A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

i want your opinion about career step online medical transcription course or any other school which - nina

Posted: Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school.

transcription schools - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have heard Career Step is good and also Andrews is very good. But to be honest, I would not recommend to my worst enemy to go into transcription. It's a field that has gone downhill drastically in the last several years (and has taken the pay downhill with it) due to voice recognition and offshoring.

Transcription schools - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Career Step and Andrews are both transcription schools, but there the similarities end. Andrews is a Rolls-Royce; Career Step is a Chevvie.

Transcription schools - Think Twice

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not advise anybody to spend money on training to get into this business. Unless you can find a school that can guarantee placement if you pass their course, I would run the other direction. Just check out the jobs that are available before you take a plunge like that. Check this board to see how many seasoned, experienced, medical transcriptionists cannot find placement.

"Guaranteed Jobs", Seasoned MTs who can't find jobs, etc. - Balderdash!

[ In Reply To ..]
There are few "seasoned" transcriptionists who do excellent work and can't find a job. There are jobs.

Also, about those guaranteed jobs, I have personal experience with those. Some do have deals where they will hire graduates of a certain school without question. They don't tell you that they hire graduates of better schools for more money and actually keep them.

In other words, some companies have deals with schools to hire their MTs so the school can say they "guarantee" jobs. The "guaranteed" jobs are those nobody would want and other MTSOs aren't going to want you after you put them on your resume. I was told by a recruiter that some hire the MT so they have their "guaranteed" job, but they fire them soon and replace them with another graduate who was offered a guaranteed job if they would attend that school.

If the school guarantees placement, I wouldn't consider it. Why would any MTSO commit to hiring all graduates, good or bad. They wouldn't---if they actually expected to pay them anything reasonable. They wouldn't if they expected to actually keep those graduates. They don't, unless the graduate will work for nothing.

Balderdash! - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right on. I would never have made any agreement to hire all graduates. Why should I--or any other honest MTSO--do so? I suspect that these kinds of offers are coming from the "institutes" as they are now fond of calling themselves (many are little more than matchbooks)that advertise in women's magazines. Typically these "institutes" also teach a variety of other skills, all the way from private investigation to plumbing to floral arranging. They typically show some perky Sally Fields-type of model with large print saying "Earn $40,000 per year as a medical transcriptionist!" The people who fall for this are usually desperate folks who can least afford to lose their money. They think they cannot afford a good school like M-TEC or Andrews. They can NOT afford a good school. If they are poor, why throw away what little money they have left on a subpar school? Most people don't know this, but many MTSOs actually have private lists of schools whose grads they will not hire. Many of these "institutes" have made the list. What they are doing (offering a subpar education) is not illegal, just unethical. That is why it should be the responsibility of every wanna-be MT to check out the school BEFORE enrolling. There are a lot of scams going on out there. TranSCAM is one of them, but there are plenty more. So people, do your homework. Don't throw your money down the rathole. Invest in a decent education or do something else entirely. Be aware. Caveat emptor.

Similar Messages:

Career Step - Has Anyone Heard Of This Online School?
Jun 23, 2010

Has anyone heard of this online school?  They say the are one of the best and have most job placement with the big MT employers.  Can anyone tell me anything about this school.  I know they all say they are the best.  Is there something in particular that I should look for in a school as far as their teaching techniques?  I read something about SUM, is this the best teaching program out there? ...

Career Step Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2012

Where to start? I was the top MT at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs Regional in Waco, TX. I have also been a proofreader for a top notch advertising agency in California and my first job was as an MT. I type 90 wpm. That said, I have not been able to find a position as an MT because I didn't have 'credentials'. So I researched the web and decided to spend my hard-earned money on Career Step. I passed the 1st portion of the test with 97% which actually more of a grammatical testing ...

What Is Best Medical Transcription School Online
Nov 27, 2011

Hi, I would like to know what is the best online medical transcription school. Thanks in advance for reply. dce ...

Finding An Online Medical Transcription School To Go To
Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet.. ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Online School & Career Change At 40
Feb 02, 2013

Currently hold Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. Worked as executive admin asst for past 15 years. Considering going to Andrews on line MT school. Is this a good investment and career change for me or should I look into something else? Like the ability to possibly work from home. Also, which school is best choice for finding work at home job (Andrews, Career Step, Mtec, etc..)??? ...

I Am Deciding Between The Andrew's School And Career Step. I Would Like Some Recommendations On
Jun 12, 2010

Dear Coders: My name is Suzanne Lasky and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to go into medical coding and am have decided through many months of investigating different schools between The Andrew's School and Career Step.  I would like to know your recommendations, what you think of the programs and pros and cons of both.  Thanks so much.  Fondly, Suzanne ...

Career Step - Is A Good School To Attend For MT Training
Jan 15, 2011

I would like to know if anyone thinks Career Step is a good school to attend for MT training. Andrews and MTEC are quite a bit more expensive and I don't think I can afford them. I can't really afford Career Step. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. ...

