A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Grads:Certified ratio - Still deciding

Posted: Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public?

I think it's rare to find a school that prepares students to sit for certification exams - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
If a school has a graduate who successfully sits for a certification exam right out of school, they have something to brag about. I don't think that happens very often. Most coding courses aren't designed to teach to that level. In fact, I know courses taught by students who just graduated from that same course and have never spent a minute working as a coder. Will any of their graduates be able to pass a certification exam even with experience? It's doubtful.

I don't think schools normally give out statistics, because they would constantly change and it would require the school to force the graduates to provide that information, which they can't do and have no right to do. So no, I don't think that information is available to the general public. The numbers would most likely be wrong before they were released.

Unfortunately..... - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately I think it is going to be difficult to find this information. As far as I know, the coding schools themselves don't find out whether their students have passed the test unless the students themselves choose to share that information with the school. The ones who pass are more likely, in my opinion, to share that information than those who don't so the school is likely to not get complete information. The best you can do is talk to whoever you can find who has taken whichever program/s you are considering and ask about their testing experience, as well as talking to a representative from the school/program and getting as much information as you can to help you make a decision.

Thank you for your responses -- no msg - Still deciding

[ In Reply To ..]
:-)

still deciding, too - STeph

[ In Reply To ..]
and it aint' easy!

Similar Messages:

Question For Andrews Grads/soon-to-be Grads
May 15, 2013

How long did it take you to go through their coding course?  Thanks! ...

Capitalization - Is It.. Board Certified Or Board Certified ?
Mar 08, 2011

is it.. Board Certified or board certified ? ...

ICA To CCA Ratio
Jan 12, 2010

What is the correct way to type "ICA to CCA ratio was..." with words or with a slash etc.? ...

LPH Ratio
Jul 09, 2014

Does anyone else feel the ratio for LPH has changed on their program?  I have been noticing more and more that no matter how fast or how much I can do in very little time, the LPH shows less.  I had straight type/transcribed job that was very long and it came out 122 LPH.  Sound file was 13:50, was done in 30 minutes, which averages out at less than 3 minutes per dictated minute, which is average.  My calculations it should have been around 141 LPH?  (only straight type ...

Under Pulmonary S/l EDI Ratio 1.5:1.
Jan 19, 2010

Under pulmonary in PE it s/l EDI ration 1.5:1. ...

Cup-to-disc Ratio
Mar 30, 2010

doctor states "cup-to-disc ratio is two to three"  How is this typed?  ...

Pathology: ICD 4 To 8 Ratio Of 9 To 1. How To Type?
Feb 09, 2011

Mycosis fungoides.  Cells were CD3, CD4, and CD5 positive with "ICD 4 to 8 ratio of 9 to 1"   ...

$1 Per 3-minute Audio Ratio - Wth?!
Dec 16, 2011

No one 'spoke to' my previous post. Someone answered with an irrelevant thread and thus began another topic; please see my previous post from an hour ago...would like your input if anyone is earning or has been proposed this dreadful rate! As mentioned previously, I was quoted this rate by 2 different companies, as if this is a 'normal' thing...! What say you guys?! ...

What Is Your Email Reply Ratio? (sm)
Jan 03, 2013

What percentage of emails to the MTSO asking a question are answered? ...

Any M-Tec Grads On Here?
Oct 04, 2010

I have been researching an MT career and schools for about 3 months now.  I would love to be a WAHM so I do not have to pay daycare like a LOT of mothers out there. My SIL has been a medical transcriptionist for many years and is a walking advertisement for me.  I am still not totally convinced to put thousands of dollars into M-TEC and get training just to end up that money in the hole and jobless.  I know there are no guarantees in life.  I just want this to be a stepping ...

New Grads, This May Help
Nov 01, 2010

The first must have e-book you can get from AHDI getting your foot in the door 2 years experience not required.  I wished I knew about this book right out of school.  I spent months researching and did exactly what the book says.  It gives tips on reference materials, test, companies and looking for a job, resume tips.  EXCELLENT BOOK!  If you can join AHDI they offer webinars on things that might be helpful to you.  I have also talked to countless MT's who say ...

Please Help..in Ob Dely Note, TP(?)-creatinine Ratio??
Apr 06, 2010

.. ...

