A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Frustration and anger over this job might literally be killing me. - So sad. I used to love this work.

Posted: Apr 02, 2015

I once took great pride in the practice of medical transcription.  Funny that we didn't call ourselves "editors" then, because the fact is that we really were editors in much more of the true sense of that word than we are now.  A true editor can take garbage, stomp it, filter it, ferment it, age it, and ultimately bring forth a bottle of delicious wine from it.

This, we did also.  From garbage dictations, we used superior language skills, a knowledge of many subjects, skills in research, awareness of context and sometimes even, it seemed, a soupcon of telepathy or clairvoyance (I'm not sure which), filtered it all through the client requirements, and we made wine out of that garbage.

It's a simple fact that the spoken word, even out of the mouth of a good dictator, CANNOT be simply shoved down onto paper verbatim, as a string of words, and yet that, as the "modern editor" is exactly what we are asked to do.  In fact, it's not "editing" at all.  It's merely making sure that the crap churned out by the SR system is precisely the crap that was spoken by the crappy dictator.

Strict verbatim.  This would be bad enough with native English dictators, but with the astonishing explosion of ESL dictators we are literally being forced to collaborate in the contamination of the patient's medical record with the most deplorable content imaginable.

For which betrayal of the patient's interest, I'm now paid wages that are not merely inadequate; they are disrespectful and contemptuous.  

On the other hand, I'm forced to admit that since I can no longer respect myself or this profession, and since the work that I do is truly contemptible, perhaps I'm being paid precisely what I (now) am worth.

In any case, I can barely bring myself to sit down at the keyboard to start the day, and by the end of the day my head is pounding, my blood pressure is sky-high, I have little to show for it financially, and I can't for the life of me think what good I've accomplished.  It's killing me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't killing a lot of us - literally.

and sadly, that sums it all up - for me, too nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Killing us - Disappointed

[ In Reply To ..]
Everything you state is so true and very sad. It amazes me that MTs (or whatever our title should be) are treated so badly and even though companies are aware of it (due in large part to these posts I'm thinking), they don't give a rat's patootie about how we are treated and it seems even more deplorable that the healthcare facilities/doctors don't give a rat's patootie about how their patients are treated when it comes to the awful dictations that are documented as VR that we as MTs are STILL expected to still edit to make better sense and then get a QA report telling us we made a mistake. I am so very tired of walking that tightrope of trying to make sense of the crap we hear versus the crap the computer THINKS is said yet still not getting dinged for it. Of course, I'm looking for other work along with so many others !

You should write a book - on another subject because

[ In Reply To ..]
Your command of the English language is spectacular and you tell our story with such skill.

There's something else out there for you to accomplish and based on your words written here for us, I think you should consider some form of writing career.

Thank you for putting into such eloquent words exactly what so many of us feel. For me, your words just summed up what I feel so well.

Best wishes to you!

Been in your shoes and just gave it all up - anonie

[ In Reply To ..]
I had two companies I worked for. Lost my job on the one that I had a lot of accounts on and of course we were paid diddly squat.

Then my second company would not give me enough money to pay to keep working and sometimes I had no work for a whole pay period. When they passed me up twice I decided that I was not waiting.

I am now in financial trouble, have to move, probably get on assistance with electric bill and perhaps food stamps. I am not ready for Medicaid though and hope I never have to get on it.

So my pride is sure hurting me to have to now depend on government assistance though my own mother had to. She got by on $400 some on SS and $40 on SS. She did have her own home though all paid off. She was a good saver because she survived the depression and WWII. She had to quit in 8th grade to take care of her mother, who had cancer and her sister's baby while her sister and brother both worked to bring in the money.

I don't know how people survived in her time, but they did.

I sure hope you don't make yourself sick. There is a time to just plain throw in the towel.

I know how you felt getting on daily wondering whether there would be work and what kind and if you would make anything at all.

I am fully retired now and I hope I get to enjoy it till I am finally able to lay down my earphones and keyboard and go on to the MT heaven that will allow me to just rest and enjoy everything without worrying about VR nor ESLs nor companies that don't pay anything.

