A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Online School & Career Change At 40 - TLT

Posted: Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)???

please don't do it - read these forums

[ In Reply To ..]
Would not recommend ANYONE get into MT at this point and especially not pay for a course! Executive administrative assistant is a good, well-respected job! Not everyone can do that!

mt job - another anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the above poster. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY IN MT.

I have been an MT for 20+years. The pay was good when I started but has dropped by 40% since voice wreck took over.

Working from home is not all that you think it is. Plus this job has now become something I would not recommend to my worst enemy. Stick with the exec assistant.

I agree - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT for 27+ years and I am currently in school to get out. This past year, my pay was cut in half through no fault of my own. I was hired to work full time but most days there aren't any jobs available. Please read the New MTs board over to the left.

close to 40 years as MT, from typewriters to online/at home - look for something else. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
]

Oh the typewriters... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I never thought I'd miss them but those were the days. I worked in offices and hospitals on a typewriter and, get this, I knew all the doctors and they even knew my name. They actually treated me with respect and appreciated my knowledge! Fast forward about 20 years and look at what has happened to this "career." It really is so sad.

Executive admin asst. sm - Trying to get out of MTing after 25 years.

[ In Reply To ..]
If working from home is your desire, have you considered a remote position for a service or freelancing as an admin asst or an advocate of some sort? I read somewhere such employees are in demand. Also consider getting a book from the library on at-home careers. You may see something that sparks your interest. Sure wish I had your skills. As soon as I take care of some pesky personal issues, I plan to take courses for office procedures and software and try to land one of those jobs. May not become rich, but probably better than the min wage I make now. Good luck with whatever you decide.

yeah can someone tell me how to become a phone operator? - it has always been my dream

[ In Reply To ..]
Does anyone know where I can go to school to learn to be a long distance phone operator? I have heard that's a great career with unlimited potential, making a lot of money! Thanks in advance.

Please, please don't do it - Smitty

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in this business for 14 years, started at 10 CPL which was good, currently now not even making 5 CPL, being required to do twice as much work, without even getting holidays off now. This is the only business that I know of where you pay goes down instead of up with experience.

I think the OP went over to the newbie board - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think she is the same one who posted over there, probably hoping she will hear what she wants to hear there.

I applaud you for going back to school at 40! HOWEVER, - I am 63 & going back to get OUT of MT!

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately for us, (the American MTs), the doctors who dictate, and the patients who depend on them, MT as a career is TANKING. Yes, there's still a high demand for MTs, but not for AMERICAN MTs. The transcription companies just can't get rid of us fast enough, because they have a strong aversion to paying a living wage, or even MINIMUM wage! No, all they want are offshore MTs.

Working from home is not the big "perk" it's cracked up to be. What you may save on gas, business clothing and pantyhose, you'll end up spending on utilities to run your equipment and keep yourself warm or cool.

Transcription has devolved from a keyboarding job to a voice-recognition editing job. Your typing skills will suffer greatly, and should you decide after a few years that MT is not for you, and you want to get back into a business office again, you'll be as appalled as I was to discover how rusty your keyboarding skills have become. (That's what I've gone back to school to re-learn, in addition to updating my skills from Stone Age to 2013.)

That's the other problem with working from home - often the employer uses an ancient version of MS Office or Word. There's nothing wrong with that, unless you apply for a job, like I did, that requires extensive knowledge of MS Office Suite 2010. When I took their pre-employment skills assessment, the computer screens might as well have been written in Chinese, for all I could understand them! And before VR-editing, my wpm typing speed was in the high 80's. When I tested recently, it was 40!

If I had a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, I sure wouldn't waste one dime, or one minute of my time learning medical transcription.

going back to school at 63 - Effie

[ In Reply To ..]
Any ideas of what kind of field to go into ??? I am 57 and will probably shortly be losing my hospital MT job.. I have been an MT for 33 years.. I can't put my mind around doing anything else. I have tons of college credits but no degree.. and I have grandchildren I am raising...

57! You're just a kid! ;D My current goal of re-learning - MS Office, keyboarding, etc., and - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
then things like Powerpoint, Access, Excel, and maybe a bookkeeping course, is to have the ability to operate PCs and these updated tools that are needed in just about every office setting (except MT, of course) these days.

I no longer even care about staying in the medical field, and in fact, think it will be wise to get out. Even a plain old receptionist job would pay far better than MT, and usually involves advanced word-processing skills, since often receptionists have to wear a lot of hats, not just answer phones. Same with secretaries, and general office workers. I've already had a part-time job offer for my future Powerpoint skills. A friend for whom I'm doing some general transcription on a biography she's writing is going to eventually publish a book, and wants me to do the typesetting, editing and photo placement. And that job could lead to others.

