A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Well, I knew it would happen...This job is literally a pain... - Kiki

Posted: Apr 19, 2012

I have noticed that my right index finger is a little bigger than the left, feeling a little tender, not real painful yet.  I measured them and sure enough it IS bigger.  Great, does this mean I'm getting arthritis or something?  In my late 40s--am I old enough for this?  Probably. 

I just hope this doesn't get any worse.  I'll be in big trouble.   I had to drop my medical insurance.  And if I can't work, I don't know what will happen 

Has anyone tried that glucosamine/chondroitin supplement for joint problems in the hand and had any success?  Any advice?  Thanks in advance.

Same here Kiki! - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
For the past few months, my fingers have been KILLING me. Not my wrists but the actual finger joints, each and every one feeling as if they are individually gradually freezing up on me and that they could all use a shot of WD-40 or something. I have to run my hands under hot water (or do dishes) and toss back an ibuprofen before my shift.

I've been trying the glucosamine/chondroitin, which has helped a tad, but I finally broke down and invested in a Kinesis Advantage keyboard and I'm on night #3 of using it as I write this. I'm taking it slow and steady to adjust to it, and so far ABSOLUTELY NO PAIN at the end of my shift. Yes, it's a wicked expensive investment BUT it's cheaper than a single doctor's visit with maybe an x-ray thrown in just to tell me what I already know.

Slowing down production will certainly help, but sometimes (like in my case) that's just not possible. I would definitely look into new equipment if I were you. Sometimes, even investing in a new chair can help. Good luck and I hope you find something to make you feel better!

Kiki and Hayseed - Check this out

[ In Reply To ..]
Over on the VR/Speech Recognition board, a few of us were posting about various aches and pains we've developed doing VR as opposed to the usual aches and pains with straight transcription (i.e., finger pain, shooting pains from elbows to wrist, etc). It's a relatively recent thread and covers pretty much what you're saying here, and people wondering how long it will take for Worker's Comp cases to start popping up due to VR and that uncomfortable position to edit we're required to hold.

You both might find it an interesting read.

get a lamp that can hang over your hands - while typing

[ In Reply To ..]
Preferably one that you can grasp from the outside when you want some instant warmth. I have one with an adjustable neck and a cone-shaped head. It doesn't get that hot on the outside, and I can warm my hands on it if I need extra and immediate warmth. The bonus is it illuminates your keyboard as well. I have worked with this kind of lamp for many years and cannot imagine working without it now.

P.S. - Dairy foods are bad for joints.

[ In Reply To ..]
I was already a vegetarian, but since I went vegan, I have had no stiffness or soreness anywhere.

There are myriad health benefits to this lifestyle. It has actually reversed the aging process. My skin looks terrific, I have lost a lot of weight without exercising, and I feel so much better.

I hear you and... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
and agree 100%. Since I gave up meat 12 years ago, and especially dairy, I've seen lots of health problems disappear. All of my 4 siblings (ranging in ages from 55-63) have arthritis and lots of other health problems. I'm the middle child age 59 and I don't have arthritis or any of the other health problems my siblings have but they just refuse to hear me out. In fact, most of the time they get mad at me if I even mention giving up their beloved addictions. At family reunions, I always hear how I look like the baby in the family. My siblings continue to call me the "lucky one" who got all the "good genes." Even when I tell them luck had nothing to do with it. Some people just don't want to hear that kind of news and would rather suffer. Even my grown children suffer more health problems than I do. It will take years and years before the truth becomes a reality and people actually start to believe it, if they even want to do something about it but that's the nature of human nature. Many of us would rather suffer, take pills and go through surgery than let go of our addictions. I wouldn't be one of those...and apparently you as well. ; )
I wanted to go into my old age as healthy as I could - to be proactive in my health care.
[ In Reply To ..]
If you want to email and swap recipes, I'm game!

