A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding School - Fate of coding due to EMR - Ninner

Posted: Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Suggestion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The answers to your questions have been discussed here several times. Would you be ok with looking in the past few months of posts to find those discussions?

The answer is basically "no," but it is more complex than that.

You might want to do some research into what coding is. Your concern about EHRs taking over, along with your misunderstanding of oding credentials, is an indication that you are not really sure what coding is.

For the record, coders are neither registered nor accredited. They are not licensed. They are credentialed and the credentials are called certifications. AHIMA and the AAPC handle that. You should visit their websites for further information.

I DO know what coding is - Ninner

[ In Reply To ..]
as I did outpatient coding as well as some inpatient coding at our local medical facility. I read a response on here from someone else who indicated they had lost their coding job to the EMR, and another stating insurance companies were "tossing around" the idea of paying on a flat rate basis instead of a code basis, which is why I was concerned about the future of coding. I apologize for my "misuse" of the terms registered and accredited. Around "these here parts" whenever a coding job is advertised, they specifically ask for REGISTERED coders. I have checked out a few past discussions regarding coding but I certainly DO appreciate your suggestion.

If you DID coding . . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially both inpatient and outpatient, then why would you be looking for a school?

If you read the responses to "lost job to EHR," you will see responses pointing out that the post appeared to be faked or at least that there was more to the story. It also did not appear that the prson lost their job...they were offered jobs in other areas but did not seem to want them or to engage in any further education.

The "flat rate" for services has nothing to do with coding being unnecessary. Nothing in that article online would have led to that conclusion. Inpatient stays are already paid on a flat rate system, yet still require coding AND clinical documentation improvement assistance services. We have already discussed outpatient coding in physician offices.

Regardless of what you may see in job ads, there is no such thing as a registered coder. I have no idea what that might mean.

If those things had been your concern, you should have been more clear about them to begin with. We are not mindreaders.

Someone took their time to explain and point you in the right direction. If you would read the posts you would see that your questions WERE answered. If you went to the websites mentioned you would see other information you need. No one is trying to be rude, but it really is not reasonable to expect all of this to be written out fresh just for you. A pointer to what you need should be enough.

Ninner - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure why you reacted with hostility to someone who tried to help you.

I might also point out that the post about the flat rate payment idea is AFTER yours. It was posted about 8 hours after it. You could not have seen it when you asked your question, so it was not what caused you to question this.

If you truly understood what coding is, you would not have asked about either the EHR or the flat rate. The person who answered recognized that and was trying to point you in the right direction.

If you react with anger when given direction, coding is not going to be a good field for you. There is constant oversight from many levels, endless audits, and constant direction that changes and conflicts. You will fnd yourself just as aggravated as that doctor who has trouble dealing with it.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...

Has Anyone Gone To School For Coding At
Jul 08, 2011

I know they only have campuses in Wichita KS, Tulsa OK, Joplin MO, but I was just curious if anyone had gone there. TIA! ...

Coding - Getting The First Job After School
Jan 21, 2013

Question for all the coders - A young friend of mine is about to graduate from a community college with a 2-year degree in Healthcare Administration, with a good deal of her school work covering coding, billing, and insurance. She will have a new baby soon and wants to work from home as a coder (or other close field, if you can suggest one). I think I know the answer (if coding is like MT), but, is that possible? What companies, if any, hire newbies, or what is the best way to get ...

What School Did You Go To For Coding?
Jul 27, 2013

What school did you go to to learn coding? Do you feel it taught you enough to be a good coder? ...

In 2003 I Went To Coding School, I Am Also An RN
Mar 02, 2010

I can't find a job.  Sometimes it is because I am too old. maybe my coding experience is too distant. Anyone know anyone who got a got thru the board.   Thanks Maria ...

Coding School - Already Know 75% Of The Coursework Having Been An MT
Jul 14, 2010

I am taking an online coding and billing course and the frustrating thing about it is I already know 75% of the coursework having been an MT for 100 years. I know medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, the anatomy of a medical record, etc. So I skip through and take the module test and move on. There are those on this forum who say MT experience doesn't help when transitioning to coder/biller. Can anyone elaborate on why they say this? ...

Feedback From Those Of You In Coding School
Aug 13, 2010

How are classes going for you?  Is coding what you thought it would be?  I have to say that there is much more to learn than I thought there would be but I really enjoy the research that is involved in the coding process, it is so important to read everything!  Learning the sequencing of codes has probably been the most difficult thing for me so far (I'm having trouble with the septicemia codes), but I understand a little more each day.  The ICD-9 coding guidelines defin ...

