A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I sure wish I knew what it is I'm dong wrong!!!!!!! - Job Huntress

Posted: Jun 26, 2012

I've been applying only to in house positions for hospitals and clinics.  I refuse to work for any more MTSOs. 

The job ads that occasionally come up that are close enough to commute to are few and far between.  In the last 4 years I've applied to quite a few of them, 3 since January this year.

It's always the same old story:  "The job is filled" is what I'm always told.  Even for those 3 that granted me in-person interviews this year, it's always a rejection email I get, never an offer.  I've politely responded and asked if I could have some feedback on what skills or experience they'd like to see, so I can do better on my next try at landing a job.  But of course, that's always some Great Big Secret.

All 3 jobs this year were for a specialty I have almost 30 years' experience in.  PLUS I can do most other specialties, as well.  I'm currently employed.  In 2 cases I lived about 60 miles from the job, in the third case I lived only 7 miles away.  I went all-out for the interview in terms of my appearance, and I look roughly 10-15 years younger than my chronological age.  I'm extremely flexible about hours/days worked.  I'm very healthy.  To the best of my knowledge, I was charming and personable in the interview.  There are some questions I could've answered better, one typing test where I was a little slow (had problems with the weird keyboard on the hospital's PC), but that aside, had they hired me, they would've gotten someone who plans to work at LEAST another 15-20 years, would have appreciated the job and worked my butt off for them, and done my level best to be an asset to their organization. 

And yet... they always manage to find a job applicant they like better.  I'm really getting discouraged, and worried, because I've been getting by with my lousy MTSO pay by using money from my savings.  The savings will run out at the end of this year, if not sooner.  Going back to school is not an option.  I've applied for other non-MT jobs that I know I could have done well at, even without actual experience in that particular job (vet receptionist, MD/dentist reception/office worker), and even for the FEW ads I've answered that didn't REQUIRE 1-5 years' experience in a doctor's (or vet's) office, I never even get a rejection email on those. 

I'm starting to reach the point where I dread even having to apply for a job anymore, because each rejection just pounds me into the ground a little bit further, and that's the last thing I need right now.  What I DO need is HOPE.  And yet even when I apply for a job, especially when I actually get to interview for it, I can barely bring myself to hope anymore, because I just don't want the inevitable disappointment that's sure to follow. 

(LOL - besides spelling "doing" wrong, anyway!) - nm - Job Huntress

[ In Reply To ..]
NMSG

Actually, I think the original was closer to the truth. - We are ALL dong something wrong.

[ In Reply To ..]

Kind of a catchy tune:

"Oh-oh-oh
Mr MTSO
You dong me wrong...."

don't stop trying! - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
In-house and clinic MT jobs are very few and very far between. You're competing with dozens of super-qualified MTs, unlike in the past when we all worked in-house and it was tough for hospitals/clinics to find qualified MTs.

Don't give up, and don't limit yourself to just MT. Consider alphanumeric data entry at a lab or a bank.

Good luck!!!

Up until now I thought I WAS "super-qualified". I'd - like to know what suddenly makes me NOT.

[ In Reply To ..]
So far, the only things I can think of that might make me "different" from the other applicants are -

I'm in my early 60's (though I can still pass for 40).

The hospitals (seeing how bad most MTSO transcription is), don't want a former MTSO transcriptionist working for them, thinking we're all like that, even though most of my life's experience was at in house jobs. Maybe they still don't know where most of the MTSO work is being typed. (offshore)

I'm becoming suspicious (or paranoid) that my current MTSO boss is saying bad things about me to any potential employer who calls.

That the place I interviewed with had no intention of hiring me (or anyone else from the "outside"), and only placed the ad in order to appear non-discriminatory.

So many places are dead-set on finding MTs who CURRENTLY use exactly the same type of software they use. As if we're somehow not capable of learning their software. (They all had to learn it at some point, too.. They seem to forget that).

