A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If you are a certified coder... - just curious

Posted: Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks

Other jobs - Confident Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I have both a CCS and a CPC. I am not concerned about coding "disappearing." Those who post that it will disappear do not seem to be very well informed and it is not something I am concerned about.

Another Viewpoint - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm also not worried about coding jobs disappearing. Another viewpoint though would be how you can use those same skills in other ways. More and more attention is being given to data mining. The same skills that coders use to code can be used to retrieve data, which makes for another job option for coders. There are all sorts of potential jobs that use the same skills in case someone wanted to do something different, but I think coding is rewarding.

Where do you look for data mining jobs? - mt2coding2

[ In Reply To ..]
Is there a particular place we can look for coding, data mining, or data abstractor jobs type jobs? All I see are scams unfortunately.

Hospital jobs boards - usually available online - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Suggestion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you a coder or are you just thinking about wanting to switch to coding? You sound very unfamiliar with the job market, so that makes it sound as if you have not had any training yet. Coding training should include an explanation of different types of jobs in and around the field of coding. You should know what these are.

If you have been to school, you should ask your school to help you. If all you are seeing are scams, you are looking in the wrong places. Coding jobs aren't advertised in scammy places -- they're professional jobs that are advertised in professional places.

Coding jobs are advertised through employment agencies, job notices on websites belonging to professional organizations like AAPC and AHIMA (you usually have to be a memeber to see them), local chapters of professional organizations (websites and emails), and through the HR departments of hospitals, large facilities, medical centers, insurers, etc.

You probably won't find jobs called "data mining." Jobs in that field are not entry-level, either. It isn't something you do by hand. It involves computers, large amounts of data, programming ability, analytical skills, etc. While that may use coding skills, it uses a lot more skills that aren't taught in basic coding classes.

Data abstraction jobs are found in medical records departments. They are just people who work in medical records, looking through records to identify specific information that is entered into a computer database, registration system, or something like that. You definitely should already know what data abstraction is, because coders often do this as part of the coding process.

If you don't know what these jobs are, you're probably not qualified for them. The first thing you should do when you see an unfamiliar job title is google it. Do some online research to find out what it is. If you google "data mining" or "data abstractor," you will come up with loads of information.

Coders do a lot of online research and employers know this. They value this skill and expect coders to be able to know how to do this and to do it on their own. They are going to react better to someone who looks things up and sounds confident than they will to someone who doesn't know and expects someone to tell them. Now would be a good time to learn more about coding and get some practice looking things up--it can only help.

Suggestion - Appreciative One
[ In Reply To ..]
This makes an overwhelming amount of sense. I do appreciate the time taken by the poster to provide this coherent, well-thought-out, and comprehensive answer.

Similar Messages:

Capitalization - Is It.. Board Certified Or Board Certified ?
Mar 08, 2011

is it.. Board Certified or board certified ? ...

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

Getting Certified
Apr 01, 2013

I'm currently studying my rear off to become certified, CMT license.  Have almost 15 years of experience under my belt doing this but don't want to waste my time if there won't even be a market for us anymore.  Should I keep going?  Is it worth it?  Can't decide. ...

Getting Certified Without Going To School
Sep 29, 2010

Would it be possible to get certified if you have not attended school?  I have a friend who has worked as a coder for almost 20 years and has never pursued her certification.  Can she just take the test and become certified and still reap the same benefits as someone who completed a course and then became certified?  I am trying to convince her to do it and have even offered to help her study but I wanted to make sure she doesn't have to attend school to do so. ...

Is It Worth Getting Certified?
May 22, 2012

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on becoming a CMT. I have been doing transcription for almost 15 years and I am wondering if I can really make more money if I get my CMT. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. ...

