A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding Schools--online or local community college? Andrews or M-TEC? - aeades

Posted: Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks

Andrews School - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
The Andrews School is an extensive program using all books and taking the tests/exams online. There are instructors which grade your Assignments and answer any questions you might have about your assignments or exam. The questions are answered through email. I am taking Coding and I find it to be interesting and challenging.

RE: - aeades

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you Kat! Do you enjoy doing it and are the instructors good and work with you and such??

Andrews School - kat

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I enjoy this program. There is a lot of work involved. The instructors answer any questions via email.
Kat how much time do you spend on it each week? - Are you working and doing you schooling part-time
[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious as you said there is alot of work involved, as to how much time you spend each day on it? I hope I can do it. I have heard it is extremely hard? Thanks for answering my questions. It is greatly appreciated :)
Andrews School - Kat
[ In Reply To ..]
I work full time. I average one to two hours each evening. I study four days a week and I do a large part of my studying on the weekends. The instructors grade your assignments and the tests/exams are completed online. I hope this helps.

M-Tec - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
M-Tec does not teach coding, they are a medical transcription school. Andrews has a good reputation, as do AAPC and AHIMA. Attending a community college would depend on the curriculum, the instructors and your learning style. Some people like independent study at home, some people do better when they interact with other students. Only you can make the decision about what is best for you.

Do not assume that a community college - teaches classes in person

[ In Reply To ..]
Or that they have qualifed instructors.

Most of them now teach online anyway . . . the "teaching" is done by online teaching modules produced by book publishers. There are usually no in-person classes.

Instructors are hired based on having an RHIT or RHIA. Neither college I attended had anyone with coding experience for any coding-related classes. It was horrible.

Be aware that a lot of other "online" "schools" are teaching using those same teaching modules and without qualified instructors. It's the same situation we had in MT with matchbook schools. They're the same matchbook schools, in fact, with a lot more jumping on the bandwagon. That kind of preparation isn't going to get you much.

Andrews has qualified, experienced instructors who provide extensive support and personal attention. I recommend them.

Similar Messages:

Just Got Our Brochure From Our Local Community College
Aug 22, 2013

While purusing the classes offered, looking for possibly a career change, lo and behold, no MT classes being offered any longer. Coding, yes.  CNA, yes. In home caregiver, yes. Nail tech, yes. .....  MT, no.  Thinking of real estate now as there is an upswing in that direction. ...

I Applied For Financial Aid At My Local Community College Yesterday
Jun 22, 2012

I'm taking my first steps to get out of this field - I'm 48 years old, I've dedicated myself to Medquist/MModal for 16 years of my life and I am making less today than my 15-year-old son who just got his very first job.  In my lifetime, I never thought I would be 48 years old, on Food Stamps and barely making minimum wage in a field I gave nearly half my life to.  It is a complete insult. I've been going around and around in my head how to get out of this fiel ...

Community College Vs. M-Tec/Andrews
Feb 11, 2011

Is it better to go with the tried-and-true Andrews or M-tec as opposed to a local community college that offers MT courses? I was thinking it would be better to stick with the former, but was intrigued by the fact that the local junior college seems to be promising "internships". I'm not 100 percent sure yet, as the informational meeting isn't until the beginning of March, but wondered what the prevailing wisdom might be on the subject. Thanks in advance for any info. ...

Can I Transfer Credits From Andrews School To A Local College?
May 09, 2010

For 3800.00 I would think they should be accredited most definitely.  ...

Looking For A Good Online Coding College
Jul 17, 2012

After much research i had decided on taking coding classes through Andrew College. Unfortunately since they are not an acredited college Vocational Rehab will not help pay. Can anyone recommend a good acredited college or one that accepts FASA grants? Looking to take online courses or classes in Ft. Wayne, IN. ...

Coding Schools - Andrews
Jul 14, 2011

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Andrews. I went through their medical transcription training course and did very well with my job search. Based on my training at Andrews, I have not had a problem with employment tests, passing the RMT and CMT, etc., and with the coding program, as long as I study hard  and do the assignments, I believe that I will have the same experience. Based on the excellent training I received at Andrews, I am beginning to go through the coding course. The ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

Community College Program
Jan 18, 2015

I would like opinions on taking a coding program at a community college, then being properly prepared to become a successful coder and getting certified. Cost is important to me, which makes this an attractive option. What is the consensus about this? Thanks for your comments. ...

Ad Ran In Our Local Community Craig's List....
Mar 22, 2013

Am I right to think "they" don't know what an Independent Contractor is?  You can't tell someone what schedule to work if you are an IC?  Right??    REQUIREMENTS FOR INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR1. Be located and perform all work within the USA.2. You are an independent contractor providing transcription service to whomever wishes to contract with you, are familiar with IRS regulation regarding ICs, and meet those requirements/qualifications.3. You will perform all the w ...

Is Anyone Familiar With Everett Community College?
Apr 04, 2012

Ive heard many opinions on coding training at Andrews, Career step and community colleges. I have just come across EverettCC and their coding course is completely online (scheduled,not self-paced)and taught by teachers who are certified medical coders. Im just curious if anyone here has attended or heard about this school. ...

Apply At Local Universities And Community Colleges
Aug 01, 2012

Me again.  If you live anywhere near a university or community college, consider applying there for a job.  It will most likely be civil service, which means you will need to take a test to measure your skills, and then you will be ranked on the interview totem pole according to your test score and level of skills.  It's a fair process.  It doesn't matter who you know.  It only matters HOW MUCH you know.  At our local university, there are 2 clerical categ ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...