Would love that...I've got plenty..sm - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I even convinced my meat/cheese-eating husband of the benefits and most of the time he stays on the wagon because he knows how good it makes him feel. : )
Could you both share some of these recipes with me - prettyplease
[ In Reply To ..]
I would like to try this diet as I have a lot of problems lately and I am way too young. I would like to try a different lifestyle but have no clue where to start.

Thank you in advance.
It's not really.... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
that complicated. Just stay away from all animal products...meat--even chicken and fish, dairy products--milk, cheese, ice cream, anything that originally came from a cow's teats (which is a nutrient meant for a calf...not human). Eat all the vegetables you want, some fruit every day, beans, a few nuts and seeds, potatoes (yes potatoes...they're not the evil villian, just leave off butter and sour cream), rice, corn. You can find plenty of recipes in books by doctors who promote this type of diet (which is the best one for humans). Two of the best are Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Joel Fuhrman and. Log into their websites and you will find all the info you need. I, personally, would never go back to the unhealthy diet I had 15 years ago. When I see all the pain in my family, it only makes me even more determined. I catch a lot of flack for wanting to be healthy and eating this way. Maybe those who harrass me are made to look like they have no willpower. I really haven't figured it out yet but it doesn't deter me. I love feeling good and never having to visit the doctor. I could give you lots more info but I worry about opening emails from anyone on this site.
I have never met a truly happy vegan/vegetarian. - :-/
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a few in my life and they are all a bunch of quite miserable ladies...and they Facebook a lot and almost all of their posts, nay, ALL of their posts, are about how tired they are, how sick they are, how sad they are about the world...

Life is too short to be so miserable all the time.
I guesss... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
you haven't met us all then. LOL I'm very happy. I'm not sick and haven't been in years. I don't have doctor appointments, medical bills, and a pharmacy of pills to take every day. I'm not overweight and can move. I'm not tired.....have far more energy than even my grown daughter. The thing I'm sad about is how I constantly have to hear about everyone's newest ailment, newest prescription, doctor's appointments, surgery schedules....on and on and, if I don't want to hear, I'm accused of being non-sympathetic and insensitive. These people (my family included) don't sound happy to me but I guess that would depend on your definition of happiness and I guess lots of us can be "happy" while nursing an ailment we don't need to have. I prefer to feel good and happy at the same time. But that's just me.
I hear you? - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
What "addictions" are you referring to? Don't put milk and dairy into that category. Be careful when you brag about not having health problems. You could fall and break your leg like I did at 57. That was my first "health problem" and I went through surgery but it wasn't because of my "crappy" diet it was because I tripped on something at work that should not have been there. Everyone loves being preached to about the vegan lifestyle so be sure to keep doing that with your siblings. Not to burst your bubble but luck does have something to do with it, so does genetics. You could have a car accident and get messed up, you could fall down the stairs. All I'm saying is, you're not protected from bad things because you don't eat meat, don't look down on others because they think differently than you.
You can control what you put in your mouth - is all she meant
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think anyone would eschew surgery for a broken leg - we are talking about factors under our control
[ In Reply To ..]
Addictions I am referring to.... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
is EXACTLY that, esepecially dairy. I can't count the people who've told me "I'm not EVER giving up my cheese!" You'd think they were on a drug of some kind. Milk has casomorphine in it which makes it addicting. Surgery to repair a broken bone is different than surgery to repair your clogged arteries. Maybe if your bones had been stronger.... I fell on our porch last winter when it was icy and hit hard. Nothing broke. I'm not saying a person can't get broken bones because any bone can break depending on how hard it is stressed but meat and dairy make acid in our bodies which is not good for our bones. Luck has very little to do with our health. We may be predisposed genetically to develop disease based on the bad habits of our ancestors but we have the ability to change that. You have a strange outlook....I don't look down on others. I try to encourage them to make changes for themselves so they can be healthier themselves. I don't want to watch my younger siblings die before me. I'm not bragging. I'm stating a fact. I know I'm human and can get the same diseases as anyone else. So far, I have managed to avoid them because of the changes I've made. Those like you who protest too much obviously don't welcome change. In fact, I believe that those who protest and harrass those who do want to try are simply fearful the truth will become obvious and they will have to take the responsibility for their own health. It's pretty scary to not be able to rely on that "old genetic myth" and make good choices and give up our addictions. This has nothing to do with people who "think differently than me." It has to do with what doctors are telling us. I guess some of them do "think differently" at least the ones who care about their patients.

