A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Getting certified without going to school - MT/Coder

Posted: Sep 29, 2010

Would it be possible to get certified if you have not attended school?  I have a friend who has worked as a coder for almost 20 years and has never pursued her certification.  Can she just take the test and become certified and still reap the same benefits as someone who completed a course and then became certified?  I am trying to convince her to do it and have even offered to help her study but I wanted to make sure she doesn't have to attend school to do so.

Knowledge is knowledge and you either have it or you don't. Of - course also ask whoever is givng the test. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Certification for MT...just my opinion... - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think it is right that some of these companies only hire certified transcriptionists or pay more for one who is. What about the transcriptionists who have been typing for 10+ years and have so much knowledge?? I think that is totally unfair and irresponsible of them for turning down such talent. Years on the job should count BIG TIME.

I know my post is a little off topic to the discussion above, but it reminded me of this. Just my opinion....if anyone wants it.

MTSO might think if you have 10+ years worth of knowledge, take - test, get certified. Should be easy enough for you

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

hey... - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
someone is using my moniker! That's not me - the cj who has been posting here for some time and is a coder and MT. This is someone else using cj.

I think her employment history speaks for itself! - She deserves to be certified without testing. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

getting certified - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
I would think if your friend has that much experience, then she would have a good chance of passing a certification test. I'm sure there are many certified coders out there who just learned on the job and eventually passed the test without ever taking a course. Many of the coding courses available now are relatively new but obviously coders have been around for a long time. Your friend might want to get a review book or two and take some practice tests and brush up on any areas she is not familiar with. Tell her to go for it!!

What are the best books? - MT/Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
What would be the best books for her to get? I've heard Carol Buck and Faye Brown's books are pretty good. Any other suggestions?

Certification without school? Of course! - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it's entirely possible to certify without ever having attended school for coding.

Schools are available to almost everyone now because of the internet. Before that, it was difficult to find coding programs. Coders trained on the job, or they might have attended HIM programs somewhere and then learned more coding on the job. Consequently, there are a lot of coders who certified without ever having attended school.

None of the AAPC or AHIMA coding exams require any particular educational background beyond a high school diploma or the equivalent.

Has she been doing inpatient or outpatient coding? If it's inpatient, she can probably just sit for the CCS and do fine because inpatient coding is less affected by payer requirements. In other words, there is one way to do it and everyone does it that way (mostly). That is what the exam will test.

If it's outpatient, she can sit for the CPC. In that case, though, the test is going to be textbook coding. On the job, outpatient coding becomes affected by a lot of facility, CMS, and payer stuff. One of them wants this modifier, one wants another, a third won't pay unless it's this code, etc. It is very difficult for an experienced outpatient coder to get back to basics. This is especially difficult if they never saw textbook coding and cannot differentiate between the basic, textbook coding and whatever-it-is they have been doing on the job.

In both cases, a review is in order. The test requirements are available on the organizations' websites. There are some short practice tests available, too, but I think you have as much or more chance of being discouraged by those as you do of getting a feel for your readiness to take the test!

I usually recommend Faye Brown for ICD-9-CM coding. If she is an inpatient coder, she will recognize this text and will also be familiar with Coding Clinic. That needs to be reviewed, as well. There is a nice review series on the ADVANCE website that is useful for both inpatient and outpatient coders.

The CCS does test CPT coding to some extent. AHIMA has several good CPT texts, and the one from the AMA itself (Principles of CPT Coding) is also good.

For the CPC, I'd recommend just signing up for the first available test. The local AAPC chapter will host it. She will have to join the AAPC, which is not a bad thing at all, so she will know who they are. One free retake within a year is included, so it is not necessary to review endlessly before taking it. She can just take it and, if she doesn't pass, she'll know what to review for the next try.

Of course, if she has not tested yet after 20 years, she may have other things going on that prevent her from feeling courageous enough. I've known coders who had such extreme fear of testing that they balked. The CCS exam, especially, has a fearsome reputation. If this is the case, she should just write to me through linda@andrewsschool.com. I'll be happy to discuss and coach her through it. There is no charge for that, of course. :)

Redpen
Andrews School

Andrews School - ame

[ In Reply To ..]
Redpen at Andrews School: Does Andrews School take federal financial aid grants and loans? I doubt it, Career Works does not and I am having a hard time finding any online courses that are accredited by AAPC or AHIMA which is a requirement by most employers I need to brush up to take either the CCS or CPC-H tests. I would much rather take courses on campus anyway.

