A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION AS WE ONCE KNEW IT - AMERICAN GREED

Posted: Dec 28, 2010

I have been looking at different boards and needed to post some answers to a few questions I read. 

TRANSCRIPTION AS WE OR AS MOST OF US KNEW IT APPEARS TO BE GONE.  ONE DOES NOT NEED TO LOOK FAR TO SEE THE ATTEMPTS TO SELL COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL MTS A "BILL OF GOODS" OR ---- IN OUR FACES AND TELL US IT IS RAINING.

YES OSI OUTSOURCES AND HAS FOR MANY YEARS.  TWO YEARS AGO WHEN SOME OF US WHO WORKED AT OSI ASKED ABOUT IT--WE WERE LIED TO BY THE COORDINATOR SAYING, "WE HAD TO TO GET THE ACCOUNT"!.  GET REAL, WHAT WARM-BLOODED AMERICAN IS GOING TO TELL OSI OR ANY COMPANY IN ORDER TO HAVE MY WORK YOU MUST SEND IT OVERSEAS, (INDIAN OR ASIAN COUNTRY) HAVE IT MESSED UP AND THEN HAVE AMERICAN TRANSCRIPTIONISTS (WHO USE MY MEDICAL EXPERTISE AND PAY FOR MY SERVICES) FIX THE WORK AND PAY THEM SO LITTLE THEY CAN'T PAY FOR MY SERVICES. 

OSI IS NOW OWNED BY NUANCE (A FIRM WHOSE PRINCIPALS AND PRINCIPLES ARE PRIMARILY NONAMERICAN) EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT.

ENCOMPASS IS ALSO OWNED BY NUANCE. 

HIPPA IS A JOKE!! OSI, NOW NUANCE, IS DOING TRANSCRIPTION (BY ITS INDIAN TRANSCRIPTIONISTS) OF VA HOSPITALS UNDER AN UMBRELLA CALLED GENESIS EVEN THOUGH THAT WORK IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SENT OUT OF THE COUNTRY.  LIES CONTINUE AND THEY SAY THE WORK IS DONE ON U.S. SOIL! 

THE AMERICAN GREED (OR MOSTLY FOREIGN GREED) IS RIDICULOUS!  IF JOBS ARE GOING TO KEEP GOING OVERSEAS THEN THOSE COMPANIES SHOULD BE TAXED AT A 50% HIGHER RATE.  (I THINK IT IS ONLY FAIR, IF WE HAVE TO NOT EARN A LIVING, THEN THEY SHOULD PAY MORE FOR CRIPPLING THE ECONOMY HERE NOW).  IF THEY CAN'T PAY THEY SHOULD BE FORCED TO MOVE THEIR OPERATIONS TO THEIR CHOSEN OVERSEAS COUNTRY AND SEE HOW MANY PHYSICIANS, CLINICS, AND HOSPITALS WILL DO BUSINESS WITH THEM). 

HAVE WE ALL NOT DEALT WITH VOYNAGE (IN PARTICULAR) AND ATT, HP, AND OTHERS WITH THEIR FOREIGN TECHNICIANS AND NASTY ATTITUDES.  WE NEED TO BOYCOT SOME COMPANES UNTIL THEY BRING THE JOBS BACK HERE.  EVENTUALLY ALL CALL CENTERS WILL BE ANSWERED BY AN INDIAN OR ASIAN CALL CENTER AND AMERICAN WORKERS WILL BE PAID EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE PAID OR LESS.

WE NEED TO PUT TOGETHER A MARCH TO WASHINGTON (LIKE THE BLACK AMERICANS DID WITH THE MILLION MAN MARCH) AND TRY TO FORCE SOME CHANGES.

WE LIVE HERE, ARE AMERICAN CITIZENS, AND WE DESERVE TO EARN A LIVING HERE!!!

PLEASE I BESEEECH THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE SICK OF THE LIES, LET'S ORGANIZE AN EFFORT TO TURN THIS CRAP AROUND!

******  THEIR IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS.  WE JUST NEED TO GET A PLAN AND EXECUTE IT!!!!  GOD BLESS ALL OF US! 

Does that just apply to MT or - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
everything else in this country that comes from a foreign nation like clothing, cars, computers, TVs, etc.?