One last thing I can think of off the top of my head is maybe I appeared too eager.. too in need of a job. Like if I'd had more of an aloof, "and what can YOU offer ME?" kind of attitude, they'd hire me because they felt I didn't NEED a job that bad. Pretty hard to act that way when, truth be told, I REALLY DID NEED THAT JOB!

I didn't mean to offend... truly - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
When I said "super-qualified" I was referring to an MT having every single little qualification (legal and not so legal) that they want, e.g. age, weight, personality, cigarette smoking, personal references, speech patterns, color of teeth, whether or not they think you're trainable to their ways, whether or not they think you'll work well with the rest of the team, all on top of the style of transcription you use and your test results.

Hospitals can now pick and chose who they hire. There are so many desperate MTs out there... and the hiring managers know it and they're going to take full advantage.

It'd be great to know why we don't get picked for jobs, and sometimes we're lucky enough to be given that information, but most often we're not.

I can't stress enough, don't give up. If there's a particular hospital in which you're interested, on your own time, take a tour of the hospital to see the types of people they like to hire. I'm being very serious. I've done this. Also, do your research. No employer wants an employee who is just "passing through." They want to know, without a doubt, that you're there for them and them alone.

I have to ask, how long has it been since you've worked in-house for a clinic or hospital?

No, no, no! You didn't offend me at all! It's the - potential employers that offend me! ;)
[ In Reply To ..]
PS: It's only been about 5 years since I worked - in-house at a hospital. nm
[ In Reply To ..]

in house jobs - me

[ In Reply To ..]
My experience has been that when a job opening happens in a hospital, they often look in-house first to fill it (but have to post and interview others), next go on a referral by someone who already works there (again, they have to post and interview), and then third go with the person who will cost the least.

In these jobs, you may have been "rejected" before you even showed up. It's not always a rejection of you and your skills, sometimes it just is.

Keep looking. Your fit is out there.

I agree - On site MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That is what our local hospital does in regard to giving employees first shot at the MT jobs. It's difficult because they generally have part-time and on call people who want to move up. I know there been a couple of jobs that I thought were in the bag for me only to have them given to a current employee. I used to take it personally, but as you say, it is what it is. I'm in a pretty stable situation but always looking. Also, something that we never saw in previous years. there are actually unemployed MTs out there looking for work. Don't give up, if it's the right gig for you, you will get it.

The question is, will I get it before my savings - finally runs out? - JobHuntress

[ In Reply To ..]
Been looking for almost 4 years, but getting more desperate as the savings dwindles lower and lower. My current job only pays the rent. Food, insurance, utilities and gasoline are coming out of my savings.

The US is going to get swamped with out-of-work or under-employed seniors/baby boomers in the next 5 years. I sure would like to know what exactly we're all supposed to do if we can't live on SS (if we even get it at all), and can't find a job to supplement it. Put us all into concentration camps, perhaps?

It's probably not you - Nik

[ In Reply To ..]
There are just so many MTs looking for work that it's a numbers game. Who knows how long the people who got the jobs you interviewed for had been looking? Really, it's sort of like dating. You can go out with 20 guys before you find one you want, and even then it might not work out and you have to start over. Just do what you've been doing--maybe ask your friends for some honest feedback if you're not getting it from the companies you interviewed with. There are jobs, people do get them, and no doubt you will be one of them (hopefully soon).

It's the age factor. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Don't give up! - BrendaK

[ In Reply To ..]
You're doing everything *right*! I admire your courage, putting yourself out there. I know it's discouraging, but keep trying. The only way to get a door to open is to keep knocking, yes?

I recently applied to teach at a small college. sm - CrispyCritterMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 36 years experience as an MT and have taught medical transcription and terminology before back in the 90s at a vocational school. I got an interview (apparently by mistake) and 15 minutes into the interview I was asked if I had an associates degree. I don't, about 30 hours short. I was told I didn't qualify for the position then because I didn't have that piece of paper, but someone with it (any kind of degree, even in something not related) and 3 years of MT experience would qualify. Huh?! All my experience meant nothing. Talk about being demoralized.