What Coding School Did You Enroll In?
Dec 10, 2010

I received a response from my previous post about coding. Can any of you post what schools you were enrolled in, now or in the past. There are so many out there. I thought I would be able to get a few from you, so I could their their respective websites. Also, did most of you enroll for online education or go onsite to school. Thanks. ...

Andrews School Of Coding A
Dec 19, 2010

Andrews School of Medical Coding and Transcription........... Just wanted to say a few words about Andrews School of Coding. 3 years ago I finished an AHIMA accredited program for Health Information, going through the program I realized there were some gaps that I needed to fill in on the coding end. I love AHIMA and being part of the organizaiton, and look forward to working in the field for a long time.  What I am finding with Andrews is that they offer an indepth, hands on training spe ...

Coding School - Looking Into Programs
Jul 13, 2011

I am looking into coding programs and have it narrowed down to possibly two.  They are Andrews and Kaplan University.  Does anybody have any experience with any of these that could help me with my decision. Also, are there any other coding programs out there that are worth looking at? Thanks. ...

Coding School And Certification
May 04, 2012

I am presently training in a new position at a physician's office.  I will be doing coding and billing.  I have coded in the past but I would like to go to school and become certified.  Can anyone please direct me in a good program rather on line or in the middle Tennessee area?  I have been an MT since 1986 and sadly this is a dying art.  Thank you. ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

What's The Best Coding School Outside Of Andrews?
Aug 03, 2013

I was wondering what the best coding school is, other than Andrews? ...

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?  I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?  Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

Coding/billing School
Apr 26, 2014

I am wanting to go into billinig/coding.  There is a tech school very close to my home. They have coding/billing  program  which takes 1 year to complete full time.  I am wondering this:  How much does a newbie make just starting out in either billing or coding and what are my chances of getting a newbie job right out of school?  Thanks for the info. ...

Can You Take The RHIT Or CCS Having Just Finished Coding School?
Apr 01, 2010

I am thinking about taking a billing/coding class, but noticed that getting a job after that involved having the RHIT or CCS.  I am wonding if this will be a catch 22 and don't want to spend time in school for coding if I cannot pass these 2 tests when I am done, as it looks like I will not be able to get hired without these certificates.  Sorry about the confusion on this.  Thanks for your time and info. ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...

Not Happy With The Coding School I Chose
Jun 27, 2011

I put a lot of research into my decision and decided to spend the extra money and go with a school that got a lot of great reviews and offered a format that I felt would fit my learning style the best.  One of the benefits of this school was that you are assigned an instructor who is there to answer your questions whenever you need them, etc.  Well after getting a 1/4 of the way through the program, I am finding that my instructor takes a week to 10 days to get back to me.  I han ...

Should I Wait To Go To Coding School For Implementation Of ICD-10?
Dec 28, 2011

Am a current Mt looking to get into coding, specifically looking at Andrews.  I am not familiar with coding at all, so this may be a dumb question to those familiar with it - but here goes! Would it make more sense to wait until the implementation of ICD-10 to invest in the courses or is this a mute point pretty much?  In other words, would it be easier to "transition" from 9 to 10 or start fresh with 10?  Hope this makes sense and TIA for any input.   ...

Question Regarding Coding School Curriculum
Jan 25, 2012

Has anyone who has gone through coding school after being an MT been able to waive portions of the curriculum, such as A&P?  If not, was it more a review or was it from the beginning?  I took A&P many years ago and have been an MT since 1987 (with a break around 2003-2005) with experience in a lot of specialties from oncology to different subspecialties in neurology.  Thanks! ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

Best Time Of Year For Coding School?
Apr 30, 2014

Hello.  I was wondering if there is a best time of year to start coding school so I wouldn't have to buy many more books or new books when having to take an exam.  I know a lot of factors would go into this, such as how long it would take me to do the course, but was wondering anyway.  I plan to go through Andrews.  Thanks so much for your input! ...

Considering Coding School. Can Some Current Coders Please Tell Me - Sm
Jan 06, 2015

why coding would not eventually be replaced by electronic systems in the future?  Do they not have software that can pick out words from the text and assign the codes?  What does a coder do that cannot be automated by a machine?  Please don't think I am being insulting.  I know very little about coding and have just started researching it.  I am an MT for 20+ years. ...

54-year-old. Should I Go To School For Coding Or Stay In Transcription? Sm
Mar 05, 2010

At my age, should I try to go to school for medical biilling/coding or just stay wtih transcription or try another job (JoAnn Fabrics, etc.).  I am 54 and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there?  If coding, what schooll(s) are good on-line or in AZ or OH?  Thanks! ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

Med-Line School - MT Bridge To Coding Program
Aug 10, 2012

Anyone take this program yet? Were you successful in passing the exam and getting a job? ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...