudeness, and unprofessional-like behavior, on top of just wasting my time for the most part, I can see that even some of those trying to defend the program still carry on the same strategy - just as you have done here. Did you learn that from Redpen?? Maybe she was a good instructor afterall, my bad. To state that a "business," which is what Andrews is, would do a "happy dance" (very immature) because they chased a customer away and any other potential customers that an unsatisfied customer will warn away from them - is not to intelligent - nor would it be too intelligent to boast about this so called "achievement" on a public board. As I stated - this was "my" personal experience with the Andrews program as do I feel others have had a similar experience as I have had. Yet, then again, there are others that like Redpen and "her" style of instructing, apparently like yourself and others. As I said originally - I am glad for those who felt they got a good education and their money's worth from it - as I would actually hate to think others would have had the bad luck I did.

If you have the time and like the game of having your questions answered with riddling questions, you like rude comments made to you for no reason, and you like the game of sarcasm - well then this program is definitely for you. And I can see how this program would appropriately then be for "you" as you seem to be just that type of person. Some enjoy that. I am far to busy with my career personally to have the time for that type of instruction - so it was not for me. If you had actually read what I wrote - I said I "needed" an instructor who was clear and to the point as I don't have time for the latter. I did not say I wanted a program "without" an instructor, I just wanted a competent professional instructor. After all - that "is" what I paid for - wasn't it?? I am not sure what your issue is with Career Step. I have not personally ever taken a Career Step program (maybe you have - or maybe you haven't - just felt like bashing a program you possibly know nothing about) - however, I have had experience in hiring some Career Step 'MT' grads - and they score higher on their tests than many and continue to do well on the job. That is something I can say for certain. If their coding program produces grads with those same qualities, well then I actually might be interested in checking out their coding program. I do see that the AHIMA has them listed as an "approved coding certificate" program so I have to believe they must have a curriculum that meets the standards that need to be met to produce quality coders. I didn't see Andrews on that list?? Also, from what I can see, there are other programs on that list that are worth checking into.

At any rate - my suggestion - you keep up the good work of "defending" the Andrews School and good old Redpen - I believe you are a good true representation of their program. If it walks like a duck...talks like duck....
Good luck to you!!
Old - student
[ In Reply To ..]
When you are a student you are vulnerable. You're stressed out, working full time, and trying to learn a very complicated new profession. The work load alone will make you wither and cry, but you are determined and find a way to do it. It is very difficult and each day presents a new challenge. When you are in this situation, a lot of it is finding your own way through the stress to be able to learn. In this situation, you want instruction and guidance - a leader. If the leader is harsh and condescending, I don't see how this can be good teaching. Most of the students starting in coding are mature, intelligent, successful people. Painting every student with the same brush is not a good idea. When I took the course at Andrews, there was a very punitive air on the boards. Scoldings. I believe it has changed now. It is a great course. It's a shame some had to go because they couldn't learn that way. I almost did too.
Old - student - Another old student
[ In Reply To ..]
Not all students are stressed out--you seem to be painting with the same brush yourself.

I never saw anything on the boards that was harsh, punitive, or condescending. In fact, Redpen posted very little that was not strictly informational or instructive material. When she did respond to students, she went into great detail for their benefit. There was never anything other than that. Never any scoldings.

I don't believe there could have been because Linda would not have allowed it. I can't imagine that you and the OP were unaware that Linda reviews every email and board post. She does not allow inappropriate communication from instructors or students.

The OP wanted to email instructors directly. After this thread I can see why Andrews runs everything through the school. If they did not, it would leave them defenseless against accusations like those in this thread.

Maybe your extreme sensitivity made you perceive personal attacks when there were none. I never saw anything like that. Distance learning is not for everyone.
I agree with you. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Disagree - MT4now
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't believe "Old Student" was painting everyone with the same brush. Are you doing that with 'your' opinion? I would like to think not. I would care to think it is just that - everyone's individual opinions. You obviously have had a different experience with Redpen and Andrews than myself and a few others here. Great that you share that with everyone as I think people reading need to hear it all. Just as they need to hear our experience - even if it was a negative one. Please don't tell us that this could never happen because you never seen/heard what was going on with each individual to know. I don't doubt you had a fine experience or I can't believe you would be on here stating so - why do you have to doubt mine and/or other's experience(s)?