I do agree...but I'm already a vegan and still I get the achy finger : ( - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
That's why I was hoping someone had tried that glucosame/chondroitin supplement and had luck with it.
Vegan... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I know that the dairy industry sneaks milk and cheese into all kinds of products. If you don't read labels, you might be getting dairy. I can tell when I get dairy right away, my sinuses plug and I can't breathe at all. I had to laugh at my youngest brother...We were eating in a restaurant with him and his wife and he told me he had given up all dairy thinking it would help clear up his kidney stones and then he had some macaroni and cheese. LOL I think it's very hard to stay dairy free unless you're very vigilant and read labels religiously. I have to be, if I want to breathe.
Products...sm - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
that contain dairy are almost all packaged foods such as cereal, cereal bars, most breads and even non-dairy cheese and vegetarian "meat" products. If you don't strictly eat whole fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and legumes, you are more than likely ingesting dairy and dairy has been positively linked to arthritis. In fact, all acidic foods (meat and dairy) are linked to arthritis, among other diseases. That's why I steer clear. I need my fingers to be able to bend, at least until I can retire.
Grains are acidic, inflammatory. Also... (sm) - NutritionGeek
[ In Reply To ..]
The fact that the OP is vegan really means nothing here. Her diet could be more inflammatory than most. I see vegetarians/vegans who eat horribly, lots of processed foods, lots of grains, lots of things from boxes.

I do agree about the dairy. Every one I know reports feeling much better without it (myself included). It's inflammatory as well as insulinogenic, and produces a lot of mucus. A2 cow casein causes a LOT of problems in humans.
I agree somewhat... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I also see "fat/unhealthy" vegans. If you're eating out of a box, you're not going to be healthy, regardles of whether you're avoiding meat and dairy. But....avoiding grains means you're avoiding one part of a healthy diet. I do see your point. Lots of grains are contaminated but then so are a lot of our fruits and vegetables. We can't all go "organic" because organic is not available everywhere right now. Hopefully, with time, that will change. I do know that some of us are highly allergic to the contaminants in these grains but, if our immune systems are strong, most of the time we can overcome these toxins. I've actually heard people argue that because of the "pesticides" on our produce, we should eat animal foods instead. Now there's a double whammy. LOL

