A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Career Step - Has anyone heard of this online school? - wwdfly

Posted: Jun 23, 2010

Has anyone heard of this online school?  They say the are one of the best and have most job placement with the big MT employers.  Can anyone tell me anything about this school.  I know they all say they are the best.  Is there something in particular that I should look for in a school as far as their teaching techniques?  I read something about SUM, is this the best teaching program out there?

wwdfly - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, the SUM program is essential. In my opinion, the best schools (in the order in which I rank them) are:
1. Andrews.
2. M-TEC.

Good luck to you!

Career Step - wwdfly

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all for the information. You all have been very helpful and for someone who doesn't know the lingo or teaching techniques I really appreciate all the trade secrets to help me make the right decision when picking a MT school. I will check out M-Tech and Andrews.

Career Step - Mrs.Smith

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated from Career Step with Honors. I loved the course, and it has been my experience that MT companies like Career Step as well. I have had a few companies offer me jobs once they found out I graduated with honors. No need to even test for them. I got a job right out of the gate and started in on acute care.

I so recommend Career Step. I have had no bad experiences from it.

Similar Messages:

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Online School & Career Change At 40
Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)??? ...

I Am Deciding Between The Andrew's School And Career Step. I Would Like Some Recommendations On
Jun 12, 2010

Dear Coders: My name is Suzanne Lasky and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to go into medical coding and am have decided through many months of investigating different schools between The Andrew's School and Career Step.  I would like to know your recommendations, what you think of the programs and pros and cons of both.  Thanks so much.  Fondly, Suzanne ...

Career Step - Is A Good School To Attend For MT Training
Jan 15, 2011

I would like to know if anyone thinks Career Step is a good school to attend for MT training. Andrews and MTEC are quite a bit more expensive and I don't think I can afford them. I can't really afford Career Step. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. ...

Email From Career Step (MT School): Truth Or Fiction?
Oct 16, 2012

I've been considering getting into the MT field, and I emailed my Career Step academic advisor last week to ask him what he thought about the future of MT.  Here was his response: ********** Thanks for the email.  I understand your concern about the future of the industry.  The rumors that Medical Transcription is going to be phased out in the future are not new.  We’ve been hearing such talk for over 20 years now, and the opposite has proven true thus far.& ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Career Step???
Mar 04, 2011

Does anyone know if in-state tuition for career step is $350???  That's what they told me. ...

Career Step - Knows Good Or Bad
Jan 26, 2010

I am just curious if anyone knows good or bad about Career Step Medical Transcription and Medical Billing/Coding online courses.  I would appreciate any opinoins about this particular online school.  Thank you. ...

Re: Career Step Final
Feb 03, 2010

I was curious to hear if anybody failed the second part of the final? I got a 13% on the second part only because I was having serious trouble hearing the doctor clearly. I took that final last June, and I am wanting to take the final again in May. I am worried that I am going to come across the same problem even after practicing for so many months and getting helpful tips from the Career Step final. I am currently working part-time typing overflow reports and I am doing rather well with that. S ...

Career Step Has Job Openings
Apr 28, 2010

Fancy that! ...

Enrolling In Career Step
May 11, 2010

I am going to enroll in Career step tomorow.  I looked into Andrews, but if I had the 1000 to put down I would not be looking for a new career.  LOL.  Wish me luck! ...

Disappointed In Career Step
May 29, 2010

I'm very disappointed regarding this medical editing course being offered by Career Step.  In my opinion it's a terrible way to take advantage of newbies who are worried about the job market and willing to pay anything to upgrade their skills, when every employer I've ever heard of trains their MTs on VR.  I can't imagine an employer requesting a course in medical editing in addition to the standard MT course.  I myself am a Career Step grad, have been gai ...

Career Step And Unemployment
Jun 09, 2010

Do you know if it is possible to take career step courses for coding and still collect unemployment. I do not qualify for the displaced worker program and they will not let me keep my benifits if I chose to go to a regular community college. I have no idea how the reporting is done, but I would really like to get into coding (currently an MT). I have enough in savings to pay for the course, and I am pretty sure I could get it over with fairly quicly, but I don't want to push myself to work ...

Career Step Or TRS Institute?
Oct 15, 2010

I am trying to decide which school to go with.  I have read good and bad about both Career Step and TRS - does anyone have any additional considerations for me before I make my decision? Thanks! ...