I have been an MT since 1987 and boy has it gone downhill fast.

No more quality. - Retiring

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in this profession BC (before computers) and cannot believe the decline of what was once considered a profession for wordsmith lovers. I actually treated each record as though it was "my patient" I was looking out for. I took the time to research, became (a joke now) "certified" and did my CME's the hard way by going to meetings at area facilities, holding instruments, hip replacements, other such necessary steps to know hands-on what was going on in this profession. I wrote newsletters, ripped labels and flaps off boxes to let others know what was "new" and what it was used for, the dosage, the generic, the brand name. All these reports were done in triplicate on typewriters with two carbon copies. Then came the computers and Google. This made lifting those heavy medical books to look up terms a bit easier on our backs. I was proud to put my initials at the end of a difficult report which required the patience of a saint to transcribe; each dialect so very different from the others, but perseverance paid off with accolades like, "How the h... do you understand those guys?" They grew on us and we were proud of our accomplishments. What spoiled it, you ask? Outsourcing for 3-4 cents a line to other countries, reports coming back with misinformation, missing information and sometimes even no patient name. Yet hospitals and big brothers were saving money by letting their MT departments shut down. If they used a good outside service here, they also started to go "shopping" for a lower price, leaving their little dedicated private practices to lower their rate or threaten to take advantage of these bargain prices at the price of accurate patient information. This does not go near shortcuts, speaking into the computer itself or typing their own notes with the EMR. I refused to lower my prices and my standards and give in to greed. "Informationalists" is the last term I heard used and it made me laugh. Professionalism in worsmithing walked out the door when India walked in, along with the EMR and all the other risk-taking. I feel sorry for the patients and their families. I hope they're reading some of their records. Will quality ever come back? Doubt it!

Good luck - same thing

[ In Reply To ..]
Have relocated twice still cannot find work. Lost my house, no more savings. Really feel like MTs getting shafted by hospitals when they apply for other positions -- perhaps being blacklisted. Also encountering young HR people with college educations who literally do not know what MT is or that MTs used to work in hospitals (and yes, I mean HR staff in hospital HR departments). Also a recruiter looked at my resume and asked me if I knew what the EMR was. Hmmm. We became fossilized while still alive.

I am applying for anything and still no work, even grocery stores where I shopped for 20 years. I go into a local store and there is someone who barely speaks English behind the cash register. When I asked a question about my purchases, a look of fear came across her face, and she turned to another employee who spoke her language and English to answer me.

I lost my job to voice recognition, India, and cannot find a job because I only speak English, and there are 100-250 applicants for each position.

Sorry to lay it on the line like this, but I have kept my hopes up, accepted help from family and friends (thankfully), have a college education, was always employed before all this started (often 2-3 jobs at a time), and now I have nothing and no one cares. And I mean no one. People get that glazed look over their face when I talk about looking for work. Being unemployed is really not in some people's reality but they look at you in disgust or fear, perhaps, that it might happen to them.

Have had several interviews I thought went well, confirmed with them when I will hear back from them, and then nothing. It's unbelievable how unprofessional and dehumanizing the whole process is, but they want employees to be professional. Had an interview with a woman whose husband had been unemployed for several years, thought I clicked with her, I had the education, and then nothing.

Oh, and I am older. I was on an interview for a transcription job (not medical). I asked if I could use my own keyboard (I think, like any seasoned transcriptionist might ask), and sometime later the guy actually asked me "Are you healthy?" Still got two arms, two legs, a brain, and enough sense that I probably would not ask someone that during a job interview.

It has been a sad downhill ride.

Hopeless Issue - Dotts

[ In Reply To ..]
You gave a very well-told story that I am sure ALL of us can relate to in one way or another. We are all in the same boat that isn't sinking, but has sunk! I don't know what else to do to try to rectify out situation. I wrote to my Congresswoman, Cheri Bustos, who just said "if this issue comes up in Congress, I will take a look at it!" Very disappointing response. I EXPECT OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS TO GO TO BAT FOR US! SOMEONE has to do something for us, American citizens (mostly female), trying to make a living. There is no recourse left as I see it. We simply "don't matter" but the healthcare facilities will one day see how this kind of treatment will come back and bite them in the butt. The software companies OUT TO MAKE MONEY and NOT really caring about patient care should all be brought before Congress ...