I think it is a combination of age and over experienced. sm - backwards world

[ In Reply To ..]
They want the less experienced/cheaper pay employees. Next time perhaps knock off 20 years of your resume and see what happens.

LOL! I already did that! It was an hourly job, - wage scale was listed on the ad. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
The lowest being $18/hour, highest something like $25/hour. On their questionnaire, they asked what was the lowest hourly wage I'd accept, and I told them $18 (their lowest). Which of course would still be 3x my current pay at an MTSO!
Maybe the other potentials put down a lower amount. sm - backwards world
[ In Reply To ..]
I also think it is very easy to figure out someone's age now with Google and all the programs out there so I think that was probably your biggest hurdle and it is not limited to the MT world. Age discrimination is very high. Seems once you get around 40 no one will hire you and I also think it plays a part of insurance premiums because someone at 40 will use a lot more insurance generally than someone at 20.
I believe the group ins. co's. put pressure on the - employers not to hire mature employees. (OP)
[ In Reply To ..]
For me, 60 seemed to be the magic number. I had no problem finding a job at age 55, but beyond 60, (and in exactly the same good health), I'm starting to feel like a pariah.

And I still use my health ins. the same way a 20-year-old would: I rarely go to the doctor - only when I'm injured from doing sports like biking, skiing or rollerblading. I rarely get sick. And, I no longer need to use birth control, and can no longer become pregnant.

These employers aren't using their brains when they hire workers, they're likely following some insurance company's list of hiring guidelines, in order to get a better deal on their group insurance package.

All I can say is, these same hospitals that won't hire us will likely get stiffed on that next E.R. visit co-pay. Or else have to write our treatment off as a loss, if we're indigent and can't pay because we have no jobs and become homeless.

Teaching - degree

[ In Reply To ..]
Aw, don't feel bad. Back in the 90s it was not unusual to teach at a vocational school or community college w/o a formal degree. It has definitely changed, and I'm surprised all they are requiring is an associate's degree.

IMO, degrees will never match practical experience (and I have a B.S.), so it really is THEIR loss they did not utilize your great skills. :)

Oh MY! - Exactly the same experience

[ In Reply To ..]
I've gone on 2 interviews at my local hospital, and they apparently found people "better suited" for their needs. On both occasions, I wore a crisp business suit and polished heels and applied my makeup carefully. I arrived early. I did my best to demonstrate energy, a willingness to learn, a cooperative attitude, a friendly demeanor, an easy sense of humor, and smart efficiency. I asked intelligent questions when given the opportunity. I'm 60 years old. I'm healthy, too. I can be as flexible as they want and don't care about working odd shifts. I'm available to cover for the occasional scheduling crisis. I don't have young children who make demands, and I have reliable transportation.

I live in a small town where it seems like everyone is related (I moved here from a big city in search of Mayberry -- big mistake). When I don't get an offer, I feel persecuted and out of the loop. I'm sure they picked someone whose great-grand-daddy laid the cornerstone for the First Baptist Church and who married a homegrown boy whose ancestry can be traced back generations in the same freaking town. If I can just escape, I'll move to a city where there's a little genetic variety.

Here's the thing: As my father used to say, "You didn't get the job? GREAT! Now you're one step closer to the job you WILL get."

Don't give up! Yes, it's hard. Yes, it's embarrassing to be rejected. Even if they give you feedback, it may not be honest; in fact, they probably have a list of canned responses. Sometimes it may just be the right chemistry between the interviewer and applicant. You're going to find the right fit, but you have to keep trying.

I'm right there with ya, kiddo. If you're so inclined, you can email me.

