A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is there anything good about M-Modal and Nuance? - getting desparate

Posted: Dec 25, 2013

I've reached the point where I'll work for almost any company, even M-Modal or Nuance, if it means I can get a steady paycheck.  My current company is going down the tubes fast.  I've hung in here as long as I possibly can, but I think it's an exercise in futility. 

Does anyone at M-Modal or Nuance have any positive experiences, or is it really as bad as all the posts make it sound?  Surely there must be "something" good, or they wouldn't have so many thousands of MTs working for them.  But then again, maybe not.  Ugh.  I never thought it would come to this.

Good - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The only good thing I can say is that any money coming in is better then none. I'm looking.

I'm at MM. They pay on time - and my TSM

[ In Reply To ..]
Pretty much leaves me alone. Some of my accounts aren't bad. 99.6% accuracy sucks. Good luck to you!

am with with you, MM pays on time. I like my accounts and my TSM - just wish it paid more

[ In Reply To ..]
I get the days off I ask for, they pretty much leave me alone. I am back in school and have a back up plan but right now I am happy with life at MModal. I honestly wish I could just hit Fantasy 5 for enough to pay off my house and bills and I would be happy working with M2 for the $12 average it pays but like I said, i'm back in school because of the pay cut. I really dread getting back out into the public and working but I don't see any way around it.
I could never get used to a company that SM - May
[ In Reply To ..]
monitors every minute/second you are on or off the system, keystrokes, typing or not typing, monitors your potty breaks,etc., not matter how great they are otherwise. I could think of very few jobs where they would get by with this, in-house or at-home jobs.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt they would get by with this if this were an industry dominated by MEN - who probably would not let themselves be pushed around so easily.
Wow if they monitor like that, I should have been fired long ago - goodness knows...sm
[ In Reply To ..]
i have taken my fair share of breaks and even ran down the street to the grocery store and nobody has ever said a word to me.
The sad thing is SM - Me2
[ In Reply To ..]
why you should have to "run" in the first place.

Are they actually paying for our time? Then we shouldn't have to account for every second of it.
Yeah true, but I never punch out for breaks. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
GOOD ABOUT MM.... ARE U KIDDING! - gltrgrammi
[ In Reply To ..]
There is nothing good about MM, except we are paid on time. That's it!! Since they bought out the former company I worked for my pay has dropped about $1200 a month. I am now making between $10-14 an hour; pretty pathetic considering I used to make about $32-35 an hour. Totally controlling, monitoring your every move It's ridiculous! It's kind of like being in prison, in your own home. I asked them is this really necessary, and got no response. My advice to you, get any other job you can find, Walmart (truly they make more than us with benefits), retail, fast food. Trust me, ANYTHING is better than MM. Never been so miserable in my life. The reason people stay, because there isn't much out there, unless you want nights or weekends only; I'm not willing to do either, but I am still looking and praying something else will turn up. One good thing, I am on SS, so I don't have much longer to put up with this ____!
If you are old enough for SS, you are certainly old enough - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
to go potty by yourself without big brother/sister looking over your shoulder & "timing" you. (No disrespect intended, only IMHO.)

mm - anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked for MM for about 10 years. The company used to be wonderful but not anymore. They do pay on time and some of the account are not too bad but you we are constantly running out of work and each time you get used to change, another one comes up. Constant change and constant restructuring. No bonus,no incentive, no raises... In fact, I have made way less than half of what I made a year or two ago... decreasing pay... all negative changes....it is a terrible place - they do nothing for their employees but bring them down and beat them down. All support is from India an I do not know if others with mm experience this but finding another job after being here is pretty much impossible. I have tried and tried now for six months and no response or replies from anyone that I have applied with. In the 10-11 years, I have had 10 different supervisors and they too, depending on who you get, can either make it a little better or a much worse place to be....
What are their pay days, twice monthly SM - Lou
[ In Reply To ..]
or every 2 weeks? I've applied with them & would appreciate any info. Thx.
Every two weeks - Obi Wan
[ In Reply To ..]
and "may the force be with you."