Very true - cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
Your words are very true. We are all getting dinged and lower scores because we didn't help the voice recognition write it as the crap it came out. If we add an extra word to make it make sense or if we are not sure of what the foreigner is saying. Very disgusting that we made more money when we were using typewriters than we do now. Typewriters where you can't just correct something that came out wrong and change it.

I am out of this field now, and been working at a grocery store. Hard work, but I just had 5 days off in a row, unbelievable and I still know how much my paycheck is going to be because we are only allowed to work 25 hours a week. But I don't have to be here 5 days a week waiting for that 1 report to come in and making 5 cents on it.

McDonald's is even going to pay their people 10.00 an hour, but transcription can't. Remember the amount we used to make in the 90s, well I believe the MTSOs are still making that much and paying us 1/8 of what they are making per line. Very sickening and disgusting.

To the writer of this original posts your words were so smooth and flowing, like the other poster said you do have a writing career ahead of you. Go for it.

Similar Messages:

Beyond Anger/frustration
Mar 12, 2013

I strongly dislike tech support!!!!!!!!!!  Last job for the night.  It was 931 long.  Went to upload and got an error message tellling me it failed to upload.  DUH!  Jerked around by tech support for 15 minutes.  Consequently, the job was lost and I lost all those lines.  This job is hard enough to get lines without this.  In fact, this is the second time today that it has happened.  The last time I got "employee down time."  I am afraid this is ...

QA Killing Me.
Sep 12, 2011

Talk about demoralizing.   We are told to speed up on editing, watch out for "over-editing", then get dinged for omitting an "a or an" or something which absolutely changes nothing.  I can understand mistakes are mistakes, but grr....  feel like I need to jump ship here before I get terminated.  For the most part QA is pretty good and fairly consistent here, but I feel some of these things are not worthy of being sent to your supervisor and put in your file.  Of cou ...

QA Killing Me
Sep 04, 2012

QA is killing me.  My super is having me retrained on the system - again.  Too many errors.  I get errors for the dumbest stuff and critical errors for things that are not critical.  I got up this morning and cried for an hour because of the corrections that came in.  I'm so stressed I can't even type, which is a good thing because either she cut me off from work or there is no work available and I'm not sure which.  Ok, I had to vent, thanks for list ...

This ASR Dictator Is Killing Me!
Dec 06, 2009

This doctor says "ah" inbetween just about every other word.  So I'm spending all my time in the ASR taking out a bunch of "a's"!!! Wouldn't normally ah vent, but I've ah had her a lot ah today! ...

Help!!! ESL Dictator Killing Me Tonight
Feb 23, 2012

Ortho report...referral for a BKA on a patient with multiple and significant "comprabilities"? He even goes so far as to use Comprabilities as a heading before listing the patient's medical issues. Paragraph beginning is as follows.. "Mr. X, who was referred here at the request of Dr. Y for evaluation of below-the-knee amputation of the right leg. The patient has multiple major ________ including end stage renal disease status post renal transplant, peripheral arterial disease status post ...

Reading A CNN Story About A Florida Hospital Killing
Jun 02, 2015

surgery (not enough operations to become skilled). The hospital has been trying very hard to keep the information out of public consumption. Something in the article reminded me of Nuance and the difficulties of trying to get paid from them for things they owe, like paid breaks, internet reimbursement, OOW pay, etc. The final sentence is the one the most telling and the one that will be the most pleasing to hear when Nuance has to pay up against their will. When CNN filed a Freedom of ...

