A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Looking for a good online coding college - binsky

Posted: Jul 17, 2012

After much research i had decided on taking coding classes through Andrew College. Unfortunately since they are not an acredited college Vocational Rehab will not help pay. Can anyone recommend a good acredited college or one that accepts FASA grants? Looking to take online courses or classes in Ft. Wayne, IN.

Santa Barbara City College - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
has a reputable program, or go to CAHIIM to find an accredited school

College programs are nearly identical - Just pick one

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously, they all teach the same material prescribed by AHiMA. They use nearly the same books and online material, too. The exception would be WGU, which offers informatics and does a good job of it. They do not have a coding program, though.

If you are going to go the college route, choose a CAHIIM approved program affiliated with a CAHIIM accredited HIT program. That will be a college with an HIM department teaching HIT that also offers a coding certificate program. You can find both by looking on the AHIMA website.

I would stay with community college programs which have reasonable tuition. You do not want to end up in debt for 30 or 40K or even 5K because you may be unable tp pass a certification exam after all that and be unable to get a job. The pass rate on those exams is low. About half the people who take them fail. The approved programs teach to the CCA exam, too, not the CCS. Many employers are not interested in that.

Be VERY careful not to confuse that with a career college teaching "medical billing and coding" because it is not the same. They teach mostly medical front office and usually charge a fortune for it. If you do not know what a diploma mill or for-profit is, please look them up before deciding on a school.

Andrews is not a college. It is a private school that teaches MT and coding. It does so very well, teaching to the level of the CCS and CPC, but as you said does not accept FAFSA.

Wrong Information - Correction

[ In Reply To ..]
It's definitely possible to go to The Andrews School by Vocational Rehabilitation or WIA. I have personal experience with having to explain to them why I believe it is the best school and the only school I would consider.

You can get your case manager to work with you if you are confident in your choice of schools and you have facts to back it up.

You have to explain that the graduates are prepared to pass the CCS exam right out of school. That's rare. It's worth the effort, if you are a good communicator, to fight for what you want. It's worth it to get to go to a school with an excellent reputation for results rather than get stuck with one just because they offer federal financial aid.

Tell them that whether they offer federal financial aid or not is no measure of the quality of education and shouldn't be how they choose what schools they will allow in their program. You are a tax payer. This is your money. Stand up for yourself and for others who are too timid or uneducated to stand up for themselves.

Similar Messages:

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Schooling - Good Online Coding Classes? 
Jan 21, 2010

Any recommendations on good online coding classes?  ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...

Has Anyone Gone To Heald College For Coding Training?
Nov 02, 2010

I've been going back and forth regarding which school to go to.  I'd prefer to do online training but would still like to have an instructor that I could ask questions of, speak to on the phone, etc.  I live in California in the central valley, anyone who has attended Heald college for coding I would love to hear from them. ...

Future Coding Student...question About College
Jul 12, 2013

Ok, so I thought I had made up my mind on attending Andrews, but there is a certificate course offered by a local college.  This is not a community college but Kent State University.  Now I am wondering, should I try to go through their course to earn actual college credits that will be transferrable to a degree someday or go through Andrews where I know for sure they will prepare me for the coding certifications??  HELP!!! ...

Coding Programs - Santa Barbara City College
May 20, 2010

I just registered for Santa Barbara City College's HIT program online.  Has anyone else taken their program?  I really needed to find a school that was accredited because I qualify for FAFSA to help me pay for it.  I looked into Andrews and also AHIMA, but all were WAY too expensive and you can't receive financial aid.  If anyone can give me information on the Santa Barbara courses, if you've taken it through them, please do!  Thanks!  (I'm ...

Does Rasmussen College Have A Good Reputation In The Medical Transcription Job World???
Mar 07, 2010

Hi everyone, I just graduated from Rasmussen online college with a 2 year degree in medical transcription back in September. I was able to land a brief 2 month job in November but the lady that hired me wasn't a patient trainer and let me go because I wasn't perfect right away and she was very busy as well, backed up in fact. My question is, does Rasmussen College have a good reputation in the medical transcription world? ...

Online Universities For Coding?
May 07, 2010

I have found at least 5 dozen on line colleges for medical coding and I can find Pros and Cons for all.  Just wondering if there were any students here currently utilizing on line colleges or programs for medical coding, or if anyone has any experiencing completing one. Thanks! ...

