A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How Difficult is an Online MT School? - Ashlyn

Posted: Dec 23, 2009

I'm seriously considering enrolling at one of the "top two" MT online schools.  I'm good at English grammar, spelling, type over 100 wpm with 98% accuracy, a perfectionist, and am also very focused.  I do have a full-time job, but can easily devote evenings and time on the weekends to complete the course.  I'm up for a challenge, but after doing quite a bit of research, this sounds really difficult.  Feedback please!

How Difficult is an Online MT School? - eagles_fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm currently taking the Andrews course, and I highly recommend it. I'm in the final module of the course.

The course is designed for people with no MT experience. They teach you everything you need to know. The course covers medical terminology in many specialties. You will do a lot of transcribing. The teachers give very clear feedback when they correct your work. There are also graded quizzes on medical terminology. The school has message boards where teachers and students can communicate. You can also email the school with any questions. The teachers and students are very helpful and supportive.

The tuition includes a foot pedal for your computer, reference books, and CDs for you to transcribe.

I'm glad you said you're a perfectionist and very focused. Your skills sound good. Doing well in the course while working full-time will be a challenge, but it is worth it.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck :-)

How Difficult is an Online MT School? - Ashlyn

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your reply, eagles_fan. Andrews is the school I am seriously considering, and it's great to hear that you have had such a positive experience with their MT course. :)

Thank you again and congratulations on your upcoming graduation!

Andrews - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I also attended Andrews and was working a full-time job at the same time. You will need to devote all your spare time to your studies and treat school as if it were a 2nd full-time job. The results are very much worth it. I was able to complete the course in less than a year. If you are focused and gave good time-management skills, you should do fine.

Good luck to you!

It shouldn't be the school you should worry about - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
but getting a job afterwards, especially as a noob. And the way this industry is going down the drain? Read the board carefully for current MT opinions and their experiences before you decide to waste your money on any MT school.

I'm going to tech school and getting out of MT.

Not too bad - Shas

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not as hard as it seems when you do start working. You jump so much in the schooling from one Dr. to another, I thought it was a lot harder to do the schooling then it was work. I went through Allied and I it was quick, but I did not like the help or lack there of, from the teachers. If you just focus on getting it done and start working though, you should be fine.

Shas

Work world much more difficult - Newatthis

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you're up for the challenge; I also type 110-120 wpm, am university educated, etc etc - and I found the course relatively easy (I also work full-time and did it on week-ends and evenings) - but when I started working, what a shock. I was assigned to an acute-care account, lots of different dictators, lots of ESL, lots of specialties, and felt very unprepared. I am always envious when I read of people who found the working world easier than the course. I certainly did not. After 6 months of working, I do feel that my skills have improved tremendously. I would say, go for it, don't worry, but practice a great deal. Maybe I didn't practice enough (though I did very well in the course). If I had to do it over again, I would have been more conscientious during the dictation portion of the course.

Attending MTEC - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I find this course to be very difficult and I have always done well at previous schools (3.9 average). They have now shortened their program that you have to complete it within 9 months which I think would be difficult to do.

Mtec - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I had a 3.8 GPA at university, have always done well in school, but my early grades at MTEC were abysmal. It's really tough to learn how to transcribe when the answer keys have wrong answers, too, because then you do things wrong on the tests. Of course, some people on the forums say they got a 99% grade for the whole course, so who knows.

Similar Messages:

Online Or At School
Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial. ...

What Online School Is Better???
Apr 24, 2012

I am wondering if a nationally accrediting school is better then just a regular accredited schooling?? Thanks ...

Anyone Here Going Back To School Online
Oct 21, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here is going back to school for something else, but taking classes online.  I need to find a good online school as we only have one vehicle and my husband is using it to commute back and forth to work in another city.  If you are going back to school, what are you going for? Thanks ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

What Is Best Medical Transcription School Online
Nov 27, 2011

Hi, I would like to know what is the best online medical transcription school. Thanks in advance for reply. dce ...

Online School & Career Change At 40
Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)??? ...

Best School To Get Online Bacherlor's In RHIA Besides WGU?
Jul 25, 2013

Which school (that offers the program online) is the best to get an RHIA besides Western Governor's University? I'm not interested in going there. ...

Career Step - Has Anyone Heard Of This Online School?
Jun 23, 2010

Has anyone heard of this online school?  They say the are one of the best and have most job placement with the big MT employers.  Can anyone tell me anything about this school.  I know they all say they are the best.  Is there something in particular that I should look for in a school as far as their teaching techniques?  I read something about SUM, is this the best teaching program out there? ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Finding An Online Medical Transcription School To Go To
Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet.. ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

I Have A Question. I Work For A Very Difficult Account With Very Difficult ESLs. Other People Have
Jan 30, 2014

to dump these reports so the owner doesnt have to pay QA for them because they cant do them at all.  They QA the whole report almost.  I am totally burnt out with this and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there. ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Anyone Else's Job Getting More Difficult
May 27, 2015

My account went to Epic, not the first time I've lost an account to Epic, so I should be used to this by now.  All these little partial dictations of a couple lines or less makes it extremely hard to get a decent line count/make money (!). That, in addition to no punctuation and apparently the speech rec engine has to start "learning" the dictators all over again.  It's just horrible.  Words of support or encouragement desperately needed. ...

