A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is this a trend amongst companies these days? - Serial Job Hunter

Posted: Aug 31, 2011

I have been looking for a better job for about 4 months or so.  As of today, I have trained for 3 untenable situations.  I won't name companies because my intent is not to slam a particular company, but to see if others are seeing a trend of companies saying anything (including lying) to an MT to get them to come aboard. 

1)  A company where they were to pay hourly, but once I signed on the dotted line, it became production...with hourly at some future date.  As part of this "hourly team" my production rate would be lower than if I were on another team.  This was a 22% lower rate from the general MT pool, supposedly.  Couple this with a CEO who barks out orders to her underlings, and while the underlings seem to "hop to" they rapidly drop the ball if they think she isn't looking.  End result is a great deal of difficulty getting questions answered from the outset.

2)  A company where they put everyone on more than one software platform, which for me is not a problem.  One of the platforms, I was trained on and as I had worked on it before, it was a refresher that was actually pretty good.  I had to wait 2 more weeks for someone to install the other platform, one I had not worked on before.  I asked for 3 days running to be trained, gave times I was available outside of my shift, etc.  Finally, I was told to "wing it" it was not that difficult, and they didn't have anyone who actually knew this platform to train me on it.  It is a very early version of something I am familiar with, so I got in to "wing it" and waited 3-1/2 hours for the TWO jobs I would have the entirety of my 8-hour shift, and was told that work was just slow on all my accounts and that it had been slow "for awhile."  This begs the question, why were you so anxious to hire me if you didn't need me?  I know this, I have to work because if I don't, I'll be on the street.

3)  A company that offered decent training as it goes, but absolutely no instruction on their weird platform.  I have worked in it previously, so it was not that critical for me.  I get into the software and many of the editing keys don't work or have to be repeatedly used to get the software to do it.  Then, after 45 minutes of working, I run out of work.  Certain days each month, the ASR is shut down, leaving ASR people out of work...so switch the days you work to avoid these days (convenient, not) or ask for another account and we'll find you something.  Come payday, though, you'll be asked why the system didn't track you as working and you'll be reprimanded and can be fired.

I feel used, lied to, over promised, dramatically under delivered.  I have a job, but it is IC and I'd rather be an employee with benefits and not be sucked dry by taxes.  I actually enjoy ASR, but I feel that I need to do some typing so that I can keep my hand in.  They can have my loyalty, I am happy to give it, but honestly, don't jerk me around with not having work, no training, and whining about how hard it is to hire a good MT when you don't need another MT, good or otherwise, because you have no work anyway.

Is this just me?

#3 is the Q - cracked your code

[ In Reply To ..]
Gotcha

Actually...none of them are. I have never worked for the Q. - SJH the OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Not in all these years. I have never had to work for them, not been that desperate, but this time I am close.

take that back - right now

[ In Reply To ..]
You do not want to work there.
Okay, welll...obviously - SJH the OP
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want to work at any of the other places I mentioned either!!! I don't know, it seems like none of them can get there s...stuff together.
My .02... - wrkn4pnuts
[ In Reply To ..]
Recently I interviewed for an IC position. The company owner pretty much called me a liar when I told her my average hourly production. What a slap in the face! I have worked really hard for many years to reach what so far is my personal best production level, and I don't use VR. Needless to say I didn't take the job. We are on our own out here, folks, and if we choose to stay in this field, we need to make our time count, for us. There are decent companies out there, but we need to do our homework and research any company thoroughly before taking a job.

Similar Messages:

Companies Wanting Independent Contractors These Days ? 
Dec 13, 2009

Why are there so many companies wanting independent contractors these days ?  Some of us need benefits ! ...

A Trend I Am Seeing
Mar 15, 2011

I have noticed over the past few weeks that the majority of transcriptionists wanted ads (not on here) are in-house only.  I saw 11 job postings today looking for such and all were for in-house in different areas - and that's just today!  One of the companies I have a contract with has lost an account in the past month due to their hiring in-house staff instead.  Anyone else notice this? ...

Anybody Notice A Trend?
Jul 19, 2012

I have been noticing a trend lately here on the old board.  Starting midweek, some posters start with the meanness, the insults, the name calling, nastiness and it continues through the weekend, Saturday seeming to be the worst.  Anybody else notice this?  It was quiet yesterday, usual normal venting, but no meanness or sarcasm or insults, and today, wow.  Just sayin' ...