For some people - the pressure of work and trying to do schooling may make them resort to tears. I guess it probably also hinges upon whatever else they have going on in their home life. Not everyone has such a busy life and for them - work and school - just flows. For others - it is overwhelming.

Just to make the record clear - I have done other Distance Learning Programs - I did the M-Tec transcription schooling while working. I did it very successfully and still work a successful job today. I did not have a an issue at all with that program, issue with disrespectful instructors, or games being played wasting my valuable time. If I asked a question, I got a prompt clear response without riddles and insults. It was a very professionally ran course. (Again, just my experience with that course.) Stress is not what pushed me into leaving the Andrews program. It was truly the fact of the nasty rude emails I would receive back in responses to questions asked. I really did not ask that many - but figured since I just paid thousands of dollars to take a program, I felt I had the right to ask if I did not understand something. I am not an over-sensitive type, actually quite blunt myself, and can actually take quite a bit; however, it became a matter of principal to me. There is right and there is wrong and the way my questions were handled was just PLAIN WRONG. You state that Linda sees every email and would never allow this to go on - however, you cannot say that for certain as you did not see the emails sent to me personally - did you? If it is true that she sees every email - then that makes it even worse to think she would have allowed it to go on without stopping it before I had to personally call her. Again - I reitterate from my first post - I was told that Redpen was a military individual and comes across as being rather rude at times - but.... BUT WHAT? You are acknowledging you know this - YET you are allowing it to go on. Don't make excuses for this type of behavior - lets put an end to it. In other words, I should excuse her because she went to the military. Does that make any common sense at all? Does going to the military give someone a new license in life to treat others with disrespect? I know other military individuals and they are, much to the contrary, some of the most respectful people I have ever been around, they are professional acting, and not at all what I had experienced with this progream.

You see - this had nothing to do with me just being an over-sensitive individual, or having too much stress in life, too much on my platter, or anything of the sort. It was just not right. You never seen any personal attacks you say - how would/could you have seen or known that was going on? I wouldn't think you had access to every personal email going back and forth to every student, nor do I think that Andrews is going to post that type of behavior on a public board for all to see what really is going on. Of course you would be oblivious to that type of thing - unless someone tells what happened to them.

While Distance Learning is not for everyone - I totally agree there - it truly is for me as I have done a couple of very successful courses so far and will continue my education through distance learning while I continue to do my job each day. I have yet to have an experience like the one I had at Andrews - and hopefully will not have another. I will do whatever I can to not waste thousands of dollars again on a program and also would love to help others save some money as well - for what it is worth. I believe there are very good programs out there, and I will find another coding program out there that will teach me with professionalism and a positive attitude to go with.
Again - I think everyone respects everyone's personal experiences and I respect the fact you had a good one. Thank goodness someone did.

Please don't try to make other's out to be "not telling the truth" when they in fact are not doing anything different than you are - just passing on their experience so those looking can make an 'informed' decision. I wish I had looked a little harder and heard a few more experiences before I had jumped in. Just sayin'
Some thoughts - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You obviously have a dislike of this person. Developing negative feelings happens even in the best of situations, but I want to point out some things I notice in your posts.

Instructors are not responsible for your personal issues, for life stresses, for your inability to deal with pressure, your emotional state, or anything other than their end of a course. If you are so stressed and pressed for time that you cannot do the necessary work, that is not the instructor's fault.

While saying that people should not be painted with the same brush, you justify your beliefs about Redpen by saying she was military. You are sure that is why she is so rude. Then, you turn right around and say you know lots of military people who are not like that. So which is it? You can't justify her behavior as being what you expect from military people AND say that military people aren't like that.

