A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Re: Trend of hospitals starting to hire MTs again: - s/msg

Posted: Mar 16, 2011

Another poster below mentioned that her hospital hired its own MTs, stopped outsourcing work.  It seems like most of these jobs are in-house, but I was happy to read that her hospital had all its MTs working at home.  How I wish I could find a job like that!  The few hospitals in my part of the state that do hire on-site MTs are too far away to make commuting an option, especially with the rising gas prices.  

I've been looking at hospital employee MT jobs nationwide, but am disheartened to see that most still want their employees to be fairly local.  Of course I can understand their reasons for doing that, but it's making it just that much harder for me to find a *real* job again, and ditch this MTSO madness.  Do most of you who work from home directly for hospitals find that to be the case, or are some hospitals hiring workers who live out of state? 

I sometimes see ads for MTs at the Mayo Clinic, for example.  I would just LOVE to work for them!!  Unfortunately, your training, which lasts several months, is on-site in Minnesota.  My guess would be that even if I were willing and able to move to MN for 6 months, I still wouldn't be hired because I live across the country. 

The majority of the hospital MT ads I read don't clarify whether the job is remote or on-site.  I've just been assuming that those are on-site jobs.   Do you think it's worth it to apply to them anyway, just in case?   Have any of you ever applied for a hospital job that you knew was on-site, telling them that you could only work remotely, and had them decide to set you up as a remote MT? 

employee status - happyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I currently work for a hospital and all MT's are employees.... we hire in-state only.... and everyone has option of access at home or in-house.... MT supervisors are the only ones required to maintain an in-house office within the facility and have to live in the same city. Makes taxes easier for HR and keeps jobs here and as a result has a very low turn over of transcription positions, which improves quality and TAT. Our doctors are very vocal about keeping the transcription in-state.

Please tell me your hospital is in CA! :) - Please-please-please-please!

[ In Reply To ..]

My experience (sm) - Been there done that

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at home for a hospital 2-1/2 hours away from me. They require that you do live in the same state. We do have a fair number of meetings so even if they allowed out of state employees, it could get to be cumbersome driving or flying in for meetings.

If I were you I would go ahead and apply for any hospital jobs you find. They will be quick to tell you if you have to live close or not. However, I doubt they will open up a remote position for you if all their staff works in house. Think about it: That just would not be fair to the people who work in house who might have been wanting to work from home for some time.

I'm hoping that some all-inhouse hospitals are about - to consider sending all/some MTs home.

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe they were starting to think about it, and need a 'guinea pig' that's already set up and working at home to try it on.

Well... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't be very helpful, but I do want to say that I doubt the Mayo clinic would have you come and train for all that time unless you were already hired by them. Most places don't "train" until you're hired, so don't discount that as an option. I'm going to guess there's online testing, passing of the test, a job offer, an acceptance on your part, THEN the training.

I may be wrong, so I would be with you in that I would not step one foot out the door for any in-house training unless I had an offer.

You're right. I worded my post wrong. You do - have to be hired before training. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

employee status - happyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
sorry, not in Cali.... The best advice I have for you is make changes in your local areas.... our hospital almost outsourced several years back when new management came in and thought outsourcing was cost effective....I was fairly new, but already knew that if the physicians knew about this possibility and had a choice they would want local.... I approached all the speciality groups, Radiologists, Cardiology, Oncology ect and explained to them the benefits of in-house local transcription.... they were very eager to listen.... and they are very effective squeaky wheels! They all signed refusal to use outsourced transcription and our jobs were saved.... if your local Docs currently outsource, there will be plenty of unhappy customers.... start approaching them and before you know it, your local hospitals will be considering local employees..... it's all on how you sell it, the big low paying companies figured that out years ago.... AND MOST IMPORTANTLY DONT SELL OUT ON YOUR WAGE WHEN OFFERED A POSITION, TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE WORTH! No one in our transcription group works for less than what they should and even the part-timers have benefits.... stick to your guns and be confident, it works!

The thing is, most hospitals - ticchick

[ In Reply To ..]
that have MTs who work from home will still expect you to work in-house for at least the first 6 months, and then there may or may not be a waiting list of folks who want to work from home. It's still great getting paid by the hour though, and you get great benefits. I actually moved 6 hours away from where I used to live to take a job in a hospital, as the ones in my area were not hiring. I have been here 6 months now and have not regretted it for a moment. I will eventually get to work from home if I want, it will be about a year though.

Similar Messages:

Any Hospitals That Still Hire Transcriptionists
Feb 19, 2013

Does anyone know of any hospitals that still hire transcriptionists? Please help if so...Thanks! ...

