A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What Do Hospitals Deem Important? - EyeOpener

Posted: Oct 06, 2012

My friend works for a local hospital that I used to work for.  That institution just recently outsourced their MT department to Nuance.

The hospital has hired a "Life Coach" to direct their "Learning and Development" department.  They have announced that the L&D section will be "massively expanding" in the near future.  Their mission is to come up with new worthless slogans (like they one they had in place when I worked there) to put on posters plastered all over the hospital to make everyone believe that they "care" about patients and "care" about quality.  The managers themselves will NOT even follow their own guidelines!  None did during the years I was there...

They will also conduct classes for the employees, during which they will hand out expensive, slick printed materials and some silly pin or water bottle with the slogan and logo printed on it.  Talk about wasted money!  It is nothing but touchy, feely, nebulous "rah rah" stuff that amounts to basically NOTHING.  I know because I have been there, done that, and sold the T-shirt!

So, to review:

* Hospitals don't give a crap about the quality of the medical transcription that will be going into patients' charts.  (It's not like we didn't already know that....)  That's why they won't pay in-house American MTs a decent rate/wage but will happily outsource to a company that then offshores to India. 

* Hospitals will blow money willy nilly on silly, worthless crap to give the APPEARANCE that they "care" about quality and their patients.

All style, NO substance. 

And the beat goes on....

Yeah, no surprise here and eyes have been open a LONG time. - This is nothing new, sadly. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

How else to drum up business than an advertising - campaign? No need for disdain. NM

[ In Reply To ..]

x

how about a reputation for good, quality care? nm - ann

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

word of mouth is not enough. you sit around - talking hospital experiences? not me

[ In Reply To ..]
They are a business and have every right to advertise in any way shape or form they wish to the degree they are budgeted. Get real. I worked for Banner Health - they are excellent - and all facilities advertise. McDonalds has a pretty good reputation, so does Burger King, etc., yet they sink millions into advertising. So?? Really doubt they cut departments to come up with money.

Better things to complain and get all tizzied about.

Cancer. There's one.
LOL! They don't cut depts. to save money? - EyeOpener
[ In Reply To ..]
This sentence you wrote is hysterically funny!

"Really doubt they cut departments to come up with money."

Ever hear of layoffs? Ever hear of the "ax man" or "ax woman" whose job it is to cut, cut, cut to save money!?

Not arguing with you, and you are not getting me. - had enough of this.. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
~~
It's called "conceding the point." - EyeOpener
[ In Reply To ..]
Those with debate skills (and class) concede a point when proven wrong. Clearly you are not and do not.
it's called bored, honey. Not interested. Everybody has one you know. - Leaving for work. waving bye SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Opinion, that is. I stated mine. I'm not here to change yours.

Hire a bunch of bad drivers??? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
s

Clearly, you didn't understand the message. - EyeOpener

[ In Reply To ..]
This is not any kind of "advertising campaign" because it is INTERNAL, for employees ONLY. It does not appear in any ads whatsoever, whether TV, print, radio, etc. Again, these are "rah rah" sessions for EMPLOYEES. Then the managers are HYPOCRITES because they DO NOT follow it themselves.

It is because Medicare and insurance now reimbursing accoring to quality, not that they care - just me #1

[ In Reply To ..]
Read the new insurance laws and Medicare reimbursement. Actually, private insurance has been doing this for a while, and Medicare is just starting this---reimbursements based upon patient feedback/quality care and also deducting payments for patients readmitted within 30 days, which now they will be fined for. You seriously do not think they care? It is all about the money...

Huh? - EyeOpener

[ In Reply To ..]
What you wrote here makes no sense:

"You seriously do not think they care? It is all about the money... "

OF COURSE it's all about the money; that was the point of my post!

"reimbursements based upon patient feedback/quality care and also deducting payments for patients readmitted within 30 days, which now they will be fined for. "

Last time I checked, most patients never see their medical records. So what do "patient feedback" ratings have to do with the quality of the transcription that is in their charts? The answer is NOTHING.

Similar Messages:

Which Is More Important?
May 25, 2012

When researching medical transcription programs, I hear conflicting information on whether it is more important to have the RMT credential or to take a program that includes internship for the experience requirements.  Can you tell me which is more important in the real world of transcription? ...