Frustration Already
Sep 08, 2010

First week, not going well for at-home MT. Got some feedback on files--and blank inserts! I cannot understand the dictators. I asked if QA office personnel were having a hard time literally hearing and understanding dictators also, and was told, "no." (They have templates as well as more ppl listening, too.) They believe, it is a matter of not understanding the terms. But, even if a term IS garbled in sentences--how can ya hear to know whether the term would give me a problem or not? Then, to ...

NJA Frustration
Dec 08, 2011

Does this happen to anybody else?  I get NJA and then wait 13 minutes and get a job.  Aren't we supposed to wait 15 minutes to open a ticket?  It happened today and yesterday multiple times.  It really eats into my lines and breaks my rhythm.  I absolutely do not believe this is a coincidence.  Yes I understand the work is drying up or we have new MTs on the accounts, but geez, if there is no work, I'd rather be looking for another job.  What do ...

Frustration
Aug 20, 2012

I am so frustrated and discouraged about finding work right now.  A company I contracted for owes me thousands of dollars, have not seen a penny.  In small claims court right now.  I get turned down for every transcription job, not enough experience.  I am as are many of you, a hard worker.  I have two little girls I have to support.  Right now I am lost and don't know what to do.  This industry is crap.  Sometimes I just wish I had a normal job.  ...

QA Frustration
Aug 15, 2013

Okay, I pulled in an address from the database that spacing was not correct.  I did not change it and was "dinged." My bad for not watching but whoever entered it should have been more cognizant that the spacing was bad.  NEVER trust pre-entered information because you do not know who entered it. ...

Max Frustration
Jul 31, 2014

I'm so frustrated I thought TTS was going to be better, I started on a new account and the first month it was wonderful, good dictators, mostly typing, good QA scores.  Now I'm getting crappy QA, crappy dictators and my pay is taking a nosedive.  I didn't know when I started that Nuance was going to do the QC on TTS, either, that would've made me turn tail and run. I started out doing a lot of ops and haven't seen an op in ages. They're all the same. ...

A Load Off Literally
Jul 17, 2013

Finally quit. Except for leaving MM I have never felt such a load taken off my shoulders. I am going to a hospital system where historically they do not treat people like robots, or slaves. I was going to try to hang on here, by hermiting (do my job and not look at e mails, etc) but decided to try to get out and with a lot of job hunting it worked. I still cannot believe how much pressure has lifted. Oddly I no longer feel depressed. I guess now I know what was causing my sadness... I am not say ...

Frustration With Nuance
Dec 22, 2011

It is almost the end of December and we (QA) still do not know how much we will be getting paid with Nuance.  We keep hearing that the information is being compiled! Really????  Was our pay an afterthought??  Oh, that's right, we need to figure out how much we are paying them, so we need to compile the information!  Compile what??  I am sure they have the information so what is the point in making us wait!!!!????  I am so annoyed!!!!!!! ...

I Can Understand All The Frustration Being A MT Is Doing. S/m
Jun 27, 2012

I busted my butt for 2-week pay period.  Looked up EVERYTHING.  Did my best.  Not only was my paycheck something I'd use to line the bird's cage, but my bonus pay was......are you ready?.........$38.64.   Big friggin whoop.   So I can understand the attitudes of you who are not afraid to bitch.  I'm right there with you as well as the others who are afraid to open their mouths. The only ones sticking up for this mistreatment are the newbies.&nb ...

Frustration In Spades
Sep 29, 2012

I am so frustrated at mmodal that I am literally tearing my hair out.  All day I have done MRs with dictators who use cell phones that have the world's crappiest reception, have gone through quite a few charts where the dictator is chomping and eating not to mention snorting, belching, etc, etc.  These people are the rudest people I have ever heard!!!  And I haven't even mentioned those with accents.  I'm about ready to throw in the towel.  ...

Frustration Continues
Feb 24, 2013

Working my "regular" schedule today.  So far 3.68 out of 8 hours in.  Wondering if there are fellow co-workers who have jumped in.  I have not jumped in to take work away from others.  I wish we could all work together.  YES, I too have financial obligations and struggle with finances.  Please do not shoot the messenger. ...