A Trend I Am Seeing
Mar 15, 2011

I have noticed over the past few weeks that the majority of transcriptionists wanted ads (not on here) are in-house only.  I saw 11 job postings today looking for such and all were for in-house in different areas - and that's just today!  One of the companies I have a contract with has lost an account in the past month due to their hiring in-house staff instead.  Anyone else notice this? ...

Anybody Notice A Trend?
Jul 19, 2012

I have been noticing a trend lately here on the old board.  Starting midweek, some posters start with the meanness, the insults, the name calling, nastiness and it continues through the weekend, Saturday seeming to be the worst.  Anybody else notice this?  It was quiet yesterday, usual normal venting, but no meanness or sarcasm or insults, and today, wow.  Just sayin' ...

I Have Noticed A Trend Of Being OOW In The
Nov 23, 2012

around 9:00 p.m. Central Time.  Any other MTs running out of work consistently around this time?  I am wondering if the work starts getting routed to India around this time, because India is about 10 hours ahead of the US, so it would be morning time for India.  The work just stops downloading and not even one job trickles in. ...

Is The New Trend To Dock MT Pay For Excessive QA
May 27, 2010

submission?  I'm with a company that does this (amongst other bordering on unethical things)....I'm sure we all know what company.......cough MQ cough........   Anyway, is it just this horrible company that docks pay for QA over 5% and also if you fail an audit?  I really wouldn't have a problem with docking of pay for failed audits IF they were fair, but this company doesn't know the meaning of the word fair.    Just wondering if there are other ...

It The Trend Now To Go With Diskectomy Instead Of Discectomy? Nm
Oct 28, 2010

nm ...

Is This A Trend Amongst Companies These Days?
Aug 31, 2011

I have been looking for a better job for about 4 months or so.  As of today, I have trained for 3 untenable situations.  I won't name companies because my intent is not to slam a particular company, but to see if others are seeing a trend of companies saying anything (including lying) to an MT to get them to come aboard.  1)  A company where they were to pay hourly, but once I signed on the dotted line, it became production...with hourly at some future date.  As pa ...

Seeing A Trend? Work Disappearing?
Aug 29, 2013

Anyone else notice a trend that you get assigned to a "new" account (new to you and to Nuance) and work slowly builds up to a good amount, then starts to get out of control and behind, then starts to dwindle, then eventually it's such a trickle that you're constantly out of work?  This has now happened to me 3 times, and I'm beginning to wonder what's going on.  I know that staffing increases, when things get behind secondaries get pulled onto an account, and that a ...

Dragon An Industry-wide Trend?
Apr 11, 2011

Are many companies installing Dragon for all their MTs to use, or are most using back-end VR where the MTs simply edit?  Inscribe is going 100% Dragon.  Is that an industry trend? ...

MModal Laying Off Part-timers. Is This A New Trend?
Apr 04, 2013

Should be an interesting, wild ride. ...

VA Hospitals
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone ever transcribed for a VA Hospital? If so, would you mind telling me likes versus dislikes, similarities versus differences? I have 17 years of acute care experience but was wondering if VA Hospitals had any major differences. Thank you. ...

Who Has The 500 Plus Bed Hospitals?
Jun 08, 2014

Bored to friggin death with the little op notes from small hospitals.  Used to work for a large one out of California and there was never a dull moment with the dictation from that facility.  Stupid me.. I moved on when that company was bought out.  Should have stuck it out for the account alone. ...

Why Don't Hospitals . . .
Aug 22, 2014

. . . and larger medical facilities hire disenfranchised MLS to dictate their doctors notes instead of sleep deprived nurses and residents who can't put 2 words together???  I'm not saying all RNs and residents dictate poorly, but in my experience a huge proportion leave a lot to be desired.   What with the doctor and nurse shortage, doesn't it make sense to utilize the MLS' command of medical language?   It would free up the nurses for nursing, the ...

Hospitals/outsourcing
Oct 15, 2010

Currently, I have a FT job w/a very large hospital, actually multiple hospitals combined.  We all once worked in the office; however, they sent us all home to work.  There are about 130 hospital transcriptionists.  We also outsource a lot of work to a large company.  There have been so, so many changes - everything from new management, VR, pay for production.....Communication amongst co-workers has disappeared.  Management doesn't respond.  I'm really wond ...

And Of Course The Hospitals Know It Is A Holiday. Sm
Apr 21, 2011

An the NJA games begin.....   South NJA.  Any other regions NJA?  How can we get other work if there is NJA everywhere?  ...