Career Step Or Andrews??? SM
Nov 05, 2010

I am very interested in a coding career.  I have been doing medical transcription for the past 10 years and am tired of chasing after the money.  I need stability.  Coding has always seemed like a very interesting job.  I want to choose a course that is the most detailed so that I have the best chance of passing the certification test(s) and be able to land a job.  Can anyone advise on a great online medical coding course?  Thanks guys!!!! ...

Andrews VS Career Step
Jan 26, 2011

Hi everyone, I have been looking at both Andrews and Career Steps programs for coding. I am leaning more towards Andrews, but I am worried about the amount of writing assignments you have to do. Are these long assignments? What type of stuff do you have to write about for a coding course (without giving away too much info)? Career Step is completely online, and for some reason that just does not seem like the best way to go. I feel that you really do need hands on kind of work, and I don' ...

Purchasing A Used Career Step Course
Jul 25, 2011

I don't know how it will work as far as "enrollment" actually goes, but I'm really looking to do more of a self-taught kind of thing anyway. I know that access to instructors is important, and I have already arranged for that through my local college. Worst case scenario, I'm out $25.. but for that price, I couldn't pass it up!! Thoughts? ...

Career Step Vs SUM Program?
Aug 25, 2011

I'm currently enrolled @ Career Step and stumbled across this forum tonight.  This is the first time I've heard about this SUM program.  Should I be nervous that Career Step doesn't use this program?  I admit, I did not have the money for Andrews or M-tec and thought the AHDI certification was the important thing.  Now I'm not so sure.  Will I be passed over by recruiting agents without this knowledge? Thanks   ...

Andrew's Vs. Career Step
Oct 10, 2011

What is the difference besides price on these two schools? Do companies hire based mostly on what school you graduate from or by how well you test?  Does one school really prepare you better than the other, or are you paying for the name? ...

Career Step Vs Andrews
Jan 16, 2012

Okay, I know Andrews is the best, but has anyone taken Career Step and had any sucess?  It is an approved school on the AHIMA web site, but I don't ever hear anyone say anything about going through them for coding.  If anyone has, I would like to know if you were able to pass the CCS after completing the course?  My parents want to help me pay for school, and I hate for them to think I went and found the most expensive one out there; although, I know it is the best.  I just wondered abo ...

Andrews Vs Career Step Sm
Apr 20, 2013

I am trying to decide between Andrews and Career Step for billing and coding.  The only question I have left is how the learning is done.  It looks like Career Step is study on your own. at your own pace.  I can't find anything one way or the other on the Andrews site - are there interactive online classes or is it study on your own and then test?  Also, Career Step says the tuition includes Complete set of industry codebooks (ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS).  Andrews ju ...

Career Step Textbooks?
May 04, 2013

I have narrowed my choices down to Career Step or Andrews for coding.  I know that Andrews provides all the necessary textbooks, but I cannot get a clear answer as to which textbooks actually are included with the Career Step program. Are there any current or former students of the Career Step coding program who would be willing to tell me which textbooks they received? Thanks much!       ...

Career Step Problems
Jan 30, 2015

I have to be honest. I truly felt that Career Step's training was thorough and prepared me well for a career as an MT. I had an extensive background in terminology, but the transcribing was new for me. Nonetheless, I completed all transcription modules with over 98% accuracy. I can type over 100 WPM. So, when it came time to take the final, I felt confident. I mean, I passed the multiple choice questions with flying colors and only got one wrong. But, apparently, I did so poorly on the tr ...

Career Step Or Andrews?
Apr 17, 2015

Can anyone tell me the difference in the 2 programs? Will someone come out of CS ready to sit for the CCS/CPC? I know/hear on here that Andrews has the best, most comprehensive program but Career Step has a job placement program after graduation ...granted it is low-paying, but it is more like an internship for 13 weeks. After that you can get hired for $15-$17/hour or more.... However their program is almost half what Andrews is.... I just am trying to make the best decision for myself. I am re ...

Opinions On Career Step's MT Program
Feb 26, 2010

I am looking to get some opinions on Career Step's MT program. Has anybody been able to find a job after completion? Any information would be greatly appreciated!  ...

CAREER STEP Payment PLANS?
May 09, 2010

If anyone has taken Career Step, do you feel you are being challenged and that it is worth the money? Do they have payment plans? ...

Career Step MT Editor Supplement Course....
May 25, 2010

Has anyone taken this course to learn speech editing?  Is it worth the $?  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...