A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Certified Tumor Registrar - curiousmt

Posted: Jun 09, 2011

I have a question, if someone would be so kind.

What is the protocol of becoming a Certified Tumor Registrar? Does this happen after one has been coding for awhile? Are there certain credentials? I have researched online and am still confused.

Thank you!

Cancer Tumor Registry - curiousmt

[ In Reply To ..]
No worries, I researched and found my answers. :)

Cancer Tumor Registry - Bizzi

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm curious....What did you find out?

CTR - curiousMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I found out that one can return to school and get an associates degree or a certificate to become a CTR. Or, it is possible to combine a certain number of work experience with school. A CTR works with a lot of data, analyzing, etc. It sounds very interesting and very important in order to obtain stats for cancer research and many other uses. What I am NOT sure of is whether a Cancer Tumor Registrar needs to be a coder FIRST. I have written to a couple folks in order to find this out because I have found inconsistent answers to this. Just from surface information, it appears to me that becoming a coder would make becoming a CTR extremely easier and one would obviously be more educated in this realm.

As far as work environments, CTRs mostly work at cancer centers or at research cancer centers. For instance, I lived near Pittsburgh which has the Univ. of Pittsburgh research medical center, and they have 40 full-time registrars. According to statistics from 2008, there are only 3600 in the country.

Feel free to correct any of this information as it has all come from the internet, and I do not claim any of it as completely true.
CTR - Bizzi
[ In Reply To ..]
Interesting....and thank you for the reply. I've been rather interested in this field also.

Similar Messages:

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar (CTR)?
May 21, 2014

I just got a flier in the mail from AHIMA about becoming a CTR or Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar.  I have never heard of this and so my curioisty is piqued.  My question is could this be another career or is it another way AHIMA is trying to get money out of us?  I am not sure if the hospitals or clinics in my area would need a CTR but I will also be doing my research!  Thanks! ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar Online
May 23, 2014

I received some information in the mail on how to become a certified cancer tumor registrar by training online.  That's a possible alternative to this work for some.  The website is ahima.org/crm. ...

Cancer Tumor Registrar
Apr 30, 2015

Are there any CTRs out there?  If so, are you working from home?  I'd appreciate some input.  Have been taking classes and about ready to take the certification. ...

Pt Had Tumor Right Leg. Tumor Was Grossly Resected. It Turned Out To Be An S/l RCA Resction. TIA
Nov 19, 2009

xx ...

Capitalization - Is It.. Board Certified Or Board Certified ?
Mar 08, 2011

is it.. Board Certified or board certified ? ...

What Does A Hospital Registrar Do?
Mar 25, 2010

My local hospital is advertising for this position but doesn't say what the duties are.  Just says you need medical terminology experience. ...

AHDI Cancer Registrar Course
Mar 22, 2012

I got a folder from AHDI today about a course they offer for this. Guess they are getting out of MT. They never supported the MT's. ...

Cancer Registrar Vs Medical Assistant? Sm
Jun 01, 2013

I'm considering getting out of transcription. I've been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  I'm looking into either CRM or MA - CRM through AHIMA online or MA at local community college.  I'm worried that CRM is too much of a "niche" job. There is a nearby cancer treatment center. However, I'm also worried that MA would not necessarily pay that much.  I would appreciate any input/advice anyone cares to offer.  ...

Any Thoughts On Whether Coder Or Cancer Registrar
Apr 30, 2015

is the more logical jump for an MT?  I love MT, but I only have a vague sense of what skills these other 2 involve.  Thanks for any input.  I am weighing my options. ...

Getting Certified
Apr 01, 2013

I'm currently studying my rear off to become certified, CMT license.  Have almost 15 years of experience under my belt doing this but don't want to waste my time if there won't even be a market for us anymore.  Should I keep going?  Is it worth it?  Can't decide. ...

Getting Certified Without Going To School
Sep 29, 2010

Would it be possible to get certified if you have not attended school?  I have a friend who has worked as a coder for almost 20 years and has never pursued her certification.  Can she just take the test and become certified and still reap the same benefits as someone who completed a course and then became certified?  I am trying to convince her to do it and have even offered to help her study but I wanted to make sure she doesn't have to attend school to do so. ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Is It Worth Getting Certified?
May 22, 2012

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on becoming a CMT. I have been doing transcription for almost 15 years and I am wondering if I can really make more money if I get my CMT. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. ...

