A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

which online coding program - Juno

Posted: Aug 17, 2010

How does one know which online coding program to take when they all seem pretty good, besides the price difference? I specifically want to know about AHIMA or Career Step from someone who has graduated and found a job. I know they have testimonials on their website, but how does one really know?  I was thinking about either their program or the one from AHIMA, which seems a lot longer, but apparently with either you will be able to sit for the credentialing exam, and they seem to be close in price, especially since I have to take Human Anatomy and Physiology with the one from AHIMA before I even apply to the coding program. Thanks  

Coding programs - Zenaida

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have a community college within a reasonable distance, I would check that out to compare price, time committment and content. The price will be much lower than the online programs and I believe almost all of them are certified by AHIMA. If a community college is out of the question, I would write to AHIMA and the American Academy of Professional Coders to see which online programs they have certified.

Coding programs - Juno

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks. I know there are none locally that are certified. I know the AHIMA has their own Basic Coding program but I'll check out American Academy of Professional Coders.

What really killed me is when I was googling Career Step, whose coding program is now in some community colleges, that the people at the college only have to pay about $350 while Career Step students have to pay $2000 and up.

Career Step - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in the Career Step program but will not graduate until January. You will still have to take anatomy and physiology through them, it is included in the course. I had read that they were trying the get AHIMA approval for their program but I don't know where they stand with that. Are you sure about $350? Does that price include the full course (books, coding labs and other reference materials)? I found it less expensive to do it directly through CS and I can work at my own pace.
Approvals - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Programs not affiliated with community colleges or other colleges that are accredited by certain organizations will be unable to get approval due to changes in AHIMA's requirements. Many previously approved online-type programs no longer seem to be listed. It appears that they have lost their approvals.

The list of approved programs is on the AHIMA website. There is no need to write to them.

AAPC does not accredit or approve coding programs, but does offer its own courses. Be aware that the AAPC courses cover only outpatient coding.
That is good to know, thank you - NM - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
XX

$350 or 2K - mtstudent

[ In Reply To ..]
The state of NC subsidizes the tuition for the cc courses. CS is getting more than the $350. There are some community colleges in other places where you pay MORE than CS 2K because they charge per credit hour and it is high if you are out of state.

If you do go through one of the NC cc that offer it I suggest using Fayetville. They allow you a full year to complete both parts. The one I used did not give the full year that Career Step allows. If life :) happens and you can't finish in the 16 weeks you will have the full year. You can also buy an extension from CS for $100 after the 1 year.
CS - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm half way through Career Step and did it through them privately. I work full time and can't imagine getting through that in 16 weeks, even as a full-time student. It's a 640-hour program which would mean 8 hours of study day, 5 days a week. The coding modules and practicum are going to take several months for me to complete. I can probably finish in 9 months and then plan to take the rest of the time for review before I take the final. They offer one extension for free.
16 weeks x 2 - mtstudent
[ In Reply To ..]
It is divided in two parts. Each part has to be done in 16 weeks.

Thanks for clarifying that - sm - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
That is definitely doable. I couldn't tell if you were already in a program. If not, be sure to consider the cost of books, AHA coding clinics, encoding software and other reference materials. Out of curiosity I accessed the community college web site that offers the program I am currently enrolled in (directly through the school). They do not provide the books (my program furnished it all) and the tuition was still more than double what I paid. There are other threads on this board in regard to this. What may seem cheap could have hidden costs, just something to consider.
program - mtstudent
[ In Reply To ..]
I am in the coding program through Fayetville/CS. I am in the first part now. I don't know what the AHA coding clinics are? I did get a med dictionary (what is that for besides a bug crusher :D) and a drug book. I didn't buy the text upgrade.
I plan to start part 2 with the October class - it starts with the "Diagnostic Coding with ICD-9-CM, Block 1." They are supposed to send me another book then.
I wish I had done the MT course with Fayetville. I tried to do it twice with Peidmont but could not finish. If I had gone with Fayetville I would have had the full year like I have with the coding course. I was just giving a heads up for others since it was brought up about the $350 programs. Thank you too for the heads up about the extra costs. :)
Off to search google about the AHA clinics!
Program - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I am doing the inpatient and outpatient program through CS. I actually do use my hard copy Dorland's. We also have an electronic version, an electronic Merck manual and a drug book, the coding clinics I mentioned (you'll find out about those when you start block I), encoder software and quite a few other E-learning materials included in our course. I take my Block I final tonight. The coding part is quite challenging but I think you'll enjoy it, good luck.
thank you for the info! - mtstudent
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the information! I'm working my way through the 2 A&P modules. I did the 3 med vocab modules first as I remembered it from the transcription course. It was called "word building" there. The A&P was in that course too but I don't have all the spellings memorized so it's taking time again.
I can't seem to get enough done at home. I work at home but school work is different for some reason. I have to go to the library to focus or my else my son drives me up a wall. He gets on his own computer at the library and I can focus.