I used to get that same letter about finding someone "better suited." - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Now I guess everyone thinks common courtesy is a thing of the past and didn't even get "the letter" after the last interview. I usually think it probably is best that I didn't land those job if they can't see past the nose on their face that I am more mature, have a great work ethic from working at home and have probably forgotten more than most new grads know. Three interviews, 2 letters and no response after 2 hours of my life I won't get back for the last interview process and sick to death of the canned questions they read off of a sheet asking about a difficult work situation I can remember and how I handled it. Wanna send a letter back saying "Give me a break, but I wish your company well with that better suited person you just hired." HMMM - wondereing lately about age discrimination. I also think they believe with our experience we will ask for the moon in salary (if they only knew what we have been being dwindled down to working at home - so perhaps they can get someone for less - and again, good luck with that.

I think age-discrimination is rampant throughout - the country, but its impossible - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to prove. It's also impossible to hide one's age anymore. I'm in my 60's, look 40, and yet as soon as they have my SS#, they've got my age.

I think it's odd that nowadays, with most of us former baby boomers facing a lifetime of working, with no hope in hell of retiring, that they think someone our age will retire in 2 or 3 years.

Also, we're aging a lot better than our parents did. We're healthier and more active. We're also more settled... we're not going to pull up stakes and follow our favorite rock band all over the country, like we might've done in our 20s. We're not going to be taking maternity leave anymore, either.

Sometimes I think a lot of the hospitals don't want MTSO employees, they want people currently working inhouse somewhere. What do you think?
MTSO employees - On site MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm 58 and don't want to work past 65, my body's tired after sitting in a chair and pounding a keyboard all my life, some people do retire. I don't want to hide my age, I am who I am. When you're 60, why would you want people to think you are 40, own your age. We're aging better than our parents but I look around my workplace at coworkers in other departments and also see the new hires. Compared to me, they're all babies. I'll admit it, I'm in good shape but they all move faster than me! I don't think that being an MTSO employee has anything to do with not getting hired. I work inhouse somewhere but have had trouble changing jobs. It's competitive, and people who are already on the payroll usually get chosen over outsiders. Sometimes employers want younger workers with less experience because some of us are perceived as being set in our ways. Our culture promotes the youth thing with nonsense that 60 is the new 40. Would that mean that 30 is the new 10? 60 is 60 and it always will be.
"60 always 60?" I don't agree. I have friends - in their 50s who still get carded. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
60 - On site MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You are missing the point; chronologically they are 60. Some people may be genetically blessed, undergo Botox, plastic surgery, whatever, but there is no altering that birth certificate. If you're 60 years old, that is your age, not 40, not 30, not 20. We can't turn back the clock, as much as we'd like to sometimes.

Been there, done that - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
My self-esteem was already in the dumpster and then to get turned down over and over was very hard, but it only took one perfect job to say yes and I am working in a clinic, way easier work, and about $6 more per hour. Hang in there, keep putting in those applications, and it WILL happen eventually. It took me about 2 years, but it was worth it. If it happened to me, it can most definitely happen to you also.

I truly understand...and at my last interview - MTgrandma

[ In Reply To ..]
the next "person" to interview was very young, wearing tight pants and a halter top, I wonder if she was the "better fit" for that job. If she was, then good luck to them, because I don't think work was the main reason she wanted to work in a hospital :)

You're not doing anything wrong, it's just the way things are now. - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
I know the rejection you are feeling. I've been working for an MTSO now a little over a month. I don't know if it will last. I'm going through the rejection anyway. I need a job very bad and would give anything to get back in-house but there isn't a lot of that anymore. I would really like to get out of transcription altogether but there aren't enough jobs here in this small city and you really have to be a friend of the person hiring or at least know them. I have had lots of rejection and know how you feel. Everyone tells me not to give up even though I wanted to. I'm telling you the same thing, don't give up. Good Luck!!!

I have a question for everyone... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
So many of us would LOVE to get back to an in-house hospital job if we could. I'm wondering: If you're in the mid-50s to 60-ish age group, would you be willing or able to work 2nd or 3rd shift and a weekend night to get back in with a hospital?

