A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone ever gone through Allied School for coding? Other school recommendations? - CMT

Posted: Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you recommend?  I did look at Career Step, but they are much more expensive.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

You get what you pay for... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
In my experience. I would highly recommend Andrews School. They are close to $4000 for the coding course, but I have heard good things and high praises about them and even have considered going through Andrews myself.

Know what you want to get out of it. - CT

[ In Reply To ..]
There are so many things to weigh before selecting a school, and cost should be only one of many.

You need to know what you want to get out of it. Are you looking to work inpatient or outpatient? You'll need to find a school that sways whichever way, AHIMA v AAPC. Are you going to go for a specific credential or multiple? Are there employers in your area willing to work with you on an apprenticeship or are they looking for only "experienced" coders? Do you want to make coding your long-term plan or are you looking into offshoots, such as consulting or others? If so, what sorts of education experience/work experience will set you along that path?

It might be worth calling around to see what your potential employers look for in new hires before you commit to one school over another, and like others I'm sure will continue to mention. You get what you pay for, and more importantly, you get what you're willing to put into a program out of it.

Good luck! There are lots of opinions here about many of the schools.

Right, you get what you pay for. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What you might not know is that schools teaching "coding" are not all teaching the same thing. Some teach only to the CPC exam, or only outpatient coding such as that in physician offices. Others teach both that and inpatient hospital coding.

Some don't have instructors at all and others don't have certified coders as instructors. Coding is not easy to learn under those circumstances, regardless of how many people in the office there are to make you feel you are not in it alone.

Decide what type of job you want, the certifications you need for that, and go from there. Be aware that not everyone passes the CPC, that about 25% of those who do can't find a job, that your chances of employment may be aided by an AHIMA credential (both now and later when you want to work for a coding company) and that AHIMA exams have eligibility requirements. You can't even qualify to sit for their exams with the course you are contemplating.  

You get what you pay for.

Exactly. Please be careful! would hate to see in a mountain of - debt and no job

[ In Reply To ..]
I have friends that have completed local programs and cannot find jobs because they have no experience. Even my mother in law took a local course and couldn't find a job. it is SO HARD to get a job in coding especially if you haven't passed a certification and it sounds like the the program you are considering won't help you in the least. As a MT right now being trained through my company to do coding I will tell you it is a different world. You may think because you are an MT coding will be a breeze and you will snap up a job. that is simply not true. You have to understand, coders are the moneymakers for facilities and they have to be extremely selective so they can file as many claims as possible. Coding is not cut and dry, you have to know what you are looking for and that takes experience, which is why it is extremely difficult to get a job in coding. Even certified coders have a tough time getting a job if they have no experience.

I am not saying all of this to discourage you. I'm just suggesting you weigh all of your options. With what I know now if my company was not training me to code with a guaranteed job I would never, EVER do this on my own. It's simply too risky. At least if I went back to school for nursing or HIM it would be relatively easy to find a job.

I will wrap it up by saying this: I started back to college last year, got my associates and will be working on my bachelor's in the fall. Even though i'm training to be a coder. Why? I want the security in having a degree in something hands on. I guess I have PTSD when it comes to MT, I don't want to just rely on something I can do online. It was unfathomable years ago the MT industry would be where it is today. Don't think the same thing can't happen to coding.

the wisdom of taking a course with your best friend - Kathy

[ In Reply To ..]
Just keep in mind you will be competing with your friend for a job after you are done. How will it affect your relationship if you both apply for the same job and one of you gets it?

I'm not at all concerned about that - SM - CMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be doing coding in addition to my MT job, so it's not like I would be desperate for a job right out of school. If she were to land a coding job before me, I would be happy for her and I know it would be the same if it was the other way around. We are grown women and have been best friends for 13 years. We are supporting each other, not competing. Also, there are boat loads of coding jobs in our area. We actually called one of the local hospitals yesterday to ask what they look for in coders and they gave us a lot of great information. They told us that while they do prefer people with at least a year or two of experience, they will absolutely consider someone who is certified. There is quite a shortage of certified coders in our general area. They said they are almost always looking for certified coders, so we know that there are jobs available.