Maybe it isn't that she was military as much as it is that you just didn't jive with her teaching style. And that you can't accept any responsibility for your own role in your dissatisfaction.

Maybe teaching you isn't so easy. From the "riddling" and contradictory statements in your posts, I kind of wonder.

One thing I am sure of, though. For someone so focused on how important it is for people to be nice to you, you sure aren't very nice. You are spending a lot of time smearing others' reputations in public. While remaining totally and safely anonymous, you are slandering two identifiable individuals.

After doing so, you try to trivialize what you did with "Just sayin'." What, like you didn't mean it? Like you aren't aware (Oops! Ha ha!) how hurtful your statements are?

I am sorry, but your outrage and willingness to hurt is way out of proportion to the crime. It just isn't possible for any instructor under Linda's supervision to have been that bad.

I think that should make anyone reading this question the worth of your accusations. If you have a complaint, take it up with Linda.

And please drop the military bit. It is offensive to all veterans and just plain ignorant.
Well said. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Ignorant? - MT4now
[ In Reply To ..]
I think you need to take a step back and re-read my post as you seem to be a little confused. I never said I had personal issues, life stresses, or anything of the sort. Quite to the contrary - I said I had none of that. Just simply work my job and trying to do schooling to further my education. I said 'some people' may have that as an issue - but I also said that WAS NOT my case. Sorry to wreck your theory. I also never said any one instructor was responsible for any one person's personal issues. Not sure where you came up with that.

As far as you talking about 'my beliefs' about Redpen being Military - that was not my creation. Read the post again. That was not my accusation - that came right directly from Linda. This was "her" justification / "her" statement for the way Redpen acts. If you have a problem with people saying something like that - maybe you should take it up with the creator of that statement. I am just passing along the information I was told by Linda herself. Lets not kill the messenger here. If you would read - I said that statement made no common sense at all to me. However, I will say for certain - that is exactly what I was told.

So in your next statement - that I didn't jive with Redpen's teaching style - YOU ARE CORRECT. I will be 100% responsible for not jiving with a rude instructor. I am not ashamed of that. Like I have said before - in comparison to other programs I have completed or, in your words, "jived" with - I do not think this was, or is, the way instructors should be towards their students. I have never had another instructor act with such behavior. Much to the contrary - they have mostly all been very professional and to the point. I have no problem admitting I don't jive with that type of program. If you do jive with that type of program - to each their own - makes no difference to me.

As far as my status for being "teachable" - again - in comparison to other programs/instructors - other instructors have found me teachable. Have never had an issue like this. I have completed other programs with great success. I realize no 2 students are alike - nor are 2 instructors alike. I guess looking at this from a business point of view - if I owned a business and I had an instructor that, likewise, didn't jive with a student(s)- I think I would probably maybe do something about that rather than make up some strange excuse before I lost students. Also, from some of the other posts on this board - it would seem I am not the only student that this Redpen didn't "jive" with. I have actually received a few emails in response to my post above about rude instructors thanking me for coming forward. So obviously there are more out there that have had the same issue.

As far as slandering 2 individuals - Slander means 'by definition' to tell an untruth about someone in order to harm a reputation. Sorry - but my comments are truth, which is not slander. Andrews Program is a business. There are many public sites where one can post their opinion about a business. Are you suggesting that anyone that gives their opinion about a business on a review board - good or bad - is now all considered "slander." My goodness, you can go to Amazon.com and see reviews on any product you wish to purchase - set up to give a consumer the chance to make an informed decision before they buy from a particular business based on other's experiences with the product/business. But just because I didn't give Andrews a 5-star rating - I now am accused of slander. I think that is is a little over the top. Everyone has a right to give their review, just as I do.