You will do great tonight!!
Info - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
That explains why you were not aware of the coding clinics yet, they introduce that a little at a time when you start Block #1. I got through the vocabulary nodules pretty quickly, the A & P does take some time. I'm off to take my exam, hope you enjoy the classes.
The quality of the books and materials is more important than anything - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
There are industry standards or I guess you would call them classics. Some programs use those and some make it up as they go along.

Similar Messages:

One Thing I Wish For Online Coding Program
Jun 07, 2012

I am currently attending Andrews School's coding program and I truly do love it.  There are still some things that confuse me a bit and sometimes I have wished there were "training" or lecture videos.  By taking this course, I have realized that I am a visual learner and have found that just by having to read everything, sometimes I have to go over it and over it to make sense of it, which then sets me back as far as time and then I have to rush to get all of my assignments comple ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Online Program Where You Can Take An Editing Course?
Nov 18, 2011

Does anyone know of an online program where you can take an editing course? ...

Online Universities For Coding?
May 07, 2010

I have found at least 5 dozen on line colleges for medical coding and I can find Pros and Cons for all.  Just wondering if there were any students here currently utilizing on line colleges or programs for medical coding, or if anyone has any experiencing completing one. Thanks! ...

Can You Take Online Classes For Coding?
Dec 20, 2010

I'm new to this board so bear with me.  Having been a MT forever it seems, I'm thinking of making a switch to coding. At one point I was even hired as an entry level coder, learning on the job, but when i position came open in transcription took that as it paid better. In hindsight wish I had stuck with the coding as then could have gone either or even both ways.  My problem would be having to actually "go" to a school in person , but i would want something reputable, not som ...

How To Pick An Online Coding Course
May 08, 2011

After 28 years of medical billing I am ready for a change.  I've been researching online coding courses but there are so many!  I would be interested in any feedback you have on which courses you took and the pros and cons of each.  Thank you for your input. ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...

Best Online Coding Classes
Mar 06, 2013

I am very interested in getting into coding/billing field. I am retired medical transcriptionist. I am looking for advise on schools, what to look for in a school and requirements. I would really like to take classes online. ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

CTC Coding Online Training
Dec 15, 2014

I am looking at various online options and have found CTC through the AAPC website.  I was hoping someone might have some experience or knowledge of this training program that they would be willing to share.  TIA! ...

Looking For A Good Online Coding College
Jul 17, 2012

After much research i had decided on taking coding classes through Andrew College. Unfortunately since they are not an acredited college Vocational Rehab will not help pay. Can anyone recommend a good acredited college or one that accepts FASA grants? Looking to take online courses or classes in Ft. Wayne, IN. ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

Schooling - Good Online Coding Classes? 
Jan 21, 2010

Any recommendations on good online coding classes?  ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

I Am Almost Done With My Coding Program But
Sep 22, 2011

now I don't know if I want to be a coder :(.  I planned on taking the CPC and then after a few years taking the CCS.  Before I started my program, I was naive and didn't realize how difficult and complex coding is.  I don't know that I can sit in front of a computer for 8 hours and code all day long.  It's almost too much like MTing (desk work, I mean).  Plus, I am not confident in my ability to even pass the CPC.  I am not very satisfied with th ...