Depending on what type of college credits you have (Biology, Math, Business, Politics, Theatre, or whatever), you could always continue on with more credits along those lines if you think it would open up a new career for you. Or, just sharpening up existing computer, word processing and business skills could land you an Administrative or Executive Assistant position. I'm kind of leaning in that direction, but at this point, can afford to lower my sites, as just about ANY job (including flipping burgers) pays better than MT in its current form.

On a happy note - I'm actually enjoying my classes and going to school! I hated school my entire life, and dragged my feet for the last 4 years about going back, even though friends were suggesting I go back to school. I'm doing on-site classes at an adult school, rather than online, because it keeps me more focused, gets me out of the house, and is retraining my ability to get up in the morning. (Formerly, I slept until about 11:30 every morning, since I work a very late swing shift). So those are all plusses.

Anyway, since I don't really know enough yet to give much in the way of advice, my best advice is to learn as many computer programs as possible, so you'll have a lot of skills to offer some LUCKY employer in the future.

Good luck!

working from home isn't all it's cracked up to be - Des (long post)

[ In Reply To ..]
Lots of MTs who've been working from home for years have let their wardrobes lapse, have lost their customer service and other people skills, have gained weight, have developed social anxiety, and are now finding it difficult getting back into the public workforce.

You should also be aware that just because you're working from home, doesn't mean you can "multitask" home duties with MT'ing. In fact, a newbie most certainly CANNOT do this. MT requires intense concentration, education, focus, and skill, and it's NOT some easy peasy job in which all we do is type what we hear.

These MT schools are still using the same old lure of big bucks working part-time. THERE'S NO SUCH THING! A newbie MT can expect to get at best minimum wage for the first several months to indefinitely, and benefits are iffy, too.

Furthermore, once you graduate, you'll be competing with MTs who have decades of experience. Newbie MTs (even though having graduated from an excellent MT course) still require heavy training and supervision from employers; and since employers have lots of experienced MTs to choose from, why in the world would they spend the money and time on a newbie.

Back to the working from home... Go online right now to any MT employer and see if it'll let you take their MT test, just to get a feel of what you'll be doing.

Also remember, there's no guarantee of work or pay with MT, regardless of what recruiters say. Recruiters work on production, too. Think of them as car salesmen. They'll tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get you to agree to whatever they're offering.

About that no guarantee of pay... MTs get paid by the line, not hourly. If you're not putting characters on the page, you're NOT GETTING PAID. It doesn't matter what you're doing -- e.g. looking up doctor names, nursing home names, hospital names, city names, medical terms, client specifications and instructions, etc. -- you're not getting paid for this work. These MTSOs have us jumping from client to client just to keep us working, and that means constantly looking up names and reviewing specs which is all UNPAID WORK, but still has to be done.

Bottom line, MT is great, if you don't mind stressful, demeaning, life-sucking work for bargan basement wages. Though, on the plus side, you do still get to work from home, oh, but that means you'll be supplying your own home office, purchasing your own reference books, computer, monitor, antivirus software, keyboard, foot pedal, headphones, mouse, and anything else the employer is going to tell you you'll need. Some employers will provide you with a computer and monitor, but be prepared to do without money if these break down, because while they might send you a replacement, it'll take a couple of days and in the meantime you're not working so you're not getting paid.

There are happy MTs still out there, those who are getting the higher line rates simply because they started with that company years ago and are lucky enough to still be on the same clients, but those who are just recently getting outsourced or those who are trying to find better employment are getting the bottom of the barrel, even those of us with many, many years of experience.

Given the degrees you already have, I'd wholeheartedly suggest that you choose something else. If you go over to the Job Seakers board, it might look like there are lots of MT jobs available, but there used to be tons more than that not too long ago, and each and every one of those employers is getting hundreds, if not thousands, of resumes for each posting. You'll also notice that none want to hire newbies.

MT is changing, just like all the other factory jobs that are now being done overseas.

You'd be better served by getting CNA (certified nursing aide) training and then going to work in a medical office as a medical assistant. The pay is much higher than you'll ever get in MT, and the job satisfaction and recognition will definitely be higher.

(sorry for the long post)

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! - H

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless you're going to work in-house somewhere. MTSO's are greedy, they offshore everything overseas where they can pay people peanuts to do the work, and you end up with crappy pay and/or no work available. You don't make enough money to put away for retirement or anything.

If you want to be at home, you'd be better off to run a babysitting service.

Hmm . . . thinking . . . thinking . . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Is your main goal to find a "work at home" job? And why?

There ARE a lot of worthwhile REMOTE jobs now, but "work at home" is becoming synonymous with "envelope stuffing at home." That is to say that you need to be established in a good career field FIRST and then begin working remotely.

