Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: gall bladder surgery.. (Views: 58)

Reality calling... - Backwoods Typist

Posted: Apr 15th, 2016 - 2:26 am In Reply to: MTs - Demand Respect! - Belinda C.

Your post basically says what we have been saying all long....that being that we should band together and stop all this crap. Thing is, these large MTSOs use our remote status to their advantage. They know that jobs are becoming few and far between or that we have our own reasons for needing to work from home. They take full advantage and they have us by the short hairs because good-paying jobs, or at least those that make getting out of bed and driving 30+ minutes one way, are hard to come by. In my area, you are lucky to find a job paying over 10 an hour.

Even if we all called in "sick" or just walked out, our replacements are waiting overseas or at the smaller outsource companies that they utilize.

Another thing going against us is the fact that hospitals are increasingly going to the use of scribes. There are scribe jobs where I am, but they pay less than 9 an hour. For me, that would barely cover gas and wear and tear. I would be car poor. Anyway, I am not going back to the hospital I used to work for after the way my department was treated when outsourced.

Many things have lead to the ongoing degradation of our once proud career field. Cheap overseas labor, software, among others. We can protest, go the media, cry until we are blue in the face. There are some things we can do something about because there are already laws in place to say they cannot do that, but they take advantage of the loopholes. Their group of overpaid lawyers make sure of it. They need us...for now. Until they sell all medical facilities their point and click programs, send it all overseas because no Americans will work for them, or scribes take over.

On the other hand, MTSOs have had to change in order to compete in one form or another, but they have no excuse for the shenanigans they pull now. They have dirty hands and they know it. It is only a matter of time before Karma catches up, and I have a feeling it will not be much longer.

We were once clamored over for our skills, often being snatched up another department if you wanted to leave. Now, when a potential employer looks at our resume, they assume we just sit and type and nothing else. They do not give thought to what we really do, which is a lot and requires a lot of skills. Which usually means our resumes are thrown in the reject pile instead of getting to know the real truth in an interview.

I have given up on MT. There is no hope that I see that this could even remotely go back to its former status. Some jobs will remain, that is true, but we have to admit that the demand will never be what it once was and pay will equate to that of a fast food worker. I am almost done with my Associate degree and am already brushing up my resume and working with career services to get out. I am tired of being beaten and made to feel like a crappy transcriptionist when I know it is not the truth. I cant wait to turn up my middle finger and walk away. There is life beyond MT and life is too short to just sit and hope and wait. Do that too long and before you know it, you have missed out on a lot of opportunities, a lot of time with family, and have become a person that you despise, in a black hole of despair the likes of which you have never seen before. I have chosen to make myself happy. Everybody deserves to be happy and nobody deserves what these a-holes pump out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)