Does Anyone Know If The Andrews Coding Program...sm
Dec 09, 2010

offers training of the 3M encoding software?  I read that Career Step does and when I look at most coding jobs, they require training and experience using 3M encoding software.  Thanks for your help! ...

AHDPG Coding Program
Jan 18, 2012

Has anyone attended thisl AHDPG coding program?  I see they are recommended by AAPC.  I am a little leary of them as I have never heard of them  before. ...

Question About A Particular Coding Program
Sep 07, 2012

I am looking for a medical coding program and have been checking into various ones. I came across this one and it seems too good to be true. All others have been at least $1000 but usually more than that. This programs states it is only $349 for a 6 month indepth course. You can find it at www.medicalcodingpro.com or just google Medical Coding Pro. My concern is, does this program really train you from scratch or is it meant as a refresher course for people who have worked in this field pr ...

Is It Important To Take A Coding Program That Is
Jul 29, 2013

or does it mostly boil down to going to a school with a good curriculum and then getting a certification? I'm trying to decide between a community college program and Career Step.  The community college program, I won't be able to graduate from until 2015, which seems like forever, but with Career Step, I could be done in a year from now.  Career Step is AHIMA approved, and MModal (my current employer) told me that the AHIMA approval is important. ...

CPC/CCS Coding Program Other Than Andrews
Sep 03, 2013

Does anyone know of a (non-degree) program other than Andrews that upon completion will allow you to be eligible to sit for the CCS and CPC exam. I have researched the Andrews program and think it sounds great and comes with awesome recommendations from this board. I just want to explore any other options available before I take the plunge. Not necessarily needing a degree, already have Masters in Health Administration. Thanks so much. ...

Coding Program And FT/PT Status . Wonder
Mar 11, 2014

If chosen for this program and moving down to PT production, I wonder if you are then considered PT and will lose health benefits? Has anyone inquired about this yet? ...

MM Coding Program Questions
May 08, 2014

For those of you in the HDS2Coder program, how do you like it?  Would you recommend it to other MM employees?  Is it harder than you expected or take up more of your time than expected?  I'm just wanting to know how you all are doing in there in case they offer the program again in July.  Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on!! ...

Coding Program Stopped
May 14, 2014

Just got an email from our manager saying they are stopping the program for the next week or so until they get the bugs worked out.   We are supposed to type until they figure out their next step.  Some of the students still don't have the encoder program.  I think a big part of it is because of the ruling to delay ICD9.  Who knows if it will start back up again.     Will keep you guys posted.  ...

If Coding Program Is Offered Again, DON'T DO IT!
Dec 09, 2014

MTs, if MModal offers this coding program again, don't do it...it is now 10 months into a 3 month program and has again been pushed back by another 2 months...they make it look good with guaranteed employment and dangling bonuses at you, but don't be fooled..they have no intension of ever paying you or moving you into the job...this is just to dangle in front of customers to say "hire us, we are cutting edge!" ...

In Coding Program...question
Dec 11, 2014

I am getting a little overwhelmed with the manual side of coding. The beginning part of the course was a breeze because it was all medical terms and anatomy. The coding part just seems overwhelming. Is working in real life easier with the encoder than it is manually looking up a code? ...

Any Word On The Coding Program?
Feb 28, 2015

I asked the coding board and just got crickets.  I was hoping that they would do another round and I could give the test a try.  I heard from a coworker who heard from another coworker who heard from one of the coders in training that they recently dropped the program.  I'm not sure if I believe it or not as it would be all over this board I would think.   ...

To Those Who Were In The Coding Program That Was Cancelled
Apr 10, 2015

To those of you who were in that huge coding training program that was canceled recently, have you given up on coding or enrolled in another program? What did you decide to do? ...

I Want To Consider Going To Andrews For Their Coding Program
Apr 27, 2015

and I think I'd enjoy the job (after researching for the past year). I really want to do something interesting for the rest of my working life (and still have a career rather than just a job like I do now), but now I'm starting to wonder if I am too old at 58.  I guess I'd get through the schooling in about 12 months, then take the CCS exam (takes time?) and then I say give myself up to a year to find a job (??).  That would mean I could be pushing 60 when I began.  ...