A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please oh Please spell your kid's name CORRECTLY! - Pediatric MT

Posted: Aug 11, 2013

Anybody else work for a Peds clinic and get driven CRAZY due to the odd spelling of all of these kid names these days?  It seems like almost every single time, I spell the name wrong and when I check for correction on my list, I always have to change it, which I cannot do until the END of the report!  I am so tired of these names:  Jennipher, Ryleigh, Austen, Allysin, Emilee.  I mean, what was wrong with Jennifer, Riley, Austin, Allison and Emily?  Why did we have to change it?  My step-daughter has five daughters and she spells every single one of their names odd as well and she says it is because she "wants them original" but TECHNICALLY they aren't original if the pronunciation is still the same, right?  It just makes the kid have to go through life saying, "my name is whatever with an "i" instead of a "y" or just having everyone mispell their name.  Okay, it has just driven me crazy tonight.

Feel/know your pain. My gripe exactly!! what were they thinking - were they thinking at all? NM

[ In Reply To ..]
??

All about me - and passing it on

[ In Reply To ..]
Crazy spellings ipso facto draw attention. Parents think they're all that and a bag of chips,
and want the kids to think that too.

I know someone who named their kids after species of trees. Trees!

And I know kids that were named after - weather issues, Stormy

[ In Reply To ..]
and her siblings were named Autumn, Sumner. Really???
Oh, LOL, me too! - Weather names
[ In Reply To ..]
I knew these kids named Hazy, Windy, Sunny and Misty. Too funny:)
Sunny and Misty are very popular names. - They are not weird names.
[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously, aren't you guys bored of Mary and Jennifer? I am.

At least names like Sunny and Misty have personality.
agree - Storm Field comes to mind - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Maria Garcia is what comes to mind when I think - of major errors and what gets me
[ In Reply To ..]
excited when a physician dictates names like that with no MRN, birth date, nothing. On any day there are likely to be at least 2 Maria Garcias in any large hospitals, and at least a dozen that come up when the name is entered.

Give me a Akaneijia Garcia any day.
so true, good point! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
it always strikes me as profoundly oblivious (and irresponsible) when they dictate such a common name with no other identifiers!
so what? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

it worked out okay for Rush and Cokie - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Cokie not her real name, this is her - nickname
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
and one with which she has enjoyed considerable success - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

The parents' motivations aside, considering how many people there are - on the planet now...

[ In Reply To ..]

I think the unique spellings may actually be of some benefit.  It amazes me just to find how many people have my same name on a Google search (and I have a pretty unique name myself), so if common spellings were the only ones used, there would be more and more "duplicate" names, leading to more identity mix-ups, etc.  JMO, of course. :)

Good point. I wince at the lifetime of aggravation - SOME kids will have and wonder

[ In Reply To ..]
at some parents, but creativity in naming has a lot going for it too. Despite the spellngs we tend to roll our eyes at, some are very nice.

To say nothing of causing a major error - Grate MT

[ In Reply To ..]
misspelling the patient's name results in an error, especially in these days of marking off as much as possible. Happened to me.

what happened to the traditional, old-fashioned names - sm - JavaMT50

[ In Reply To ..]
like Mary, Elizabeth, Nancy, Karen, etc.? I have noticed some traditional names are making a come back such as Violet and Emma.

Tradtional names and weird names - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
My daughter's first name is Meredith, and her middle name is Denet, (accent mark over the second E and pronounced Deenay). Meredith had been making a comeback as somewhat of a traditonal name. My great-nieces first name is Hattie and then she was named after both great-grandmothers, so she actually has 2 middle names, as does my niece, her mother.

What you forgot - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Not everyone on this planet is a white Protestant Christian.

The weird spellings - and

[ In Reply To ..]
pretentious, pseudo upper-class names seem to cluster in the lower socioeconomic strata. The children would be better served if their parents put as much effort into encouraging learning and education as they do into their own tattoos and thinking up "creative" spellings.

You do not know how much effort they put - into education of their child.

[ In Reply To ..]
What an assumption!

Right. That's why - everywhere you look

[ In Reply To ..]
there are so many doctors and college professors and investment bankers and engineers and pharmacists and other people with good educations with trailer park names.

The truth is just the truth.
There are doctors, professors and bankers - with *all sorts* of names.
[ In Reply To ..]
Even oddly spelled "trailer park" names. And *that* is the truth.

It would serve this entire planet better if there were less sweeping generalizations and prejudices.