Email From Career Step (MT School): Truth Or Fiction?
Oct 16, 2012

I've been considering getting into the MT field, and I emailed my Career Step academic advisor last week to ask him what he thought about the future of MT.  Here was his response: ********** Thanks for the email.  I understand your concern about the future of the industry.  The rumors that Medical Transcription is going to be phased out in the future are not new.  We’ve been hearing such talk for over 20 years now, and the opposite has proven true thus far.& ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Familiar With The Transcription Program At Either Career Step
May 29, 2012

Is anyone familiar with the transcription program at either Career Step, MT at Home, or Medical Transcription A to Z?  Opinions would be appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription Online Schools
Apr 26, 2011

I attended a seminar last night for an online medical transcription school.  The school providing the information was At-Home Professions out of Ft. Collins, CO.  After doing some research I have found that they may not give as intense of a schooling as others.  Can anyone give advice on this and/or which schools would provide a better education? ...

Tips On Creating An Online Medical Transcription Resume?
Nov 03, 2010

Can anyone give me tips on creating an online resume?  My first impression is important for this since I can't be there in person...Any help would be appreciated.  I am retired from my career, but took a course in medical billing and medical transcription so I could work from home in a rural area.  I have limited MT experience (1 year at a large company) but want to expand my workload a bit.  Help! ...

Step-by-step Medical Coding By Carol Buck?
Nov 01, 2012

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with the above mentioned book? I was planning on getting the work book as well. I also wanted to know what other books I would need. I was going to get the 2013 addition for all books needed. I don't have the money to take a full course right now, but I would like to "get my feet wet" and see if this is the right field for me. Thanks. ...

Career And Education Advice For Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2009

Hello, I am looking for advice from some of the seasoned MT's and those who have been in the field for about a year now.   I am looking into medical transcription; initially for part-time supplemental income and down-the-road as a full-time career.   Here are the questions that I have: Which schools, particularly online courses, are well known for developing successful MT's; more specifically which programs are good at helping their graduates land jobs? For someone who ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

Medical Transcription School Recommendations?
Jun 22, 2010

I am very interested in narrowing down my current work experience and specializing in one field.  I have no idea on what school I should go with for a CMT diploma/certificate.  Can anyone guide me or have any great experiences with a school?  I am looking for an online school if they are worth paying the money.  This field would be fairly new to me so I need a full course of all the necessary and required courses to be marketable to a new company for job placement.  Thanks for any suggestio ...

Medical Transcription - Good School ?
Sep 12, 2010

Hi. i    want to know if anyone    know  of a good school for medical  transcription   i've been looking online but  don't knoe what  school to choose. I want a school that have internships.  Thanks! ...

Medical Transcription School - Reputable And Not A Rip-off?
Feb 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me which MT schools are reputable and not a rip-off?  I'm asking for a friend who is interested in getting into the field.  I started so many years ago that I've never had to get certified, so would appreciate any info.  Thanks! ...

Medical Transcription School Has Left Me A Little Unnerved
Feb 14, 2010

I recently had an experience with an MT school that has left me a little unnerved.  Therefore, I have a couple of questions for those who are currently attending school or have completed an MT program.  Were you provided statistics about the number of actual graduates?  Schools can have a lot of enrollees but it’s my opinion that the number of actual graduates matters. Were you provided any information about the qualifications of your instructors?  My next question is for the experienced M ...

Medical Transcription School - Penn Foster ?
Jan 02, 2011

I am new to this site. I am thinking about training to become a MT but very confused about schools I have checked on. The school I am leaning towards is Penn Foster, but the price is much cheaper than all the others. I want to get all I can from the course. If anyone has done the MT course with them let me know what you thought about it. Thank You ...

Who Would Have Copy Of Medical Transcription Certificate School Closed
Apr 12, 2010

Hi, I need my transcription certificate from Tennessee Career College which I graduated from in 2006. The school is now closed and I have misplaced original certificate. Who would have a copy of that. The Dept of Education? Thanks Lesnbek ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Career Step???
Mar 04, 2011

Does anyone know if in-state tuition for career step is $350???  That's what they told me. ...

Career Step - Knows Good Or Bad
Jan 26, 2010

I am just curious if anyone knows good or bad about Career Step Medical Transcription and Medical Billing/Coding online courses.  I would appreciate any opinoins about this particular online school.  Thank you. ...

Re: Career Step Final
Feb 03, 2010

I was curious to hear if anybody failed the second part of the final? I got a 13% on the second part only because I was having serious trouble hearing the doctor clearly. I took that final last June, and I am wanting to take the final again in May. I am worried that I am going to come across the same problem even after practicing for so many months and getting helpful tips from the Career Step final. I am currently working part-time typing overflow reports and I am doing rather well with that. S ...

Career Step Has Job Openings
Apr 28, 2010

Fancy that! ...

Enrolling In Career Step
May 11, 2010

I am going to enroll in Career step tomorow.  I looked into Andrews, but if I had the 1000 to put down I would not be looking for a new career.  LOL.  Wish me luck! ...