Dairy products - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
There's no proof that it's bad for joints. I wouldn't advise anyone not to eat dairy, calcium and vitamin D help to build bones. I know there are a lot of other sources of calcium but dairy's a good one. You've lost weight without exercising because you are eating fewer calories than before, that's not rocket science and it has nothing to do with dairy.
cow's milk is for - baby cows, period
[ In Reply To ..]
100 years ago, maybe, but not now. There are plenty of data on the harmful effects of cow's milk on the human body, especially the way the cows are raised these days with hormones and fed grain instead of grass. You've been sold a bill of goods by the Dairy Council, that's all. There are very healthy societies on this planet with people who do not consume dairy. You can get plenty of calcium from green leafy vegetables among other foods.
I disagree... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
and so do several good doctors who make a very good living getting people off meat and dairy and reversing the diseases they once had. Calcium can be obtained in other, healthier, food choices than dairy and we really don't need as much as once claimed. Those companies that make millions want you to believe you need far more calcium than you really do. In fact, those who get the most calcium from dairy have the weakest bones according to statistics and vitamin D is added to milk. It comes from the sun. Where in the world did people get their vitamin D before they starteed chasing cows down??? The SUN. There is proof that dairy is bad for joints. The fact that people choose not to believe it is the problem. And....another reason why I would avoid dairy is because of the extra hormones, antibiotics given to cows and the fact that most cows have tuberculosis and leukemia while they are being milked. Why would anyone want to drink the milk of an animal who harbors all these toxins? You may ask, then why aren't the calves all dying?? Cattle do not live as long as we do. By the time the mother cows develop these diseases, they only live a few more years any way and their calves are weaned in one year, whereas humans continue to drink it all their lives. Where do the cows get these diseases? From all the ingredients added to their feeds. If you can drink the milk of a healthy cow who only eats grass, have at it...it would be better for you but then I have to ask why would you want to? Our own mothers wean us by age 3. If I'm going to drink any form of milk, I would want it to be from own mother...not another species.
Calcium - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I drink soy milk but do eat some of the other dairy products and I do take calcium and D supplements prescribed by my DOCTOR. I don't have joint problems and I've been a milk drinker all my life, I don't have breathing problems. Vitamin D comes from the sun but too much of that is not good for you either. I don't know if it was you, but I just didn't like the comments that were made by the person who ate vegan bragging that she had no health problems and claimed that it was because of her diet. No one here has enough knowledge to be handing out medical advice, that's actually kind of dangerous. Also, no one knows what's waiting for them around the next corner, a person's health status can change unexpectedly regardless of what they eat.
We will just... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
agree to disagree. That usually works best. Most doctors have absolutely NO nutritional training. I would be more willing to trust a doctor who has treated patients with nutrition rather than one who hasn't...probably like your YOUR doctor. I realize that many people don't have problems related to their bad habits. I had an uncle who lived into his 90s and who smoked starting at age 12. That doesn't mean that smoking is good for you. I think many of us DO have problems but we just tend to ignore them, especially if they aren't life threatening. Our diet is usually the cause of most of our health problems whether we choose to believce it or not. Some people will suffer from asthma, some from arthritis, some from rashes, some will get leukemia, some will get osteoporosis, etc. and most of us will try to find something else to blame it on rather than what we ingest. It's human nature to do that. I don't claim to have the knowledge but there are doctors out there with the experience who do and I believe them. We each can make our own decisions in life. I'm not too afraid of the sun myself. Now dairy is another issue...something made to nourish a species with 2 stomachs (an entirely different digestive system than mine) and that walks on all fours is not something for humans...at least not this human. I really don't care if you like my comments or not. I don't appreciate those who tell me that lots of meat and cheese is good for me but they certainly have the right to believe it AND say it, even when some doctors say different. Those doctors who claim it's good for you, I'm sure, eat that way themselves and they are just as sick as their patients. We may not know what awaits us but we can sure do our best to prevent most of our health challenges. Some of us just prefer to do it the healthier way....through our diets and exercise instead of through a bottle of pills and surgical treatments. I think that works the best and that's my opinion based on the experience of those who do know. I find it humorous that you think telling others that eating healhier is "handing out medical advice." Shame on my mother.... LOL
Your're assuming - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
That because I don't eat vegan that I am consuming lots of meat and cheese, wrong! Fish and lean poultry are also meat, but I also eat rice and beans, I hope you won't argue that our bodies need protein. Yogurt has probiotic properties and I'm not going to stop eating that. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis but it's in my family and I can't take estrogen. You need to be looking at the big picture before you assume that diet is to blame for everything.
I assume nothing... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Fish and poultry are also meat. I am including them. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make there?? Our bodies need protein but we get far more than we need and there is protein in almost everything we eat, so adding meat and dairy just adds more, plus a lot of acid. Keep eating your yogurt....I'll pass. There is lots of osteoporosis in my family of dairy eaters too but I don't have it. I don't want to take estrogen and won't and my bones are still strong. Exercise is the best way to make strong bones, not dairy and not continuing on estrogen for the rest of our lives. It's funny how so many people continue to hang onto the myths that are perpetuated by our medical community. The "big picture" is all about diet and it's been studied rigorously. Some of us are catching on. ; )

Supplements, MSM/glucosamine/chondroitin - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When you take these natural joint sups, you have to include the MSM. I have RA and arthritis, lots of gym injuries to the joints, and it's the combo of the three together that do the trick of lubricating the joints and helping rebuild the cushion in between. The dosage really matters, too. I buy the strongest dosage of all three together and take one a day. I'm 47 and been at this for 24 years. Also owned a bar and bartended for 7 years. Top that off with a 5 day a week weight lifting/gym regimen and it's a recipe for stiff joints LOL.