That schedule seems to be the only thing I've been able to find, but I was hesitant to work those hours because I start to fade a little, that late in the evening (the 2nd shift job wanted me working 'til 11:30 p.m. or midnight); and my hubby works Mon-Fri days, so we'd have very little time together. BUT, I'm starting to have second thoughts about taking that schedule if it comes open again.

I certainly don't want to sacrifice "life" for a job, but earning some money is starting to sound really good, too! LOL. We can keep our heads above water without my income, but we're living with a pretty tight budget....no frills. Just wondering what some of you would do if 2nd/3rd shift was your option?

I already work 2nd shift. Actually it's a late - (sm) - Job Huntress

[ In Reply To ..]
2nd shift, because I often have to work well beyond 11:30, and into the wee hours in order to keep up a line count with all the NJA and transcription "clunk-ware" we have to deal with.

I already work one weekend day as part of my schedule. The only day I refuse to work is Sunday. That's MY day, for me and no one else!

I used to be a morning person, used to start as early as 6:30 a.m. Since joining an MTSO, I've had to adapt to becoming a night person because out here on the West Coast, the work often doesn't pick up until the East-Coast MTs start logging off for the evening.

I've found I'm usually more productive at night, mainly because of far fewer distractions and interruptions. I used to get a shift differential for working the 2nd (swing) shift, but my cheap company did away with that a few years ago.

Whatever hours I do work, I'm just SO done with this stupid MTSO con-game. I'd gladly work less-desirable hours or days, and have to face a commute, if I could go back to working a traditional 40-hour week instead of 60-70 hours. And to be able to walk out the door once the shift is done, and have the remainder of my time to MYSELF, to do what I want to do.
Job Huntress... - (please SM)
[ In Reply To ..]
I see your point, Job Huntress....and yeah--late hours and commuting certainly sound like a decent trade-off compared to what we've had to do to accommodate some of these MTSOs!

Second shift truthfully fits better with my own personal body clock. If I didn't have a spouse who I actually still like and want to spend time with (LOL), 2nd shift hours could be perfect for me. Of course, staying up late reading or watching TV is a little different than staying focused on transcription, but I could adjust! VR editing is what nearly puts me to sleep if I do it too late into the night.

One other downside, though, is that the hospital is in a pretty rough neighborhood, so leaving in the dead of night isn't the most appealing thought. They do have security and will even accompany you to your car if you request it (though a lot of people don't want to hang around waiting for Security to come meet them when their shift is over), but if I had a flat tire or car trouble on the way home....well, that's a bit of a consideration. Sometimes, your fellow drivers are a little scary at midnight! I could call my husband to come help, but he's an early-to-bed kind of guy. I know--it's not very likely to happen (or at least not very often), and maybe joining AAA would bring some peace of mind.

Comments, suggestions from in-house lead. (sm) - CMT leavin da biz

[ In Reply To ..]
The person who commented above about the manager already having someone in mind for a posted position is correct. It's likely that someone who is working another shift, part-time, or p.r.n. is just playing "musical chairs," but by law HR is required to post the job.

Please don't take it as a poor reflection of your skills. I can see that your writing and grammar skills are excellent.

To get your foot in the door, your best bet is to apply for a swing/weekend shift. Every MT department is desperate for those. In fact, when I took such a job myself, the position had been vacant for 1-1/2 years, with no bites. I was the only applicant... in 18 months! (And I live in a city, not a rural outpost.) At the very least, take on a p.r.n. position, when it becomes available. You will be called mostly for, you guessed it, swing and weekend hours, so you could still work for your present MTSO.

Once you have shown the manager you are a good, productive, and reliable MT, you can then play "musical chairs" when something better comes up.

You might be considered overqualified for this, but it's worth a shot: Another route would be to take an MT clerk position and tell the boss you can transcribe for her on the weekend, once you've finished up your other tasks. She'll do it. MT managers everywhere are desperate for weekend/swing/graves help.

