A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is the new trend to dock MT pay for excessive QA - Kiki

Posted: May 27, 2010

submission?  I'm with a company that does this (amongst other bordering on unethical things)....I'm sure we all know what company.......cough MQ cough........

Anyway, is it just this horrible company that docks pay for QA over 5% and also if you fail an audit?  I really wouldn't have a problem with docking of pay for failed audits IF they were fair, but this company doesn't know the meaning of the word fair. 

Just wondering if there are other decent, honest companies where you don't get punished for crappy dictators, penalized for sending to QA, and that actually give production bonuses. 

bad trend - cashstrapped

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad things didn't work out with me and Medquist, because I think this new trend is horrible.

Wow, that is horrible. The harder you work trying to reference something - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
or listen over and over again but still can't get it you then lose pay?? I wonder if you lose pay if QA ends up sending off with a blank. I keep track of all my QA submissions and most are doc descrepancies and my submissions sometimes are over 5%, so I would be docked for the doctors' descrepancies?? I am sooooo glad I left MQ when I did and if my new company even starts to consider this, I am out....

shortcake - we are not getting

[ In Reply To ..]
a straight answer as to whether or not we are docked even if QA is ultimately unable to fill in the blanks.

Sadly, I think I already know the answer.

That is why all my blanks now go directly to the client. I refuse to play the game. I was told to trust myself and what I hear, and that is what I am doing.
good strategy. The MTSOs are shieldng - crap
[ In Reply To ..]
the clients and their bad dictators out of fear to lose the account if they complain that their MTs have real trouble listening to bad audios.

That's the advantage working in an office:
If my boss asks me to do "crap" for him, I just knock at his door and tell him that I refuse to do crap and fight it out with him, and if I prove to him and he has to admit that it is his fault, he cannot fire me, or else.....!
Yeah, I also know the answer..I was denied a raise because of - shortcake
[ In Reply To ..]
my QA submissions and when I showed documentation that a huge % of my blanks were not filled in by QA, I was told they put a freeze on raises. I was told many years ago, if you are not absolutely sure about something, do not put it in the report. I think this could prove to be dangerous as some will have no choice but to guess about things. In the good ole days I remember being told to listen 3 times and if I can't get it, move on. Of course we have access to google now and that is a huge help but sometimes blanks just can't be helped, and the MT should not be punished for that. MQ may be looking to get rid of QA dept possibly, how stupid is that???

as far as I know - MQ is the leader

[ In Reply To ..]
of the pack on this new grand idea. Others will surely follow as usual...

MQ is the leader - Annie

[ In Reply To ..]
when it comes to a lot of bad things. Remember the transcriptionists' lawsuit?

If there is truly excessive QA, they need t just get rid of the MT entirely - Docking does not make sense

[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't keep an MT who abused flagging and took advantage of sending blanks to QA. I've never been in the position of making those decisions, but anyone who abused QA would be out that day. I wouldn't dock anyone's pay though. It's so important for an MT to know what they don't know and flag appropriately, but if they flag everything, they might as well not have bothered at all. Someone else is going to have to transcribe that report for them. They shouldn't be paid for reports that are worthless. If it's an occasional one that can't be helped, that's one thing, but if the MT can't handle difficult dictation, they are in the wrong business or need better training. No docking if I were making the decision. No jobs for MTs who aren't able to transcribe.

absolutely agree with you 100% about weeding out - however at MQ

[ In Reply To ..]
the problem is that we are only allowed to send 5% of our total lines typed for the week to QA no matter what the reason. This could include blanks for sound quality, cutoffs, missing hospital/physician names that cannot be verified, etc (the client can force us to send a blank for that reason). All these blanks count 100% against the MT as far as their amount of QA submission. See the problem developing here?

We are forced to choose between an educated guess and having our pay docked. No more extra "set of ears" to help us. Of course no calling the client for verification. You are on your own to make the decision.

The worst part of all is that one long chart submitted to QA with ONE BLANK may cause you to exceed your 5% allowance for the week.

Then everything you type for the rest of the week is docked 3 cpl.

Oh, OUCH! - Never mind then

[ In Reply To ..]
That does change things. Thanks for clarifying.

P.S. - I should clarify

[ In Reply To ..]
that if the chart has obvious sound issues only, then there is no need to send to QA. However, "dictator effect" is extremely subjective. To send or not to send? hmmmm

It literaly pits the MT versus the QA on whether or not "someone" could have heard the blank. Who is to say who could have heard it and who could not have heard it?

Therein lies the main flaw of the FTR program.

However at MQ - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
When has MQ EVER been fair or honest with its MTs?

it would be fairer to get rid of the bad DICTATOR!! - well,....

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

lol - we would lose so many accounts

[ In Reply To ..]
if that were the case.
That's part of the job and a little bit of job security though - In my opinion
[ In Reply To ..]
Otherwise, I agree with you.

I totally agree with you! Everyone please read my following post (last para at least)---- - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
But unfortunately in a lot of cases at MQ, the excessive blanks have to do with horrible dicators, horrible audio, or simply getting bounced from account to account, having up to 20 different (and more!) accounts to have to memorize with new, unfamiliar dicators, new client rules, etc. It's next to impossible to NOT leave some blanks, and 5% is NOT very much leeway.