WHAT THE ***? IMPORTANT!! ALL MUST READ!
Dec 17, 2009

The HITECH Act: Will You Be Fine, or Fined? FRANKLY, OUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS BIG TIME!  I AM STILL USING A WORK COMPUTER, IS THAT GOOD OR NOT??? Under the new Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act) that takes effect this upcoming February, you as a transcriptionist could now be directly liable for any private health information (PHI) that is stolen or somehow reaches the public domain. That could include any transcriptions you produce that are emailed ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

IMPORTANT! Every MT/MME Needs To Read This!
Mar 03, 2010

Just spoke to someone I know in TAA/Unemployement office.  FIRST TIME RIGHT is a gray area. We can fight this because it is a gray area. It is not right that if a doctor dictates and we cannot understand what they are saying for sure and we can get docked in pay, literally take money from us.  IT IS NOT LEGAL.   That is probably why the big bosses are on this board to see what they can get away with.  We have every right to fight them.  It is just wrong!  I WAS ...

Important/New Disease
Jul 02, 2010

Cancer of the breath.  Documented Source of Information:  ASR. (P.S.  Catch her...)   ...

If You Are An RMT, Is Having A Degree Still Important?
May 16, 2011

Hi all. I plan on taking the RMT test soon and feel confident of passing. My question is, if I do get the title, will employers care that I don't have a formal education in MT?... Would passing the test serve as adequate indication that I know enough to qualify? Thanks in advance. ...

IMPORTANT! NEW CAREERS FOR MTs.
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not like ...

IMPORTANT! New Career For MTs And To Get Out
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not ...

Why Proofreading Is Important
Aug 22, 2012

I just saw this sentence in a job posting on another MT site: I am looking specifically for someone for weekends first not weekdays, please do not reply if you are willing to work weekends.   ...

Important Question
Oct 21, 2012

I am asking for opinions and suggestions only...no bashing, please. I "worked" for a client as an IC for a total of one week, two dictations, equalling about MAYBE $40 in pay. I have not actually counted lines, so I don't know. This "client" and I did not see eye to eye on MANY things and I decided it was not in my best interest to continue working for her, so I gave notice that I was "done."  She continues to email me even though I have stated in no uncertain terms that I was done, a ...

Someone Here Said We Should Save All Important
Jan 13, 2015

but how do you do this?  I tried to forward an email to another email address and it gets blocked (restricted - can't send).  If you get laid off/fired you lose access to your email immediately.  So I don't understand how someone here saves any on these emails.  ...

Important Questions
Jan 13, 2015

I am desperate to find a new path after being laid off from mgmt when my job was outsourced to India.  I can no longer support myself doing production and HAVE to find a new career.  I'm leaning towards coding but am hoping for some answers before taking the plunge and spending money I basically don't have.  Forgive me if these questions have been asked before, and thanks in advance for any help/advice you may have. If I successfully complete a reputable course and get ...

Does Anyone Else Have A Pet That Just Insists They Are Far More Important
May 27, 2015

than any work you have to do?!? I have a 70-pound dog insisting on trying to climb in my lap or just plain knocking my hands off the keyboards today! He's keeping me entertained though. ...

Important Info
Jun 22, 2015

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/features/smartbuy/tech-news/nuance-transcription-services-on-a-hiring-mode/article7223533.ece/ ...

So If Demographics Aren't Important Enough For The
Jan 20, 2010

Why are we getting multiple e-mails about spending extra time on them because HIPAA is so important these days?    ...

Good Insurance Is More Important To Me Than Anything. Any
Jun 24, 2011

medical insurance with decent coverage ($500-$1000 deductible, 10% copay for tests, hospital stay, ops, etc), single premium employee contribution no more than $250 monthly.    ...

Webmedx MTs/QA Terminated - IMPORTANT!!
Sep 02, 2010

We can request a petition for Trade Adjustment Act assistance be filed against Webmedx because of the nature of this termination (reduction in force) and more than 3 MTs/QA were terminated.  Each one of you who was terminated: 1.  Immediately contact your state's Department of Workforce Services.  (A)  File an unemployment claim immediately.  (B)  Request that a TAA petition be filed.  Use the Atlanta location (Corp Office) and Pittsburgh location (Opera ...

The Big, Important Meeting Today
Apr 17, 2013

I'm surprised no one has protested the fact that absolutely nothing was said about the NJA situation today, or what that means to our future working for MM. Why are our jobs no longer available? Will more be forthcoming? Will we be stuck with either no work or work from many different hospitals we're not familiar with? What is the immediate future of the American MT/ME? This whole situation depresses me terribly. Seeing our profession go under is like experiencing the death of a ...

