A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To clarify my earlier post, about inquiring to newspapers.... - Nice

Posted: Aug 19, 2013

After reading the replies, seems what I meant to say was misconstrued. When I decide to inquire to e-newspapers about exposing MModal, I meant trying to get the message out about Americans' private information going overseas, as the main point.  Ragging on how horrible the company would be just a side thing.  If people don't speak out, things don't change.  American women would not be able to vote if those strong, outspoken women way back didn't fight for that right.  I'm specifying American because still today, as you know, in many countries women can't do much of anything, like drive, vote, etc... I am also capable of "moving on/forward" and writing, all at the same time.  This is MY way of moving forward. In fact, today, day 5, I feel quite at peace.  I have literally walked off my anxiety (it was really bad, so shoot me for being sensitive).  No, I don't want to ever be an MT/ME again  and I'm not pining for my old job. No offense was taken to the below posts, but I felt I needed to clarify.  Good luck to everyone.  As always, this is a great forum. All of our voices are important and can change things.  If you allow evil to flourish, it will.

walking off anxiety - wow

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you mean that you have started walking for exercise, and in the meantime your anxiety has gone away? That's what I need to do, then.

Walking - not the OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Walking is wonderful for anxiety relief. I've noticed it's also helped me with my depression. I usually do about 2 miles a day at least. Walking, and any exercise really, releases endorphins, which are your body's natural anti-depressants.

walking off anxiety - Nice

[ In Reply To ..]
I DID start walking to get rid of anxiety, 20 years ago! My treadmill lasted 18 years without any maintenance. For all these years I have done 3 miles a day, average 5 times a week. Lately, I love walking outside, 45 to 60+ minutes. My husband joined me this weekend and I swear to you, my getting-laid-off anxiety has vanished. I'm 60, have some health issues, but I am absolutely certain I would be much worse off if I did not do this. But that's just me. Everyone's different. I envy people who are naturally calm and don't exercise and take life with a grain of salt. Try it.

Thank-you To clarify my earlier post - artlady

[ In Reply To ..]
You succinctly stated exactly the points it is hopeful that others will think about throughout these threads. Thank you so much for clarifying so beautifully. I, too, believe that this is not just about individuals losing their jobs and specifically not myself. I am lucky, I have a fulltime job, but I also am a single wage earner, taking care of an elderly parent, so this parttime work afforded me an opportunity to be self-sufficent w/o stressing over emergencies that arise. I am in that 55 and over group, who really is not interested in receiving TAA and UE, even if I qualified, which I do not. Many of us can write and hopefully inform a larger constituency AND apply for other positions at the same time, which is exactly what I have done. Actually have been taking calls and setting up interviews inbetween blogging on this site. It is about continuing to work in a field that I refuse to believe is dead, at least not right now. All our situations are differnt. It is because of people like yourself who are insightful into the bigger picture that we even have a voice as women in the workforce. I do believe this is newsworthy.

Thank you for the thank-you, artlady! - Nice

[ In Reply To ..]
Your reply was so heartwarming and beautiful, I couldn't not thank you back. My dad had Parkinson's and I took care of him until he died (when I was 26) so I empathize with you. But it goes even deeper for me. My mother died when I was 23 of a heart attack at the age of 58--literally while working overtime in a factory. She was a Polish immigrant and this was how she made a living. My mother would talk to my older sister about what a rotten boss she had, how poorly he treated his workers. I sometimes wonder how responsible he was for her heart attack, whether the stress killed her. So for her and for everyone who HAS to put up with crappy bosses and mistreatment to earn a living, I want to do this. I need to write and I will. I wish the best for you. Godspeed.

