A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I visited One-Stop and asked about Trade Act - Scooby-Doo

Posted: Nov 03, 2009

I decided to look into the benefits of the Trade Act which apparently includes only some states but which MQ has been qualified for.  I'm not yet unemployed but need to at least feel prepared.  I live in California so was given the name and number of the person in charge in my part of the state.  I also picked the brains of the One-Stop personnel about career changes.  They are a WEALTH of information, including 2 excellent websites: 

www.edd.ca.gov

www.online.onetcenter.org

You can find a compendium of resources about related careers so there is life after MQ.

I also related my experience with MQ as objectively as I could, the multiple lawsuits, our dropping salaries, outsourcing American jobs, etc.  At first I could see the looks of disbelief, but then they told me a lot of that sounded downright illegal to them.  I have yet to make an appointment with the Trade Act representative, but will certainly relate my experience to him as well.

Good luck to you! Thanks for posting this. - Wow!

[ In Reply To ..]
Keep us posted. I may have to look into this myself

I am in Oregon. Thanks for posting this.

trade act - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the info, but I really wonder what good this could possibly be for anyone near 60. I guess I could retrain for something and then retire. I think it would be easier go get on disability than to make a career change at this point.

I sincerely hope you do retrain for something because there is just no future for MTs anymore.

Best of luck, all you "kids"

Check out those websites because - Scooby-Doo

[ In Reply To ..]
there are special programs to find jobs for "older" workers. I'm 49 and was hoping transcription would hold out until I retire. It's no picnic for me to retrain for another career right now, but you'd be surprised what skills you now have just by transcribing that could morph into a new field.

To find what help your state offers. . . - Scooby-Doo

[ In Reply To ..]
check out this website. Even if you don't have the One Stop program, your state may offer other services. It's worth a try.

http://www.servicelocator.org/StateMaps.asp

Similar Messages:

I Hope Corporate Is Visited Tonight By
Dec 24, 2010

Past, Present and Future and sees exactly what will happen to their rotten, sold-to-the-devil souls. ...

Trade Act/TAA
Dec 17, 2009

Has anyone investigated MQ's TAA petition?  I just read about it a minute ago and wondered...sounds too good to be true ...

Trade-act
Apr 16, 2010

The trade-act is only for those who are laid off or who suffer as much as 7 consecutive days without work due to offshoring.  Does everyone have that understanding or did I miss something?  Thanks! ...

Trade Act
May 13, 2013

Can someone please give me some info on where to find out this info and petition number.  Thank you. ...

Can You Trade Your Own Work
Aug 05, 2010

I have a job. I do not want it. I am sick of being an MT. There are newbies who want to be an MT. I want to help a newbie. I got offered 3 jobs and took this one, and I still don't want it. Newbies get offered no jobs. I wish I could fix this. Here I am with an unwanted job, and wanting to help a newbie, and there is nothing to do about it!! I would love to explain medical terminology and VR and the ins and outs of production work, I just do NOT want to do it myself any more!! Where ca ...

New To VR - Need Some Tricks Of The Trade!
Apr 04, 2011

Been working with VR since last October.  After rebuilding shorthand file and adding words to autocorrect for the last 5 months, I feel those items are no longer a insignificant factor hampering my production.  Sadly, I'm finding I'm not as productive as I need to be in order to make a living. Anyone have any VR tricks to increase production?  I'm headed to the poor house if I don't get this figured out soon! Truly appreciate any help you can o ...

TAA (Trade Act) Information
Jan 14, 2013

I am looking for any Axolotl MTs who have been let go within the last year to sign a petition with me:  http://www.labor.ny.gov/workforcenypartners/taaforms/taa-petition.pdf It does nothing against the employer; in fact, they usually support the act.   There need to be at least 3 workers to sign before it can be submitted.   I hope every MT who has lost their jobs has applied for this...  MQ is on their list already, as is United HealthGroup (only not for MT).  Plea ...

Anyone Know Anything About The Trade Act Petition?
Dec 16, 2013

Got a call today from the Dept of Labor and the nice lady said I was entitled to educational benefits of $27,000.00 and/or if I got a job for, let's say, $10.00 an hour "they" would pay me $5 more because of something to do with MModal and NA Free Trade; that MModal was "adversely effected" (her words) because of outsourcing----that Americans are now missing out on jobs, etc., ect.....Really didn't know what to make of all what she was saying, but I told her to send me the paperwork. S ...

Trade Act Petition
Apr 02, 2014

New petition # is 85182. It is currently awaiting a decision. Our previous petition expired the end of March. Hopefully the new petition will be approved. ...

Trade Act News About Medquist
Dec 24, 2009

I spoke to a representative of the Trade Act in person today to ask some questions.  I learned this and want to share it to help empower those who feel hopeless this season: -All states are participating in the Trade Act.  -There was an old version of the Trade Act which necessitated that you be laid off by your company to benefit with the Trade Act.  The new version (ending with #7, not #6) starting in February 2009 allows those still working to enroll in the program. -Medquis ...