Google MSM/glucosamine/chondroitin together. I guarantee you will really ease your joint pain within a month with that combo. And it's all natural and won't interact with any meds.

Good luck to all of us stiffies LOL!

Thank you !! I will definitely look into this. n/m - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
x

SAMe - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
I've recently tried SAMe, and that seems to help with the joint pain. It also helps with my slightly depressed mood from being stuck in the house all the time.

I know how you feel, and I am only in my 30s. I tried to pressure wash my deck after my shift about a month ago and my hand/fingers got all swollen in less than 30 minutes. It took me a couple days to recover from that one.

I hope you get some relief :)

I have severe osteoarthritis in my thumbs. Luckily, - (sm)-Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
they don't hurt enough to stop me from typing. I do a lot of the same things Hayseed does... running hot water on my hands or doing dishes really helps warm them up. I get far more work done with warm hands than with cold, anyway, even without the arthritic thumbs.

Even in warm weather, my hands can get cold, and thumbs achy. I got a pair of knit gloves with the fingers cut out, and I use those in the wintertime. In the summer, I have lightweight, sort of Spandex-like fingerless gloves.

Glucosamine & chondroitin does help, as does Aleve. I would imagine a better diet would help, as well, but I'm just not a foodie, don't like to cook, and I'm lazy!

Your finger sounds like it has some sort of inflammation. (Could be joints, infection, or ?) You could try an anti-inflammatory and/or ice it for a few minutes, and see what happens. It might at least help in the short run.

It might also be a good time to recheck your ergonomics. I get a lot of relief by having my keyboard down at lap level. I either work with it in my lap, or use an adjustable keyboard tray. If the finger is hurting only during certain movements on the keyboard, it might be possible to retrain yourself to use the finger a little less.

I'm sure that after some time and a little detective work, you'll eventually find the right combination of things to do to relieve your pain.

=^..^=

Get off the grains and nightshades NOW. - NutritionGeek

[ In Reply To ..]
Inflammatory!

extrapolate, please - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
All grains? Even quinoa?

Quinoa is actually a seed and is OK. Not inflammatory, won't flare joints. (nm) - NutritionGeek

[ In Reply To ..]
x

???? NIghtshades? Whatever does that mean? haha - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Tomatoes...any "vegan" knows that. ; ) - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
`
and potatoes, and eggplants, among others - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Gluten-free, dairy-free, no nightshades - At least the first two

[ In Reply To ..]
Not grain-free . . . gluten-free. Nice article in Wikipedia on what that is. Quinoa is fine and so is buckwheat--no gluten in either. Oats are GF, but can be contaminated in processing so you ned to get oats that are certified GF (Bob's Red Mill). Rice and corn are fine.

Potatos and tomatos are in the nightshade family.

where do you learn all of this stuff - so lost

[ In Reply To ..]
I really am so lost. Gluten free, grain free, dairy free, meat free, and certain fruits and veggies are bad also... what is left? I feel like I dont know what I can eat anymore. Vegan diet, vegetarian diet, Adkins diet, weight watchers diet, no diet just exercise more???????? My head hurts. Its so confusing.