You made this statement in your post, "It just isn't possible for any instructor under Linda's supervision to have been that bad." This sounds so absurd. Do you know this for a fact? Did you personally see the emails sent to me? Were you there? Did you hear my personal conversation between Linda and myself? How could/would you possibly know that Linda would never allow that? Unless you were there in that office to hear / see what was going on personally - I don't think it is right to say such a thing. I did see / do have the emails yet to this day that were sent to me. I do remember the conversation and what I was told - so I was there and I DO know what was allowed to go on in MY case and what was said TO ME. I do not know what is told to other people or how other's situations are handled. I have a few emails telling me some stories of other's experiences - they sound very similar to mine. However, on the other hand, 'I' certainly would not tell someone who said they had a great experience with Andrews Program that it just can't be so because mine was so bad. But that is exactly what you are doing to me. Not right!

Again - you must not have read my post too well as you tell me if I have a complaint to take it up with Linda - I did that - it was taken up with her. She had her chance to make right on it. I went through the appropriate steps and channels and gave the program the chance it deserved. In my opinion, the issue was acknowledged to be there yet it was not handled correctly. I left the program because it was a matter of principal to me - not because I couldn't learn the material because I can and have learned much of it outside of Andrews Program already. It was a matter of right and wrong. I did talk to Linda first - she decided to excuse the behavior rather than deal with it and to me that is wrong. Maybe it isn't to you - but it is to me.

Again to address your comment about "the military bit" - I guess we do agree on 1 thing, it was a very ignorant comment to have been made - unfortunately, as much as you would have liked to have the ignorance directed towards me - you need to realize where the comment came from in the first place, and it wasn't me who created it.

As far as staying totally and 'safely' anonymous - that sounds so familiar - isn't that exactly what 'Redpen' does?

Simply put - everyone is entitled to share their review of a business if they so choose. That is what my post was - a review I wanted to share based on my personal experience I had with a business and individuals within that business (annoymous or not). Again, you may not appreciate my review - that's okay - I don't expect everyone to appreciate it. I have others who have appreciated it - and so I guess it was worth my while. Thanks back to those who did email me their experiences and gave thanks for my post - I do appreciate it. I will hope for the best in your future careers for all of you.
When I started Andrews I was told.... - CurrentStudent
[ In Reply To ..]
When I started the program, I was more or less warned by Linda herself, that Redpen, can come off as "harsh" because of her military background. Now, to me, that sounds like a warning. I brushed it off thinking I could deal with it, but I hadn't yet received the belittling emails and basically being berated for any questions I asked. So, I know Linda did know of this because I know there were other students who had the same problem, because I heard it straight from her. But, apparently it was felt her teaching was effective, possibly. I don't know and I don't care anymore. I am just glad I can do my work without having to fear long emails of what was insults in an attempt to make a person feel terrible about themselves. I stuck it out there because I paid in full at the beginning and wanted a good education, but there were times I almost quit. And I am thankful I didn't now.
You hit the nail on the headMT4now - currentstudent
[ In Reply To ..]
You definitely hit the nail on the head. When I originally posted this thread, I never in a million years expected for it to get out of hand as it did. I just merely made a suggestion or wish, whichever one would chose. But, I agree 100% with everything you said. There were times I almost quit the program because of her. I was always afraid to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed or snapped at for asking the wrong questions. I, too, work a full time job and at the time I was working a full time and part time and also caring for my family. I never minded nor do I mind the self-assessments of what I have done wrong, but her way of teaching was definitely not conducive for my learning. I have to admit I was happy when she left. I feel much more at ease and can actually concentrate better on my self-assessments and the questions I need to have answered. I agree that just because she is/was military gave no excuse to treat students that way. If there are students that learned from her that is great, because the lady does have a wealth of knowledge, but her teaching etiquette is lacking. But, I wanted to thank you for voicing your opinion. I am thankful to have boards such as this in order to do so.

But, whatever negative things this thread caused, I apologize and meant no disrespect to Andrews and never meant for anyone to go at each other (there is enough of that on the transcription boards), but I think anyone who is interested in coding would love the program now. It is much, much better than it was before. :) I'm just a visual learner and wish I had visual samples is all, but I have since found some here and there that have helped somewhat.
Don't worry about it. Boards like this can be like lynch mobs in the old west - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
It's normal on any kind of boards on any topic for things to go from a thoughtful comment to mass hysteria. We're all used to it. Most of us read through the lines and can sort out the legitimate comments from the malcontents. That's just part of the internet age.