Not Redpen but - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not Redpen, but I know the answer to that question. Andrews doesn't participate in the Pell or Guaranteed Student Loan Programs but they do work with state programs like WIA and Voc Rehab.

If you would "much rather" take courses on campus, just find one, but make sure to find one that prepares you to be certified. I know people who prefer going to classes instead of studying online. If you like sitting in classes for hours, which I don't but know people who do, don't consider anything else because you won't be happy.

Certification is valued by employers almost across the board, from what I've seen. Having an education that prepares you to take and pass those CPC and CCS exams is more important than anything.

Not Redpen either but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure where you are getting your information, but "online courses that are accredited by AAPC or AHIMA" is not a requirement of most employers. I can't think of a single one that requires this.

You might be confused. Many employers do ask for certification by AAPC or AHIMA, but that has nothing to do with what school you attended.

It's also impossible to require, because AAPC does not accredit any programs. So, not sure where you got your information.

Just curious, are you a coder now? You say you need to brush up to take the CCS or CPC-H tests. If that's all you need, you should be able to do that on your own. Why would you need to take courses in something you already know?

College coding courses teach entry-level material. They teach to the CCA level, not the CCS. That's why they recommend 3 years of experience before trying the CCS. Just being helpful here, but might suggest that you come up with a better plan than taking college courses to brush up if you expect to pass the CCS.

The CCS and CPC-H aren't the same, by the way. Not sure if you think they're interchangeable, but they aren't.
Neither AAPC nor AHIMA has anything to do with accreditation of schools - They do offer credentials if you pass the tests
[ In Reply To ..]
Personally I think it's a great idea to go for credentials with both AAPC and AHIMA. While they don't accredit schools, their credentials are valuable to coders.

Yep. I'm trying to self-study and then get certified. - Check the AHIMA site for cert requirements. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes - SM - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
It is possible, I work with several women who never took a formal course, learned outpatient coding on the job and passed the CPC exam, one of them is a medical assistant who also codes for her doctors. I have access to Faye Brown through my coding program and received an e-mail today from AHIMA offering some self-study books that look quite good. I know your friend could become certified with that much experience, she probably just needs a little review or maybe a couple of sample practice exams.

Forgot to mention . . . - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad you mentioned the AHIMA review books.

They have several new exam review books which are very good. They are tailored to the exams.

AAPC also has a review book for the CPC.

Similar Messages:

Going Back To School And Getting Certified As A Medical Assistant
Mar 24, 2014

I have been in the field of Education for 23 yrs and have been an Administrator for the past 13. Due to the economy,  schools would rather hire those with no experience and pay them less than seasoned veterans like myself. I have 2 in college and a 10yr old I adopted at birth so I am far from retirement. I am considering going back to school and getting certified as a Medical Assistant (which would include Phlebotomy and X-ray tech) and Medical Billing/Coding or Transcription. I am currently un ...

Capitalization - Is It.. Board Certified Or Board Certified ?
Mar 08, 2011

is it.. Board Certified or board certified ? ...

Getting Certified
Apr 01, 2013

I'm currently studying my rear off to become certified, CMT license.  Have almost 15 years of experience under my belt doing this but don't want to waste my time if there won't even be a market for us anymore.  Should I keep going?  Is it worth it?  Can't decide. ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Is It Worth Getting Certified?
May 22, 2012

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on becoming a CMT. I have been doing transcription for almost 15 years and I am wondering if I can really make more money if I get my CMT. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. ...

Certified Letter
Apr 30, 2013

Doc is dictating a letter and wants "Certified" in the letter. Can anyone tell me where to place this in the letter? Thanks! ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

ADHI CERTIFIED/EXPERIENCE
Jan 16, 2011

I saw a job posted on line for and MT with two years experience in radiology but ADHI certified is a must.  I have 28 years experience but I am not certified. After 28 years I am still learn new terminology every day.  What makes a company just because someone is certified that they are going to be a great MT?  I see no reason to be certified right now because medical transcription is really dying off.  ...