Right now, MT is not that career field. I would not recommend getting into MT just because you want to work at home. MTs are not doing well, particularly the at-home ones. They work for MTSOs who offshore work to third-world nations, require them to sit around for hours waiting for work that never comes, and pay them pitiful amounts. Regardless of whether the volume of work is decreasing or not, the pay definitely has decreased to poverty-level amounts.

You would do better to find another career and to hold off on your desire to work "at home" until you are established in it.

If you want to get into something medical that MIGHT have an at-home possibility eventually, there is one option that might suit you. With your existing bachelor's degree, IF it is from a regionally-accredited institution, you could do a postbaccalaureate certificate in health information administration (CHIA) from the University of Toledo in (for you) about a year and half. It usually takes a year, but you might need to take courses in anatomy and other prerequisites first. That would allow you to sit for the RHIA exam. You could then work in health information administration at hospitals and other medical care entities. You could code, or be a privacy officer, or something like that.

The pay for those jobs is very good and much more than you could get working "at home" in MT and many other fields. Check the salary surveys on the AHIMA website, and also the salary surveys on the AAPC website.

This isn't suggesting that you become a coder, either. It's just suggesting that IF you want something medical, and IF you are willing to retrain, you might consider health information administration.

MT is no longer a viable career. It has always been dead-end . . . no place to move laterally, no place to move upwards. Particularly if you are working for an MTSO, rather than a hospital, there is no way to move into other types of jobs. You're stuck. And now, you'll be stuck in a terrible job.

MTs everywhere have been getting out for the last 10 years, and those left are desperate to find other jobs and get out, too. Don't become one of them.

I want to do the opposite. sm - CrazyKat

[ In Reply To ..]
Been doing MT for 30 years at home, and want to go out and get an administrative assistant position..LOL!

I do know there are companies who hire employees for remote positions. If I were you, I would look for one of those in your field. It may depend on where you live, as in which state. I saw many for the Chicago area.

MT was a great little money making career in the past; however, now, it is not so good! But, this is coming from one who has worked at home for a very long time, raised my children, and now needs to get back out into an in-office job.

If you have been out in the office or corporate environment and want to work from home, you may feel differently.

Best advice is to look for a remote executive administrative position. They are out there. You will not make any money or have any health benefits doing MT at home that would be worth talking about.

Similar Messages:

Career Step - Has Anyone Heard Of This Online School?
Jun 23, 2010

Has anyone heard of this online school?  They say the are one of the best and have most job placement with the big MT employers.  Can anyone tell me anything about this school.  I know they all say they are the best.  Is there something in particular that I should look for in a school as far as their teaching techniques?  I read something about SUM, is this the best teaching program out there? ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Online Or At School
Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial. ...

What Online School Is Better???
Apr 24, 2012

I am wondering if a nationally accrediting school is better then just a regular accredited schooling?? Thanks ...

How Difficult Is An Online MT School?
Dec 23, 2009

I'm seriously considering enrolling at one of the "top two" MT online schools.  I'm good at English grammar, spelling, type over 100 wpm with 98% accuracy, a perfectionist, and am also very focused.  I do have a full-time job, but can easily devote evenings and time on the weekends to complete the course.  I'm up for a challenge, but after doing quite a bit of research, this sounds really difficult.  Feedback please! ...

Anyone Here Going Back To School Online
Oct 21, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here is going back to school for something else, but taking classes online.  I need to find a good online school as we only have one vehicle and my husband is using it to commute back and forth to work in another city.  If you are going back to school, what are you going for? Thanks ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

What Is Best Medical Transcription School Online
Nov 27, 2011

Hi, I would like to know what is the best online medical transcription school. Thanks in advance for reply. dce ...

Best School To Get Online Bacherlor's In RHIA Besides WGU?
Jul 25, 2013

Which school (that offers the program online) is the best to get an RHIA besides Western Governor's University? I'm not interested in going there. ...

Possible Career Change
Jun 25, 2011

I am considering taking classes for MT as I am ready for a change in my life. As I am looking into MT I have come across several questions that I want to ask to save myself the stress, etc. of preparing to start something that may not be what I am looking for. I see the different schools listed that others have recommended and yet I also see where my local community college offers course in MT. In your opinion would the courses there be suffice to work as a MT? For those working as MT, what do ...

Looking Into Career Change From MT
Jul 10, 2012

I've been doing medical transcription for 17 years now.  It used to be a good field to get into and good pay, but as the medical transcription field seems to be slowly phasing out and it's getting harder to make a decent living as we are getting lower wages and less work, I've been thinking about going back to school and getting a bachelor's in health informatation managment or administration.  I already have an assosciate's degree, but I would like to know wha ...