Your message was fine. No apologies needed.
I, too, have the old emails and they were rude. - CurrentStudent
[ In Reply To ..]
Like MT4now, I, too, have kept the emails which were sent and they ARE rude and condescending AND belittling. I even showed them to my husband who completely agreed, as well as read them (without letting my opinion on how I perceived them) to a couple of my friends as well, and they all said the SAME thing. Rude, berating and uncalled for.
"Wither and Cry" might be a little bit dramatic but I will agree with some of your comment - Please see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Your comment made all students sound like victims. I've taken courses in the past when I was overwhelmed with other things that were going on in my life. Those courses didn't work for me, but I didn't blame them. Actually, I did blame one of them. They never acknowledge that I existed. Not even once. It was a distance learning course with no human contact. I had questions but didn't know who to ask, so I dropped. They didn't notice. I do blame that particular course, which was at a state university.

Not all students can be described as you characterized them, vulnerable, stressed out, withering and crying. Some would be better described as committed to learning, motivated, professional in attitude, highly intelligent, capable, with a heavy dose of tenacity.

I believe you've painted us all with a very broad brush. I tend to do the same thing when I'm tired, especially when I've taken on more than is reasonable to do.

GET a clue! - Rudemuch

[ In Reply To ..]
I take it her purpose of posting here her opinion of a CODING COURSER on the CODING BOARD is just that...her opinion. Get off your high horse.

Another point of view - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand what you're saying. It's a tough course. I respect your point of view, which differs from mine, but strongly disagree about the videos. I've had to sit through training videos or what I call "training by Talking Heads". They make me want to scream or worse. Even worse, courses continue to require them even though they are outdated almost as soon as they are created. After I get past the outdated hairstyles and clothing, which distracts and annoys me, I try hard to listen to the droning on and on, but I have yet to make it through one without zoning out or falling asleep. That's just me though. Did I tell you how much I hate video and "seminar" training?

Seriously, no videos, please!

I wouldn't purposely choose to enroll in any course, workshop, or seminar that is based on watching talking heads. If they made me watch videos in any course I'm in, and they would if they thought highly enough of them to create them, I would seriously consider dropping out.

I recently realized just how much I hate "instructional videos" - Who Knew?

[ In Reply To ..]
I was researching something recently. I was reading and drinking up information by Googling. Some of the links sounded interesting, but when I clicked on them, they were videos. I tried a few of them because they sounded really interesting. If they had the text printed below the video box, I would read it and get the information I needed. Some of them forced you to watch the video if you want that information. I decline those. It isn't worth it to me. I hadn't realized just how much I dislike video presentations until just recently.

Depends on the topic---flower arranging videos can be helpful - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
I think there are times when instructional videos can be helpful. I know that if I were going to learn how to do flower arranging or tole painting, I would watch video demonstrations. For academic work though, I prefer reading. I might even read it out loud or write or type out some of the more difficult parts, but I don't need anyone to explain to me in a video what I can read for myself. The idea of watching a coding demonstration is scary to me.
I think - that
[ In Reply To ..]
A demonstration/breakdown of coding a diagnosis with all of it's what if's might be good. An example would be hypertension for instance, start with hypertension, then build on the diagnoses with heart involvement, kidney involvement...I see what the OP meant. Another demonstration of the process here and there on complex diagnoses could be very useful.
Wow! That was rude! - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
To the original poster: What a rude and uncalled for response to your post! You said nothing wrong!