I would then use your newfound stability and increased salary to catch your breath for a minute and then begin school to go do something else. :o) Or, better yet, most hospitals will reimburse your tuition if the job you're training for is healthcare related.

Similar Messages:

Who Knew?
Jul 15, 2010

x ...

I Wish I Knew Why . . .
Mar 10, 2013

there are 74 late jobs in my area, yet I sit here with NJA.  It just doesn't make sense :( ...

I JUST KNEW IT!
Dec 24, 2013

File it under Damned if you do.... Yesterday I had a report where they mention THORACENTESIS twice.... but... hmmm... poor quality, can they be saying PLEUROCENTESIS? So, like an idiot I look up old reports from this patient and there, in both old reports it says THORACENTESIS so that's what I went with.... Waiting for me in this mornings EMAIL....DING, DING... ...

QC Audits I Never Knew About
Oct 14, 2009

Okay, I may be the last one to know this, but I thought the only QC audits I was getting were the ones showing up on the DQM QA Feedback screen where it says (1 unread) or (how many ever unread). When you click on them, if the report has been audited by your QC, it will have a percentage score.  But that's just for the reports you sent in with a blank. To see the ones randomly selected and audited, you have to use the QA Feedback Search feature and put in a date range. For example, I j ...

I Knew It Would Happen
Nov 25, 2009

I knew that sooner or later one of these Indian ESLs would revert back into speaking in their own tongue.  I suspected that before but it was just their way of speaking English.  I couldn't believe it when this guy today, midsentence, started talking in his Indian dialect.  He laughed at himself, embarassed, then continued in English.  I didn't find it funny. ...

I Wish We Knew How Many, If Any, Were Desperate Enough
Sep 10, 2014

d ...

MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION AS WE ONCE KNEW IT
Dec 28, 2010

I have been looking at different boards and needed to post some answers to a few questions I read.    TRANSCRIPTION AS WE OR AS MOST OF US KNEW IT APPEARS TO BE GONE.  ONE DOES NOT NEED TO LOOK FAR TO SEE THE ATTEMPTS TO SELL COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL MTS A "BILL OF GOODS" OR ---- IN OUR FACES AND TELL US IT IS RAINING. YES OSI OUTSOURCES AND HAS FOR MANY YEARS.  TWO YEARS AGO WHEN SOME OF US WHO WORKED AT OSI ASKED ABOUT IT--WE WERE LIED TO BY THE COORDINATOR SAYING, "W ...

Oh Me, I Wish I Knew Who Decides Which Physicians To Put On
Jan 24, 2012

VR and which ones not to.  I'm very rapidly beginning to remember why I wasn't particularly fond of VR.  ...

I Knew It. Our First HIPPA Lawsuit! Could Effect MT's.
Jan 26, 2010

I have GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS SWEAT SHOP SO CALLED PROFESSION!! Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal filed the lawsuit on January 12, 2010. In the complaint, Blumenthal alleges that last May a portable disk drive containing Personal Health Information (PHI), social security numbers, and bank account numbers from about 1.5 million customers disappeared while in transit between Connecticut and California. The company did not inform any gover ...

Any Experience Or Knew Anything About InScribe?
Mar 09, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or knew anything about InScribe? Is it a good company to work for? For the past month, I have been contacted a couple of times saying I would either be sent information about openings and also that someone would be calling me to help me get started, and neither one has happened. Is  this typical?    ...

Well, I Knew It Would Happen...This Job Is Literally A Pain...
Apr 19, 2012

I have noticed that my right index finger is a little bigger than the left, feeling a little tender, not real painful yet.  I measured them and sure enough it IS bigger.  Great, does this mean I'm getting arthritis or something?  In my late 40s--am I old enough for this?  Probably.   I just hope this doesn't get any worse.  I'll be in big trouble.   I had to drop my medical insurance.  And if I can't work, I don't know w ...

Never Knew Columbus Day Was Such A Major Holiday
Oct 12, 2013

Did all the docs go out of town for the big Columbus Day celebrations? ...