I Have Noticed A Trend Of Being OOW In The
Nov 23, 2012

around 9:00 p.m. Central Time.  Any other MTs running out of work consistently around this time?  I am wondering if the work starts getting routed to India around this time, because India is about 10 hours ahead of the US, so it would be morning time for India.  The work just stops downloading and not even one job trickles in. ...

Is The New Trend To Dock MT Pay For Excessive QA
May 27, 2010

submission?  I'm with a company that does this (amongst other bordering on unethical things)....I'm sure we all know what company.......cough MQ cough........   Anyway, is it just this horrible company that docks pay for QA over 5% and also if you fail an audit?  I really wouldn't have a problem with docking of pay for failed audits IF they were fair, but this company doesn't know the meaning of the word fair.    Just wondering if there are other ...

It The Trend Now To Go With Diskectomy Instead Of Discectomy? Nm
Oct 28, 2010

nm ...

Seeing A Trend? Work Disappearing?
Aug 29, 2013

Anyone else notice a trend that you get assigned to a "new" account (new to you and to Nuance) and work slowly builds up to a good amount, then starts to get out of control and behind, then starts to dwindle, then eventually it's such a trickle that you're constantly out of work?  This has now happened to me 3 times, and I'm beginning to wonder what's going on.  I know that staffing increases, when things get behind secondaries get pulled onto an account, and that a ...

Re: Trend Of Hospitals Starting To Hire MTs Again:
Mar 16, 2011

Another poster below mentioned that her hospital hired its own MTs, stopped outsourcing work.  It seems like most of these jobs are in-house, but I was happy to read that her hospital had all its MTs working at home.  How I wish I could find a job like that!  The few hospitals in my part of the state that do hire on-site MTs are too far away to make commuting an option, especially with the rising gas prices.   I've been looking at hospital employee MT jobs nationwi ...

Dragon An Industry-wide Trend?
Apr 11, 2011

Are many companies installing Dragon for all their MTs to use, or are most using back-end VR where the MTs simply edit?  Inscribe is going 100% Dragon.  Is that an industry trend? ...

MModal Laying Off Part-timers. Is This A New Trend?
Apr 04, 2013

Should be an interesting, wild ride. ...

Always See The Companies To Stay Away From, How About Companies To Go To?
Oct 23, 2012

I see many warnings about bogus companies but I need help to steer me to a good company or at least a company that is fair, hiring and gives a fair entrance test.  any ideas?   ...

PAY DAYS
Feb 08, 2010

Forget how to look up pay dates - is it on MQ Central?  Thanks in advance. ...

NJA - 2 Days In A Row!
Mar 30, 2010

I'm on a roll!!  Almost out of PTO.  No vacation or anything for me this year.   BULLCRAP! ...

NJA How Many Days In A Row Now?.............
Jul 15, 2010

i'm devastated. forget bills, they don't need to be paid, right?  much less food that doesn't need to be bought.   ...

Ever Have One Of Those Days When
Nov 12, 2010

every other report is tragic? Tonight I just want to quit, so depressing. I hate doing child death reports, alcohol-involved MVAs where someone dies, drug overdoses where the person dies, attempted suicide, severe brain damage/paralysis from fall, all in one shift, all young people!! Giving extra hugs to my children and hubby tonight.  Sometimes I want to go back to doing just clinic work. Thanx for the vent and someplace to take a break. ...

Ever Have One Of Those Days, Where It Seems All The
Feb 15, 2011

It seems that every dictator tonight has made some sort of mistake or said something that doesn't seem right (mg/mcg, right/left, dates, names, age, etc.) that required extra research through past reports (if your lucky they have some) to get correct information?  Or where the residents make you want to beat your head against the wall because they cannot pronounce half the stuff their field exposes them to?  Sure, a handful a day is expected, but there are some days where it' ...

One Of Those Days-
Feb 18, 2011

This is on the tip of my tongue and driving me crazy!  Any help appreciated! "care ax" cream........wart treatment. ...