Judging people based on the spelling of their names is a new one for me, but I've seen enough by now that I can't say I'm surprised.
Oh, yes. Certainly a few marginal people - will
[ In Reply To ..]
develop the character or other wherewithal to achieve a certain amount of success. Nevertheless, people with names that broadcast a low socioeconomic origin face a lifetime of social and professional impediments.
Yes, the truth is just the truth - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
You seem really prejudiced. What's wrong with living in a trailer park? Are you an elitist?
There is nothing wrong - with
[ In Reply To ..]
being selective about one's associates.

It seems motivated... - just mho

[ In Reply To ..]
...by ego and a need for attention by the parents. I wonder how many of them realize that they're sentencing their kids to a lifetime of aggravation of having to spell their names all the time. Brylee, Ma'Kynzleigh, Payzlie, Jaxsen, Maysen, Haidinn - these are all names I've seen in the birth announcements in the local newspaper. Where I live, at least, it does seem to occur primarily among parents of a lower socioeconomic status. I especially dislike the "-ayden" (i.e.,Jaden, Aiden, Brayden, etc) names that seem to be so trendy right now. Different strokes, though, I guess...

I have a name like that and I like it. - nm.

[ In Reply To ..]

And that's good. - just mho

[ In Reply To ..]
As long as you like it, that's all that matters. I have a good friend named Alycinne, and she absolutely hates having to spell her name all the time. Again, different strokes...

In this vein there have been studies done - about odd spelled names

[ In Reply To ..]
and there are many problems associated with the kids having them, the least of which is how it is actually spelled. Probably could find more about this on Google.

I have a name spelled incorrectly too. - And I HATED it!

[ In Reply To ..]
Now that I'm older, I don't mind as much, but growing up, I absolutely HATED my name. Every single time at the beginning of the school year the teacher would mispronounce my name and for some reason kids think that's the funniest thing every, so they would all laugh and I would have to correct the teacher. Then, just when we think we got that figured out, here comes a substitute and AGAIN name pronunciation difficulties again.

I was a shy kid though, so having to always announce to everyone how to say my name really bothered me. I used to wish my name was Jennifer or Kim or even Mary!! When I got older I even asked my mom why they couldn't just spell my name right! They spelled it in a way that two different pronunciations could be right, but they chose the third one, which is just wrong.

Anyway, her "reasoning" for my name was that she wrote my name down from a baby book and my dad pronounced it wrong and said he liked that name. She told him it wasn't pronounced that way and he said he liked it and wanted that name. So instead of altering the spelling a bit and making it spell like it sounds, they just took the WRONG name and pronounced it how THEY wanted to, lol. How crazy is that?!?!?!

Mine is different, in that it is completely - phonetically correct,

[ In Reply To ..]
whereas normally it is spelled with an accent over an "e" or an "ee" for a hard "a" sound. So in that, I'm in lucky in that it is never mispronounced and I'm actually proud that it's spelled phonetically correct, nerd that I am.

So it's different for sure--but way better.

Did you see the recent news on judge ordering - baby name change?

[ In Reply To ..]
Woman in Tennessee named her child Messiah and although that apparently is a "trendy name" as of late, when a judge heard it when the kid was 7 months old, the judge ORDERED her to change the kid's name. She said in the area where they live, there are too many Christians and the child would have a hard time having a name like that and she didn't feel the mother should give him the name Messiah when there is only ONE Messiah and the kid didn't have a choice in that matter.

The mother is planning to appeal, but it is shocking to me that a judge can order something that is pretty much a matter of opinion, not a matter of law. People name their kids things all of the time that they may be picked on about or whatever, I found this crazy.

I agree, that is overstepping - BIG TIME. nm.

[ In Reply To ..]

There was also someone - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
who wanted to name their child "Hitler." As a Jew, I find that highly offensive.
That IS offensive, considering that he murdered - millions of people.
[ In Reply To ..]
Hitler was at one point a normal name, but I'm afraid the psychotic mass murderer ruined that one for everybody.
Well, thankfully - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
the judge would not allow the Hitler name to be used.
If you're thinking about the same kid I am, his name wasn't disallowed. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]

The parents eventually lost custody related to issues originally surrounding the name being ordered for a birthday cake, but unless the adoptive parents have had it changed (hopefully at some point, if not already), his name is still Adolf Hitler (Campbell). 

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/04/heath-campbell-nazi-father-child-named-adolf-hitler-custody-heinrich-hons_n_3382822.html

Not sure of the kid's name but - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
if it is the same kid, he is nothing less than child abuse to allow him to be named after Hitler. Good grief.

