A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

finding an online medical transcription school to go to - alicianicole

Posted: Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet..

alicianicole - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Only the best and most experienced make a good wage now. I know many, many MTs who make ten dollars an hour and consider themselves fortunate. It is extremely difficult to get hired. Our company receives approximately 300 applications for every one opening. As to schools, I would not recommend anything but Andrews. Have you actually spoken with recruiters for schools, etc.? You might speak with Andrews and do some pre-enrollment assessment with them to see if MT is really the right place for you or if your needs would be better served in another profession. Some things you might want to ask yourself are: Do you like technical writing? Do you have flawless English and grammar skills? The competition is fierce, and not only your transcribing skills and knowledge of medicine, but also your English and composition skills, must be impeccable. Why do you want to become an MT?

reply - alicianicole

[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't say my grammar and english skills are perfect, but they're definately really good. I'm really good at typing and do have some knowledge of medical terms due to a class i took in high school. I wanted to be an mt because i really would prefer a job that i can stay at home and do. Besides the fact i won't have a boss standing over me. I had seen on this website job listings for mts where they were offering $20 an hr. with no experience so i figured it'd be a good thing to get into.

Want to be an MT - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Call Linda Andrews, I believe they have a process still where you will test to see if you have the aptitude for MT, and that is a great starting point. She can also answer quite a lot of your questions you may have whether or not you choose her school. It is the best choice you could make as far as schooling if you want to be a top-notch MT. Good luck to you.

:) alicianicole - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
You might do better at this point to look into medical assisting or another aspect of the medical field.

Realistic salary would be $8-12 for your first year or so most likely, assuming you could get hired. Only MTs with top-notch stellar skills are going to be able to find at-home positions, so you'd likely have to look for work in a hospital or clinic.

Lots of "hot buttons" in your post but they are all the issues that would have most of us saying it's a difficult gig to get, keep, and be successful at during this time.

Andrews school is the one I'd recommend to you.

It would be interesting to know - what website is offering

[ In Reply To ..]
$20 an hour for no experience. By "this website," one assumes you mean "a" website, because you aren't going to see real jobs advertised here for that rate for no experience. If you mean you saw an ad on this website "offering" that salary, you should know that those are advertisements trying to entice you to sign up for their training program. Any training program that claims you can make $20 an hour with no experience should not be considered reliable. Be very careful in choosing your school so you don't waste your money on training that will not lead to a job.

You have been given very good suggestions here about contacting the Andrews School and taking their screening exam. That will give you an idea of how to proceed.

Good luck to you.

alicianicole - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not say your skills are definitely (not "definately") are "really good." I am absolutely NOT trying to be a grammar cop here and am only bringing it up to help, as you mentioned it first and you seem think your English skills are sufficient for the MT world and not to realize that "English" requires capitalization as does "I." These things are BASIC to even gaining acceptance into an MT program. That is why I would encourage you to have your skills evaluated by Andrews. They can give you an unbiased opinion as to whether you qualify to even enter an MT training program. Wanting to be an MT simply because you want to work at home is not the right reason at all. And yes, you WILL have a boss standing over you. You need to become familiar with electronic timeclocks. (My boss lives approximately 3000 miles away from me and I can guarandarntee that she knows what I am doing every moment I am signed onto the system. You have to be okay with that to work remotely.) As to that "website", if you believe what it says, there is a beautiful bridge in Brooklyn--if you will send me fifty bucks, I will sell it to you. My friend, you really need--for your own sake--to do some serious research into what medical transcription is and requires. Then ask yourself if you can/want to make a commitment to this field. Do you have the maturity and motivation to do so? Only you can answer that one. I would recommend doing some English brush-up on the basics of punctuation and grammar before you apply anywhere, even to a school. Above all else, please do not get sucked in by the ads you see on websites and in magazines. The world does not need yet another unemployable person who has had all of her money taken by unscrupulous people who sold her the moon in an ad. Newbies who go to that website have about as much chance of getting a job in MT as I do of getting a date with George Clooney next Saturday night. I am sure you are a good person with many fine qualities, but my sense is that you do not yet know what medical transcription really is or requires. Please do yourself a favor and really inform yourself about the profession. Good luck to you! I hope you find something that meets your needs.

Similar Messages:

What Is Best Medical Transcription School Online
Nov 27, 2011

Hi, I would like to know what is the best online medical transcription school. Thanks in advance for reply. dce ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Medical Transcription Online Schools
Apr 26, 2011

I attended a seminar last night for an online medical transcription school.  The school providing the information was At-Home Professions out of Ft. Collins, CO.  After doing some research I have found that they may not give as intense of a schooling as others.  Can anyone give advice on this and/or which schools would provide a better education? ...

Tips On Creating An Online Medical Transcription Resume?
Nov 03, 2010

Can anyone give me tips on creating an online resume?  My first impression is important for this since I can't be there in person...Any help would be appreciated.  I am retired from my career, but took a course in medical billing and medical transcription so I could work from home in a rural area.  I have limited MT experience (1 year at a large company) but want to expand my workload a bit.  Help! ...

Medical Transcription School Recommendations?
Jun 22, 2010

I am very interested in narrowing down my current work experience and specializing in one field.  I have no idea on what school I should go with for a CMT diploma/certificate.  Can anyone guide me or have any great experiences with a school?  I am looking for an online school if they are worth paying the money.  This field would be fairly new to me so I need a full course of all the necessary and required courses to be marketable to a new company for job placement.  Thanks for any suggestio ...