TAA - Trade Adjustment Assistance
Jan 06, 2010

this is great news for Mt Laurel New Jersey.  Are there any other offices who have done this?  they actually qualified and that means they have set a precedence.  Everyone who is struggling with Medical Transcription right now either losing their jobs or (sounds like) had their hours cut should check into this... From the website:  TAA Decision 72153 Note: Determinations for this case number, this case number with an alphabetic suffix, and any appeals or amendments ...

Can Someone Re-post That Trade Act Petition.
Jan 11, 2010

I tried looking it up in search mode and cannot find it, yet I know I saw it posted here not too long ago.  Thanks! ...

Investigation Of 3 MQ Workers Of The Trade Act?
Mar 13, 2010

Medquist, Inc., Norcross, GA; Notice of Termination of Investigation Mar 12, 2010 (FIND, Inc. via COMTEX) -- Pursuant to Section 223 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended, an investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on November 19, 2009, by three workers on behalf of workers of MedQuist, Inc., Norcross, Georgia. The petitioning group of workers is covered by an active certification, (TA-W-72,153) which expires on September 22, 2011. Consequently, further investigation in thi ...

Angioplasty Balloon Trade Name
Jul 28, 2011

S/l doctor is dictating Ar mot ta balloon...my brain is fried.  Any ideas?   ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

Is Anyone Aware Of The Trade Adjustment Assistance Act?
Jun 12, 2012

I just found out about this government program.  From what I understand, it helps those who have lost all or part of their hours/income due to outsourcing of their profession, especially us older workers who need to retrain in order to reenter the workforce in another field.   It looks to me like Medical Transcriptionists should fit their description, and we should be eligible for some funding to get some training!   The catch is, in order to file, you have to have at least 3 pe ...

Let's Please Stop It!
Nov 28, 2009

The conference calls are over,  the paperwork will soon be sent in, and rumors have been put to rest, at least I think they have been.  I am encouraged because D seems to be more at the helm than I thought she was going to be.  She answered a question yesterday which made things more clear about the rate cut.  I said a long time ago that 10 or 11 cpl was not going to fly forever.  You charge only what the market can bear, and in this economy it cannot handle those rates. ...

When Are They Going To Stop Messing With
Feb 10, 2010

MQ has made big changes to my primary account.  Now things are all messed up and because of it, we have to re-enter redundant information in the ADT screen.  For example, it says ADT Attending and ADT Admitting with the doc's names.  Those aren't carrying over to the report now, for some reason, so we have to re-enter those docs names in the additional ADT field under attending and admitting.  Also, all of the reference repository stuff is gone.  It now says th ...

Stop Yawning At Me!!!!
Nov 09, 2010

She started out the dictation yawning and apologized for it the first time but then went on to do it 3 or 4 more times.  It's a good thing I'm near the end of my night because now I'm yawning like crazy. ...

Hey MTSO, Just Stop ...
Feb 14, 2011

assigning me the garbage work just because you "think" I can do it.  Had to vent, really sick of it!  Between the ESLs and the stuff where people say things that do not make sense I am really getting fed up!  Sorry, had to vent.  I know you read this and I know you know who is this. ...

If You Are Let Go At WMX, Does Your Insurance Stop
Feb 23, 2011

nm ...

The Abuse Won't Stop
Jul 03, 2012

No one is going to do it for us.  There is wage theft, minimum wage, changing of timecards, disrespect for our knowledge, ridiculous working conditions, bad management, and no communication.  MTs have been left completely out of the conversation, and they are the MT in MTSO.  How bizarre is that? I think everyone should just walk away from their keyboards.  We won't know what the result of an action like that will be until we take it, and hold a positive intent on beha ...

Re: Comedy Stop
Jul 05, 2012

I really hope this doesn't get redirected. I meant to put it on the Main Board. I want to send out a request for more VR and dictation funnies. MTStars has gotten so depressing lately, and I could really use some laughs. ...

For Those Saying We Should Stop Training VR. If We Did, How
Oct 04, 2012

x ...

When Will It Stop Snowing?
Dec 31, 2012

. ...

Start-Stop
Apr 24, 2013

Does anyone use Start-Stop?  If so, do you like it? Cathy ...

Did You Ever Stop To Think How Much Better You Could Dictate
Dec 15, 2013

than some of these idiots who you have to muddle through on day after day after day ad nauseum?  I am transcribing this dictator tonight who has had one patient with "infantigo" and on her "review of symptoms" she dictates "Eyes" as a subheading by itself then does HEENT later on in the review. I would be so organized if I were doing this, I would have a standard sheet for every patient with ROS and PE, then just fill in the blanks and note any abnormalties.  It would be so easy for us ...

Nuance - Stop
May 04, 2014

I have never posted or replied to anything on MTstars.com, about any company in my 30 years in this field and have worked for a few BIG companies in the past (who were never this bad, not even Medquist) and with my own experiences I can say Nuance should be rated as a 10 as the worst company to work for (10 as worst).  If you are considering Nuance, do not waste your time or most importantly, your self-respect.   ...

Stop Yawning
Feb 27, 2015

I didn't go to dental or even hygenist school. I have no idea what your saying and ASR is having a field day. ...

Oh, Stop With The Speakerphone Already.
Mar 17, 2015

It makes me strain to hear you and is exhausting.  Cut it out, Dictators. ...