Ortho Question RE Torg Ratio
Apr 30, 2013

Is anyone familiar with how to type Torg ratios?  Doc says: ***By measure of the Torg ratio, vertebral body, and space available for the cord from C3 through C6 numbers are 21 mm and 19, C4 is 24 and 18, C5 is 23 and 18, C6 is 23 and 17*** Would this be the correct way...21:19, 24:18, 23:18, 23:17?  I know that ratios are written this way, but everything I find on the subject does not make this clear as far as Torg ratios - they use a lot of symbols such as < and >, along wit ...

$10.50 Per Hour, NO NEW GRADS
Feb 11, 2012

Has anyone else seen the ad?  They want at least 3 years of experience (no new grads), with VR experience (so presumably this is doing VR), and one of the positions is doing op notes (op notes being the most difficult of the Basic 4 of acute care).  They will start her out at the whopping rate of $10.50 per hour!! Below someone advised another MT to mow lawns or take in laundry; there's more money in those.  They were right. ...

Question For WGU Grads Please
Jul 16, 2012

How many of you WGU graduates have passed the CCS? Thanks! ...

Getting Certified
Apr 01, 2013

I'm currently studying my rear off to become certified, CMT license.  Have almost 15 years of experience under my belt doing this but don't want to waste my time if there won't even be a market for us anymore.  Should I keep going?  Is it worth it?  Can't decide. ...

Any Andrews Students Or Grads?
May 08, 2010

I wondered if there are any current coding students or graduates from Andrews around?  I'm close to enrolling in their coding program, and I would really love to hear from others who have taken the course.  ...

Best Paying Company That Will Take New Grads?
Jul 10, 2013

x ...

Andrews Grads, A Question For You
Jul 11, 2013

I was wondering how many hours it equates to on the transcript?    Thank you ...

Andrews Grads Anyone Taken The ICD-10 Transition Course
Apr 08, 2014

I just wondered if there were any Andrews grads who have taken their transition course yet?  ...

Calling All Andrews Grads
Jan 20, 2015

What prior profession did you come from? Were you able to pass the CCS after graduation? How long did it take you to find a job? Did your CCS help even though you had no coding experience? What kind of entity are you working for? Are you glad you chose Andrews? Any other comments for me? (I am about to apply there) ...

Getting Certified Without Going To School
Sep 29, 2010

Would it be possible to get certified if you have not attended school?  I have a friend who has worked as a coder for almost 20 years and has never pursued her certification.  Can she just take the test and become certified and still reap the same benefits as someone who completed a course and then became certified?  I am trying to convince her to do it and have even offered to help her study but I wanted to make sure she doesn't have to attend school to do so. ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Is It Worth Getting Certified?
May 22, 2012

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on becoming a CMT. I have been doing transcription for almost 15 years and I am wondering if I can really make more money if I get my CMT. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. ...

Certified Letter
Apr 30, 2013

Doc is dictating a letter and wants "Certified" in the letter. Can anyone tell me where to place this in the letter? Thanks! ...

Question For Andrews School Grads
Nov 20, 2013

Okay -- I think I've made my decision to not go back to my local community college after I finish ICD-9 fall semester.  I just don't feel it is giving me what I need, and it is not preparing me to pass anything.  Most of the students in my class are taking coding as just another class they have to pass so they can move on to something else.  I am paying a lot of money because I'm out of state, and I don't feel like I'm getting value.  I've n ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

How Long Did It Take Andrews' Grads To Finish Course?
Apr 22, 2015

I'm getting ready to enroll in the Andrews program. I was just curious how long it took previous grads with families and working? I currently work 30 hours weekly & have 2 children. I realize it could be 12-18 mos. before I finish and everybody's different, so looking for a rough idea of how it went for others.  Thanks! ...

ADHI CERTIFIED/EXPERIENCE
Jan 16, 2011

I saw a job posted on line for and MT with two years experience in radiology but ADHI certified is a must.  I have 28 years experience but I am not certified. After 28 years I am still learn new terminology every day.  What makes a company just because someone is certified that they are going to be a great MT?  I see no reason to be certified right now because medical transcription is really dying off.  ...

Certified MT Test/just Wondering
Mar 18, 2011

Just wondering if most/all MT's take the state certification test. I was told that it wasn't neccessary to take the test to get a job, but that it helps. ...