A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

This is what I hear; how do I type it correctly? CV; S1 and S2 normal rate and rhythm. - MT29

Posted: Aug 09, 2013

nm.  Thanks.

CV: S1 and S2, normal rate and rhythm. nm - NYMT

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

unless.... - memls

[ In Reply To ..]
your account specs specify to spell out subheadings, then you would spell out cardiovascular.

This might help explain it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This is what the doctor means: "I hear S1 and S2 heart sounds. There is a normal rate and rhythm."

He's just shortening this to "S1 and S2, normal rate and rhythm."

Note that there is a colon (:) after the heading, not a semicolon (;). Just pointing this out because you used 2 of them incorrectly in your post.

On my job for the last 24 years for a clinic, we have always used semicolon and don't use BOS r - MT28

[ In Reply To ..]
unfortunately am not real familiar with BOS editions. Any advice appreciated.

Are you the OP? - Suggestion

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are the OP, you might want to get the BOS and review it. You may find it very helpful. You can also ask your company for a style guide, but they expected you to know this material before they hired you, so asking about it might not be wise.

This is a punctuation issue, not a whim or something that can be done according to preference. In written English, the colon is used where you were using the semicolon. The rule applies to the New York Times, publishers of books, students writing term papers, emails at work, and posts on internet boards, as well as medical reports.

The fact that you were made to do it that way for 24 years does not mean it is correct or even acceptable.

Similar Messages:

Is $12/hour The Normal Rate For QA? Seems Kinda Low, But I'm Nm
Apr 26, 2012

ssss ...

So My Normal Type Your Own CC Accounts
Jan 20, 2014

And I got more of some of the normal accounts..And guess what? Line count almost doubled. So how is this fair to us that are stuck on thes accounts on a day in and day out basis? ...

28 Blanks. Cannot Hear It, Cannot Edit/type It.
May 15, 2015

After giving the information to QAM and TSM for more than a year, I am not giving anymore free time letting them know. ...

Anyone Every Hear Of: ...slip And Fall Foose-type Mechanism?
Mar 06, 2014

"foose-type"? ...

What Is A Good Cpl Rate For This Type Of Work?
Apr 27, 2010

I am subcontracting for a smallish MTSO. My main account is acute care (including op notes) with about 25% ESLs. Secondary account is clinic and very easy. Good, user-friendly platform. ...

Now To Type Heart Rate In 1-teens
Jan 26, 2011

nm ...

Baseline Normal Or Near Normal Thyroid Function Studies
Mar 15, 2011

baseline normal or near normal thyroid function studies. Is "near normal" hyphenated, or no? Thank you. ...

Hemoglobin Normal With Normal S/l Cell In Dis Thees With An MCV Of 89.
May 26, 2010

s/l cell in dis thees with an MCV of 89.  ...

S/l EKG: Brief Dysfunctional Rhythm.
Aug 11, 2010

Could this be correct? Thanks,   Abby ...

A-paced Rhythm?
Aug 22, 2011

I have heard this word/phrase several times now in dealing with cardiology reports. I am wondering what the correct way to write this is. The phrase is "a-paced." Context: "The patient A-paced 14% of the time and ventricular paced 31% of the time." Does anyone know what that means exactly and what the correct way to write it is? A paced? A-paced or a-paced? Thanks for your help! :) ...

Laryngoscope Showed Normal Vocal Cords And Normal "tuberous Tugors".
Jul 15, 2012

? ...

Completely Lose My Rhythm When
Jul 31, 2010

Okay-- finally got a few jobs to do after hours of NJA. But I lost my rhythm. I don't even know what to do with them. I feel like a cat looking at some strange object on the floor and tapping it with its paw. What are those two weird things in my queue? I look at them. Then I check my email. Then I look at the things in the queue again. Then I go get something to drink. In the back of my mind, it seems like there is something I need to do about those things in my queue, but I can' ...

Electroencephalogram: Unremarkable With 9 Hz Posterior *donum* Rhythm. Thanks. Nm
Apr 15, 2010

nm ...