MModal..not really. It is pretty much the worst place I've worked in 20 years..sm - Dead and dying

[ In Reply To ..]
Not of my own choice as we were taken over. They pay on time, but I really loathe the place. Five months to go?

I had a positive experience working for MModal - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I was acquired through my hospital outsourcing our dept to them. I was a tier 3 making 6 cents per line for editing and 10 cents per line for straight typing. I hardly ever got straight typing though.

At any rate, I always had work & on the days I didn't average much an hour it was because I wasn't focused. They had MME's for QA and they were not allowed to grade your reports, basically just fill in blanks. We had quality coaches that did audits. I was there almost 2 years and only had one audit.

I thought it was a pretty peaceful job. Nobody bothered me and the only emails I got regularly were from my supervisor (forgot what they call them..TSM?? maybe). Those emails were just the daily stats for the accounts on our team. I worked in the North region. I left about 7 or 8 months ago for a non-MT job, but would have stayed on part-time if they didn't require 24 hours a wk.

Best I can tell is to give it a shot, everyone's experience is different and who knows, yours might not be too bad.

P.S. - One good thing about

[ In Reply To ..]
working for the big companies like Nuance and MModal is that you don't have to worry about not getting paid on time. My check was deposited into my account on time faithfully, like clockwork. I know with some of the smaller companies that can sometimes be a concern if they are lose accounts and such. I have read posts on here where people were late getting paid and some posts where people didn't get paid at all.

At least with the larger companies like MM and Nuance, they are pretty reputable and the chances of not getting paid are slim to none. So that's something to consider.

Like the first poster said, some money coming in is better than no money at all. Good luck. Apply at both and go with which ever hires you first. Worse case scenario, at least you will have a paycheck coming in until you find better if it turns out you don't like it. You gotta do what you gotta do.

How do we get paid? SM - SamMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Is it via mailed check or via PayPal or debit card or something of the sort?

(I was involved in a bankruptcy several months ago due to a jointly-held business & now am reluctant to hold a checking or savings account for direct deposit.)

How To Get Dir Deposit - sefrost53

[ In Reply To ..]
You can always buy one of those cards where you put money on them and use it like a regular debit card and direct deposit account. One is called Green Card or something like that. Google it.

MM insurance is better; 500 deductible vs 2500 at Nuance. . SM - stuckatNuance

[ In Reply To ..]
wish I hadn't left MM but I did, and without notice, so they won't hire me back.

Yes insurance is good and reasonable premium. - for just me I paid like $30 or $40 a pay-period.

[ In Reply To ..]

I won't need insurance - OP

[ In Reply To ..]

Forgot to mention that I already have excellent insurance with my full time university job, which is not MT-related. 

So are you just looking for part-time work? - you said you work for a university..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If so, you should be fine working for nuance or mmodal. You dont need insurance. I would think either will do since they wont be your primary source of income. Your original post sounded like you were strictly relying on your current company. Good luck, hope you find what your looking for soon.
need part-time only - OP
[ In Reply To ..]

Right....I need part-time hours as an MT.  I had to go to part-time a few years ago, after 20+ years full-time.  One company after another closed, so I went to work at the university in a completely different job category and kept transcribing at home during evenings and weekends.  My current company doesn't have enough work to keep all of us MTs busy.  It looks like M-Modal and Nuance always have work.  I'm just leery of them because of all the stress people are under there. 

Oh, I see. What about Keystrokes? Not as big but always - hiring.
[ In Reply To ..]
I have read complaints about them too, but not as often.
Keystrokes a possibility - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
That's a good idea. I'll apply to Keystrokes. I love my company, but sitting here night after night with NJA is really getting to me. It's never been this bad before.
Keystrokes has an ad on the job seekers board right - now. Apply for the two biggies and them.
[ In Reply To ..]
between the 3, you should get one of them.
Keystrokes - OP
[ In Reply To ..]