Certified Letter
Apr 30, 2013

Doc is dictating a letter and wants "Certified" in the letter. Can anyone tell me where to place this in the letter? Thanks! ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

ADHI CERTIFIED/EXPERIENCE
Jan 16, 2011

I saw a job posted on line for and MT with two years experience in radiology but ADHI certified is a must.  I have 28 years experience but I am not certified. After 28 years I am still learn new terminology every day.  What makes a company just because someone is certified that they are going to be a great MT?  I see no reason to be certified right now because medical transcription is really dying off.  ...

Certified MT Test/just Wondering
Mar 18, 2011

Just wondering if most/all MT's take the state certification test. I was told that it wasn't neccessary to take the test to get a job, but that it helps. ...

Certified Letter From Nuance
Sep 21, 2012

I left Nuance a couple of weeks ago and got what i believe is my last check this past pay period and a check for PTO.  I just got a notice of a certified letter from them, any ideas what it could be?   Thanks ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

Going Back To School And Getting Certified As A Medical Assistant
Mar 24, 2014

I have been in the field of Education for 23 yrs and have been an Administrator for the past 13. Due to the economy,  schools would rather hire those with no experience and pay them less than seasoned veterans like myself. I have 2 in college and a 10yr old I adopted at birth so I am far from retirement. I am considering going back to school and getting certified as a Medical Assistant (which would include Phlebotomy and X-ray tech) and Medical Billing/Coding or Transcription. I am currently un ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Tumor Registry
Jun 29, 2010

I was wondering if anyone has a background in what I have always called Tumor Registry?  I have been an MT for 30+ years, and have been around Tumor Registrars my entire professional life so I have a pretty good idea of the position but just in the hospital setting.  With all the changes happening in the MT industry, Tumor Registry has come across my path several times lately, just at the time I was thinking about this as my second career.  When I was a young MT I always thought i ...

Huner Tumor?
Apr 28, 2010

s/l Huner's tumor (Heuner/Hyuner) related to petechiae and interstitial cystitis....I must be spelling wrong...can't find anything like it anywhere! ...

MRI Of The Brain Tumor
Dec 04, 2010

I am working on an x-ray report for an MRI of a brain tumor.  I have looked on the internet and many medical books.  There are 3 words that I cannot figure out. 1st sentence:  On the pregadolinium coronal thin slice images through the sella, some residual soft tissue prominence is identified within the sella.  Appearing more prominent to the patient's right than to the left.  This idia enhances with gadolinium administration and corresponding today's stud ...

Fibroid Tumor
Apr 28, 2011

A hysterectomy was done in her 20’s due to a large fibroid tumor and s/l "menorajah."  Thanks for any help! ...

Tumor Of The Abdomen
Oct 02, 2011

I'm sure I'm hearing him correctly....spit cell tumor of the abdomen.  When I google, it wants to revert to split cell tumor.  He couldn't be more clear.  Patient has a history of metastatic GIST in her chart (gastrointestinal stromal tumor).  HELP!!   ...

Spinal Tumor Help Please
Mar 06, 2012

Proceeding with our resection with an imminently (sounds llike) "suckable" tumor.. We then opened the arachnoid and the (sounds like) "suckable" tumor was then seen. Resectable would make sense but I just don't hear that Re in there... ...

S/l Hurley Tumor
Nov 24, 2013

Anyone ever heard of this?  No context, just a list in past medical history :-( ...

Breast Tumor Marking
Oct 30, 2009

The area had been previously injected by radiology with s/l "thicknitian sufrakyloid."   This is regarding an excision of a breast tumor.   Thanks. ...

S/l Gormus Tumor (see Post)
Jul 14, 2010

...a mass on the tip of the finger.  There is a small, firm nodule there that is quite sensitive.  At first, I thought this might be a s/l gor-mus tumor; however, there is a lack of coloration and cold sensitivity. ...