A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Literally was falling asleep while typing just now... - blondie

Posted: Dec 20, 2011

Was just falling asleep while transcribing a report.  I kept nodding off.  I had to rewind quite a few times to see what I may have missed.  I usually don't have this problem, but I went to bed really late and had to get up earlier than usual so didn't get the sleep I normally do.  What is a good wake up remedy? 

I don't know, maybe just get some sleep instead of - fighting it

[ In Reply To ..]
When I worked the 3rd shift many years ago I used to say I did my best typing while I was sound asleep, LOL.

Get up and walk around and get some cold water - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I so have been there and done that. I used to try to do transcription when I got home from my graveyard job. Didn't last long.

Get up and walk around and get your blood flowing again; jumping jacks, arm punches, twists from side to side, just anthing to get your body moving. Get a glass of cold water and stay hydrated. Keep your office/work area cooler if you can - just cool enough that your fingers don't freeze. You'll be less somnolent if you're a little on the chilled side. Eat a little bit less on the days that you haven't had enough sleep - the blood stays where it needs to be instead of in your stomach with your digestion. These are things that work for me.

Good luck!

Staying awake - ogd

[ In Reply To ..]
I have lower back problems, so I take 2 Excedrin every morning. The asprin and acetaminophen work on my back and the tablets contain 60 mg of caffeine. That's not a lot of caffeine, but I hate coffee. This gets me to be less stiff in the back and helps wake me without the coffee. Nothing is a substitute for real sleep, however. Don't make a habit of burning the candle at both ends or your bod will make you pay for it eventually.

I almost always take a short - 10-15 minute nap

[ In Reply To ..]
as part of my lunch break, especially if I eat a turkey sandwich for lunch which I think makes me really sleepy. This way I can be alert well into the evening.

works for me - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Five-hour Energy works to get me going or I take a caffeine tablet like No-Doz or Vivarin (but I get the cheaper store brand). I've also used Jolt Gum with good results.

Vicks - Daisy

[ In Reply To ..]
Try a LITTLE medicated chest rub on your cheeks and around you nose. Instantly perks me up.

Similar Messages:

Falling Asleep
Apr 17, 2012

Hello everyone.   This is kind of a silly question but I was wondering, what do some of you do when you are working and you get sleepy ??  I find that this is a constant problem for me.  I drink coffee,  pop and whatever to boost myself but find that it just has to go away on its own.   I would really appreciate any tips some of you may have found helpful. Thank you so much ! ...

What Do People Do For The Falling-asleep Backside?
Mar 10, 2011

Apparently I have finally completely squished down the (fairly substantial) padding on my chair, with my even-more-substantial weight.... It's a good chair otherwise, and considering what we get paid these days, I am not interested in replacing it. So, who can make some suggestions for something to put between me and the seat? Height will not be an issue; my desk is high, and the chair is a highly-adjustable drafting stool. TIA.  :) ...

Dictator Fell Asleep
Jan 15, 2013

Just had a report where the dictator fell asleep and started snoring! ...

Bottom Keeps Falling Out
Aug 23, 2011

I'm surprised to see how each week seems to bring new job postings on here for lower and lower wages, even for IC's, where some have posted effective line rates (once you figure in a minimum of 15% for withholding) of 2.5 to 6 cents per line. It's like there is a game of chicken going on.  Employers keep lowering the bar on pay, and MTs keep migrating to the few jobs that still pay decently.  Eventually something has to give - either there will be no one left doing the ...

The Axe Is Falling On Middle Managers?
Jan 08, 2015

I just read a rather crypic e-mail which indicates this is the case, though no clear reason was given as to why.  It may be that at least some of the TSMs knew this was coming, which is why some of them have been so unpleasant lately.   ...

Falling On Deaf Ears
Jun 19, 2015

x ...

FIESA - Score Was Falling Over The Last Two Weeks
Oct 02, 2014

Really look into your FIESA because I could not figure out why my score was falling over the last two weeks or so. I got to looking and it is not even me. I have been being charged with errors and graded on another person's mistake. I was very worried and could not figure out what was going on. I let my TSM know and I will spend hours now trying to get everything reversed. It is worth it though because we are graded on this not only by ourselves but also as a team through your TSM. It ...

A Load Off Literally
Jul 17, 2013

Finally quit. Except for leaving MM I have never felt such a load taken off my shoulders. I am going to a hospital system where historically they do not treat people like robots, or slaves. I was going to try to hang on here, by hermiting (do my job and not look at e mails, etc) but decided to try to get out and with a lot of job hunting it worked. I still cannot believe how much pressure has lifted. Oddly I no longer feel depressed. I guess now I know what was causing my sadness... I am not say ...

I Am Literally Amazed That On One Screen
Jun 08, 2012

there is a whole long thread about people with NJA and no PTO time left because of it, people complaining about mandatory OT, AND comments about ads to hire more new MT's.  This company is truly weird. ...

Literally Physically Sick Of This
Jul 30, 2013

These are the last 3 days of my notice. I thought I would be elated. Instead, I had a really really bad day (again). I have always done well, been in the business forever. I learned to hang on here a year, rarely if ever paid mind to the nasty e mails because I kept my nose to the grindstone. I managed to get bonus almost every payperiod the last several months, and last time got the big bonus.   All of a sudden out of nowhere about 3 weeks ago I suddenly sucked so bad as an MT it seems I ...

Literally Instructed To Clock Into DocQScribe
Mar 25, 2011

Schedule Source.  That 4-5 seconds is really that important?  ...