I Knew It Would Happen To Me Sooner Or Later…
Feb 01, 2012

I just need to vent…. I’ve been working part time as an IC for a hospital in the Midwest for about 10 months now. They actually found my resume online and contacted me.   I was already working 2 other part time jobs which really took up a lot of my time, but of course, not much money involved, so I decided to take it.    I did all the training and caught on very quickly.  In the beginning, I was able to work whenever I wanted since work was plentiful. ...

What's Wrong With Me??
May 12, 2010

I just got offered a new job with a local transcription company. I'll be making more money, no set hours, get the work done when I want to get it done as long as it is done by the next day.  The interviewer actually looked at me confused saying "if you are getting paid by productivity, why do you have set hours to work?" I had no answer.....anyhoo, the only draw back is that I have to purchase my own equipment....why am I still hesitant to leave MQ? My only explanation I have is after ...

Here's How I Know Something Is Wrong......
Oct 06, 2010

Okay, so I finally actually got an hour's worth of my "primary" - an account I know like the back of my hand....In the past, I KNOW after working so many years on this account almost EXACTLY how  much I can make in 1 full hour of working nonstop, no interruptions, etc.... So, I did the same hour, same account, and in the past I made about 10 bux more per hour doing this same work.  So something is fishy.  It can't be ALL because of the new DQS 6.1 issues.......I can ...

What Did I Do Wrong?
Dec 19, 2010

I am a new grad and had a phone screen with MedQuist last week. They seemed all gung-ho about hiring me until the phone screen. After that I got an email that said my background did not match their needs. I'm wondering what I did to change things. The only thing I can think of is that I said part time. Maybe they wanted me to say full time??? I am really in need of a job-any job. I was thinking they were going to be my best luck. Now I'm really worried I won't find anything soon ...

What Is Wrong With Me
Jul 09, 2011

I really need feedback on this.  I have been an MT for over 25 years.  I am still pretty young (middle age).  I have nothing wrong with me physically or mentally. Yet, I hate my job!  I have a job with a bigger MTSO, but I am getting less and less in my pay b/c my main account runs out of work often and I get the secondary which is not easy on demographics, and has bad dictators.  This is a job which is an employee job and it looks like my pay is decreasing weekly a ...

I Was So Wrong
Aug 12, 2011

Months ago when I first started researching this line of work I found myself on this forum, and a few others, and I was somewhat put off by the widely negative view of the profession. There was so much complaining about how difficult it was, how meager the compensation is, etc. I thought so many of you were just being pessimistic- to put it politely. I thought to myself, "It's just sitting here typing all day. I do that already! How cool would it be to get payed for it!" And today? Today I ...

Maybe Im Doing Something Wrong,,,am I The Only One?
Nov 20, 2011

OK..So a doctor dictates something, usually it is initials for something like I just had OU tele unit,,what the heck is that??  So me I go searching because I always like to verify things I know I heard them say but personally have never heard of it..That goes for everything drug names, conditions, etc.  Should I just be typing exactly what they say and to heck with it if it is wrong?  Kind of like one boss from an old company said garbage in garbage out??  Im a perfectionist ...

Does This Seem Wrong To You?
Dec 13, 2011

I am currently per-diem with a company that requires per-diems to work 2 holidays a year and we have to phone in to beg for work (0.7 cpl) BUT we are not included in any bonuses or the holiday gift card because we are only per-diems.  We make money for the company and are reimbursed at a pauper's rate with no other benefits but we aren't even included in a tiny holiday gift card.  Feels like a huge slap in the face.  Is it even legal to require a "per-diem" with no guara ...

This Is Just Wrong
Dec 13, 2011

So, I lost my job. First, they went AWOL for 4 work days. I sat at my computer for 8 hours every one of those days, no work, nobody answering me. Finally, they called and said they were terminating employment due to "low line counts".   I found that funny since my line counts improved since the first month of employment, and at my lowest line count during that time, they gave me a raise and said how great I was doing. It was only after I told them to pay me minimum wage that they suddenly ...

