A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

online or at school - newbie

Posted: Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial.Cool

Depends on your - learning style and

[ In Reply To ..]
whether there are coding classes offered at a school near you. Also, community college would be less expensive. I compared a couple of the online with a few classes at the community college, and big price difference.

It all depends . . . - On the course

[ In Reply To ..]
If you feel that you are not doing well, you need to contact the school for assistance.

Don't assume that the problem is the online nature of the program and that going to a college will somehow fix that. Most college programs now are partly or completely online.

Don't assume that a local community college will cost less, either. The college previously mentioned might be cheaper, but not all community colleges cost less. Certainly, they all cost less than the $30,000 some "career colleges" charge, but they are the same or more than some other programs. If you are going to compare costs, compare ALL the costs. Don't use their "book estimate," either, because it's usually far lower than reality.

Similar Messages:

What Online School Is Better???
Apr 24, 2012

I am wondering if a nationally accrediting school is better then just a regular accredited schooling?? Thanks ...

How Difficult Is An Online MT School?
Dec 23, 2009

I'm seriously considering enrolling at one of the "top two" MT online schools.  I'm good at English grammar, spelling, type over 100 wpm with 98% accuracy, a perfectionist, and am also very focused.  I do have a full-time job, but can easily devote evenings and time on the weekends to complete the course.  I'm up for a challenge, but after doing quite a bit of research, this sounds really difficult.  Feedback please! ...

Anyone Here Going Back To School Online
Oct 21, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here is going back to school for something else, but taking classes online.  I need to find a good online school as we only have one vehicle and my husband is using it to commute back and forth to work in another city.  If you are going back to school, what are you going for? Thanks ...

Looking For A Good Online MT School
Sep 03, 2011

I've been searching for an online MT school that has a good rep among Mt's and MT employers for been a good school with a good training.  So far I have on the list CareerStep, M-Tec, and Andrews. Please, any opinions and advice about these schools (or any other I don't know about), negative and positive, would be soooo welcome since I'm having a hard time choosing a school.  I would not like to waste my money on a school with a poor training and not known ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

What Is Best Medical Transcription School Online
Nov 27, 2011

Hi, I would like to know what is the best online medical transcription school. Thanks in advance for reply. dce ...

Online School & Career Change At 40
Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)??? ...

Best School To Get Online Bacherlor's In RHIA Besides WGU?
Jul 25, 2013

Which school (that offers the program online) is the best to get an RHIA besides Western Governor's University? I'm not interested in going there. ...

Career Step - Has Anyone Heard Of This Online School?
Jun 23, 2010

Has anyone heard of this online school?  They say the are one of the best and have most job placement with the big MT employers.  Can anyone tell me anything about this school.  I know they all say they are the best.  Is there something in particular that I should look for in a school as far as their teaching techniques?  I read something about SUM, is this the best teaching program out there? ...

Searching For Good Online MT School For Canadian
Jan 01, 2011

I'm searching everywhere on web for info on the best recommended schools for Medical Transcription.  Canscribe is said to be 'one of the best', however it's soooo expensive.  Does anyone know a few other good schools recommended by AHDI ?     ...

Finding An Online Medical Transcription School To Go To
Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet.. ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Online Course??? Help Me!!!
Jan 28, 2010

i have a question for working mt's.  i have decided that i want to get into the mt field and try to work from home if at all possible, while raising a family. i was going to look into doing an online course and i'm just not sure which "school" would be a good choice. it seems that its so hard to find out which school is actually legit. i know there are some schools that are supported by the adhi and accp. and im not sure if "at home" jobs are actually obtainable to ...

Looking For Online ICD-10-PCS
Jan 25, 2014

of any good online education for this alone?  I see AHIMA has one.  I am looking for others.  AHIMA's online courses don't suit me.  I suppose it would look good on a resume, but I want to LEARN it well.  So if anyone has come across a good online course in ICD-10-PCS, please post.  Thank you! ...