I Am Literally Going BROKE Working For This Company
Dec 05, 2011

My region has just brought on a few new accounts which would be considered a good thing for most but here is my problem.  I'm an MME so these new accounts are all 100% QA which means I've only made $0.03 cpl for days now.  To make it a thousand times worse, it seems as if every doctor on one of our new accounts has a different set of samples and formatting to follow so when I'm not earning $0.03 cpl QA'ing other people's work I've got at least a dozen samples open ...

Well, I Knew It Would Happen...This Job Is Literally A Pain...
Apr 19, 2012

I have noticed that my right index finger is a little bigger than the left, feeling a little tender, not real painful yet.  I measured them and sure enough it IS bigger.  Great, does this mean I'm getting arthritis or something?  In my late 40s--am I old enough for this?  Probably.   I just hope this doesn't get any worse.  I'll be in big trouble.   I had to drop my medical insurance.  And if I can't work, I don't know w ...

This Place Makes Me Literally Ill. No Joke
Oct 02, 2012

I don't think I am going back to working here. My son thinks it isn't right for me to leave b/c of a bad boss who micromanages everyone until they cannot breathe.  I have another source for money and for the little I make here it isn't worth the effort anymore. Just writing to warn others about the micromanaging done here.  The pay is so little, it isn't worth it. Thanks for listening. I know this is a negative move on my behalf regarding money but you cannot take m ...

Shaw's E Mails Literally Crack Me Up!
Jul 23, 2013

These stupid tips he gives in his e mails. Has he ever transcribed a day in his life?? My guess..no! ...

Frustration And Anger Over This Job Might Literally Be Killing Me.
Apr 02, 2015

I once took great pride in the practice of medical transcription.  Funny that we didn't call ourselves "editors" then, because the fact is that we really were editors in much more of the true sense of that word than we are now.  A true editor can take garbage, stomp it, filter it, ferment it, age it, and ultimately bring forth a bottle of delicious wine from it. This, we did also.  From garbage dictations, we used superior language skills, a knowledge of many subjects, skill ...

The Sky Is Falling – College Closes Medical Transcription Program – MTSO Cut Out As
Nov 05, 2010

The sky is falling !!! Anyone else see this?  Is this an aberration or a portent of the direction Medical Transcription is heading?    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 College ends medical transcription program Recently Delhi University announced its Medical Transcription Program, for the first time, was producing better transcriptionists in India including South Asia.  In the meantime, San Juan College is closing its Medical Transcription Program stating that there is les ...

"ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER DOLLAR" ... TRUE (literally) IN THIS JOB
Jan 24, 2014

........................................ ...

Typing Without QA
Apr 06, 2010

You know, I think I am typing better and faster without the fear of QA hanging over me.  I never thought they were extremely helpful anyways.  Usually they couldn't fill in the blanks and just nit-picked the report like a pecking bird.  I have never had a report sent back from a client (knock on wood) because they were unhappy with anything.  I spent far more time trying to please QA than the hospitals and doctors (and have told my supervisor that more than once).  ...

Typing Into EMR
Mar 20, 2012

For those of you who are typing directly into EMR/EHRs, how are you accessing the voice files? Is it coming directly from the EMRs or do you have to grab them separately. I've been asked to type directly into an office's EMR and am curious how this is going to work. It sounds like some are charging per audio minute and others per hour. I'm trying to keep my job relevant and go with the flow. Thanks to all who post their situations. At least we can all pull together, learn and keep ...

Vic Pro Typing
Jun 19, 2012

Does anyone have the email address for this company? I can't find their post.  Thanks. ...

Typing?
Jan 08, 2013

Are there ANY companies that do straight typing anymore or is every VRE.  It truly sucks as I've lost 4 cents line to VRE and making more than 60% less than I did straight typing.  ...

Typing
May 15, 2013

Does anyone know of any transcription company that deals with strictly typing and not VRE? ...

Typing Bliss
Nov 06, 2009

This has to be a fluke, but for the 1st hour of my shift today... nothing but straight typing. I was so excited job after job, my fingers were flying, life was back to normal, ASR nonexistant for a brief moment in time! I typed 314 lines in my first hour of work.   WHY OH WHY, MEDQUIST, CAN'T YOU FIGURE OUT THAT I AM SO MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE WITHOUT ASR?  If I make money, you make money!   It really is that simple. ...

Typing-Baking-Baking-Typing
Dec 22, 2009

I put drop cookies in the oven, set the timer for 12 minutes, then race to my computer and type.  The timer goes off, I race to the kitchen, take out the cookies, put in more and set the timer again and off I go to my computer to type.  I have come to this conclusion: Drop cookies 12 minutes = enough time for an FU visit, outpatient note or short procedure. Bar Cookies 30-35 minutes = enough time for a consult, H&P, discharge summary or new patient office note. Now, this has got ...

Anyone Else Get Queasy When Typing
Mar 12, 2010

traumas and such? I had just sat down with a glass of V8 (no joke) and started to work and my first report is about a patient who slit a wrist. Now I'm queasy and nauseous and the V8 is going back in the fridge. This is how I know I'm in the right place in the medical field....no way I could be there and see this stuff firsthand. Blech. ...

Would Like To Know If I Am Typing This Correctly SM
Mar 14, 2010

Dictated:  ....recently diagnosed with 1p minus and 4q minus deletions. Transcribed:  ...recently diagnosed with 1p- and 4q- deletions. ...

WR Typing And Coding
Apr 30, 2010

Any info on them? Supposed to be out of AL but when I google them, nothing comes up.  ...

Has Anyone Noticed More Typing?
Jun 24, 2011

Not complaining,mind you, but what's going on.  I'm up to 10% transcription for this pay period.  Did they decide to cut back on the SR, were their complaints by doctors saying they liked it better when we typed?  LOL  just wondering if anyone has noticed it and/or knows why. ...

Who Has Straight Typing ...
Sep 21, 2010

NM ...