Here's a thought I had that could help. My kids are on Youtube alot - and they find out so many 'how to' videos. I've even found a few instructional videos myself (not work related). Maybe you can find something on there? A tutorial or something? Just a thought. Good luck to you and ignore the rudies! :)
Not the OP, but that is a very bad idea - Here is why
[ In Reply To ..]
You can find everything online. Half of it has bad or erroneous information. I don't think that's a very good idea.
Online no different from schools, which can ALSO - give erroneous info. n/m
[ In Reply To ..]

yes, some of them can be terrible - Currentstudent

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been through several training videos as well and training "slides" some of them can be horrible and a great remedy for insomnia, but I think shorter example videos would be nice. Not so much of a long droning lecture in them and not something that is mandatory. Thanks so much for your input! :)

also a visual learner/Andrew's student - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
What has helped me for the more complicated coding examples is to go back slowly through the material and make an outline with notes on the important rules/exceptions. I then review that, and making it into an outline and condensing it helps me understand/retain the material. Yes, it takes longer, but I do remember it and retain it much better. I also follow along in the ICD-9 coding manual and actually read all of the coding instructions in there at the same time.

Having said that, I do like your idea of videos and this would help me as well, but the above suggestions may help you as well for now! Good luck!!

The outline is what I do too - I agree

[ In Reply To ..]
Going back through the material slowly and methodically really is a good technique. Often I make the kind of outline you suggested. Excellent ideas!

Student learning styles - Student as Well

[ In Reply To ..]
I happen to agree with you that it's sometimes hard when you aren't able to have some kind of direct contact with your instructor. Everyone learns differently. I believe good instructors recognize that in their students and do something to handle it differently based on needs.

Similar Messages:

Which Online Coding Program
Aug 17, 2010

How does one know which online coding program to take when they all seem pretty good, besides the price difference? I specifically want to know about AHIMA or Career Step from someone who has graduated and found a job. I know they have testimonials on their website, but how does one really know?  I was thinking about either their program or the one from AHIMA, which seems a lot longer, but apparently with either you will be able to sit for the credentialing exam, and they seem to be close in ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Online Program Where You Can Take An Editing Course?
Nov 18, 2011

Does anyone know of an online program where you can take an editing course? ...

Another Weird Thing - No TLs On Either IM Program.
Dec 17, 2012

nm ...

Its A Good Thing I Have An Antivirus Program...
Dec 13, 2014

I just sat down at my computer and there were 3 Trojan Horses on it that my antivirus caught.  The source was Escription... ...

Online Universities For Coding?
May 07, 2010

I have found at least 5 dozen on line colleges for medical coding and I can find Pros and Cons for all.  Just wondering if there were any students here currently utilizing on line colleges or programs for medical coding, or if anyone has any experiencing completing one. Thanks! ...

Can You Take Online Classes For Coding?
Dec 20, 2010

I'm new to this board so bear with me.  Having been a MT forever it seems, I'm thinking of making a switch to coding. At one point I was even hired as an entry level coder, learning on the job, but when i position came open in transcription took that as it paid better. In hindsight wish I had stuck with the coding as then could have gone either or even both ways.  My problem would be having to actually "go" to a school in person , but i would want something reputable, not som ...

How To Pick An Online Coding Course
May 08, 2011

After 28 years of medical billing I am ready for a change.  I've been researching online coding courses but there are so many!  I would be interested in any feedback you have on which courses you took and the pros and cons of each.  Thank you for your input. ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...

Best Online Coding Classes
Mar 06, 2013

I am very interested in getting into coding/billing field. I am retired medical transcriptionist. I am looking for advise on schools, what to look for in a school and requirements. I would really like to take classes online. ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

CTC Coding Online Training
Dec 15, 2014

I am looking at various online options and have found CTC through the AAPC website.  I was hoping someone might have some experience or knowledge of this training program that they would be willing to share.  TIA! ...