Is It Important To Take A Coding Program That Is
Jul 29, 2013

or does it mostly boil down to going to a school with a good curriculum and then getting a certification? I'm trying to decide between a community college program and Career Step.  The community college program, I won't be able to graduate from until 2015, which seems like forever, but with Career Step, I could be done in a year from now.  Career Step is AHIMA approved, and MModal (my current employer) told me that the AHIMA approval is important. ...

Important To Consider If You Work As An IC On VA Accounts And
Aug 09, 2013

There are several threads on the Company Board about this right now.  The McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act provides that if you work for an MTSO and you are working on Veterans Administration (VA) or other federal contracts, you must be classified as an employee and be paid a prevailing hourly wage with some specific benefits.  You can file a complaint anonymously with the Department of Labor in the state in which your MTSO is located.  I have spoken to several people at ...

Lack Of Important Communication
Oct 22, 2013

There really needs to be a change in the level of meaningful communication.  A couple of weeks ago all of a sudden, there were no status updates.  It went from 2 a day even on the weekends to nothing for a week.  When I finally got one, the supervisor explained they were trying to determine how the work flowed without the status updates.  If I was a supervisor, that would scare me because it sounds like they are looking at ways of having less management personnel.  But, ...

3 Very Important Questions Have Surfaced So Far
Mar 11, 2014

Before moving forward and signing a contract for this position, it sounds like the 3 most important questions that keep coming up are: 1.  What can we expect to be paid after the training is complete.  If this isn't important to you then no big deal, but for most of us it was a very important element suspiciously missing from yesterday's email and no one should EVER sign a contract of employment (especially for 2 years) without FIRST knowing and being clear about what they w ...

Important Work? Couldn't Be
Aug 07, 2014

It's ironic how we get emails about how important we are to patient's medical care and safety, yet we get paid a beggar's rate. Flipping hamburgers is a more important job; no customer wants a burnt hamburger, which explains why you can make more money at McDonald's. ...

Important Video About Automation
Aug 17, 2014

ALL jobs that can be automated, are.   Not addressed in the film was the costs of making and maintaining these robots.  Also not mentioned was the fate of unwanted and unneeded horses..../people. ...

Important Conference Call Tomorrow?
Sep 10, 2013

Important conference call tomorrow.  Wonder what is going on now. ...

Reposting This Because I Forgot 2 Important Tips
Jun 27, 2014

So, I'm not really asking for a show of hands here, but have you been "moved" in the last 2, 3 weeks or so to a hospital account in the upper northwest part of the country that is rather a booger-bear to learn? It is INTENTIONAL, you will be FIESA'd to death if you are not already. (You were likely told that they need you there because it is a difficult account to keep staffed, at least that is what they told the last person). Just warning you. Be on the lookout for that one plan ...

IMPORTANT NOTE. Check Your Line Counts.
May 25, 2010

I POSTED DOWN BELOW EARLIER ABOUT MESSED UP LINE COUNTS.  We are hitting the holiday weekend.  Line counts are off. Go to your statistics and type in date May 1 through May 15 and what does it show you? Go to your statistics and type in dates May 16 to todays date and what does it show you?  Type in May 19 to 21 or May 18 to 19 and what does it show you?  EVERYONE SHOULD CALL ON THIS.  Supposedly, there is not enough people calling for them to do anything about this. ...

An Important (shocking) Report Just Released About Some Schools
Aug 02, 2012

A report from a two-year study was just released about 30 of the very large colleges that are approved for federal financial aid. Of the students who enrolled in these large for-profit colleges during the 2008-09 academic year, 54 percent withdrew by summer 2010 without earning a degree, according to the report. Nearly all of those students are being left with a huge amount of debt that they can't discharge, even through bankruptcy. Rather than putting most of the money into student resourc ...

VA Hospitals
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone ever transcribed for a VA Hospital? If so, would you mind telling me likes versus dislikes, similarities versus differences? I have 17 years of acute care experience but was wondering if VA Hospitals had any major differences. Thank you. ...

Who Has The 500 Plus Bed Hospitals?
Jun 08, 2014

Bored to friggin death with the little op notes from small hospitals.  Used to work for a large one out of California and there was never a dull moment with the dictation from that facility.  Stupid me.. I moved on when that company was bought out.  Should have stuck it out for the account alone. ...