One Of Those Days
Mar 11, 2011

I'm having one of those days - can't understand a blessed thing anyone's saying!  I'll have days in a row without a single blank, and today - barely a report without at least one!  I think my so-called "listening ear" has taken a vacation! Think I'll sign off and settle down with a martini to toast the week-end, and hopefully all will be back to normal tomorrow!     ...

Low Pay For MTs These Days
Apr 21, 2011

I am in quite a quandy right now.  I have been out of work as an MT now for 3 months due to a layoff.  I started off in this field 15 years ago earning 11 cents a line for a transcription company.  My last job paid me 9 cents a line.  Now I am looking to find a part-time job and I can't find anything over 8 cents a line.  Doesn't experience matter anymore or is the transcription field pay rate getting lower and lower all the time?  I am shocked, because fo ...

One Of Those Days.
May 04, 2011

Today I had a 35 minute report by one of the worst dictators. On top of that her phone line is really bad. I did the best I could and ended up sending the report to QA. QA was able to fill in about half of the blanks that I had. I ended up sending an e-mail to my supe to see if anything could be done about her phone line, and if she could please listen to the report. Less than a minute later she e-mailed my back stating that she could hear the report just fine. My question is, how can it take le ...

NJA For 3 Days!
Jun 02, 2011

I am in the South region and have had NJA for 3 days! I have e-mailed my CCM who said work is slow, the first day.  Now I cannot get in touch with her and no explanation for no work.  I have used PTO and even taken a day off without pay.  This has never happened before.  Anyone know what is going on? Any answer or help would be greatly appreciated!   Anon   ...

So Far, This Has Been One Of Those Days Where
Jun 06, 2011

just above any profession but this one looks good.  Back-to-back ESL who gets on late at night, dictates report after report after report, marks them all priority even though they may be for admissions/discharges from 2-3 months ago.  He's horrible to listen.  Talks so softly sometimes he can barely be heard.  Flies through lab results, etc.  And, I think I'm the primary transcriptionist on this account.  I have literally begged to have this account t ...

Anyone Else Always Have Days Like This?
Aug 02, 2011

For some unknown reason my footpedal just decides to stop working this morning and I spend hours to get it going again. I finally get back into my groove, only to get a dictation that is 29 minutes long with only 4 minutes of actual dictating! I can never get ahead and get a decent line count anymore. There is always something that comes up to keep my production down and shrink my paycheck. I wish we were compensated fairly for times when a dictator keeps the phone on for 28 minutes without ...

Having One Of Those Days.
Jan 19, 2012

I feel like pulling my hair out. My supe said she was going to write me up because of 2 weeks of low line count. I guess she forgot that I used PTO because of NO WORK and on top of that I have been sick the last 2 weeks and I have had to use a couple days sick leave. Stupid me I thought I could use PTO for being SICK. Well enough venting. ...

TTD Pay Days
May 19, 2012

Can someone tell me how often they pay?  Is it monthly? Every 2 weeks? When is their next payday?  TIA ...

16 Days.
May 31, 2012

We are always being told we have 24 hours to respond to emails from our leads and managers, just wish they had to show us the same respect.  I asked 1 simple question about an error.  I didn't even bother to refute it, just wanted an answer and it took 16 days after 2 reminders.  Thank you Debra.  I appreciate your promptness.  I will show you the same respect when you want something from me.  ...

OOW Two Days In A Row!!!
Jun 06, 2014

OOW again at the start of my shift!! What the h@##@!   Does anyone know if you can collect partial unemployment without taking PTO?  I have never collected but seriously thinking about it. ...

4 More Days To Go
Nov 13, 2014

and I so don't want to show up for any of those days. ...

10 More Days
Jan 08, 2015

I have 10 more days of transcription then I am done.  First let me thank Jesus for getting me out of this misery.  I've been a transcriptionist for almost 20 years, back in the day with cassetts, C-phones, good pay, communication between the doctors and the transcriptionst, respect, over-time pay, holidays off, etc.  You know, I actually had life outside of transcription  I found a job doing medical assisting in a doctor's office and I am so looking forward to havi ...

It's Just One Of Those Days...
Mar 15, 2015

When a doctor dictates a 40-minute job where he took several 5-10 minute pauses, and kept repeating himself, so the job ended up being only a few lines. And the next doctor kept saying "correction" every other sentence, most of the time not making it clear what he wanted corrected. ...