I Am Literally Amazed That On One Screen
Jun 08, 2012

there is a whole long thread about people with NJA and no PTO time left because of it, people complaining about mandatory OT, AND comments about ads to hire more new MT's.  This company is truly weird. ...

Literally Physically Sick Of This
Jul 30, 2013

These are the last 3 days of my notice. I thought I would be elated. Instead, I had a really really bad day (again). I have always done well, been in the business forever. I learned to hang on here a year, rarely if ever paid mind to the nasty e mails because I kept my nose to the grindstone. I managed to get bonus almost every payperiod the last several months, and last time got the big bonus.   All of a sudden out of nowhere about 3 weeks ago I suddenly sucked so bad as an MT it seems I ...

This White Screen In DQS7 Is Killing Me. Eyes Hurt, Headache.
Oct 19, 2012

In DQS6, where the screen color was determined by what you set Windows colors, I had a nice pale green which is very easy on the eyes. And what's up with the dark grey highlight for SR!? Harder to see the black text underneath. Shesh, these changes from DQS6 where definitely made by people who do not have to look at a computer screen all day. I will never forget the day I was looking for a specific keyboard and the computer salesmen did not comprehend why I was so picky. They had ...

Literally Instructed To Clock Into DocQScribe
Mar 25, 2011

Schedule Source.  That 4-5 seconds is really that important?  ...

I Am Literally Going BROKE Working For This Company
Dec 05, 2011

My region has just brought on a few new accounts which would be considered a good thing for most but here is my problem.  I'm an MME so these new accounts are all 100% QA which means I've only made $0.03 cpl for days now.  To make it a thousand times worse, it seems as if every doctor on one of our new accounts has a different set of samples and formatting to follow so when I'm not earning $0.03 cpl QA'ing other people's work I've got at least a dozen samples open ...

Literally Was Falling Asleep While Typing Just Now...
Dec 20, 2011

Was just falling asleep while transcribing a report.  I kept nodding off.  I had to rewind quite a few times to see what I may have missed.  I usually don't have this problem, but I went to bed really late and had to get up earlier than usual so didn't get the sleep I normally do.  What is a good wake up remedy?  ...

Well, I Knew It Would Happen...This Job Is Literally A Pain...
Apr 19, 2012

I have noticed that my right index finger is a little bigger than the left, feeling a little tender, not real painful yet.  I measured them and sure enough it IS bigger.  Great, does this mean I'm getting arthritis or something?  In my late 40s--am I old enough for this?  Probably.   I just hope this doesn't get any worse.  I'll be in big trouble.   I had to drop my medical insurance.  And if I can't work, I don't know w ...

This Place Makes Me Literally Ill. No Joke
Oct 02, 2012

I don't think I am going back to working here. My son thinks it isn't right for me to leave b/c of a bad boss who micromanages everyone until they cannot breathe.  I have another source for money and for the little I make here it isn't worth the effort anymore. Just writing to warn others about the micromanaging done here.  The pay is so little, it isn't worth it. Thanks for listening. I know this is a negative move on my behalf regarding money but you cannot take m ...

Shaw's E Mails Literally Crack Me Up!
Jul 23, 2013

These stupid tips he gives in his e mails. Has he ever transcribed a day in his life?? My guess..no! ...

Oh The Frustration. We Are Asked To Work Extra All Weekend Sm
Dec 08, 2012

long with OT approved and this being a regular workday for me, I have nothing!!!  On top of it, we are expected to meet our minimum line counts and work our minimum hours, but how is one to do that when there is no work.  I refuse to sit here 24/7 to get my PT hours in, if that is even possible right now.  It's bad enough not making any money but then to be told that we have to meet our line counts and hours or else.....Actually, I think I would really appreciate the "or else ...

Coronary Angiogram All You That Do Coronary God Bless You...Its Killing Me
May 21, 2010

By Avis or ovis criteria it was a very appropriate size stent. ...

"ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER DOLLAR" ... TRUE (literally) IN THIS JOB
Jan 24, 2014

........................................ ...