But in the end, you ARE right, even with all the above taken into account, if MQ is not satisfied with an employee, let them go, don't dock the pay. Herein lies the problem---they do NOT want to have to pay unemployment to let someone go. They would rather dock the pay and pay us Indian wages. Proof that they are greedy and unethical amongst other things.

You are exactly right...having done QA, I have seen (SM) - Oh My

[ In Reply To ..]
Having done QA, I have seen what I had previously presumed were good, solid MTs send reports to QA claiming they couldn't understand something or had "poor audio and can't make out a SINGLE WORD."

Ummm...yeah, that "poor audio"? Yeah, it was a BIT substandard, but I managed with it just fine, this MT just didn't want to deal with it, obviously. She also had days where apparently she couldn't make her reference books open because she'd obviously not even tried to find something relatively simple to find, even for me and I'd never had reason to look these things up before. When doing QA for a relatively small group (20 or less) of MTs, you learn quite quickly to separate the "girls" from the "women", so to speak (or "men" from the "boys," but we were all female).

An MT can convince you she/he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but once you start doing QA, you can very quickly start seeing through the ruse to the truth and sometimes it's not pretty. Not at all.

There are indeed MTs who abuse QA, and I agree with this poster; they need to be dealt with on a 1:1 basis and terminated. They are a total drain on QA resources and lack the willingness to put 100% into every report.

how come that it is NEVER the dictator's fault? - ??

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

because doctors will be doctors - that is what my CCM always tells me nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

any doctor can be ........... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
a lousy dictator.

In no profession should any worker be made responsible and get blamed for others' inefficiencies, and this so openly, and nothing is being done against it. This is against all rules.

The only thing we hear is:
Get an ear checkup, hahaha, this is hilarious!
If they spoke clearly, SR could do it all with 100% accuracy - LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
Not happening, is it?!
VR - none
[ In Reply To ..]
Therefore SR is not the solution.
Maybe EMR will be, or something even better, after EMR.

Are you embracing VR's imperfection because a perfect VR would render you obsolete?

This is so paradox.

When I worked in a hospital years ago, one - k

[ In Reply To ..]
of the ESL doctors told our supervisor it was not his fault if we could not understand him. She basically told him then that if he could not speak more clearly, then he would just have reports full of blanks if on a 2nd listen we couldn't get it instead of spending large amounts of time trying to get what he was saying. After a couple of weeks, he straightened up and was a lot easier to do. That was the good old days, working in a hospital and actually knowing the doctors.

this is...see inside - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
the crappiness of this profession:

The biggest injustice in the MT field lies in the fact that it is ALWAYS the MT's fault, no matter what and that MTs are not given any opportunity to defend themselves.
Does "innocent until proven guilty" not apply to MTing?

Even a killer gets a fair trial before getting convicted.

You know what? Not all of us have had this problem - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That sounds like a little bit of an overreaction. I sympathize, but not every MT is having that problem. Maybe we have more experience, better training, clear accounts, better equipment, nicer supervisor, more skilled QA, or whatever reason. Not all MTs are getting zapped this way. See if you can change accounts or companies, for a starter. If that doesn't work, you may need a different career if you really view it the way you said.

You know what? Me neither, but many do. - bad dictators

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

QA questions? - old mt

[ In Reply To ..]
One company - not MQ (surprise) will terminate your contract if you ask too many questions as you should know all? In theory if you are a seasoned transcriptionist I can see it - but if you some of the God-awful dictators what are you supposed to do - quess or not leave blanks. It seems they all want us to be all knowing.

Similar Messages:

Don't Dock My Pay!
Jan 21, 2015

If, after decades of transcription and getting great production and accuracy scores, I have turned into a nitwit who can't transcribe or edit worth a plugged nickel, just fire me. Don't dock my pay. That's just mean. You make mistakes, too. So do your hoity-toity postauditors. You make me sick. You are destroying us. We are making more mistakes because we're so nervous and stressed out all the time. But that's the point, isn't it? To have us make more mistakes so yo ...

Does M Modal Still Dock Your Pay If...
Mar 28, 2012

Didn't Medquist dock pay in the past for reports sent to QA, maybe over a certain percentage?  Does M Modal do that still?  I currently work for Transcend, which is being bought out by Nuance.  I have satellite internet, which is compatible at Transcend but not compatible at Nuance.  It would only be a matter of time before Nuance changes the platform to their own, which will not work with sat. internet.  So I thought I might as well start looking els ...

Why Are They So Quick To Dock Our Pay?
May 30, 2015

Why do they make such a big deal out of an error, including sending e-mails saying "ERROR ALERT" or making a 3-point error a "critical patient safety error," then docking your pay for same, but if you go back to look at the document or to listen to it again, which you can in Escription, they have NEVER CORRECTED THE ERROR??? I don't think they are that concerned about errors, other than to dock our pay and to shame us. If they were, they would correct the error in the original documen ...