Also, I do fully realize that coding is a completely different world and is nothing like MT. I already own the ICD books as well as CPT Plus and Comprehensive Health Insurance, which I have already started reading, so I am fully aware of what I'd be getting into.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Disappointment In Allied Medical School
Jan 25, 2010

I am so deeply disappointed in Allied Business School/Medical School. I am so deeply disappointed in AIM/**** who never lived up to her end of a business deal.   I have wasted so much time and money in attempting to become a Medical Transcriptionist.   I'd rather clean toilets. Anonymous   **** Do not identify individuals. Moderator **** ...

Medical Transcription School Recommendations?
Jun 22, 2010

I am very interested in narrowing down my current work experience and specializing in one field.  I have no idea on what school I should go with for a CMT diploma/certificate.  Can anyone guide me or have any great experiences with a school?  I am looking for an online school if they are worth paying the money.  This field would be fairly new to me so I need a full course of all the necessary and required courses to be marketable to a new company for job placement.  Thanks for any suggestio ...

I Am Deciding Between The Andrew's School And Career Step. I Would Like Some Recommendations On
Jun 12, 2010

Dear Coders: My name is Suzanne Lasky and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to go into medical coding and am have decided through many months of investigating different schools between The Andrew's School and Career Step.  I would like to know your recommendations, what you think of the programs and pros and cons of both.  Thanks so much.  Fondly, Suzanne ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...

Has Anyone Gone To School For Coding At
Jul 08, 2011

I know they only have campuses in Wichita KS, Tulsa OK, Joplin MO, but I was just curious if anyone had gone there. TIA! ...

Coding - Getting The First Job After School
Jan 21, 2013

Question for all the coders - A young friend of mine is about to graduate from a community college with a 2-year degree in Healthcare Administration, with a good deal of her school work covering coding, billing, and insurance. She will have a new baby soon and wants to work from home as a coder (or other close field, if you can suggest one). I think I know the answer (if coding is like MT), but, is that possible? What companies, if any, hire newbies, or what is the best way to get ...

What School Did You Go To For Coding?
Jul 27, 2013

What school did you go to to learn coding? Do you feel it taught you enough to be a good coder? ...

In 2003 I Went To Coding School, I Am Also An RN
Mar 02, 2010

I can't find a job.  Sometimes it is because I am too old. maybe my coding experience is too distant. Anyone know anyone who got a got thru the board.   Thanks Maria ...

Coding School - Already Know 75% Of The Coursework Having Been An MT
Jul 14, 2010

I am taking an online coding and billing course and the frustrating thing about it is I already know 75% of the coursework having been an MT for 100 years. I know medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, the anatomy of a medical record, etc. So I skip through and take the module test and move on. There are those on this forum who say MT experience doesn't help when transitioning to coder/biller. Can anyone elaborate on why they say this? ...

Feedback From Those Of You In Coding School
Aug 13, 2010

How are classes going for you?  Is coding what you thought it would be?  I have to say that there is much more to learn than I thought there would be but I really enjoy the research that is involved in the coding process, it is so important to read everything!  Learning the sequencing of codes has probably been the most difficult thing for me so far (I'm having trouble with the septicemia codes), but I understand a little more each day.  The ICD-9 coding guidelines defin ...

What Coding School Did You Enroll In?
Dec 10, 2010

I received a response from my previous post about coding. Can any of you post what schools you were enrolled in, now or in the past. There are so many out there. I thought I would be able to get a few from you, so I could their their respective websites. Also, did most of you enroll for online education or go onsite to school. Thanks. ...