When I see names spelled like that - BFY

[ In Reply To ..]
I always wonder whether the parents think they're being creative and unique or if they just can't spell.

Names of Kids - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Went to school with someone and her first name was Kandi last name was Baars, but she took it with a sense of humor.

Sense of humor - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Back when I went to college, right after the Civil War, there was a woman whose first name was Mary. She fell in love with a prof named Dr. Christmas. She dropped out of college to marry him and her name became Mary Christmas. I am not making this up!

Old Pro, I believe you - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Went to grade school with twins Debbie and Debra -- and of course there are the "famous" Hogg sisters as well :)

Who died and made you Mrs. Webster? - not your place

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I agree...especially when you hear "Austin" but it's spelled Awestyn or some junk lik - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
First off, name your kids what you want cuz they're your kids. That said, My mother gave me a "boys" name but I'm a girl so I've dealt with that all my life. But at least it's the common spelling. I have two Goddaughters "Jasmine" and "Olivia" but not spelled anywhere close to that. But whatever, they're not my kids. If I ever have children, they will have a common name with the common spelling to save them a lifetime of grief.

Does anyone else think of all those little old ladies in the nursing home 80 years from now named Dakota or Kiana? Really people! I think of a name as their whole life, not just cute when they're 2.

But I'm not a parent so what do I know right?

What I would wonder is this - Anna-Marie

[ In Reply To ..]
Why what anybody names their kid is any of your business?

You made a good point with the little old ladies - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I have often thought the same thing. It was strange because before my daughter was born, I had picked out the name Ashleigh Brooke for her. When she was born, changed the name entirely, but I have often thought the same thing. When kids are born, they are going to have that name for the rest of their life. Sometimes common sense has to come into play.

Similar Messages:

Copay Or Co-pay.. How To Spell It Correctly
Apr 07, 2011

q ...

The Pt. Was "air-vacked" To Another Hospital, How To Spell This Correctly??
Oct 19, 2009

thanks! ...

Stedmans Spell Checker-How To Set It Up In Spell Check
Dec 03, 2010

I just downloaded the Stedmans Spell Checker to work with my Word Documents, and I can't figure out how to make it work with Word. I went into Spell check, Options, and saw custom dic, but don't know where to go from there to set it up. Help please, and thank you! ...

Yea Doc Spell The Words Any Idiot Can Spell
Apr 10, 2012

How freaking stupid do you think I am???  Obviously you cant spell what you just rambled through either but speak normally and I guarantee you I can...off to search AGAIN!!! ...

DQS Does Not Seem To Be Working Correctly.
Dec 04, 2009

Not sure why is it not working and I cant get into DQM. ...

Do I Have This Transcribed Correctly?
Feb 09, 2010

I transcribed D5.45 normal saline.  Is D5.45 correct, or how would you transcribe it? ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If I Have This Transcribed Correctly
Feb 10, 2010

I am not familiar with the terminology and I want to make sure I have this transcribed correctly.  This is what I have, "CT of the head shows an old posterotemporal, intraparietal, and right occipital cerebrovascular accident."   Is this correct? ...

Would Like To Know If I Am Typing This Correctly SM
Mar 14, 2010

Dictated:  ....recently diagnosed with 1p minus and 4q minus deletions. Transcribed:  ...recently diagnosed with 1p- and 4q- deletions. ...

Is This Correctly Transcribed
Apr 17, 2010

Cholesterol profile:  Total cholesterol 182, LDL 120, HDL 82, triglycerides 75. ...

Is This Punctuated Correctly?
Aug 05, 2010

history of stage IIIA, T4, N2, M0, non-small-cell lung cancer.     ...

How To Write Something Correctly
Sep 02, 2010

Dictated as "a year and a half ago." Do I type it as such or do I change to 1-1/2 years ago?? Thanks for your help! ...

They Are Calculating OT Correctly
Sep 21, 2012

Heard back from the Department of Labor who verified that OT is calculated correctly.  Per the client library, FAQ June 2012, it is calculated as an hourly rate and then we are paid 50% of that.  They recalculate this every pay period based on how many lines we did, divided by 80.  Just updating everyone.  ...

