A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I knew it would happen to me sooner or later⦠- JustAnotherMT

Posted: Feb 01, 2012

I just need to vent….

I’ve been working part time as an IC for a hospital in the Midwest for about 10 months now. They actually found my resume online and contacted me.   I was already working 2 other part time jobs which really took up a lot of my time, but of course, not much money involved, so I decided to take it.    I did all the training and caught on very quickly.  In the beginning, I was able to work whenever I wanted since work was plentiful. Then they started hiring more and more transcriptionists and work was not plentiful.  Then I was given specific days/hours to work. I was always on the schedule both Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 8pm and I was given one week night from 5 to 10, where I only had about 6 reports to type.  I was scheduled to work EVERY holiday (even the Eves) from 8am to 8pm and I NEVER once complained. 

The schedule for this month already has me on the schedule every Thursday night and every weekend, both days.  I just got an email that I am now to work on as “as needed” basis but must remain available for the days that I am scheduled “just in case”.  So I assume they want me sitting by my computer waiting for that email to come through if they need me. 

I even went back to college a few years ago. I took Medical Billing, ICD-9, Medical Management Office procedure courses….I did very well and have all the necessary certificates, etc, and I can’t even get a good job because I have no experience in those fields.  ARRRGH !! 

If you are an IC, they CANNOT legally require a set schedule. sm - JustSayNO

[ In Reply To ..]
It's illegal, plain and simple.

except it's not illegal - ICMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It's NOT, I repeat NOT, illegal for someone to have you follow a schedule and you be a contractor.

To the OP-- What does your CONTRACT state? If you are a contractor, you should have provided THEM with a contract which states your availability, premium rates for weekends, etc.

Sounds to me like they are hiring employees and they are being given preference.

I'd make up a contract and give it to them to sign. What's the worst that could happen, they'd take you off the schedule?

MTSO's are ILLEGALLY hiring IC's and having..sm - whistle blower

[ In Reply To ..]
the same control over how and when the work is done as an "employer" would and not paying taxes. Most of the small MTSO's don't get caught, but some do, and more and more medium and larger MTSO's have been fined and now only hire employees who they can have absolute control over.

Common-Law Rules

To determine whether an individual is an employee or an independent contractor under the common law, the relationship of the worker and the business must be examined. In any employee-independent contractor determination, all information that provides evidence of the degree of control and the degree of independence must be considered.

Facts that provide evidence of the degree of control and independence fall into three categories: behavioral control, financial control, and the type of relationship of the parties. These facts are discussed below.

Behavioral control. Facts that show whether the business has a right to direct and control how the worker does the task for which the worker is hired include the type and degree of:
Instructions that the business gives to the worker. An employee is generally subject to the business' instructions about when, where, and how to work. All of the following are examples of types of instructions about how to do work.
When and where to do the work.

What tools or equipment to use.

What workers to hire or to assist with the work.

Where to purchase supplies and services.

What work must be performed by a specified individual.

What order or sequence to follow.

There have been DOL funds in the federal budget for the past year to track down companies who misclassify their workers. More light has been shown on the subject with the high unemployment numbers and people who thought they were not eligible for benefits finding out that they actually were because of misclassification by their "employer".

http://washlaborwire.com/?s=independent+contractor

YES it IS ! ! Repeatedly saying it does not - make it true. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Full-time IC is an oxymoron. - No such thing. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

not illegal - IC no more

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not illegal for an employer to state what hours coverage is needed on what days. If the "IC" is working a schedule - that is her choice. Here is what we need - take it or leave it.

Here is a link to an MT Stars thread from...sm - VTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
two years ago when this same subject was being discussed. It doesn't look like anything has changed since then.

http://forum.mtstars.com/225872.html

IC Talk - JC

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, sure, you can set a schedule for yourself, but they don't have to accept it.

Let's say you want some work done on your house, and the worker is an IC. You tell them that they must be there by 8 a.m. so you can let them in before you leave for the day. The IC doesn't want to start work (or can't) until 10 a.m. The IC can say "yes" or "no" to the job, right?

If you hire someone to work full time on your house...sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
with an unlimited amount of time specified you are an employee.

Simply untrue - ICMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I sure wish people would educate themselves on what being an INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR means BEFORE they put themselves in the position of being one or advising someone.

You seriously need to speak to a - Labor Attorney. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Speak to a labor attorney - ICMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I do, several times a day. I'm married to one.
Ha! MTSO maybe? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you could have him read this and report back? - confused
[ In Reply To ..]
Update..... - JustAnotherMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I just want to thank everyone for their input. I have been tearing my place apart looking for my contract. I just moved a little over 2 weeks ago. It was a forced move. I was renting an apartment in a two family home (absentee landlord), when we were informed that the home was foreclosed. The landlord, bless his little heart, hadn't paid the mortgage in about 3 years and it finally caught up with him. He was collecting the rents, but pocketing the money. Trying to find a place to live while working and packing is not easy when you're just ONE person. So, needless to say, I'm living in a disaster right now. I just threw stuff in boxes without labeling anything, hired two guys and a truck and off I went. I do know that my contract was signed in April 2011 and it ran for a year. I was supposed to work this weekend, but only if I received an email to do so. And of course, there was no email, but I still had to stick around and wait. I know tomorrow will be a repeat performance of today. It's just so frustrating when loyality and reliability gets you a kick in the hiney.