I'm going for it.  Keystrokes, Nuance, and M-Modal.  I thought Keystrokes was owned by Nuance, but maybe they still hire separately from Nuance.

They are not owned by Nuance; they are one of the few still standing. sm - HappyKSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I left both Nuance and MM TWICE each. Two different companies I worked for were bought by each of them and I refuse to work for either of them. Keystrokes has been good to work for, and I've been there 4 years.
This may help - read the MM and N boards. - Look at the posts
[ In Reply To ..]
that mention OOW and NJA, both mean no work! I work at MM, and I am reading this post now because I have NJA (no jobs available). Also earlier in the year MM laid off about 200 part time workers (MT/ME), some with well over 20 years experience. They did this to try to provide work to full time employees, but many of us still don't have enough work.

Which of the 2 has better dental plan? - SM - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm pretty much covered by hubby's medical & will be eligible for Medicare the end of this year ... but need a pretty decent dental plan with low deductible, if possible.

Thinking...... - Still thinking

[ In Reply To ..]
Got nothin.

I love you guys (gals)! - OP

[ In Reply To ..]

I wish I could reach across and give each of you a great big Christmas hug.  Smile  Especially "Still Thinkin'," who can't think of anything good to say about it.  Laughing

I like what the first poster said, that any paycheck is better than none.  The 99.6% accuracy part scares me, although I usually get 100% on audits with my current company. 

I feel like this time next year the only 2 companies left in the industry will be M-Modal and Nuance.  They will have hungrily garbled up all of the smaller companies.  Might as well get on board while the train's still at the station, I guess. 

Merry Christmas, everybody!

A big Christmas hug to you too - Still thinking

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad I made smile. I'll be here all week! One more thing, I'm still thinking, still got nothin.

Something Good About Nuance - sefrost53

[ In Reply To ..]
I just started Nuance as a new graduate on 11/18, and so far I have enjoyed the steady pay checks, paid training, minimum wage coverage until I am fast enough to hit my LC. My team leader and other supervisors are pretty cool, patient with my newbie slowness, assuring me that I have 90 days to get my skills up to snuff. I am stressing that I'll take too long to "get it" and get fired. I've been making the stupidest mistakes, stuff I should know better not to do, and questions about accessing patient demographics, etc. that I need to have answered. After being OOW for over 3 yrs at 60 years old, I'm glad I have a job. I just hope I can keep it. Anybody else out there have trouble in the beginning?

sefrost53: Having trouble in the begining is to - be expected. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I have always thought it was best for someone getting started in this job to start out in a hospital or clinic setting where there are other transcriptionist around that can lend an ear to your dictations when you have questions and kind of mentor you when you have questions. Unfortunately those type of opportunities don't really exist anymore.

Your question opens up a whole new topic of discussion and should have been a separate thread in itself posted on the main board. There are probably other MTs in your situation or who have recently been in your situation who can better answer your post and relate to your experience.

I don't have much of an answer because I always worked in the hospital setting up until 3 years ago, but certainly can understand your concern.

New - Been there

[ In Reply To ..]
It is always tough in the beginning and you always worry that you are not going to make it, but they know that it takes time to get up to speed. I wouldn't worry. Just hang in there:)

MM positive. - Feedback mechanism.

[ In Reply To ..]
The mechanism for feedback is really straightforward, easy to access, nicely integrated into the software. Your text and audio file automatically come up so you can listen again, and you can jump straight to whatever feedback was left on your QA markers (blanks). I really like the setup and have learned a lot from the feedback.

Similar Messages:

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

Anything Good To Say About M*Modal?
Jan 10, 2013

I am wondering if there is anything good to say about M*Modal? I frequent the message boards and do see a lot of negatives. Here's the deal, I had a great job working for a small company and then they lost the account I was on. That was over a week ago. I have sent out resumes and checked the job boards only to find no one is hiring or they want more experience. I have a little over 2 years experience. I am trying not to panic but as you can see if I am considering M*Modal things must b ...