Nuance Ad Says 90% Of US Hospitals. Sm.
Jul 10, 2012

Has anyone looked at the latest Nuance ad on the Job Seeker's Board?  Note, this ad claims they now have 90% of the hospitals in the US as customers.  90%! I wonder if this is correct.   ...

Do You Think MTSOs/hospitals Keep An MT
Jul 23, 2012

I've been applying and applying for every in house MT job that comes along in my area.  I have the skills, I have the experience, and all that.  Even for jobs where I would have been a perfect fit, I'm always passed over.   Although I'm applying for in house, I realize that many of them also have outside vendors for overflow, or did in the past, and are transitioning back to in house.  For quite some time, I've had a suspicion that one bad-apple ...

5 Hospitals No Work...Is This Normal?
Jan 05, 2010

I'n new to working from home, only 3 months now, but have been a transcriptionist for 6 years.  The company I work for has me on 5 different hospital accounts.  They are all rehabilitation hospitals (acute) and do H&P, discharge summaries, daily notes, consultations, etc and I am constantly out of work.   Some days I have no work at all.  Pay is 0.0775 line except headers/footers.  Is this normal?  Each hospital is at least a 50 bed hospital.  I f ...

What Happened To The Thread On The V.A. Hospitals?
Mar 12, 2010

There were some postings on V.A. Hospitals here just yesterday.  Why are they gone?  There were comments about companies that had contracts with the V.A.  Why are they missing?  Does anyone know what is going on?  Are our comments being censored?  Need to know. ...

Golden Opportunity For Hospitals Right Now!
Nov 11, 2010

As we all know, thanks to the way most MTSOs operate, there is currently a glut of experienced, talented, highly-qualified MTs who are looking for something better than just a chickenfeed job at a national.       Some hospitals have begun to question the quality of work they're getting back from the nationals (and the HIPAA compliance), since ever-increasing amounts of the work those nationals have is getting offshored.    & ...

Does Anyone Out There Work For VA Hospitals/clinics?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello! :)  I've noticed a HUGE drop in work flow mid-Nov through mid-April and was just curious if others notice that too.  Is it just VA or is it b/c of the time of year and everyone goes south?!?  I LOVE working for this company, but it has gotten so "hot and cold" over the past 2 years.  I would love to remain working on VA accounts, but I need more consistent work throughout the year.  Any tips? ...

Question About Teaching Hospitals
Jul 08, 2011

I have a questions for the MTs who are currently working on teaching hospitals.  How do you like them and what do you feel the pros and cons are with them? ...

The Hospitals I Work For Are Going Over To Nuance -
Apr 27, 2012

I've been an IC for almost ten years, and just found out that the hospitals I work for are going to be outsourced to Nuance.  It probably won't happen for a while - they're are still in the very beginnings of transition.  When it happens we will be given the option of staying on as employees of Nuance.   From the posts I've seen on the Main Board this scares me a little bit.  I guess I would like to get the inside scoop of whether I want to work for ...

Does Anyone On Here Work For Any Of The Hospitals In Oakwood, MI. Nm
Aug 29, 2012

nm ...

What Do Hospitals Deem Important?
Oct 06, 2012

My friend works for a local hospital that I used to work for.  That institution just recently outsourced their MT department to Nuance. The hospital has hired a "Life Coach" to direct their "Learning and Development" department.  They have announced that the L&D section will be "massively expanding" in the near future.  Their mission is to come up with new worthless slogans (like they one they had in place when I worked there) to put on posters plastered all over the hospital ...

Reputable Accounts/Hospitals
Mar 01, 2014

We just lost one of the most respected hospitals in the country to EPIC.  I have a phobia about working on disreputable accounts -- the kind that hire non-English-speaking physicians who prey on old, senile, demented individuals and do consult after consult after consult.  The physicians speak little to no English and in my opinion it is all an insurance scam that the disreputable hospitals happily participate in.  Now I have no choice but to be a hippocrit and work on these types ...

I Emailed The Hospitals I Used To Work For
Dec 04, 2014

I may not hear back from them, but it made me feel better just doing it. ...

4 Different Accts, 8 Hospitals, No Work
Feb 05, 2015

TT IMEDX ...

Why Don't MTSOs And Hospitals Get Together And Have BOS Specifics For All Accounts?
Nov 07, 2009

Have been pondering this a lot lately.  Why would the hospitals and MTSOs not want to all have the same specifics so MTs could concentrate on providing an accurate report based on BOS that would then allow all healthcare providers to recognize a standard for their records?  I am so tired of switching to a new account or my backup account and having to change gears to comply with different specifics.  I have one account now that we are told to literally "might as well thr ...

How Is It That The Worse Dictators Seem To Gather To The Same Hospitals?
Aug 14, 2010

xx ...