Which Online Coding Program
Aug 17, 2010

How does one know which online coding program to take when they all seem pretty good, besides the price difference? I specifically want to know about AHIMA or Career Step from someone who has graduated and found a job. I know they have testimonials on their website, but how does one really know?  I was thinking about either their program or the one from AHIMA, which seems a lot longer, but apparently with either you will be able to sit for the credentialing exam, and they seem to be close in ...

Can You Take Online Classes For Coding?
Dec 20, 2010

I'm new to this board so bear with me.  Having been a MT forever it seems, I'm thinking of making a switch to coding. At one point I was even hired as an entry level coder, learning on the job, but when i position came open in transcription took that as it paid better. In hindsight wish I had stuck with the coding as then could have gone either or even both ways.  My problem would be having to actually "go" to a school in person , but i would want something reputable, not som ...

How To Pick An Online Coding Course
May 08, 2011

After 28 years of medical billing I am ready for a change.  I've been researching online coding courses but there are so many!  I would be interested in any feedback you have on which courses you took and the pros and cons of each.  Thank you for your input. ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...

Best Online Coding Classes
Mar 06, 2013

I am very interested in getting into coding/billing field. I am retired medical transcriptionist. I am looking for advise on schools, what to look for in a school and requirements. I would really like to take classes online. ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

CTC Coding Online Training
Dec 15, 2014

I am looking at various online options and have found CTC through the AAPC website.  I was hoping someone might have some experience or knowledge of this training program that they would be willing to share.  TIA! ...

One Thing I Wish For Online Coding Program
Jun 07, 2012

I am currently attending Andrews School's coding program and I truly do love it.  There are still some things that confuse me a bit and sometimes I have wished there were "training" or lecture videos.  By taking this course, I have realized that I am a visual learner and have found that just by having to read everything, sometimes I have to go over it and over it to make sense of it, which then sets me back as far as time and then I have to rush to get all of my assignments comple ...

Anyone Know A Good Shorthand Online Course?
Mar 19, 2010

I finally got my study material for my administrative assistant course, but according to what I've read so far I may need to learn shorthand.  Transcribing my own scrawl is going to be a big step up from transcribing some of the dictators I've listened to, and I gotta say one good thing for my MT career, I don't need to worry about passing the keyboarding section. Anyone know where I can find a good online course for learning shorthand, that isn't too expensive?  T ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

Good Online Schools
Oct 12, 2011

Are there any schools/courses that I could take online for coding that would enable me to pass the CCS and CPC exams? ...

Mediscribes? Good/bad/ugly? Not Seeing Much Online About Them.
Dec 10, 2012

Thanks for any help! I'm esp. interested in pay.  :) ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Can You Succeed In Coding If You Aren't Good At MT
Apr 05, 2012

I'm very interested in learning new things. I have a certificate in cosmetology, an associate degree in business admin/microcomputers (worthless now because I learn pre-windows), had a real estate license (couldn't make money in my area), a dental assitant diploma (can no longer work in the field due to a latex allergy and a hip replacement due to a tumor), and a MT certiificate. All the other fields academically I did VERY well at but MT was a struggle for me because I could never dev ...

Coding :: Do You Feel The Compensation Is Good?
Jan 08, 2013

I have had my own medical transcription business for almost 30 years.  Recently, my largest client informed me they are going to start using a template that docs will fill out when they see patients.  I am losing a lot of income and really need to replace it.  My friend told me that coding is a good thing to get into now.  I don't want to spend the time and/or money learning that if the pay is not good and the jobs aren't plentiful.  I have tons of medical transcription experience ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

How Long Should A Thorough, Good Coding Program
Jan 16, 2015

variables involved, i.e. FT/PT, working, not working, etc. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure from those who have already completed a program. Thanks for any info! ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Coding Program For An
Apr 26, 2015

xx ...

Schooling - Good On-line Course For Coding/billing?
Apr 20, 2010

Is there a good on-line course for coding/billing?  I don't think M-Tec has a program, a program that is well known to the industry and grads that are well prepared.  Thanks. ...

Could Anyone Recommend Good Medical Coding Websites?
Jan 31, 2012

Hello, I am becoming disenchanted with the medical transcription profession and how it has become less lucrative (although some may disagree). I wanted to look into medical coding as an alternative at-home (remote) or in-office job.  I was hoping someone could recommend a few good websites that discuss the profession, how to prepare for it, how long training typically takes before you can "launch yourself", how lucrative it could be if you really apply yourself, and so on. I've hear ...