I Am NOT WRONG
Mar 01, 2012

First of all, at least 95% of the management that runs KS is ALL family. For being there 9 years, you better check more of your facts, as I know for a fact that there are cousins, nieces, sister-in-law, sisters, brother-in-law, just off the top of my head. If you knew what you were looking for, you CAN find out how much they make. Maybe you should try polishing up your research skills. You can say what you want, but I know better. People can choose to believe me or not believe me; that ...

This Is So Wrong.
Apr 04, 2013

Instead of asking the part-timers if they would like to be full-time, they fire them?  Yet, there are still openings for new hires?  There is nothing about this that has the ring of truth.   My sympathies to all of you today.   ...

What Am I Doing Wrong?
Dec 28, 2013

Hello, Let me start by telling my fellow MTs what I am doing. Please point me in right direction, because I can't figure out where I have gone wrong. My job is ending as the small company I work for doesn't have enough work.  I don't have unemployment as a backup since I have been subcontracting clinic work for the past 4 years. This has been my only MT job. I am limited on what I have applied for because I have no acute care experience, only clinic transcription.  I ...

How Can MM ASR Be So Wrong?!!?
May 30, 2014

Dictated: Positive diarrhea. Ouptut: No constipation. Huh???? It already can't get preoperative ands postoperative diagnosis correct, and number recognition is worse than ever. What the heck?? Of course, add to that the added text that was never dictated, the omission of clearly spoken text and making headings randomly. And supposedly the software will learn "if we all get on the same page" (to quote a certain QAM). A mantra that wants to make me scream as the proof tha ...

What's Wrong With TTS?
Oct 06, 2014

All the complaints and dislikes for TTS?  I honestly want to know as I am considering applying with them.  For those of you who like it there can you tell me what it is you like about it?  What's the pay like, workload etc.  Are they flexible with scheduling?  What are the benefits like?  Are benefits affordable?   Thanks! ...

What Is Wrong With These People?
Jun 11, 2010

A 7-year-old boy was murdered by the Taliban in an apparent act of retribution this week. Afghan officials said that the child was accused of spying for U.S. and NATO forces and hanged from a tree in southern Afghanistan. Daoud Ahmadi, the spokesman for the provincial governor of Helmand, said that the killing happened days after the boy's grandfather, Abdul Woodod Alokozai, spoke out against militants in their home village. Ahmadi said: "His grandfather is a tribal elder in the village a ...

Found Out What's Is Wrong With (at Least Some) Of Us.
Aug 01, 2010

In my quest to improve SOMETHING, I stumbled across "job burnout."  I think it is my problem and wanted to share. "A strong signal that the burnout victim is sliding into an existential crisis of meaninglessness is evident when the person's statements about work are cloaked with a "so what?" or "why bother?" attitude. This is particularly striking among burnout victims who were once very enthusiastic and dedicated." There is some very good information and might be helpful.  At ...

What's Wrong With This Picture?
Jun 30, 2011

I just can't understand it.  For the past 2 weeks my line counts have been slowly dropping below the 1200 daily quota.  Feeling the need to make up some lines, I crammed the work yesterday, going as fast as I can, still maintaining quality, proof reading each document, etc.  I was excited to see how much I did.  A measly 1400 lines.  What the?  It was about 1/3 straight typing, 2/3 ASR.  Even when on 100% straight typing I used to do 200+ lines p ...

Is It Wrong To Ask The Pay Rate?
Sep 06, 2011

I've recently been contacted to test with a company and was told what they pay during their training period but not once you are released to send work directly to the client.  Upon asking (for a low/high range) I was told I have to test first.  I've been this route before only to have wasted my time being offered something like 6 or 7 cpl for an IC position.  Am I really out of line wanting to know what I might be getting into before taking the time to test? ...