Certified MT Test/just Wondering
Mar 18, 2011

Just wondering if most/all MT's take the state certification test. I was told that it wasn't neccessary to take the test to get a job, but that it helps. ...

Certified Tumor Registrar
Jun 09, 2011

I have a question, if someone would be so kind. What is the protocol of becoming a Certified Tumor Registrar? Does this happen after one has been coding for awhile? Are there certain credentials? I have researched online and am still confused. Thank you! ...

Certified Letter From Nuance
Sep 21, 2012

I left Nuance a couple of weeks ago and got what i believe is my last check this past pay period and a check for PTO.  I just got a notice of a certified letter from them, any ideas what it could be?   Thanks ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar (CTR)?
May 21, 2014

I just got a flier in the mail from AHIMA about becoming a CTR or Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar.  I have never heard of this and so my curioisty is piqued.  My question is could this be another career or is it another way AHIMA is trying to get money out of us?  I am not sure if the hospitals or clinics in my area would need a CTR but I will also be doing my research!  Thanks! ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar Online
May 23, 2014

I received some information in the mail on how to become a certified cancer tumor registrar by training online.  That's a possible alternative to this work for some.  The website is ahima.org/crm. ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

How To Type Dr Jones Is "dual Board Certified" In Both Pediatrics And Internal Medicine,
Jul 20, 2012

Hyphens? ...

"State Certified" Birth Certificate
Apr 25, 2015

I took some pre-employment documents to a notary yesterday.  The birth certificate, issued by the hospital where I was born 62 years ago, I was told would not do for ID because it was not "state certified".  In order to get a state certified birth certificate, you have to have the notary certify they have seen my birth certificate, then the state issues one they call "certified".  This makes absolutely no sense to me and only delays employment.  Anyone else had this experienc ...

MT School
Mar 08, 2010

Does anyone know a good MT school course? There are so many of them out, but not sure which ones are worth trying. TIA. ...

How Is School Going For Everyone?
May 22, 2010

I know a lot of MTs are back in school, how are you progressing?  I'm waiting for my FAFSA at the moment and am taking 9 more credits this summer (if everything goes smoothly)  We are living on my husband's income and have had to cut down on quite a bit.  I plan on getting my MSW, hopefully within three to four years.  Anyone else want to share? ...

School Help!
May 09, 2012

Hi there...I am wondering if anyone has any advice about which school might be a better idea and why for Medical Transcription: At Home Professions Career Step I live in Minnesota, want to work only from home, have 3 4 year college degrees, one a Master's.  thanks! ...

Meditec School
Nov 30, 2009

I am looking into taking a course with Meditec.  Unfortnately, I cannot find any information about this on the boards.  If anyone has taken their billing/coding course, please let me know if you were prepared for employment when done.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

School Questions . . .
Jan 19, 2010

Okay, so I know there are recommended schools out there.  But what about the local community college?  If I were to take coding classes there, could I get certified?  What about some of these online schools?  Can you coders share your schooling/training experience please? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is 40 Too Old To Go Back To School?
Feb 02, 2010

Being an MT is not paying my bills.  I am thinking about going back to school, but I am 40 and it has been so long since I was in high school.  I have to google to help my son with his 4th grade homework let alone do college math. AND it will be 2 to 4 years before I will get a good job.  I am leaning towards radiology tech, lab tech, or maybe nursing.  Can't  decide just yet but I know that EMR isn't going to be taking those jobs away!!!  Any advice ...

To Those Back In School
Mar 01, 2010

How are you adjusting?  Today is my first day and I want to pull my hair out, lol!  I know I need to give myself a chance to adjust, but i'm the type I want to learn quickly so I don't stress over it or feel incompetent.  I'm just rusty I guess, I hope I get into the groove of things, maybe get to the point where I enjoy it.  Just wondering how you all are doing with the school or profession change.  I've been an MT so long I feel like i'm c ...

Quitting School
Mar 06, 2010

I am taking MT at Career Step, but I am unable to understand these doctors even if I slow down or speed up. I think I am going to quit because how can you transcribe if you can not understand. Can anyone give me some input? ...