MT Online Schools
Apr 23, 2010

Hello im newly interested to getting certified as an MT and wanting to know about the Online schools that i can trust.   And if this career pays well and is worth getting into ???  Thanks for any input i do appreciate it. ...

Online Schools
Dec 07, 2010

I am interested in becoming a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering what online school you would recommend. Two that I saw that was interesting was FutureMT and CareerStep. I want to make sure I pick a good school so i can get a good foundation.Also how long did it take for you to finish school? I heard between 3-6 months. Thanks ...

Good Online Schools
Oct 12, 2011

Are there any schools/courses that I could take online for coding that would enable me to pass the CCS and CPC exams? ...

Online MT Courses/schools
Feb 19, 2012

As a current medical profressional I would like to make a career change and take an MT course. Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for in a school? ...

Online Schools For Transcription
Aug 04, 2012

I have been an MT for 4 years now and actually completed all my training at a local technical college.  Now, I find myself in a position to mentor some young Military Spouses regarding medical transcription and what online schools would be the better choice for completing a MT certification. I am not that familiar with the online options, so I was hoping to hear the good, the bad, and yes even the ugly about what is out there.  Our spouses have funding of around $4000 and ...

Medical Transcription Online Schools
Apr 26, 2011

I attended a seminar last night for an online medical transcription school.  The school providing the information was At-Home Professions out of Ft. Collins, CO.  After doing some research I have found that they may not give as intense of a schooling as others.  Can anyone give advice on this and/or which schools would provide a better education? ...

Online Schools For Transcription Courses
Jan 28, 2013

Can anyone here recommend a good online school... where I can take a Medical Transcriptionist Course... and actually get a job when I am finished the course???  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!! ...

Expert Opinions On Online Schools Please
Jan 07, 2015

I need some expert opinions please on online schools for both coding and billing courses for my daughter. She is looking into Andrews, Keiser, Rasmussen and Ashworth. We do understand these are separate courses, billing and coding. She is leaning toward Keiser University because they offer financial aid and assistance, however it is expensive. We have read the excellent reviews about Andrews but worry about no financial aid such as grants or student loans. Any help or opinions would be greatly a ...

Medical Transcription Schools CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec
Jan 19, 2010

3 schools were recommended, CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec, not sure which one to go with.  The tuition goes from $1875-$4975, I am curious why such a huge difference and what is the normal time frame for training.  Some say a 4 month program, a 6 month program & a 9 month program.  Any info is appreciated! Can anyone recommend one of these schools over the other? ...

AHIMA Or Andrews? Arent These Two Schools Both EQUAL?
May 16, 2010

I would think the AHIMA would be a great place to take the medical coding classes.  They are the ones giving the certification examination and certification. I dont hear many people enrolled in AHIMA Cluster Program for Medical Coding. I wonder why? seems so many people go off this board and then follow along. ...

Pls Share Opinions On Schools Andrews, Meditech And CareerStep
May 03, 2012

No msg. ...

Med Coding Local Chapters
Oct 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me where to go to find local chapters for medical coders/billers?  I want to attend a Chamber of Commerce meeting and/or ask one of the med coder chapter members what the prospects are for someone like me :  25+ years MT, completed Andrews course, got certified and need a job w/o experience.  (I am still an MT, but seriously want to get out and move forward with medical coding).  I don't want to put all my efforts and hard-earned $$ into something that wo ...

Has Anyone Gone To Heald College For Coding Training?
Nov 02, 2010

I've been going back and forth regarding which school to go to.  I'd prefer to do online training but would still like to have an instructor that I could ask questions of, speak to on the phone, etc.  I live in California in the central valley, anyone who has attended Heald college for coding I would love to hear from them. ...

Future Coding Student...question About College
Jul 12, 2013

Ok, so I thought I had made up my mind on attending Andrews, but there is a certificate course offered by a local college.  This is not a community college but Kent State University.  Now I am wondering, should I try to go through their course to earn actual college credits that will be transferrable to a degree someday or go through Andrews where I know for sure they will prepare me for the coding certifications??  HELP!!! ...

Coding Schools - Where Did YOU Go?
Jun 01, 2010

Okay, here we go again.....if anyone has attended a coding school in the last year, is attending a coding school, could you please post your thoughts (was it worth the money, quality, etc)?  I know several people are still on the fence as to whether to pay the large sum to go to a private school (Andrews, DeVry) or attend community colleges in preparation to take their credentials in coding.  I've been reading posts saying the education from all is basically the same, of course it ...

Coding Programs - Santa Barbara City College
May 20, 2010

I just registered for Santa Barbara City College's HIT program online.  Has anyone else taken their program?  I really needed to find a school that was accredited because I qualify for FAFSA to help me pay for it.  I looked into Andrews and also AHIMA, but all were WAY too expensive and you can't receive financial aid.  If anyone can give me information on the Santa Barbara courses, if you've taken it through them, please do!  Thanks!  (I'm ...

So Many Coding Schools..recommendations?
Jun 23, 2011

I'm one of many MTs who are considering coding. I want to do acute care coding, or hospital/surgical. I've spoke with Allied, AAPC, and both sound reasonable for CPC-H certification. Does anyone have any experiences with either or other schools/courses they will share? ...