Take a breath - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
because all that anger is going to create health issues for you.

A "global" economy is a reality. You can march on Washington and it will have as much effect as if you walked around your livingroom, so I would say just opt first for the livingroom, it's closer and warmer.

You speak of American greed and you are right that has negatively impacted MT, but then there was ALSO the greed of the MT. While some fancy themselves Lords and Ladies of Word and feel that should come with a hefty price tag, I never felt that way. I, like everyone else, LOVED being able to charge a fee higher than was warranted but one the market would bear, and I smiled all the way to the bank.

And then times changed-- for everyone, not just MTs. Many employers ARE paying way too low wages and MTs have to refuse those jobs. If they don't, then the market will once again be dictating the price of MT services.

But you're not ever going to stop offshore transcription being done. It's a factor in our reality. Better to spend time trying to figure out how to make it work for us, rather than screams of unions (which would be useless), or marches on Washington, or letters to senators, etc.

Do you not think the legal departments of OSI and MQ and all the other services who offshore have not written their contracts in such a way as to have themselves protected? Many could argue the work product never leaves the US, if the servers in which the work is done are located in Atlanta, Georgia, can they?

This issue is so layered and still banked on what the market dictates (and hence what MTSOs then can charge and pay), that MTs are really just banging their collective heads on walls trying to fight it. The time to fight it was 10-11 years ago, now that window has closed.

There is a site on the VA where you can file an anonymous complaint. - SignMeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you should send as much valid information about these companies skirting the "no offshoring" issue in their contract with the VA to them. I personally don't think they will overlook this without at least investigating this breach of contract. It really is an issue that is taken quite seriously by the VA.

VA account - bmc

[ In Reply To ..]
As a VA employee I know for a fact that transcription is NOT to be offshored. If the work is indeed offshored, the contracting officer needs to know that. May I ask which VISN this is happening in?

Thanks for taking the time for a sensible response. NM - anon NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

thar she blows. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

It's over. No going back. - Learn a new career. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

med trans as we knew it - OldHandAtThis

[ In Reply To ..]

Relax a little; I really truly think this outsourcing thing is going to come to an end.  The problem lies not only in the (sometimes) lack of knowledge of medical terminology but also the lack (always) of understanding of American idioms/slang/colloquialisms, which can utterly change the meaning of the report.  There is a breaking point and I think it is being reached. 

Here is an example of the kind of thing (as an editor) that I am talking about:

The doctor said:  "Be that as it may, the patient should undergo . . . "

The Filipino MT transcribed this:  "In May, the patient will undergo . . ."

This particular hospital, by the way, has terminated the contract with the outsourcing service and is now taking control of its transcription and is hiring MTs directly.  There was finally just one too many doctors complaining and threatening to go elsewhere. 

I think a number of hospitals who have been outsourcing are realizing how important an accurate medical record really is, and how dangerous it is for the patient if it is not, and moving toward taking control again because of all the errors and the potential liability of the hospital (not to mention loss of accreditation) which far exceeds any short term cost savings.

That being said, I would still consider getting into something else if that option is available to you.  Personally, I'm nearing retirement and my intention is just to coast for now, but if I were 10 years younger, I would definitely do something else.

RU SURE - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I interviewed with them and was told there was no offshoring - the company is owned by a disabled vet. Are you sure of your facts about this particular "umbrella" since it is VA? Just wondering, because I specifically asked if they offshore their work to India, etc and was told very firmly "No Maam."

American Greed - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
You might want to find a map to locate India (Indian or Asian country?). Typing in all caps means that you are SHOUTING and is inappropriate for posting on a message board.

Anonymous - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Shouting? Please - did you suddenly make up the rules for this board?

No, she didn't. It's called etiquette and is observed on every forum. (nm) - anony2

[ In Reply To ..]

TYPING IN CAPS - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
All caps considered shouting? I call it righteous indignation and think it is highly appropriate. So, shout away poster "American Greed" at the injustices in this industry, I am indignant right along with you!

Bold *and* in caps is a bit much. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Tell that to my client who insists on all headings - that way

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have a problem with a whole document that way.