Excessive Use Of Pts Names.
Jun 16, 2011

I just did a report that only had 14 lines and the pts name was used, Mr. XXXXX, a total of 16 times.  The report ended up sounding so stupid. ...

Excessive Bleeding
Apr 19, 2011

Could not stop patient's bleeding.  Patient on Coumadin.  Dr. dictates "Patient given Vitamin K and s/l  FSP or SSP  to reverse INR.  Dr. mumbles this line.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you. ...

Is It The New Thing To Dock MTs Lines For Different Things?
Jul 24, 2012

I have heard of certain services docking the MTs lines for the entire report if they include part of the template that may not have been dictated, if they don't include the template even though it was not dictated, for wrong demo info, for wrong CC info, for wrong dates, for wrong date of service input by system (and left by MT).  Is this an exception or becoming the new norm? ...

Excessive Nastiness Here On The MM Board
Feb 27, 2013

Admittedly, there are some nasty trolls on other boards here on this site, too, but the M*Modal and Politics boards seem to have a really, really high ratio of viciousness.  No surprise on the Politics board, but it is interesting that the M*Modal board comes in for so much more meanness, post for post, than the others. Since the nastiest folks always seem to be those defending M*Modal and belittling other MTs, it does make me wonder if some of M*Modal's low-level managers like to ve ...

Oops-I Meant To Type Pollyanna-DOCK ME!!! :-) Nm
Dec 17, 2014

x ...

A Trend I Am Seeing
Mar 15, 2011

I have noticed over the past few weeks that the majority of transcriptionists wanted ads (not on here) are in-house only.  I saw 11 job postings today looking for such and all were for in-house in different areas - and that's just today!  One of the companies I have a contract with has lost an account in the past month due to their hiring in-house staff instead.  Anyone else notice this? ...

Soft Touch Keyboard For Excessive Typing
Aug 31, 2011

I need some of your opinions on soft touch keyboard for excessive typing.  Anyone have a favorite? ...

Anybody Notice A Trend?
Jul 19, 2012

I have been noticing a trend lately here on the old board.  Starting midweek, some posters start with the meanness, the insults, the name calling, nastiness and it continues through the weekend, Saturday seeming to be the worst.  Anybody else notice this?  It was quiet yesterday, usual normal venting, but no meanness or sarcasm or insults, and today, wow.  Just sayin' ...

I Have Noticed A Trend Of Being OOW In The
Nov 23, 2012

around 9:00 p.m. Central Time.  Any other MTs running out of work consistently around this time?  I am wondering if the work starts getting routed to India around this time, because India is about 10 hours ahead of the US, so it would be morning time for India.  The work just stops downloading and not even one job trickles in. ...

Caught Flak Here For Excessive Charge By Vascular Surgeon
Oct 08, 2013

Back in September went to a vascular surgeon who saw me for a few minutes, said had no clue why my legs tired, hurting at night and proceeded to charge my insurance $325.00. I thought excessive being as nothing done. Others here said I had to pay for his office, his staff, and on and on. I called my insurance company, reported as excessive. I cancelled followup with him. Yesterday self referred to another physician, location approximately same as first. This particular physician said what he ...

It The Trend Now To Go With Diskectomy Instead Of Discectomy? Nm
Oct 28, 2010

nm ...

Is This A Trend Amongst Companies These Days?
Aug 31, 2011

I have been looking for a better job for about 4 months or so.  As of today, I have trained for 3 untenable situations.  I won't name companies because my intent is not to slam a particular company, but to see if others are seeing a trend of companies saying anything (including lying) to an MT to get them to come aboard.  1)  A company where they were to pay hourly, but once I signed on the dotted line, it became production...with hourly at some future date.  As pa ...

Seeing A Trend? Work Disappearing?
Aug 29, 2013

Anyone else notice a trend that you get assigned to a "new" account (new to you and to Nuance) and work slowly builds up to a good amount, then starts to get out of control and behind, then starts to dwindle, then eventually it's such a trickle that you're constantly out of work?  This has now happened to me 3 times, and I'm beginning to wonder what's going on.  I know that staffing increases, when things get behind secondaries get pulled onto an account, and that a ...

Re: Trend Of Hospitals Starting To Hire MTs Again:
Mar 16, 2011

Another poster below mentioned that her hospital hired its own MTs, stopped outsourcing work.  It seems like most of these jobs are in-house, but I was happy to read that her hospital had all its MTs working at home.  How I wish I could find a job like that!  The few hospitals in my part of the state that do hire on-site MTs are too far away to make commuting an option, especially with the rising gas prices.   I've been looking at hospital employee MT jobs nationwi ...

Dragon An Industry-wide Trend?
Apr 11, 2011

Are many companies installing Dragon for all their MTs to use, or are most using back-end VR where the MTs simply edit?  Inscribe is going 100% Dragon.  Is that an industry trend? ...

MModal Laying Off Part-timers. Is This A New Trend?
Apr 04, 2013

Should be an interesting, wild ride. ...

Parkinson's Disease Aggravated By Excessive Haldol S/l Tobacco Haldol Discontinued??
Sep 11, 2010

Thanks...  ...