A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Certified MT test/just wondering - SAHM

Posted: Mar 18, 2011

Just wondering if most/all MT's take the state certification test. I was told that it wasn't neccessary to take the test to get a job, but that it helps.

SAHM - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
If you mean the CMT offered by AHDI, don't waste your money.

Replies like this one are useless. - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
To the OP:
If you are able to take the CMT, I would encourage you to do so. Please ignore the repeated mantra of far too many MTs on here of "don't waste your time" or "it's meaningless" because both would be incorrect.

Mandatory credentialing is (finally) likely to come to fruition in MT (about 20 years too late but I suppose better late than never).

If you carry the certification, it *may* help you get a job but that's not a guarantee as there are still a ton of variables that go into hiring decisions.

Good luck if you take the test!

Not work it - Pastrami

[ In Reply To ..]
I too say it's so not worth it.
I'm Not Doing It - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not taking any credentialing test until "they" make me. If my current company starts requiring it, then they'll have to pay for it. I am so totally not giving my hard-earned money to an organization that doesn't really support MTs.

If something happens with my current job where I'm out of work, and the only way to get another MT job is with a credential, then I'm out of the business. All that time, trouble, money, etc. for a credential for a position that pays diddly these days is so not worth it. I'd make more money as a secretary (which I hate doing, but MT'ing is is a close second these days) and wouldn't have to pay for a credential.
Re: I'm Not Doing It - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
You're smart. AHDI has become shills for offshoring and has done absolutely nothing for the American MT.
Credential or Not? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am a new graduate and I am thinking get a credential, but most of you are saying don�t waste money is not worth it. So, any suggestion for a new graduates on how to get a job? Thank you for any suggestion.
AHDI preys most upon new MTs, because we - older MTs know theyre a scam organization.
[ In Reply To ..]
AHDI - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Older MTs have had the chance to see AHDI at work in exploiting the MTs. They have done absolutely nothing to help the American MT and everything to hinder us. I have made a lot of money over the years both as an MTSO and working for other companies, and only briefly did I belong to AHDI back when it was still the sorority-sister atmosphered AAMT. Once I saw what the organization formerly known as AAMT was truly about, I said "hasta la vista, baby!" Don't waste your money.
Totally agree with you. It was good in the beginning - Backwards Typist
[ In Reply To ..]
i even went so far as to get the CMT Review Guide to take my exam. I stopped renewing my membership about 10 years ago when I saw where they were heading.

I STILL get emails from them about all the wonderful(?) things they are doing for our profession. Huh? Destroying the careers of U.S.MTs is not my idea of 'wonderful.'

I so agree! I will leave MT before I'll ever give a so - much as a dime to that evil AHDI mob.
[ In Reply To ..]
+

Mandatory credentialling will be a joke if it's a "CMT" - credential, because CMT itself is a joke.

[ In Reply To ..]

XX is right. CMT is a money-making scheme - for AHDI. Dont waste your $$.

[ In Reply To ..]

Yes, the CMT does add a few more job possibilities in my experience - but not everyone can pass it

[ In Reply To ..]
The CMT exam isn't easy. The RMT is supposed to be an exam that most MTs should be able to pass. I've found that f you can pass the CMT, you are ahead of the pack with some employers. That gives you more options to choose from.

CMT does not help - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I make over 50K a year and do not have--or want--the CMT.

Do you believe that your own experience is the same as everyone elses? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

40 years...... - Tynkerbelle

[ In Reply To ..]
40 years in the desert and then.....
40 years for CMT......and then nothing.
you don't make enough. save the 200 bucks a year for dues and put it into a retirement fund. you could one day be rich.

The CMT is more important than ever and the RMT really never has caught on - From what I am seeing

[ In Reply To ..]
The CMT is a difficult test. Not everyone can pass it. I think it's becoming more important than ever with the MTs I've talked to outside of this forum. They tell me that they think it will be a requirement eventually, and I agree. For those who can pass it, I think it's a good idea to go ahead and get it done.

I still say - Fay

[ In Reply To ..]
that the CMT is worthless.

CMT - Former QA Lady

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to do QA, and I can tell you that the CMT credential didn't necessarily mean a thing. I saw some of the sloppiest work and critically wrong terminology from some CMT people. I have no respect for the CMT credential, but it doesn't mean we won't need it someday. At which point, I'm out the door.
We also see QA people who insist that things be done wrong because they don't know better - Just sayin
[ In Reply To ..]
We are seeing some perfectly awful QA people out there insisting that things be done their way, and then the next QA person does it the opposite way. The fact that someone "does QA" does not have much credibility on face.

Similar Messages:

Is Anyone Here An RHIT? Wondering How Difficult The Test Is Compared To CCS Test
Jul 10, 2012

nm ...

Wondering If The Ppl Traveling To NE For A Test Will Be Stranded.
Jan 26, 2015

That would be awful!!  Hope they let us know. ...

Capitalization - Is It.. Board Certified Or Board Certified ?
Mar 08, 2011

is it.. Board Certified or board certified ? ...

Getting Certified
Apr 01, 2013

I'm currently studying my rear off to become certified, CMT license.  Have almost 15 years of experience under my belt doing this but don't want to waste my time if there won't even be a market for us anymore.  Should I keep going?  Is it worth it?  Can't decide. ...