Online Library
Mar 02, 2010

Here's something that might be useful to you all who have library cards with your own local library.  I'm not sure if all libraries are connected to netlibrary.com, but mine is. Here's the thing: http://www.netlibrary.com I went there and signed up by using my local library card.  There are a ton of books, in both ebook (pdf) format as well as available for audio download (free).  You can search by subject, author, etc., For instance, when I put "start a business ...

MT Online Schools
Apr 23, 2010

Hello im newly interested to getting certified as an MT and wanting to know about the Online schools that i can trust.   And if this career pays well and is worth getting into ???  Thanks for any input i do appreciate it. ...

Online Mt Courses??
Oct 04, 2010

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good online school that you know of that i could do MT course online. I am a stay at home mom that homeschools and would love to let this be a 2nd income to help supplement income with my husbands, and still be able to be at home. please anyone help. thanks!! Amy ...

Online Schools
Dec 07, 2010

I am interested in becoming a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering what online school you would recommend. Two that I saw that was interesting was FutureMT and CareerStep. I want to make sure I pick a good school so i can get a good foundation.Also how long did it take for you to finish school? I heard between 3-6 months. Thanks ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Do The Online Med Insurance
Apr 25, 2011

I was able to get onto the web site but I don't see anything there that indicates enrollment for this new UnitedHealthcare MS MRA insurance.  All of my existing elections are there, but no place can I find anything regarding open enrollment.    Have any of you guys been able to find it?  If so, please let me know.  I tried calling the "benefits" number on Friday, but I got a recording that there were closed for the holiday...LOL.  Not me....I had to work all ...

Online Applications
May 14, 2011

I just had to vent!  I am SICK AND TIRED of companies (mostly hospitals) with these l-o-n-g applications asking you to document your whole life history.  These are several pages long, and many times you are restricted to ANSWERS IN BOXES (drop-down menus) so can't enter free text.  Finally, there is NO WAY TO SAVE IT!  So you can get half or most of the way through and have to stop/pause and/or get stuck because of the dang drop-down stuff, when you can resume you h ...

Choosing An Online MT Course
Jun 08, 2011

Hi, I am considering an online MT course to get certified.  I have been doing transcription for 6 1/2 years for a mental health agency.   I have been doing some online research and there are so many schools/courses to choose from!  Which are the best?  Accredited? Financial aid or pay as you go?   I want to work from home to supplement my income but find that most places you must be certified, have experience, etc....  I have the experience in psychiatry/p ...

Has Anyone Taken The New Online CMT Exam?
Feb 22, 2012

I'm just wondering if anyone has taken the new online CMT exam via webcam.  Did you have any technical problems or did everything run smoothly?  Thanks for the info.  BTW, I already know how many of you feel re the CMT exam, so really just an answer to my question would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

New Ad Stalking Me Online...
Jul 04, 2012

assuming I already have a BA, does anyone think this would be a good alternative career choice to MT?   ...

Online Testing
Oct 22, 2012

Anyone ever test on one the MTTEST online testing sites, knew that you answered all of the questions correct on the multiple choice and fill in the blanks section, only to be told that you failed the test?  It would be one thing if you did not know the answers, but when you know the answers because it is general medical transcription knowledge that is dealt with on a day-to-day basis throughout your job, and be told the answers were wrong?  Something is wrong with this pictur ...

Wouldn't It Be Better To Take An Online
Mar 11, 2014

ICD-10 course rather than be required to stay with them for 2 additional years after the apprenticeship, working whatever shift they feel like sticking you with?  I feel like the difference in the amount of money you'd be making in those 2 years with them versus anywhere else would more than pay for an online course.  I'm not seeing the draw to this. ...

Online Companies
Jun 14, 2014

I have always worked for a hospital in my area and would like to relocate to Florida so was thinking of going with an online service and am looking for some input as to the best services to apply to and the ones to stay away from.  I am single and this is my only income and cannot be without a job and good benefits. ...