Looking For A Good Online Coding College
Jul 17, 2012

After much research i had decided on taking coding classes through Andrew College. Unfortunately since they are not an acredited college Vocational Rehab will not help pay. Can anyone recommend a good acredited college or one that accepts FASA grants? Looking to take online courses or classes in Ft. Wayne, IN. ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

Schooling - Good Online Coding Classes? 
Jan 21, 2010

Any recommendations on good online coding classes?  ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

I Am Almost Done With My Coding Program But
Sep 22, 2011

now I don't know if I want to be a coder :(.  I planned on taking the CPC and then after a few years taking the CCS.  Before I started my program, I was naive and didn't realize how difficult and complex coding is.  I don't know that I can sit in front of a computer for 8 hours and code all day long.  It's almost too much like MTing (desk work, I mean).  Plus, I am not confident in my ability to even pass the CPC.  I am not very satisfied with th ...

Does Anyone Know If The Andrews Coding Program...sm
Dec 09, 2010

offers training of the 3M encoding software?  I read that Career Step does and when I look at most coding jobs, they require training and experience using 3M encoding software.  Thanks for your help! ...

AHDPG Coding Program
Jan 18, 2012

Has anyone attended thisl AHDPG coding program?  I see they are recommended by AAPC.  I am a little leary of them as I have never heard of them  before. ...

Question About A Particular Coding Program
Sep 07, 2012

I am looking for a medical coding program and have been checking into various ones. I came across this one and it seems too good to be true. All others have been at least $1000 but usually more than that. This programs states it is only $349 for a 6 month indepth course. You can find it at www.medicalcodingpro.com or just google Medical Coding Pro. My concern is, does this program really train you from scratch or is it meant as a refresher course for people who have worked in this field pr ...

Is It Important To Take A Coding Program That Is
Jul 29, 2013

or does it mostly boil down to going to a school with a good curriculum and then getting a certification? I'm trying to decide between a community college program and Career Step.  The community college program, I won't be able to graduate from until 2015, which seems like forever, but with Career Step, I could be done in a year from now.  Career Step is AHIMA approved, and MModal (my current employer) told me that the AHIMA approval is important. ...

CPC/CCS Coding Program Other Than Andrews
Sep 03, 2013

Does anyone know of a (non-degree) program other than Andrews that upon completion will allow you to be eligible to sit for the CCS and CPC exam. I have researched the Andrews program and think it sounds great and comes with awesome recommendations from this board. I just want to explore any other options available before I take the plunge. Not necessarily needing a degree, already have Masters in Health Administration. Thanks so much. ...

Coding Program And FT/PT Status . Wonder
Mar 11, 2014

If chosen for this program and moving down to PT production, I wonder if you are then considered PT and will lose health benefits? Has anyone inquired about this yet? ...

MM Coding Program Questions
May 08, 2014

For those of you in the HDS2Coder program, how do you like it?  Would you recommend it to other MM employees?  Is it harder than you expected or take up more of your time than expected?  I'm just wanting to know how you all are doing in there in case they offer the program again in July.  Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on!! ...

Coding Program Stopped
May 14, 2014

Just got an email from our manager saying they are stopping the program for the next week or so until they get the bugs worked out.   We are supposed to type until they figure out their next step.  Some of the students still don't have the encoder program.  I think a big part of it is because of the ruling to delay ICD9.  Who knows if it will start back up again.     Will keep you guys posted.  ...

If Coding Program Is Offered Again, DON'T DO IT!
Dec 09, 2014

MTs, if MModal offers this coding program again, don't do it...it is now 10 months into a 3 month program and has again been pushed back by another 2 months...they make it look good with guaranteed employment and dangling bonuses at you, but don't be fooled..they have no intension of ever paying you or moving you into the job...this is just to dangle in front of customers to say "hire us, we are cutting edge!" ...

In Coding Program...question
Dec 11, 2014

I am getting a little overwhelmed with the manual side of coding. The beginning part of the course was a breeze because it was all medical terms and anatomy. The coding part just seems overwhelming. Is working in real life easier with the encoder than it is manually looking up a code? ...

Any Word On The Coding Program?
Feb 28, 2015

I asked the coding board and just got crickets.  I was hoping that they would do another round and I could give the test a try.  I heard from a coworker who heard from another coworker who heard from one of the coders in training that they recently dropped the program.  I'm not sure if I believe it or not as it would be all over this board I would think.   ...