What client?? This about above post, on message board, being - that way. Dont you read original posts? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I agree! - blinded by all caps and bold

[ In Reply To ..]
I stopped reading after the first couple of lines...can't handle the all caps and bold...good grief!

Oh - stop it

[ In Reply To ..]
She/he is just feeling very passionate about something and expressing it with bold and caps. Everybody has their own form of expression.

I read the whole thing and survived it with my vision intact. Good grief.

American Greed - Agreed

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm interested to hear what you have to say as far as organizing.

I'm not Am-Greed, but my belief is that those of - us who edit offshored work and - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
SR are in the perfect position to organize and threaten to strike. India-MTs and SR can't edit themselves. If we don't edit, that work is garbage. Most of us have been forced into editing, at least part-time, in one way or another. And what thanks did we get? Our pay was cut in half. American Greed at its most blatant.

Imagine for a moment that for... let's say... one week, NO American editor edits a single report. It would be totally worth the lost wages and inconvenience, just to see the chaos that would ensue.

MTs were never in a better position to organize than they are RIGHT NOW.

Genesis - dmz

[ In Reply To ..]
I interviewed with Genesis and was also told there was no offshoring. I believe, in reading many of the latest job postings, that offshoring is going to decline based on the fact that companies are really not saving money - it sounds good, 1 cent a line to India, but then you pay a US MT X cents a line to fix the errors - what must that do to TAT? Especially with Genesis doing VA, I don't believe they are offshoring the work to India, no matter they are an "umbrella." JMO. The only reason I didn't accept the position was it's pretty much what I'm making now and it would be a lateral move, just with employee status....I haven't closed the door entirely; however. One never knows what tomorrow will bring in this industry lately. Good luck to all in the New Year. This year absolutely was horrific all the way around. :)

Similar Messages:

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Who Knew?
Jul 15, 2010

x ...

I Wish I Knew Why . . .
Mar 10, 2013

there are 74 late jobs in my area, yet I sit here with NJA.  It just doesn't make sense :( ...

I JUST KNEW IT!
Dec 24, 2013

File it under Damned if you do.... Yesterday I had a report where they mention THORACENTESIS twice.... but... hmmm... poor quality, can they be saying PLEUROCENTESIS? So, like an idiot I look up old reports from this patient and there, in both old reports it says THORACENTESIS so that's what I went with.... Waiting for me in this mornings EMAIL....DING, DING... ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

QC Audits I Never Knew About
Oct 14, 2009

Okay, I may be the last one to know this, but I thought the only QC audits I was getting were the ones showing up on the DQM QA Feedback screen where it says (1 unread) or (how many ever unread). When you click on them, if the report has been audited by your QC, it will have a percentage score.  But that's just for the reports you sent in with a blank. To see the ones randomly selected and audited, you have to use the QA Feedback Search feature and put in a date range. For example, I j ...

I Knew It Would Happen
Nov 25, 2009

I knew that sooner or later one of these Indian ESLs would revert back into speaking in their own tongue.  I suspected that before but it was just their way of speaking English.  I couldn't believe it when this guy today, midsentence, started talking in his Indian dialect.  He laughed at himself, embarassed, then continued in English.  I didn't find it funny. ...

I Wish We Knew How Many, If Any, Were Desperate Enough
Sep 10, 2014

d ...

Oh Me, I Wish I Knew Who Decides Which Physicians To Put On
Jan 24, 2012

VR and which ones not to.  I'm very rapidly beginning to remember why I wasn't particularly fond of VR.  ...

I Sure Wish I Knew What It Is I'm Dong Wrong!!!!!!!
Jun 26, 2012

I've been applying only to in house positions for hospitals and clinics.  I refuse to work for any more MTSOs.  The job ads that occasionally come up that are close enough to commute to are few and far between.  In the last 4 years I've applied to quite a few of them, 3 since January this year. It's always the same old story:  "The job is filled" is what I'm always told.  Even for those 3 that granted me in-person interviews this year, it's alw ...

I Knew It. Our First HIPPA Lawsuit! Could Effect MT's.
Jan 26, 2010

I have GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS SWEAT SHOP SO CALLED PROFESSION!! Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal filed the lawsuit on January 12, 2010. In the complaint, Blumenthal alleges that last May a portable disk drive containing Personal Health Information (PHI), social security numbers, and bank account numbers from about 1.5 million customers disappeared while in transit between Connecticut and California. The company did not inform any gover ...