Looking For Career Change
Dec 16, 2012

I have been doing transcription for 30 years. I am fed up with it. I started working in a hospital and was making $17 an hr when they decided to lay us off. Then we went contract with the company the hospital was using at .10 cpl. Then, in October, we found out that Nuance had taken over. Now I am making .8 cpl. I want to make a career change. I have been sending out applications since August, probably close to 30 or more, with no interviews at all, no calls, nothing. I think all they see is all ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Finding An Online Medical Transcription School To Go To
Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet.. ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Considering A Career Change...any Advice?
Dec 15, 2009

I've finally made myself accept the fact that medical transcription is never going to return to its former state and have been wondering in what other field I have an interest and could once again earn a decent living. Does anyone on the forum have any paralegal or legal secretary experience?  I've been researching this field online and have found a few on-line courses but, as with MT, I know I have to be really careful which course I choose and from whom.  If anyone h ...

MT As Career Change Choice
Sep 06, 2010

Hi,  I hope you don't mind a visitor from the outside I'm here because I need to change careers. I'm 59 , female, single, and have done one career all my life which has been clinical social work/mental health counseling.  I'm burned out with this career and alot has indicated that medical transcription might suit me.  Where do I begin? What training do I need? Do I need training at all? (this may sound dumb) What schools are the best? Online versus ...

Advice On Career Change
Aug 24, 2011

I've been a medical transcriptionst for 25 years (most of that time working at home)...I can't believe how much money I am losing....I used to think that I would never go back into an office/hospital to work because I wouldn't be making enough money.  Now, I am at my wits end.  My pay has literally been cut in half, no thanks to EMR/VR.  I am at a loss as to what to do...should I change careers (at age 49) or keep doing what I'm doing, while getting further and ...

Career Change Back To MT?
Sep 24, 2011

I was a medical transcriptionist for 9 years, working from home.  Two years ago, I left the field and took an opportunity elsewhere.  At the time, it was a better opportunity financially.  It turns out that this position is not what I thought it was going to be.  The money is nice, but the stress and the job itself are making me miserable!  When I quit transcribing 2 years ago, I was making about 0.9 cents/line and only working part-time.  My current position pays a ...

New MT Thinking Of Career Change...
Jan 29, 2012

I have been working at an OBGYN office for 10 months now and for reasons I'd rather not get into, I am having issues with my MT supervisor. I love MT work. I do feel it is the right niche for me. However, my LPH is under 100 and I do not feel that I am getting enough work to improve my speed. I am still new and still learning. I'm starting to wonder if I might be better off setting up a home office and trying to get on with a company like Medquist or something. I am getting paid on ...

Career Change Advice
Jun 06, 2012

Hello!  I just found this board and am hoping for some advice.  I will give you some background information first.  I am a LPN, but have been a SAHM only for nearly 4 years.  I actually left the profession because of burn-out, and my husbands job allowed be to stay home.  I love being home, but I'm feeling a bit restless.  I'd like to start contributing a bit financially, without huge committments.  (I am VP of my kids' PTA and I keep plenty busy in many aspects). Last w ...

2 Jobs That Will Never Be Offshored...if You Want A Career Change
Jan 29, 2010

Makes sense to me; I'd opt to be an electrician (if I can't get on disability). Automotive technicians and mechanics repair and maintain automobiles and light trucks. Motorists need these services near their homes and businesses, meaning this hands-on work would be pretty hard for someone in another country to do. So rest easy. This job is staying close to home.  Training is a 6-month or 1-year automotive repair certificate program or a 2-year associate degree program.& ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

Current MT Needing Career Change
Aug 09, 2011

I've decided I am getting out of MTing.  The two options I am interested are completely different yet in the medical field which I love.  First is health information management, 2-year degree.  Would like to be a coder but worried it will end up like MT in 10 years.  Second is becoming an LPN and then down the road an RN.  I am in my early 30s and I've got a long work life ahead of me but want to be happy!  Which way to go? ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

Career Change To Massage Therapist Suggestion
Mar 06, 2014

My son is attending massage therapy training and will be done the end of June. He will be making more money than I will be once working. It only took a year. He is going for another year to earn an AA, but will start working and go to school at night. It's kind of expensive, but I think it would be a rewarding career. There is an extensive anatomy course that we MTs would breeze through, so I thought I would pass this suggestion on. I realize some of you are in remote areas and thi ...

Beware Any Of These Coaches For Career Or Life Change.
Mar 11, 2015

The last one on here wanted to charge $497 for a 3-month package of some junk book and phone coaching and followup coaching sessions.  I've got her email.  I'd hate to find out what her "expanded " package costs.  You can find all the same information on line yourself for free.  How much time have you already spent job searching on line?   Don't waste your money with these people and your time.  Use your time wisely yourself. You could also lik ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Does Anyone Know If U.S. Career Institute Is An Actual Acredited MT School?
Jan 04, 2012

I have completed a course in medical transcriptioning in a school thats called U.S. Career Institute and was woundering if I just got hoaxed or if it was a real school. If anybody knows I would appraciate it having difficulties finding a job. ...