Getting Certified Without Going To School
Sep 29, 2010

Would it be possible to get certified if you have not attended school?  I have a friend who has worked as a coder for almost 20 years and has never pursued her certification.  Can she just take the test and become certified and still reap the same benefits as someone who completed a course and then became certified?  I am trying to convince her to do it and have even offered to help her study but I wanted to make sure she doesn't have to attend school to do so. ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Is It Worth Getting Certified?
May 22, 2012

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on becoming a CMT. I have been doing transcription for almost 15 years and I am wondering if I can really make more money if I get my CMT. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. ...

Certified Letter
Apr 30, 2013

Doc is dictating a letter and wants "Certified" in the letter. Can anyone tell me where to place this in the letter? Thanks! ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

ADHI CERTIFIED/EXPERIENCE
Jan 16, 2011

I saw a job posted on line for and MT with two years experience in radiology but ADHI certified is a must.  I have 28 years experience but I am not certified. After 28 years I am still learn new terminology every day.  What makes a company just because someone is certified that they are going to be a great MT?  I see no reason to be certified right now because medical transcription is really dying off.  ...

Certified Tumor Registrar
Jun 09, 2011

I have a question, if someone would be so kind. What is the protocol of becoming a Certified Tumor Registrar? Does this happen after one has been coding for awhile? Are there certain credentials? I have researched online and am still confused. Thank you! ...

Certified Letter From Nuance
Sep 21, 2012

I left Nuance a couple of weeks ago and got what i believe is my last check this past pay period and a check for PTO.  I just got a notice of a certified letter from them, any ideas what it could be?   Thanks ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar (CTR)?
May 21, 2014

I just got a flier in the mail from AHIMA about becoming a CTR or Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar.  I have never heard of this and so my curioisty is piqued.  My question is could this be another career or is it another way AHIMA is trying to get money out of us?  I am not sure if the hospitals or clinics in my area would need a CTR but I will also be doing my research!  Thanks! ...

Going Back To School And Getting Certified As A Medical Assistant
Mar 24, 2014

I have been in the field of Education for 23 yrs and have been an Administrator for the past 13. Due to the economy,  schools would rather hire those with no experience and pay them less than seasoned veterans like myself. I have 2 in college and a 10yr old I adopted at birth so I am far from retirement. I am considering going back to school and getting certified as a Medical Assistant (which would include Phlebotomy and X-ray tech) and Medical Billing/Coding or Transcription. I am currently un ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar Online
May 23, 2014

I received some information in the mail on how to become a certified cancer tumor registrar by training online.  That's a possible alternative to this work for some.  The website is ahima.org/crm. ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Test S/l Mal-blees Test - Left Elbow Lateral Epicondylitis
Jan 18, 2012

x ...

Gyno Test - S/l Wisp Test? I Think I'm Spent!
Jan 05, 2010

.. ...

How To Type Dr Jones Is "dual Board Certified" In Both Pediatrics And Internal Medicine,
Jul 20, 2012

Hyphens? ...

"State Certified" Birth Certificate
Apr 25, 2015

I took some pre-employment documents to a notary yesterday.  The birth certificate, issued by the hospital where I was born 62 years ago, I was told would not do for ID because it was not "state certified".  In order to get a state certified birth certificate, you have to have the notary certify they have seen my birth certificate, then the state issues one they call "certified".  This makes absolutely no sense to me and only delays employment.  Anyone else had this experienc ...

Knee Test, Sounds Like "Simon's First Test"
May 06, 2015

Doc is doing a knee exam for large meniscal tear and bone-on-bone medial compartment OA.  He says what sounds like "Simons first test" caused grade 4 posterolateral tenderness. Any ideas? Thanks, Andrea ...

Wondering About Pay
Dec 14, 2009

I work as an MT in a very rural area, so the pay is VERY good for me.  We are a one income household since my husband got laid off and I easily pay the mortgage, car payments, all of the bills, etc.  I was wondering, if a person lives in a much more expensive area, like California where a person's mortgage would easily be four times mine, do they get more money per line to compensate for that, or is it the same? ...

Just Wondering???
Feb 22, 2010

Does anyone miss just typing/transcribing a report the old fashioned way?  Expansions are nice, I must admit, but ASR is boring.   Just wondering..... ...

Wondering Again
May 07, 2010

Why do companies not want to use mac computers? I have tested many times using word 2003 on my computer but they get scared or dont know what to do if I tell them I use a mac computer. ...

Okay I Am Wondering What Is Going On? Sm
Jan 29, 2011

I have gone from NJA most of the time to now doing late work and have been having more work the last few days.  How is this possible?  Did MTs quit?  I just don't get it.  I am not complaining mind you but just wondering---how strange! ...

Just Wondering...has Anyone Ever Actually Gotten
Jun 01, 2011

gotten their pay docked 3 cents a line for critical errors, over 5% QA submission, etc.  I haven't heard anyone actually say that happened to them.  Is it just a threat ?  I know they would LIKE to dock our pay.    The reason I ask is that I've been having a bad past few weeks.....extra difficult/bad sound quality reports plus stress along with that has caused me to have to sent more than 5% to QA plus I make two what they call critical errors (I saw them as ...

Just Wondering ...
Jul 09, 2011

Hope I've got this on the right board.  I'm to the point where I need to get a new chair.  My back hurts, my butt hurts, and ... well ... you get the idea.  just wondering if anyone can recommend a good, reasonably priced chair. ...

I Was Just Wondering...
Oct 13, 2011

how hard it would be to switch from doing medical transcription to legal transcription?  That might be a good way to transition out of MT for someone who wants to try something else and still work at home.  I know nothing about it and thought maybe some of you do??     ...

Just Wondering...
Jan 16, 2012

Just wondering...when is "any where" used vs "anywhere"?  Sentence is "fluid draining any where between...."  Which is correct? ...