M*Modal - Anything Good To Say About This Company?
Jun 13, 2012

Anything good to say about this company?  They are advertising for acute care FT home based.  Anyone know the line rate?  I understand they pay Radiology reports by report, anyone know that rate?  Anyone been with them more than a year?  What about the sign on bonus?  Anyone ever receive that? ...

Okay M*Modal, What Good Is Our Insurance Anyway?
May 29, 2015

I'm venting here.  I've been on the phone for a couple of hours trying to find an eye doctor that accepts our insurance.  I went as far as 50 miles away and there is nothing.  Their site gives you who they say accepts the insurance, but when you call to verify it you are told...no, we con't accept Cigna Vision/Cigna.  What are we paying for anyway.  I've had an appointment set up for 2 months for an eye doctor and they called this morning to say my in ...

Decided To Take A Job Doing SR With M-modal. Is That A Good Program?
Jan 26, 2012

I have limited experience with SR..  did it for a while about 4 years ago.  Couldn't make any money on it though.  I'm hoping this program is a lot better than the one I used back then and will actually LEARN.  Can people make money doing SR now??  Sadly, though, I think this is the future of transcription. ...

Nuance Vs. MQ/M*Modal
Apr 15, 2012

Anyone worked for MQ before Nuance who can say which is worse/better?  Sick and tired of M*Modal.  I'm sure there are comments somewhere on the board about this before, but I can't find them.  Thanks! ...

M*Modal Or Nuance
Aug 26, 2012

Which company is better to work for, M*Modal or Nuance?  I'd like some honest, positive feedback on each company before I decide which one to sign with.  Thank you!! ...

M-Modal/Nuance QA
Oct 21, 2012

Nuance Fiesa QA program is a PITA.  How is M-Modal's QA system in comparison? ...

Nuance Vs M*Modal
Dec 11, 2012

I currently work for Assistmed, but have a phone interview with Nuance and M*Modal later this week.  I have read all the reviews about both companies and still not sure which is better.  Anyone have any experience with either of the two or any input on which company is better?  ...

Nuance/M-modal
Aug 17, 2013

I wonder if M-modal is trying desperately to keep their heads above water so as not to be bought out by Nuance.  I just can't fathom all these layoffs.  I'm really truly sorry.  How heavy your hearts must be right now.   It's just incomprehensible that they would do this to all of you.   ...

Nuance Vs. M-Modal
Jan 02, 2014

I just accepted an offer from Nuance.  I know, I know.  I used to work for M-Modal when it was Medquist three years ago.  I loved the DocQScribe platform.  Has anyone gone from working for M-Modal to Nuance?  Was there any change in the way lines were counted?  How do you compare working on Nuance's platform versus that of M-Modal? ...

M-Modal Or Nuance
Jan 13, 2014

Good Intentions.  Which is the better company MM or Nuance? ...

Nuance Or M*Modal?
Mar 26, 2014

I've learned a lot from the M*Modal side, but now if you don't mind I would like to ask questions about Nuance. 1. Do they hire part-time, and if yes what might a schedule consist of? 2. What are the line requirements? 3. Weekend work required? 4. What shifts are offered, do they have 1st/2nd/3rd? And, just about anything that is on your mind. TIA! ...

If You Had To Pick - Nuance Or M*Modal?
Jul 21, 2012

I've read more bad than good on both companies. ...

Same Thing At Nuance As M*Modal?
Apr 04, 2013

I'm in shock about all the layoffs at M*Modal this morning!  I'm sure everyone else is too.  I'm scared/worried the same thing might happen to Nuance now.  I see job postings all the time for both companies.  It's crazy how they hire all these people and then layoff a bunch of people.  I'm curious to know how many people in total got laid off.  Does anyone else see this coming at Nuance?  ...

Losing M-Modal With Nuance Acquisition
May 21, 2012

Can you tell me what we will notice or how we will be impacted when M-Modal is taken away from Transcend/Nuance employees.  (If indeed it is taken away.) TIA. ...