Im in my 40s, walk 4-6 miles at least 4 days a week, I am overweight and have super bad eczema. Do I just eat dried beans the rest of my life?

google "how to be a vegetarian" - you can start there

[ In Reply To ..]
I weeded out red meat first, then pork, then chicken, and ate a lot of fish. Then I stopped the fish. Then I stopped milk and cheese. Eggs were last. But you dont' have to do that. You listen to your own body and see how you feel. Maybe you still want to eat fish and eggs. You do it gradually and you educate yourself about how to replace the calcium. There is protein in almost everything, so don't let anyone tell you you aren't getting enough. We eat way too much protein in this country. It's the calcium you want to watch, and you can get it in green leafy vegetables and in almond milk. Go to a healthfood store and look around. Try to eat as much organic food as you can. Organic means it was grown without pesticides. There are plenty of websites and books out there to get you started.
Thank you. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Iodine - Girl4givn

[ In Reply To ..]
Wellll..... I know I'm going to get backlash, but I have to share my experience. I have had excruciating back pain for a couple of years (I assumed due to the job and a fall I took down the stairs on a rainy morning). That, coupled with arm pain, wrist pain, elbow pain, eyeball pain, you name it. Im only in my early 40's and I had gotten to the point where my husband had to help me get in and out of bed.

So, a few months ago, in my quest to find out why my energy was so low, I came across a blog by a woman who had started taking Nascent iodine and said she felt like she could initially feel the energy coursing through her veins. I know, scary. I researched it more and finally decided to take the plunge.

Now keep in mind, my thyroid functions have tested fine. I am overweight, but not grossly overweight. I knew I was taking a chance taking this stuff, but I was desperate. I started taking it once it arrived, one little drop in a small glass of water every couple of hours. You're not supposed to OD yourself on it... you have to build up. I just want you guys to know, in the few short months I have taken it, my life has completely changed. I can't even take a nap in the middle of the day - not because I'm jittery, but I'm just plain awake.

If that isn't good enough, two days after I started taking it, the alarm went off and I bounded out of bed like a 5-year-old. Not ONE OUNCE of back pain. Haven't had any since either.

I don't market this stuff, and I definitely don't recommend anyone who has any kind of medical problems to take it for sure. But, if you're like me and you're willing to guinea pig yourself, PLEASE, PLEASE research it! I'm getting ready to order a book on it. The thing that really sold me were the studies I looked at that showed the Japanese have such high intakes of iodine from seaweed and such, and the low incidence of disease and illness they have that we are plagued with here in the US.

Anyway, just wanted to let you ladies know what has been a miracle for me. My kids make fun of me, I talk about it so much. My daughter told me the other day, "Mom, you just think iodine is going to save the world!"

Similar Messages:

I Knew It Would Happen
Nov 25, 2009

I knew that sooner or later one of these Indian ESLs would revert back into speaking in their own tongue.  I suspected that before but it was just their way of speaking English.  I couldn't believe it when this guy today, midsentence, started talking in his Indian dialect.  He laughed at himself, embarassed, then continued in English.  I didn't find it funny. ...

I Knew It Would Happen To Me Sooner Or Later…
Feb 01, 2012

I just need to vent…. I’ve been working part time as an IC for a hospital in the Midwest for about 10 months now. They actually found my resume online and contacted me.   I was already working 2 other part time jobs which really took up a lot of my time, but of course, not much money involved, so I decided to take it.    I did all the training and caught on very quickly.  In the beginning, I was able to work whenever I wanted since work was plentiful. ...

A Load Off Literally
Jul 17, 2013

Finally quit. Except for leaving MM I have never felt such a load taken off my shoulders. I am going to a hospital system where historically they do not treat people like robots, or slaves. I was going to try to hang on here, by hermiting (do my job and not look at e mails, etc) but decided to try to get out and with a lot of job hunting it worked. I still cannot believe how much pressure has lifted. Oddly I no longer feel depressed. I guess now I know what was causing my sadness... I am not say ...

I Am Literally Amazed That On One Screen
Jun 08, 2012

there is a whole long thread about people with NJA and no PTO time left because of it, people complaining about mandatory OT, AND comments about ads to hire more new MT's.  This company is truly weird. ...