I am with you ladies - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I tried so hard to start a group to lobby this years back and to no avail. I don't care about me, I'm in the not gonna retrain age group as well. If I am fired, I will walk away, take unemployment, and do nothing. I hate companies that treat their employees poorly and I really hate that my personal information is overseas with people I consider enemies to our country. To me this is a violation of homeland security. My new approach has been to get this out on facebook and anyone that will listen. I have tried to call into the radio shows, but I can never get through. So any approach or ideas you have count me in.
Why on earth would - you
[ In Reply To ..]
India and the PI to be enemies of our country? We practically own the Philippines. I am much more worried about our precious info getting in the hands of Americans who might steal my identity. If every hospital said we won't let anyone do this work in their homes (which is really what we should be worried about) we would probably get an uproar about that too.
overseas is out of our control, no matter what company policies are, laws are different - alphamt
[ In Reply To ..]
Whatever are you people thinking, when you feel that there is no threat to Americans' personal information in the hands of foreigners, in another country with its own laws? That is not a trust situation at all. Here people can be prosecuted for HIPAA violations personal and corporate, but not overseas. Recently i had to talk with an overseas worker for a credit report agency, American company, overseas worker. When I asked a few questions, I heard snickering and the answers were returned with attitude, like I was not a customer to be assisted but one of those people who are to be handled with arrogance as if I was inferior because I have credit cards and use loans to buy house and car. I was lectured, after asking how credit was handled in the Phillipines, that they do not do things like us and the attitude conveyed was that we were stupid and bad for our choices. I do have my own qualms with how the financial meltdowns over my lifetime have stolen from the American worker, but I am an American and having my information overseas scared me. The first questions I was asked were SSN and mother's maiden name, over and over, as no one would work with me without that info. I was reassured this was an American company by a company spokesperson when I complained later about the encounter, and that using the company software protected us! I agree with the poster that there are serious problems with HIPAA going overseas, and with potential enemies of the U.S. obtaining that information, possibly selling it, etc. Once it is out of our hands it can go to any other country that wants it, or companies. I am older and have had lots of experiences on the job and in life. We are treading dangerously with our willingness to offshore private information, no doubt about it.
Thank you!! - Yes, there are serious risks!
[ In Reply To ..]
Can't understand some people's attitudes on here, thinking people overseas are bound by our laws.
Out of a - facility
[ In Reply To ..]
is probably only slightly less out of anyone's control than out of the country.

MT Debbie gets hired for access to records with what? MT test and a couple of references maybe, no background check, no license, no fingerprints, no drug screen, nothing. Debbie's latest boyfriend, husband, neighbor or slacker kid gets wind that she is typing sensitive medical documents at home with potential identity theft info. Or even Debbie herself, broke and deeply in debt from thinking she can make a living doing MT work decides to apply for a credit card with some of the info she has access to or sell it to a crime syndicate or whatever.

Does anyone seriously believe that all the laws in the world would prevent this scenario from happening if someone wanted to make it happen, yet you never hear a peep about this. Apparently the facilities, whose job it is to safeguard this info really don't seem to feel it is much of an issue.

The best protection of any of this stuff would be to keep in-house where it belongs, not outsourced anywhere, but MTs rarely complain about this because many don't live close enough or don't want to go to the facilities and do the work on site where it really can be kept safer.

You are seeing only one side of the issue - soapie12
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, sending records outside the facility is dangerous yet these facilities do this not only for MTs but for the doctors who carry around access to our personal info on laptops and other devices. Have you ever listened to a report and heard the doctor's family in the background because he is dictating from home? I have. If I can hear them in the background, I'm pretty sure they can hear at least some of what the doctor is saying too. At least as an MT using headphones, anyone trying to listen can't hear anything but the clickety click of the keyboard.

The scenario you describe can happen whether the MT works from home or in the facility. If the MT is the one set on using that info, on or offsite will not matter. The point you are missing is we have rules in the USA concerning MT home office setup and computer locks that are not required in other countries. I cannot even begin to work without at least 2 areas where I have to login with an ID and password then have different ones for each program I use to access reports once I get to my desktop. This on top of a company I worked for making random stops at MTs homes to make sure their workstations were in their own separate room with a lock on the door and the screen not able to be seen through a window. If you were caught without that, you were brought back into the office until such time as you could do that or, if you couldn't, you were let go. Other countries don't require that. An MT can be personally sued for any info leaked and traced back to them, you cannot do that with an MT from another country, they don't have to worry about coughing up 5 grand for each incident and being jailed.