Transcend/Nuance - M-Modal Question.
Jun 20, 2012

When Wmx was taken over M-modal was taken from us.  Do you at Transcend still use it and are you having it taken away also?  ...

Opinions On M-Modal Versus Nuance.
Jul 09, 2012

Working right now for NTS (lots of dirt here), but would like some honest opinions on M-Modal.  They sent me an email wanting me to test (as i am sure they have many others), and today I got an automated phone call from them.  Anyone know if this would be an improvement?  Thanks! ...

M*Modal Or Nuance? Pros And Cons?
Sep 19, 2012

. ...

Interesting Article, Nuance/M*Modal 20% Of Tx Business. Sm
May 22, 2012

Although this article dates back to March, I found it interesting. Had no idea that Nuance and MQ (M*Modal) only had 20% of the transcription business when this was written in March, 2012. http://seekingalpha.com/article/408141-can-transcend-services-write-its-own-ticket ...

Job Hunting.....which Is Better - Nuance Or M'Modal? Have Read All Posts.
Jun 27, 2012

Now taking a poll.   :) ...

This Blog Might Interest Those That Work For Nuance Or M*Modal
Jul 11, 2012

Is There A Market Reshuffling On The Horizon For The Medical Transcription Industry? Today I’m going to indulge in something I rarely do, much to the exasperation of my wife Carol. A goodly number of our conversations begin with her asking me, “What do you suppose…” and end with me saying, “I don’t have a clue.” I’m not sure if this reluctance to speculate is a guy thing or just a facet of my own particular personality, but for once I’m g ...

Hmmm Interesting Read About Nuance Trying To Buy M*Modal
Jul 17, 2012

No clue what this means to us peons working the trenches, but interesting, see link: http://hdstoday.com/?p=143   ...

Left Medquist (M*Modal) To Work For Webmedx (Nuance). Now Thinking Of Going Back. Sm
Nov 02, 2012

Is anyone in the same boat?  I am seriously contemplating it because I can't afford my medications, groceries, rent, bills, living, etc. anymore. ...

Good-by, Nuance
Nov 17, 2014

I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.  ...

Nuance Good Or Bad
Jan 15, 2015

I've been an MLS for 24 years.  Been with the same company working from home for the last 13 years.  Continuing to run out of work every day.  Looking for new company.  Have a potential job offer from Nuance.  Everything sounds good, but then I look up reviews!  Does anyone work as an MLS for Nuance?  Can you please tell me the absolute truth about the pay, QA, etc. etc. ...

Nuance...good Or Bad To Work For?
Jul 12, 2011

Hi - I am looking for recent and current info on Nuance.  I have heard good things about them and bad, but want to hear from someone who currently works there.  Do they make you stick to a certain schedule or are they flexible?  How is QA?  Do the account managers or team leads have multiple accounts to oversee or just 1 or 2?  How is their communication?  Are they friendly enough that one could possible enjoy their job again? Thanks in advance for any information ...

Nuance What's The Good News?
Apr 12, 2013

I really appreciate all the replies, good and bad.  I guess the good new is we the displaced have time on our sides in that we have 58 days to make a decision about our future employment, I believe the union did get us that.  I'm definitely going to look at other companies, possibly independent contractor positions.  There are some leaving who have kids/families they are supporting, I am 59, only support myself so I have that at least.  Appreciate MTStars board. ...

Nuance - What's The Good News?
Apr 11, 2013

We got the news yesterday, offered jobs at Nuance doing our same doctors.  I understand we have to clock in, and will now have to pay for insurance, internet not reimbursed, less pay, very large company.  We work on Escription with small amount of straight typing. They say will transfer our seniority, etc.  I have read on this board in the past that thngs may start out well but don't neccesarrily stay that way, things go downhill.  I would love hear from someone who works there and like ...

Has Anyone Ever Had A GOOD Experience With Nuance
Feb 18, 2015

Please let me know ...