Andrews School Of Coding A
Dec 19, 2010

Andrews School of Medical Coding and Transcription........... Just wanted to say a few words about Andrews School of Coding. 3 years ago I finished an AHIMA accredited program for Health Information, going through the program I realized there were some gaps that I needed to fill in on the coding end. I love AHIMA and being part of the organizaiton, and look forward to working in the field for a long time.  What I am finding with Andrews is that they offer an indepth, hands on training spe ...

Coding School - Looking Into Programs
Jul 13, 2011

I am looking into coding programs and have it narrowed down to possibly two.  They are Andrews and Kaplan University.  Does anybody have any experience with any of these that could help me with my decision. Also, are there any other coding programs out there that are worth looking at? Thanks. ...

Coding School And Certification
May 04, 2012

I am presently training in a new position at a physician's office.  I will be doing coding and billing.  I have coded in the past but I would like to go to school and become certified.  Can anyone please direct me in a good program rather on line or in the middle Tennessee area?  I have been an MT since 1986 and sadly this is a dying art.  Thank you. ...

Which Online Coding School
Jul 09, 2013

Can anyone please tell me which online coding school is the one to go to.  I have been in transcription for the past 10 years and I am literally terrified about what is going on with this business.  I still need something at home because I have little ones still running around.  I know coding is very hard to get into but so was transcription when I first started so I am willing to make the transition.  I was literally in tears yesterday when it was the 4th consecutive day wit ...

What's The Best Coding School Outside Of Andrews?
Aug 03, 2013

I was wondering what the best coding school is, other than Andrews? ...

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?  I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?  Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

Coding/billing School
Apr 26, 2014

I am wanting to go into billinig/coding.  There is a tech school very close to my home. They have coding/billing  program  which takes 1 year to complete full time.  I am wondering this:  How much does a newbie make just starting out in either billing or coding and what are my chances of getting a newbie job right out of school?  Thanks for the info. ...

Can You Take The RHIT Or CCS Having Just Finished Coding School?
Apr 01, 2010

I am thinking about taking a billing/coding class, but noticed that getting a job after that involved having the RHIT or CCS.  I am wonding if this will be a catch 22 and don't want to spend time in school for coding if I cannot pass these 2 tests when I am done, as it looks like I will not be able to get hired without these certificates.  Sorry about the confusion on this.  Thanks for your time and info. ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...

Not Happy With The Coding School I Chose
Jun 27, 2011

I put a lot of research into my decision and decided to spend the extra money and go with a school that got a lot of great reviews and offered a format that I felt would fit my learning style the best.  One of the benefits of this school was that you are assigned an instructor who is there to answer your questions whenever you need them, etc.  Well after getting a 1/4 of the way through the program, I am finding that my instructor takes a week to 10 days to get back to me.  I han ...

Should I Wait To Go To Coding School For Implementation Of ICD-10?
Dec 28, 2011

Am a current Mt looking to get into coding, specifically looking at Andrews.  I am not familiar with coding at all, so this may be a dumb question to those familiar with it - but here goes! Would it make more sense to wait until the implementation of ICD-10 to invest in the courses or is this a mute point pretty much?  In other words, would it be easier to "transition" from 9 to 10 or start fresh with 10?  Hope this makes sense and TIA for any input.   ...

Question Regarding Coding School Curriculum
Jan 25, 2012

Has anyone who has gone through coding school after being an MT been able to waive portions of the curriculum, such as A&P?  If not, was it more a review or was it from the beginning?  I took A&P many years ago and have been an MT since 1987 (with a break around 2003-2005) with experience in a lot of specialties from oncology to different subspecialties in neurology.  Thanks! ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

Best Time Of Year For Coding School?
Apr 30, 2014

Hello.  I was wondering if there is a best time of year to start coding school so I wouldn't have to buy many more books or new books when having to take an exam.  I know a lot of factors would go into this, such as how long it would take me to do the course, but was wondering anyway.  I plan to go through Andrews.  Thanks so much for your input! ...