Literally Physically Sick Of This
Jul 30, 2013

These are the last 3 days of my notice. I thought I would be elated. Instead, I had a really really bad day (again). I have always done well, been in the business forever. I learned to hang on here a year, rarely if ever paid mind to the nasty e mails because I kept my nose to the grindstone. I managed to get bonus almost every payperiod the last several months, and last time got the big bonus.   All of a sudden out of nowhere about 3 weeks ago I suddenly sucked so bad as an MT it seems I ...

Pain Radiation In Chest Pain - Should Be Easy But I'm
Nov 08, 2010

I'm going completely blank on this one.  The patient entered the hospital for chest pain.  The doc states:  (blank sounds like gel, or jail)   He denies any current discomfort but states when it is present it is usually a mild to moderate degree of pressure about the chest.  He denies any radiation to the _____, arms, or back. ...

Literally Instructed To Clock Into DocQScribe
Mar 25, 2011

Schedule Source.  That 4-5 seconds is really that important?  ...

I Am Literally Going BROKE Working For This Company
Dec 05, 2011

My region has just brought on a few new accounts which would be considered a good thing for most but here is my problem.  I'm an MME so these new accounts are all 100% QA which means I've only made $0.03 cpl for days now.  To make it a thousand times worse, it seems as if every doctor on one of our new accounts has a different set of samples and formatting to follow so when I'm not earning $0.03 cpl QA'ing other people's work I've got at least a dozen samples open ...

Literally Was Falling Asleep While Typing Just Now...
Dec 20, 2011

Was just falling asleep while transcribing a report.  I kept nodding off.  I had to rewind quite a few times to see what I may have missed.  I usually don't have this problem, but I went to bed really late and had to get up earlier than usual so didn't get the sleep I normally do.  What is a good wake up remedy?  ...

This Place Makes Me Literally Ill. No Joke
Oct 02, 2012

I don't think I am going back to working here. My son thinks it isn't right for me to leave b/c of a bad boss who micromanages everyone until they cannot breathe.  I have another source for money and for the little I make here it isn't worth the effort anymore. Just writing to warn others about the micromanaging done here.  The pay is so little, it isn't worth it. Thanks for listening. I know this is a negative move on my behalf regarding money but you cannot take m ...

Shaw's E Mails Literally Crack Me Up!
Jul 23, 2013

These stupid tips he gives in his e mails. Has he ever transcribed a day in his life?? My guess..no! ...

Frustration And Anger Over This Job Might Literally Be Killing Me.
Apr 02, 2015

I once took great pride in the practice of medical transcription.  Funny that we didn't call ourselves "editors" then, because the fact is that we really were editors in much more of the true sense of that word than we are now.  A true editor can take garbage, stomp it, filter it, ferment it, age it, and ultimately bring forth a bottle of delicious wine from it. This, we did also.  From garbage dictations, we used superior language skills, a knowledge of many subjects, skill ...

Who Knew?
Jul 15, 2010

x ...

I Wish I Knew Why . . .
Mar 10, 2013

there are 74 late jobs in my area, yet I sit here with NJA.  It just doesn't make sense :( ...

I JUST KNEW IT!
Dec 24, 2013

File it under Damned if you do.... Yesterday I had a report where they mention THORACENTESIS twice.... but... hmmm... poor quality, can they be saying PLEUROCENTESIS? So, like an idiot I look up old reports from this patient and there, in both old reports it says THORACENTESIS so that's what I went with.... Waiting for me in this mornings EMAIL....DING, DING... ...

QC Audits I Never Knew About
Oct 14, 2009

Okay, I may be the last one to know this, but I thought the only QC audits I was getting were the ones showing up on the DQM QA Feedback screen where it says (1 unread) or (how many ever unread). When you click on them, if the report has been audited by your QC, it will have a percentage score.  But that's just for the reports you sent in with a blank. To see the ones randomly selected and audited, you have to use the QA Feedback Search feature and put in a date range. For example, I j ...

I Wish We Knew How Many, If Any, Were Desperate Enough
Sep 10, 2014

d ...

MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION AS WE ONCE KNEW IT
Dec 28, 2010

I have been looking at different boards and needed to post some answers to a few questions I read.    TRANSCRIPTION AS WE OR AS MOST OF US KNEW IT APPEARS TO BE GONE.  ONE DOES NOT NEED TO LOOK FAR TO SEE THE ATTEMPTS TO SELL COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL MTS A "BILL OF GOODS" OR ---- IN OUR FACES AND TELL US IT IS RAINING. YES OSI OUTSOURCES AND HAS FOR MANY YEARS.  TWO YEARS AGO WHEN SOME OF US WHO WORKED AT OSI ASKED ABOUT IT--WE WERE LIED TO BY THE COORDINATOR SAYING, "W ...

Oh Me, I Wish I Knew Who Decides Which Physicians To Put On
Jan 24, 2012

VR and which ones not to.  I'm very rapidly beginning to remember why I wasn't particularly fond of VR.  ...

I Sure Wish I Knew What It Is I'm Dong Wrong!!!!!!!
Jun 26, 2012

I've been applying only to in house positions for hospitals and clinics.  I refuse to work for any more MTSOs.  The job ads that occasionally come up that are close enough to commute to are few and far between.  In the last 4 years I've applied to quite a few of them, 3 since January this year. It's always the same old story:  "The job is filled" is what I'm always told.  Even for those 3 that granted me in-person interviews this year, it's alw ...

S/l Thickwood Pain Or Sicoid Pain Sm
Jan 08, 2010

He is referring to premenstrual pain?? ...

Closterpedic Pain, Posteralpedic Pain?
Jun 05, 2011

Transcribing rheumatology - s/l closterpedic pain, posturopedic pain.  Any ideas?  Patient recently had shingles, if that helps. ...

I Knew It. Our First HIPPA Lawsuit! Could Effect MT's.
Jan 26, 2010

I have GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS SWEAT SHOP SO CALLED PROFESSION!! Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal filed the lawsuit on January 12, 2010. In the complaint, Blumenthal alleges that last May a portable disk drive containing Personal Health Information (PHI), social security numbers, and bank account numbers from about 1.5 million customers disappeared while in transit between Connecticut and California. The company did not inform any gover ...

Any Experience Or Knew Anything About InScribe?
Mar 09, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or knew anything about InScribe? Is it a good company to work for? For the past month, I have been contacted a couple of times saying I would either be sent information about openings and also that someone would be calling me to help me get started, and neither one has happened. Is  this typical?    ...

Never Knew Columbus Day Was Such A Major Holiday
Oct 12, 2013

Did all the docs go out of town for the big Columbus Day celebrations? ...

Pt. Rates Pain 9/10 On The "Verbal Analog Pain Scale"??? I Can't Document This, Help:
Nov 18, 2014

nm ...

Has Anyone Ever Had This Happen?
Apr 01, 2010

Pass your transcription test and have the recruiter say that she will call you at a certain time for an interview and then never call? ...

Has Anyone Had This Happen.....
Nov 12, 2010

Hi, don't know if this is the right place to ask, but two mornings in a row, I have received this in my Hotmail "junk" mail box.  It says "Private Notice" and the subject line says "YOU'RE DEAD."  Of course I haven't opened these and sent them directly to "delete."  Does anyone know if there's a new virus or worm or something going around like this?  Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?  I've googled and checked Norton and McAfe ...

Anybody Have This Happen?
Mar 11, 2011

It seems like I am always changed to a different account whenever we have an incentive program going on. Is that their way of telling me they do not want me to make any extra money, not that I make much now, LOL. ...

Does This Happen To You...
Jan 23, 2012

You see a job listing, and when you click on it and read the description you think, "Hey, I can do that!"  You even think or know that you would enjoy doing that kind of work. Then you register and begin the online application process.  It's 29 pages, with every single detail about your jobs for the past 10 years REQUIRED/MANDATORY fields! You either begin the process with good intentions, but after a while you have a headache and tire of it so give up and either aband ...