Any Experience Or Knew Anything About InScribe?
Mar 09, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or knew anything about InScribe? Is it a good company to work for? For the past month, I have been contacted a couple of times saying I would either be sent information about openings and also that someone would be calling me to help me get started, and neither one has happened. Is  this typical?    ...

Well, I Knew It Would Happen...This Job Is Literally A Pain...
Apr 19, 2012

I have noticed that my right index finger is a little bigger than the left, feeling a little tender, not real painful yet.  I measured them and sure enough it IS bigger.  Great, does this mean I'm getting arthritis or something?  In my late 40s--am I old enough for this?  Probably.   I just hope this doesn't get any worse.  I'll be in big trouble.   I had to drop my medical insurance.  And if I can't work, I don't know w ...

Never Knew Columbus Day Was Such A Major Holiday
Oct 12, 2013

Did all the docs go out of town for the big Columbus Day celebrations? ...

I Knew It Would Happen To Me Sooner Or Later…
Feb 01, 2012

I just need to vent…. I’ve been working part time as an IC for a hospital in the Midwest for about 10 months now. They actually found my resume online and contacted me.   I was already working 2 other part time jobs which really took up a lot of my time, but of course, not much money involved, so I decided to take it.    I did all the training and caught on very quickly.  In the beginning, I was able to work whenever I wanted since work was plentiful. ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription.
Jan 21, 2011

I have a certificate through Stratford Career Institute and have had a hard time trying to get employment. I don't have any prior experience in the medical transcription field and am very interested in getting pointed in the right direction on what to do from here on how I can further a career in this field. If anyone can be of some help please let me know. ...

Non Medical Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

I am an independent contractor. Have always charged per line count. Have an opportunity to transcribe 30 minute audio interviews. Any thoughts on what or how to charge for this? Thanks! ...

Qed Medical Transcription
Apr 02, 2011

Has anyone ever tried taking the typing test for QED transcription? For some reason I am not getting into the testing site.  '( ...

U.S. Transcription Non Medical
Sep 01, 2011

I answered an ad for U.S. Transcription posted on MT Jobs, was asked to test, and within an hour of submitting my test I was offered a job.  After my heart came down from a happy dance at an actual job offer, I found I really have some things to think about before I say yes. This would be for 2nd shift, non-medical transcription at 0.06/cpl for straight transcription, 0.03/cpl if a company provided template is used.  I suppose I need to ask what my expected production would be before ...

Looking At Going Into Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2011

I am looking into the Medical Transcription field but wanted to get info about the field from those that are in it before I take the plunge.  I'm not looking at earning a huge salary or medical benefits etc, just some extra to help the HH income. I'm looking at Career Step for my certificate. Any factual info or career experience would be appreciated. ...

Same Day Medical Transcription
Mar 24, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about this transcription company or done any work for them?  What was your experience?  Thanks. ...

New To Medical Transcription
Apr 20, 2012

I'm fairly new to medical transcription. I received my certification in 2010 and was a little discouraged when applying for jobs and they were all looking for experienced agents to work from home. I've recently decided to start back looking for work and decided to offer my services free of charge just to get the experience so I can apply in a year or two for actual paying work. Has anyone else done this or know how to get started? Or even know someone who needs a transcription intern? ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc.
May 03, 2012

Watch out for this company .... They seem a bit strange. ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc ??
May 12, 2012

Has anyone heard of USA Medical Transcription, Inc?? I can't find a website for them although when I do a reverse (fax) number look-up, it says it's in Palm Beach, FL. Info is appreciated! ...

Anyone Ever Do Non-medical Transcription And Like It?
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone ever do non-medical transcription? I'm interested to know if you liked it. I tried it for a few days and just decided it wasn't for me. A lot of it was phone conversations and was very hard to understand and I ended up leaving lots of blanks. The pay was bad too and I gave it up today. It was like torture to me to sit and listen to this voice file and one was almost 2 hours long that I did not finish before I quit. Appreciate anyone's input into this. I am feeling ba ...