Similar Messages:

At The End Of My Ropeâ¦.
Aug 15, 2012

Just venting……..I am so bummed.  I was doing so well a couple of years ago.  I was working as a Radiology Transcriptionist for six years for a very, very large radiology facility, two days in the office and the rest of the week from home in the evenings.  Then they went to VR, but kept me on because the some of the docs were not complying with VR so those reports had to be typed and in addition I was doing editing.  I was making good money and was able to put aw ...

RE: Yes The Archives Are Chalk⦠And
Apr 25, 2012

"…  you suggest we dont go to work and what?????" Yes, don't go to work!  You must answer the "… and what?????" part of the question you ask.  I have made multiple posts with multiple suggestions on what each individual can do.  Those actions can include your suggestion of "lay on my couch?"  if you so desire, although that will not be as effective as say participating in your local May 1st activities.  See this link for more info on th ...

Looking For Peace And Way To Pay Rent ⦠HELP ME PLEASE:)
Jul 30, 2013

Hey out there!! I know, I know, asked and answered many times, BUT, does ANYONE know of a great co.with straight typing, where headers count, where a person can make a great line count like they used to? Does anyone want to earn a sign on bonus?? (That is of course if your co. offers one.) Does such a place exist?? Come in MT sisters, help a gal outð I would love to pay my rent and have more than $10 to spread out for 2 weeksð° Thanks for your help!!! ...

Just Started On M*Modal. Can't Imagineâ¦sm
Nov 10, 2011

I can't seem to get used to this platform.  I can't imagine how I'm going to make my daily line requirement, let alone ever get very fast on it.  Any tips from the experienced users of M*Modal?  ...

Watching Undercover Bossâ¦
May 20, 2014

… something like that to happen to MTs (yeah, I know it will never happen, but I can dream can't I)! ...

TRANSCRIPTION CHALLENGES IN A TECHNOLOGICAL NUTSHELLâ¦
Aug 28, 2013

Transcription is becoming a lost art.  With the arrival of voice/speech recognition software, which captures sounds and “magically” turns them into words (albeit not always the correct ones), the specialty field of transcription has become an endangered livelihood.  Unfortunately, forgotten along the way are the skills and talents a good transcriptionist possesses to make a document accurate and easily readable.  The bottom line, as with most things, is the Almighty Do ...

I Knew It Would Happen
Nov 25, 2009

I knew that sooner or later one of these Indian ESLs would revert back into speaking in their own tongue.  I suspected that before but it was just their way of speaking English.  I couldn't believe it when this guy today, midsentence, started talking in his Indian dialect.  He laughed at himself, embarassed, then continued in English.  I didn't find it funny. ...

Well, I Knew It Would Happen...This Job Is Literally A Pain...
Apr 19, 2012

I have noticed that my right index finger is a little bigger than the left, feeling a little tender, not real painful yet.  I measured them and sure enough it IS bigger.  Great, does this mean I'm getting arthritis or something?  In my late 40s--am I old enough for this?  Probably.   I just hope this doesn't get any worse.  I'll be in big trouble.   I had to drop my medical insurance.  And if I can't work, I don't know w ...

Patrickâs, Gaenslenâs And 'Somasâ Tests Were Negative.
Dec 16, 2013

I cannot find Somas' anywhere.  Anyone know this one? ...

The Sky Is Falling â College Closes Medical Transcription Program â MTSO Cut Out As
Nov 05, 2010

The sky is falling !!! Anyone else see this?  Is this an aberration or a portent of the direction Medical Transcription is heading?    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 College ends medical transcription program Recently Delhi University announced its Medical Transcription Program, for the first time, was producing better transcriptionists in India including South Asia.  In the meantime, San Juan College is closing its Medical Transcription Program stating that there is les ...

Her Arms And Legs Are Likewise Very Thin And Almost S/l âkakesicâ. Any Help Would Be
Sep 28, 2011

âexcitingâ News In The Link Today
May 15, 2014

Hasn’t anyone read their emails and seen the “exciting” news in the Link today??  “….new compensation structure to be simple to understand, transparent, competitive, to be effective around 10/1….”  Translate:Simple to understand = unable to be calculated by MT Transparent = we all make the same regardless of experience Competitive = MTSOs battle each other to pay the lowest rates Sounds like another pay cut is in the work ...

âvigorous Pinprickâ To The Face?
Apr 04, 2013

Does “vigorous pinprick” to the face sound correct to you?  I’m imagining the doc stabbing needles into the patient's face. "Cranial Nerve V:  She reports no facial sensation other than in her forehead, though with vigorous (s/l pimpering), she does flinch but says she still does not feel it." ...