Christmas Carol For MT's - :Do You Hear What I Hear?" Nm
Nov 29, 2009

nm ...

Neck: Normal "tesseril" Motion And Normal "effort"?
Nov 30, 2012

PE on neurologist consult. Pt with spinal sarcoma.  Doc is a pretty clear dictator.  Not sure if "tesseril" is actually "tests for all" or what.  How about "effort".  Is this customary in a neuro consult?  Thanks for any suggestions.      ...

Her IV Insulin, "alagril" Rhythm Protocol Was Initiated...
Apr 26, 2010

Question is "alagril" rhythm protocol  can not find Alagril  TIA ...

Sounds Like "Wortz" Rhythm Atrial Fibrillation
Mar 22, 2013

It sounds like the doctor is saying "Worst or Wortz" rhythm atrial fibrillation. Looked in Stedmans cardiology, Dorlands, etc. and even the internet, but can not find anything that resembles this. Help please ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

DQS Does Not Seem To Be Working Correctly.
Dec 04, 2009

Not sure why is it not working and I cant get into DQM. ...

Do I Have This Transcribed Correctly?
Feb 09, 2010

I transcribed D5.45 normal saline.  Is D5.45 correct, or how would you transcribe it? ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If I Have This Transcribed Correctly
Feb 10, 2010

I am not familiar with the terminology and I want to make sure I have this transcribed correctly.  This is what I have, "CT of the head shows an old posterotemporal, intraparietal, and right occipital cerebrovascular accident."   Is this correct? ...

Would Like To Know If I Am Typing This Correctly SM
Mar 14, 2010

Dictated:  ....recently diagnosed with 1p minus and 4q minus deletions. Transcribed:  ...recently diagnosed with 1p- and 4q- deletions. ...

Is This Correctly Transcribed
Apr 17, 2010

Cholesterol profile:  Total cholesterol 182, LDL 120, HDL 82, triglycerides 75. ...

Is This Punctuated Correctly?
Aug 05, 2010

history of stage IIIA, T4, N2, M0, non-small-cell lung cancer.     ...

How To Write Something Correctly
Sep 02, 2010

Dictated as "a year and a half ago." Do I type it as such or do I change to 1-1/2 years ago?? Thanks for your help! ...

They Are Calculating OT Correctly
Sep 21, 2012

Heard back from the Department of Labor who verified that OT is calculated correctly.  Per the client library, FAQ June 2012, it is calculated as an hourly rate and then we are paid 50% of that.  They recalculate this every pay period based on how many lines we did, divided by 80.  Just updating everyone.  ...

Please Oh Please Spell Your Kid's Name CORRECTLY!
Aug 11, 2013

Anybody else work for a Peds clinic and get driven CRAZY due to the odd spelling of all of these kid names these days?  It seems like almost every single time, I spell the name wrong and when I check for correction on my list, I always have to change it, which I cannot do until the END of the report!  I am so tired of these names:  Jennipher, Ryleigh, Austen, Allysin, Emilee.  I mean, what was wrong with Jennifer, Riley, Austin, Allison and Emily?  Why did we have to cha ...

Is There Anybody Out There Who Still Knows How To Use Punctuation Correctly?
Feb 21, 2014

I don't want to be too harsh, but some people need to go back to English class. All I do all day long is correct really, really basic, childish, stupid punctuation mistakes. Granted, most of them really don't make a different in the meaning of the sentence, but how would you feel if you were the one reading your medical report and it looked like crap or maybe faulty punctuation did change the meaning of what was in your report? Some representative examples I see all the time: S ...

How Would This Sentence Sound Correctly?
Oct 13, 2009

Dr says:   He did have, while after a long day of hiking at Philmont, he had decided to stretch himself out and had jumped up and was holding a bar or treetrunk with his feet off the ground, he then developed lightheadedness and a loss of consiousness. I am having brain block.. and nothing looks right. After a long day of hiking at Philmont, he had decided to stretch himself out and had jumped up, and was holding a bar or tree trunk with this feet off the ground. He then dev ...