Medical Transcription - Good School ?
Sep 12, 2010

Hi. i    want to know if anyone    know  of a good school for medical  transcription   i've been looking online but  don't knoe what  school to choose. I want a school that have internships.  Thanks! ...

Medical Transcription School - Reputable And Not A Rip-off?
Feb 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me which MT schools are reputable and not a rip-off?  I'm asking for a friend who is interested in getting into the field.  I started so many years ago that I've never had to get certified, so would appreciate any info.  Thanks! ...

Medical Transcription School Has Left Me A Little Unnerved
Feb 14, 2010

I recently had an experience with an MT school that has left me a little unnerved.  Therefore, I have a couple of questions for those who are currently attending school or have completed an MT program.  Were you provided statistics about the number of actual graduates?  Schools can have a lot of enrollees but it’s my opinion that the number of actual graduates matters. Were you provided any information about the qualifications of your instructors?  My next question is for the experienced M ...

Medical Transcription School - Penn Foster ?
Jan 02, 2011

I am new to this site. I am thinking about training to become a MT but very confused about schools I have checked on. The school I am leaning towards is Penn Foster, but the price is much cheaper than all the others. I want to get all I can from the course. If anyone has done the MT course with them let me know what you thought about it. Thank You ...

Who Would Have Copy Of Medical Transcription Certificate School Closed
Apr 12, 2010

Hi, I need my transcription certificate from Tennessee Career College which I graduated from in 2006. The school is now closed and I have misplaced original certificate. Who would have a copy of that. The Dept of Education? Thanks Lesnbek ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

Online Or At School
Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial. ...

What Online School Is Better???
Apr 24, 2012

I am wondering if a nationally accrediting school is better then just a regular accredited schooling?? Thanks ...

How Difficult Is An Online MT School?
Dec 23, 2009

I'm seriously considering enrolling at one of the "top two" MT online schools.  I'm good at English grammar, spelling, type over 100 wpm with 98% accuracy, a perfectionist, and am also very focused.  I do have a full-time job, but can easily devote evenings and time on the weekends to complete the course.  I'm up for a challenge, but after doing quite a bit of research, this sounds really difficult.  Feedback please! ...

Anyone Here Going Back To School Online
Oct 21, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here is going back to school for something else, but taking classes online.  I need to find a good online school as we only have one vehicle and my husband is using it to commute back and forth to work in another city.  If you are going back to school, what are you going for? Thanks ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

Online School & Career Change At 40
Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)??? ...

Best School To Get Online Bacherlor's In RHIA Besides WGU?
Jul 25, 2013

Which school (that offers the program online) is the best to get an RHIA besides Western Governor's University? I'm not interested in going there. ...

Career Step - Has Anyone Heard Of This Online School?
Jun 23, 2010

Has anyone heard of this online school?  They say the are one of the best and have most job placement with the big MT employers.  Can anyone tell me anything about this school.  I know they all say they are the best.  Is there something in particular that I should look for in a school as far as their teaching techniques?  I read something about SUM, is this the best teaching program out there? ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

I Have Not Worked In 6 Years, And Only Have 3 Months Experience, Is There Hope In Finding A Medical
Jul 05, 2012

I graduated from a local Technical College with a Certificate in Medical Transcription. I had spent a year searching for a company that would hire someone new, but had no luck. Then, out of the blue a local company had seen my resume and offered me a job. I got the job, but the thing was I was almost 7 months pregnant with my second child! I had only worked a couple months until our baby was born and after consideration, decided not to come back so I could be with our baby full-time. Well, it ha ...

Free Online Medical Dictionary?
Jun 03, 2011

I was told I need to download a new medical spell checker for my computer.  Problem is, Stedman's cost $100, and I simply do not have that right now.  Are there any good, professional, reliable FREE online medical spell checkers out there to download?  Thanks! ...

Patient Medical Records Online Is Making News On NBC Sunday At 11
Feb 13, 2010

I have seen where our local news station in Richmond, VA is going to be covering a news story about patient medical records online on Sunday at 11:00 p.m.  The actual story caption advertised is:  "Patient Medical Records Online - What Happens Will Make You Sick." Oh yeah, it's about time.  I know not everyone will have this on NBC but you can access this story afterwards on the NBC Channel 12 website.  It will be interesting to see how this is covered and whether ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Pathology Transcription: Needing Advice On Finding A Job
Jan 27, 2015

Wondering if anyone can offer advice on where PATHOLOGY TRANSCRIPTIONIST jobs can be found - preferably one at home and would really like one that pays by the hour, but would consider one that pays by the line. Thanks for any advice that you might be able to offer. ...

Online Transcription Course
Nov 15, 2014

I need input on which is the best online transcription course available for a newbie. I do have a history of 10 years work in radiology but have been out of the field for about 6 years and now am basically starting over since I am not a CMT.  I have looked @ CanScribe and CareerStep, any opionions on these two? Thank you for any information you can provide....   ...

Best School To Go To For Medical Billing
Jan 25, 2013

I currently am working at a nursing home as the office manager and the company is wanting to bring the billing inhouse, having me do it. I have done some billing in the past, but would definitely need a refresher! Thanks in advance! ...

Online Schools For Transcription
Aug 04, 2012

I have been an MT for 4 years now and actually completed all my training at a local technical college.  Now, I find myself in a position to mentor some young Military Spouses regarding medical transcription and what online schools would be the better choice for completing a MT certification. I am not that familiar with the online options, so I was hoping to hear the good, the bad, and yes even the ugly about what is out there.  Our spouses have funding of around $4000 and ...