Is There Anybody Out There Who Still Knows How To Use Punctuation Correctly?
Feb 21, 2014

I don't want to be too harsh, but some people need to go back to English class. All I do all day long is correct really, really basic, childish, stupid punctuation mistakes. Granted, most of them really don't make a different in the meaning of the sentence, but how would you feel if you were the one reading your medical report and it looked like crap or maybe faulty punctuation did change the meaning of what was in your report? Some representative examples I see all the time: S ...

How Would This Sentence Sound Correctly?
Oct 13, 2009

Dr says:   He did have, while after a long day of hiking at Philmont, he had decided to stretch himself out and had jumped up and was holding a bar or treetrunk with his feet off the ground, he then developed lightheadedness and a loss of consiousness. I am having brain block.. and nothing looks right. After a long day of hiking at Philmont, he had decided to stretch himself out and had jumped up, and was holding a bar or tree trunk with this feet off the ground. He then dev ...

How Do You Correctly Transcribe MmHg?
Mar 17, 2010

When transcribing mm of mercury is it mm/Hg or mmHg? Thanks ...

How To Write Time Correctly
Sep 02, 2010

Dictated as "a year and a half ago".  How do I write this correctly??   Thanks for your help!! ...

Typing Measurements Correctly
Oct 01, 2010

If the doc does not dictate .0 after measurements, is it correc to type it anyway?  i.e. 11.0 x 12.0 x 1.2 cm    or 11 x 12 x 1.2 cm? ...

L4-L5-S1 Infusion? Is This Typed Correctly?
Sep 29, 2011

Dr. says the patient underwent an L4-L5-S1 infusion. Or is it fusion? Also not sure if the L4 through S1 is typed correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Is This Punctuated Correctly And Does It Make Sense?
Nov 25, 2009

MRI scan does show a tear of the medial meniscus, a partial detachment of the meniscal femoral ligament, a lateral meniscus tear, posterior horn complete anterior cruciate ligament tear, and some impaction fractures in the lateral femoral condyle, the lateral tibial plateau, and on the articular surface of the patella, and hemarthrosis in the knee.   tia. ...

Foot Pedal Not Working Correctly
Oct 31, 2011

My foot pedal is driving me crazy.  It stops and won't start back until for a few minutes.  NOw I can only get it to work from DQS at the top where it shows the stop, forward, backwards area.  I have to press the > arrow to get it to take off with the dictation but when I want to stop it then I just hit my pedal but then it will not come back on until I press the > arrow at the top again.  DRiving me crazy.  I can't work like this.  GOt a ticket in w ...

Can You Get Unemployment If You Quit Your Job For Not Being Paid Correctly
Jan 27, 2012

Can you get unemployment if you quit your job for not being paid correctly (shorted lines, bonus, etc.)? ...

ASR Not Recognizing A Word Correctly - Hot News!
Jan 17, 2013

Every couple of days I get an e-mail from my supervisor that ASR is not recognizing a particular word correctly. Really????? I wish I had the time to send an e-mail to the supervisor each time ASR doesn't recognize a word correctly - maybe 1000 times a day?????Another "don't know if I should laugh or cry" moment.... ...

NPs And Anyone Else Who Cant Pronounce Drug Names Correctly
May 31, 2015

And it is   NOT  pronounced  "eerie-theemia" you stupid twit.    WTH did you go to school for if not to learn these things correctly.  ...

Vapor Wand? Is It Capped? Is It Spelled Correctly? Thanks.
Jan 04, 2010

XX ...

Ciprodex HC? I Didn't Find That In My Book...written Correctly??
Oct 01, 2010

Thanks. ...

This Is What I Hear; How Do I Type It Correctly? CV; S1 And S2 Normal Rate And Rhythm.
Aug 09, 2013

nm.  Thanks. ...

Am I Reading The Line Counts Required For Bonus Tier Correctly?
Dec 11, 2012

They are HUGELY different than before.  The incentive starts at 7001 lines now?  It was at 14,001 lines before.  Am I missing something?  I hope not, because this would be a great change. ...

I Hate When They Spell!
Feb 24, 2010

She had moderate malnutrition, which was treated with percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube feeds.  However, the patient had a very large tracheostomy stoma and had s/l aerobhagy resulting in severe abdominal distention.  The "aerobhagy" is what she spells.  Any clue what she might be talking about?  ...

Coxytude? Cannot Think Of How To Spell It
Mar 09, 2010

a "coxytude" of medications.   thanks ...

What Is This Drug Name And How Do You Spell It Please?
Mar 17, 2010

Can anyone tell me how to spell a drug name that sounds like Fusefar or Phusefar or something like that? Thanks ...