Certified Letter
Apr 30, 2013

Doc is dictating a letter and wants "Certified" in the letter. Can anyone tell me where to place this in the letter? Thanks! ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

ADHI CERTIFIED/EXPERIENCE
Jan 16, 2011

I saw a job posted on line for and MT with two years experience in radiology but ADHI certified is a must.  I have 28 years experience but I am not certified. After 28 years I am still learn new terminology every day.  What makes a company just because someone is certified that they are going to be a great MT?  I see no reason to be certified right now because medical transcription is really dying off.  ...

Certified MT Test/just Wondering
Mar 18, 2011

Just wondering if most/all MT's take the state certification test. I was told that it wasn't neccessary to take the test to get a job, but that it helps. ...

Certified Tumor Registrar
Jun 09, 2011

I have a question, if someone would be so kind. What is the protocol of becoming a Certified Tumor Registrar? Does this happen after one has been coding for awhile? Are there certain credentials? I have researched online and am still confused. Thank you! ...

Certified Letter From Nuance
Sep 21, 2012

I left Nuance a couple of weeks ago and got what i believe is my last check this past pay period and a check for PTO.  I just got a notice of a certified letter from them, any ideas what it could be?   Thanks ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar (CTR)?
May 21, 2014

I just got a flier in the mail from AHIMA about becoming a CTR or Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar.  I have never heard of this and so my curioisty is piqued.  My question is could this be another career or is it another way AHIMA is trying to get money out of us?  I am not sure if the hospitals or clinics in my area would need a CTR but I will also be doing my research!  Thanks! ...

Going Back To School And Getting Certified As A Medical Assistant
Mar 24, 2014

I have been in the field of Education for 23 yrs and have been an Administrator for the past 13. Due to the economy,  schools would rather hire those with no experience and pay them less than seasoned veterans like myself. I have 2 in college and a 10yr old I adopted at birth so I am far from retirement. I am considering going back to school and getting certified as a Medical Assistant (which would include Phlebotomy and X-ray tech) and Medical Billing/Coding or Transcription. I am currently un ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar Online
May 23, 2014

I received some information in the mail on how to become a certified cancer tumor registrar by training online.  That's a possible alternative to this work for some.  The website is ahima.org/crm. ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

How To Type Dr Jones Is "dual Board Certified" In Both Pediatrics And Internal Medicine,
Jul 20, 2012

Hyphens? ...

"State Certified" Birth Certificate
Apr 25, 2015

I took some pre-employment documents to a notary yesterday.  The birth certificate, issued by the hospital where I was born 62 years ago, I was told would not do for ID because it was not "state certified".  In order to get a state certified birth certificate, you have to have the notary certify they have seen my birth certificate, then the state issues one they call "certified".  This makes absolutely no sense to me and only delays employment.  Anyone else had this experienc ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

Coder/cmt
Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it?  ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

Advice On Getting First Job From A Coder
Jul 12, 2010

The following is a post I found on the AAPC web site. I asked the poster first if it was okay to re-post here and he said okay.  Quote begins as follows: My first coding job was about six years ago. I had called a local college asking about some health billing classes and as I was about to hang up the phone I asked the lady "by the way how do you get your first job in this field?". She said "it's kind of tough, but wait, someone put a card up on the board yesterday...". She got a car ...

Job Availability For New Coder
Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I ...

EMR Vs Medical Coder
May 25, 2011

I hope this is not a dumb question, but do need some enlightening.  I was at my doctor's office this morning and in the midst of the exam we got to talking about my goal to take the medical coding schooling (through Andrews). She was concerned that with the EMR process today, medical coders would not be as involved with actual coding as they have been in the past and therefore the job market not as promising. My doctor's clinic has the computer screen in the office and she sh ...

Glad I'm Not A Coder
Sep 12, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576560742746021106.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird ...

Finding A Job As A New Coder
Sep 30, 2011

I am an MT considering going to school for coding.  I have been reading the message boards of the coding professional organization and found it to be full of comments from new certified coders who can't find jobs without experience, and some have been looking for over a year.  I am leaving the MT field after only 6 years due to salaries going into the tank with SR.  I think coding would be a good fit for me, but hate to spend thousands of dollars and a year of school time on ...