Don't kid yourself and don't criticize us who are looking at the WHOLE picture while you still have your blinders on. Offshoring is a much greater concern than offsiting the work. We onshore workers take more of a risk than offshore workers simply because of those laws.
we are not at war with India - youve got it mixed up with something else nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
"People I consider enemies to our country?" - How awful.
[ In Reply To ..]
India is a beautiful country with many, many beautiful people. They are not enemies to our country. How sad that you feel this way. I've been to India and lived on a houseboat, doing odd jobs and living off the kindness of others. I'll never forget my time there and the people who took care of me. I think it's very sad you consider them an enemy because of MT. They are just doing their jobs. Blame the people who are sending the work away, not the people who are just working for a living.

Similar Messages:

Hi Kiki, Your Earlier Post
Dec 08, 2009

I know I saw one of your earlier posts about the shareholder's meeting, I just can't find it now.  There are some very interesting things in there, which is why I recommended  to read it carefully.  You can Google these people for background before voting. ...

Keystrokers, Regarding Earlier Layoff Post
Jun 12, 2014

I do not know what I can mention here, but was the HR person’s first name who was let go start with a K?  I ask because I replied to their job posting that stated they were rolling back the clock and needed to hire 40 MTs.  I sent in my resume in response to the pediatrics account because a while back, I was an MT at a children’s hospital in a very large city.  I stated I knew my skills were old but that I was submitting my resume anyway for their consideration.  ...

Inquiring About ETransPlus
May 01, 2010

Inquiring about eTransPlus...anybody know any info about this company? Pros and cons? ...

Please Clarify...
Nov 30, 2009

I am in the process of testing for a company that is not medical transcription.  The work is transcribing verbatim  news reports.  I have only done medical transcription and legal and both of those are based on either lines or page.  Can someone tell me if this pay is good or not? "We pay based on bytes typed (a byte being equal to a keystroke) at a rate of US$0.83/1,000 bytes." ...

Please Help Clarify
Dec 16, 2012

Can someone please clarify something for me?  I make eight (8) cents per line (cpl), but someone told me I'm making point eight (0.8) cpl.  Tell me I'm not losing it, please. Thanks! ...

CONTACT LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ABOUT LAYOFFS!
Sep 03, 2010

If anyone is in the Atlanta, Georgia area or in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area who was laid off 2 days ago by Webmedx and is obviously still upset about it, as I am, I think it would be a good idea to notify any local newspapers in these 2 cities regarding the recent massive layoff at Webmedx, Inc. I believe the Atlanta office is their headquarters and the Pittsburgh office is their operations office.  I know they also have an office in Brentwood, Tennessee, but I'm ...

Will Be Sending Inquiries To E-newspapers About MModal.
Aug 19, 2013

...asking if they are interested in an article or essay (heck we practically do that on this board) about what's going on.  Off-shoring is an interesting topic. Will invite them to read this forum. There are many e-news places such as Huffington Post, New York Times, etc.  Awareness needs to be spread. We on this board already know what's going on...other people don't.  Laid-off Day-5. ...

Inquiring Old Minds Want To Know. Are We Back To Writing Out Numbers 1-10 Now? Sm
Mar 28, 2011

This is one of the endless list of reasons why I get so fed up with Benchmark and so called "rules".   Forever I was always taught to write out numbers 1-10 in text; but then Benchmark guidelines  (and MQ followed thereafter) that we were to use numeric nomenclature; that is unless the two (or is it 2) numbers appeared next to each other.   So all you 300 lph people who say they are 100% accurate on their reports, what IS the correct way now?   I just got ...

Its Really Sad What A Dictator Needs To Clarify These Days
Jun 11, 2012

Not only are they spelling everything, I just had one say:  "Vitamin D as in dog...and please don't type 'as in dog' that's just to clarify the letter of the vitamin." ...

Finishing Andrews Earlier?
Mar 20, 2015

I see that on the Andrews website, the average time to finish the coding course is 12 months. I have lots of time to devote to the course, and it would be nice to finish it earlier. Has anyone here finished the course earlier? How long did it take you? How many hours a week did you devote to it? ...

Hyperhidrosis - S/l Any Inciting Earlier Factors
Apr 05, 2012

Not sure after or... Her episodes do not have any particular relationship to stress or s/l any inciting earlier factors... ...

Rumor Earlier In 2012 That Transtech Was Going To
Jan 15, 2013

be acquired.  Did that ever happen?  Is it going to?  Already been through 2 acquisitions and don't want to do it again, so want to know Transtech status before possibly applying.  Any info?  Thanks ...