VR-How Difficult Would It Be To Get An Account Where...sm
May 25, 2010

you just edited their VR program?  What software would you need/use and how would they send it to you, etc.  Moving out-of-state and thinking of ways to get new business.  Thanks in advance for any help! ...

Difficult Dictation
Jul 12, 2011

Can someone please advise how to handle one physician in practice who mumbles and rambles?  I believe someone has spoken to him before, but it has not gotten better.  I have many years of experience, but must leave many blanks in his dictation.  This is very frustrating and time consuming for me.  Thanks ...

Difficult To Understand...
Aug 02, 2011

Just sitting here laughing to myself as I listen to an ESL dictator that I've had report after report by, heavy accent, talking about how difficult it was for him to get an exam done with a patient who is "difficult to understand due to language barrier."  HA!!!!  Welcome to my world. ...

CMT Exam - How Difficult It Really Is
Sep 30, 2011

I've worked as an MT for 10+ years, but haven't taken the CMT exam. I'm wondering how difficult it really is. Do I need to study for a month straight or is it fairly easy? ...

Is Radiology Difficult?
Oct 20, 2011

I have done everything else in tier 2, but I have only done a few radiology reports a long time ago, can't remember.  What's radiology like? ...

Difficult Dictators
Oct 26, 2014

As above, I hope in the future this particular issue could be addressed.  This problem is already escalating (at least from where I am now).  This was made even worse by the advent of the SR system.  So, probably some form of counseling or even penalty (major or minor) can be imposed on the dictator if he/she fails to comply.  Coz the way I see it producing a good or even the best transcript is not just the MT's responsibility, but also the dictator's.  I hope these dictators do e ...

How Difficult Is Andrews?
May 03, 2015

I am an MT, I am 51, I haven't been in school for over 30 years.  I know there was a discussion below about being too old to start school.  But I wonder from the MTs who did this in their 50s, did you have trouble with the work?  I am not stupid, I don't feel that I am too old, but I am afraid that I won't be able to do it.  Just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.  Please no comments about if I don't think I can do it, I won't be abl ...

Remember When The Difficult Dictators
Mar 02, 2010

were supposed to be paid more for doing?  MQ knows exactly what it is doing and knows very well that things need to be sent to QA.  This is nothing but a reason to drop our wages to Indian wages, they have no respect for us at all.  They are now putting these rules on us, THEY ARE, and then saying it is totally on the MTs shoulder for anything that goes wrong.  Is this legal?  ...

FTR...highly Difficult Dictator
Mar 15, 2010

First day for me beginning FTR.  Started out very well, no markers, then BOOM!!.....right into one of the most difficult doctors.  Ugh!  This is one we discussed in our "conference call" for FTR.  This is frustrating because we were told that it does not matter how difficult the dictator is, there will be no exception as to sending anything to QA.  I'm sitting here with about 8 blanks yet to fill...unsure what to do. First time to post on this board, but I've ...

ESL Dictators - Difficult Enough To Understand
Nov 30, 2010

It is difficult enough to understand some of the foreign dictators but when they dictate with monitors beeping, nurses and doctors talking, in the middle of their lunch -brups/cruch/slurp and then they WHISPER ... UGH!!!  It sure makes for a long, long work day!  Just once I would love for a manager to send that message to the hospital to please ask the doctor to either speak up or move to a quieter place to dictate ... alas that never happens and we suffer through the report ... but at lea ...

Any MTs In California Who Have Found It Difficult To
May 09, 2011

find an MT job?  I'm currently with a horrible company (you guessed it, starts with M)...and would like to try elsewhere, but I am worried that another MTSO won't hire MTs in California anymore because of their strict employee laws (which are fair to the employee but I'm sure employers don't like)...... So, any CA MTs out there who found a job fairly easily recently?  Thanks in advance for any replies.  ...

Inscribe Good?  Difficult?
Sep 13, 2011

Anyone ever work for Inscribe?  Good?  Difficult?  Helpful?  Accommodating?  Pay on time?  etc.    ...

Need Help With Word But Context Is Difficult - Sm
Apr 30, 2012

Hope someone can help.  This doc is very meandering with his dictation, but so far he states that the patient has insomnia, sleeps with her mouth open, and has noisy GI sounds.  Then he dictates: She has a number of relatives that have had s/l gambla phlebitis.  Does anyone know what this is and how it's spelled.  Appreciate any help! ...