I May Be Leaving This Job Way Sooner Than I Figured....sm
Sep 14, 2013

Several things have happened in the last 6 to 8 weeks or so where my accounts are concerned.  First, my primary account was changed to basically a secondary and the worst of the worst accounts (which happened to be like #4 in my list/queue) was moved to the #1 slot.  It didn't take me 2 weeks to realize that I was going to have a nervous breakdown if I had to continually do this particular account ALL of the time (and I do mean ALL of the time) because pretty much no one else is w ...

Toxiblay Confirmed As "âetat Cribleâ"
Mar 27, 2013

rad filled in word etat crible pronounced atociblay ...

What Happened To An Honest Dayâs Work For An Honest Dayâs Pay
Jul 29, 2010

It is amazing that more people are not committing suicide.  I guess that goes to the underlying optimism that human beings are inherently born with.   We always think there is good in all people and that we will be protected from evil.   But, what happened to an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay?  Every day there are posts about people working hard for their paltry wages, only to be paid late or not paid at all.  We cannot even apply for a job ...

Who Knew?
Jul 15, 2010

x ...

I Wish I Knew Why . . .
Mar 10, 2013

there are 74 late jobs in my area, yet I sit here with NJA.  It just doesn't make sense :( ...

I JUST KNEW IT!
Dec 24, 2013

File it under Damned if you do.... Yesterday I had a report where they mention THORACENTESIS twice.... but... hmmm... poor quality, can they be saying PLEUROCENTESIS? So, like an idiot I look up old reports from this patient and there, in both old reports it says THORACENTESIS so that's what I went with.... Waiting for me in this mornings EMAIL....DING, DING... ...

QC Audits I Never Knew About
Oct 14, 2009

Okay, I may be the last one to know this, but I thought the only QC audits I was getting were the ones showing up on the DQM QA Feedback screen where it says (1 unread) or (how many ever unread). When you click on them, if the report has been audited by your QC, it will have a percentage score.  But that's just for the reports you sent in with a blank. To see the ones randomly selected and audited, you have to use the QA Feedback Search feature and put in a date range. For example, I j ...

I Wish We Knew How Many, If Any, Were Desperate Enough
Sep 10, 2014

d ...

MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION AS WE ONCE KNEW IT
Dec 28, 2010

I have been looking at different boards and needed to post some answers to a few questions I read.    TRANSCRIPTION AS WE OR AS MOST OF US KNEW IT APPEARS TO BE GONE.  ONE DOES NOT NEED TO LOOK FAR TO SEE THE ATTEMPTS TO SELL COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL MTS A "BILL OF GOODS" OR ---- IN OUR FACES AND TELL US IT IS RAINING. YES OSI OUTSOURCES AND HAS FOR MANY YEARS.  TWO YEARS AGO WHEN SOME OF US WHO WORKED AT OSI ASKED ABOUT IT--WE WERE LIED TO BY THE COORDINATOR SAYING, "W ...

Oh Me, I Wish I Knew Who Decides Which Physicians To Put On
Jan 24, 2012

VR and which ones not to.  I'm very rapidly beginning to remember why I wasn't particularly fond of VR.  ...

I Sure Wish I Knew What It Is I'm Dong Wrong!!!!!!!
Jun 26, 2012

I've been applying only to in house positions for hospitals and clinics.  I refuse to work for any more MTSOs.  The job ads that occasionally come up that are close enough to commute to are few and far between.  In the last 4 years I've applied to quite a few of them, 3 since January this year. It's always the same old story:  "The job is filled" is what I'm always told.  Even for those 3 that granted me in-person interviews this year, it's alw ...

I Knew It. Our First HIPPA Lawsuit! Could Effect MT's.
Jan 26, 2010

I have GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS SWEAT SHOP SO CALLED PROFESSION!! Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal filed the lawsuit on January 12, 2010. In the complaint, Blumenthal alleges that last May a portable disk drive containing Personal Health Information (PHI), social security numbers, and bank account numbers from about 1.5 million customers disappeared while in transit between Connecticut and California. The company did not inform any gover ...

Any Experience Or Knew Anything About InScribe?
Mar 09, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or knew anything about InScribe? Is it a good company to work for? For the past month, I have been contacted a couple of times saying I would either be sent information about openings and also that someone would be calling me to help me get started, and neither one has happened. Is  this typical?    ...

Never Knew Columbus Day Was Such A Major Holiday
Oct 12, 2013

Did all the docs go out of town for the big Columbus Day celebrations? ...

Hauâoli Makahiki Hou
Dec 31, 2009

To all my MQ and MT Stars friends, may this year and this decade be better than the last.  May you and your families be richly blessed this new year. ...

Has Anyone Ever Had This Happen?
Apr 01, 2010

Pass your transcription test and have the recruiter say that she will call you at a certain time for an interview and then never call? ...

Has Anyone Had This Happen.....
Nov 12, 2010

Hi, don't know if this is the right place to ask, but two mornings in a row, I have received this in my Hotmail "junk" mail box.  It says "Private Notice" and the subject line says "YOU'RE DEAD."  Of course I haven't opened these and sent them directly to "delete."  Does anyone know if there's a new virus or worm or something going around like this?  Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?  I've googled and checked Norton and McAfe ...