Earlier Talk About Keeping Your Office Under
Jun 12, 2013

A few weeks ago there was talk about people thinking we should keep our work/office under lock and key, that someone was going to be showing up and because of the HIPAA law, we would be in big trouble, prosecuted, arrested, whatever. I have something to run past those that were posting. Ok, so today I take my husband to have a procedure done. I am called back to his room as he is awakening and there are 2 people sharing this room with a drawn curtain between them. The doctor comes in to talk ...

TTS Keeps Advertising. I Applied Earlier This Year Sm
Apr 03, 2014

I took their test and passed.  I emailed them several times. They contacted me once and said they were filling full time positions first (I want part time to begin because I want to see before I commit to 40 hours a week if I can make money).  I have worked for a teaching hospital for 30 years. Oh well. If they contact me now, I'll say "NO, THANK YOU!!" ...

Weird Ad Overlapping Dictation Earlier.
Oct 06, 2014

Before the crash, I was in the middle of a report when an ad for an animal shelter came on, encouraging adopting a pet.  It played over and over, drowning out the dictator's voice.  I thought I had triggered it somehow, but couldn't figure out how to get rid of it.  I tried to ignore it, but it was hard to hear the dictation, so I hit "Abandon."  Suddenly, the overlapping voice stopped.  Yay!  I was able to cancel the abandon and finish the report.  S ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

I Saw Him Earlier Because Of These Blisters On His Hand, Which I Felt Was S/l Pompholyx To Do (see M
Jan 01, 2012

I saw him earlier because of these blisters on his hand, which I felt was s/l pompholyx to do and he responded well to topical steroids. ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

Postdischarge, Post-discharge, Or Post Discharge?
Nov 14, 2011

Which one do you guys use?  I find it all 3 ways on the net, with no clear indication as to what's correct.  Thx.   ...

Post Audit And Now A Post Audit M Report!!
Jan 19, 2015

Has anybody gotten the above email stating now there are 2 post audit reports that we have to pull?  The regular one and now a post audit m report???  What is this for???  This gets crazier every day ...

Post Op?
Nov 21, 2009

Hi everyone!  Just a quick question.  Is it post op or postop?  Have had this changed both ways recently and have never had this questioned before and am now second guessing myself.  Thanks! ...

There Was A Post Regarding IC/Emp And IRS That Was
May 11, 2010

It was a post that very clearly stated some IRS stuff and some case law, I believe?  There is a group of us who worked for a company and pretty much all of us got burned!  And we're talking tens of thousands of dollars collectively in one month!  So, I am doing some reasearch to see if this former company violated the IC status by paying an hourly wage and need some concrete stuff to make my case.  I tried an archive search, but that didn't work.  It was just w ...

PTO And My Former Post
Jul 13, 2011

After so many questioned my former post, I reviewed MQ's PTO policy.  They state a maximum of 18 days for full-time employees which is 3 days more than I was offered when I last worked full-time (after 30 years).  For those of you who say you are getting 22 or 28 days - I don't know how you managed it but consider yourselves lucky.  I  hope you continue to get it.  And by the way, when I take time off now it is unpaid (as a flexible part-time employee) and was ...

Not Sure Where To Post This, But I Need To Know
Oct 04, 2011

how to stop an abbreviation from expanding in Emdat.  I cannot find it in the manual or on the help screen.  Please help!!  TIA ...

Where To Post?
Jul 18, 2012

I have a 3rd edition BOS W/ electronic version that I want to get rid of. I can't seem to find a for sale board. Where would I post it or is that not allowed here? ...

From The Post Below, About MTs
Aug 17, 2012

http://hdstoday.com/?tag=mmodal Below are highlights of the news article In light of the One Equity Partners purchase of M*Modal, I predicted that within the next 12 to 18 months we may see OEP turn around and sell off M*Modal’s speech recognition technology to the likes of Microsoft, especially if Apple spends some of its cache of cash on Nuance. A $12 billion buyout of Nuance by Apple would dwarf the $1.2 billion M*Modal acquisition, and it would also put control of a huge chunk o ...

Had To Post This One
Feb 05, 2013

ASR respirations 17 culprit organism Dicatate respiratons 17 per minute you just cant make this stuff up ...